Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
woops. repeat. for the top of the page.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...fcee622c29.html

Will reiterate, the new witnesses are "from Jefferson County" "Outsiders" "not part of the community" and a few other Post-Dispatch codewords for "White". The story substantially matches the initial reporting, where Darren Wilson chased Mike Brown shooting, then Mike put his hands up, turned around, and got shot six times at moderate range. It substantially discounts the right-wing fever dream of "Crazed monster-negro bull-rushed Officer Goodcop with his savage marijuana strength"

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
It's like white people in suburbs believe that every race is either inherently good or bad.

If one person of the race does something, welp they are all like that no if ands buts questions or fuss.
Well, I guess all white people are serial killers. See I knew there was something odd about those blue empty eyes.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 6, 2014

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
People don't find juggling complicated narratives when they don't mesh comfortably with their own biases. Reality is much easier to live when when everything fits into a simple, single black and white narrative and gently caress if there aren't a buffet of intellectually dishonest methods for anyone desperately hammering the round peg into the square hole to make sure it stays that way.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Fromfacebook:

quote:

More gems from Mississippi governor James K. Vardaman. He gives some telling stats on "negro criminality." It is amazing that when black people were enslaved, there was less perceived reason to put them in chains. It was only after they became "free" that their behavior became problematic and "criminal."

""I want to do what is best for both races. I am the friend of the family’s best friend. But I am friendly to him as a friend of the family whom I expect to live, act, and die as a friend of the family. A great deal of money, more than $250,000,000, has been spent since the years 1861-65 by the white people of the North and the South in a foolish endeavor to make more of the friend of the family than God Almighty ever intended. How well these efforts have succeeded, this extract from an address by a Northern man attests. I want to call attention to the fact that these statistics are entirely free from the suspicion of “race prejudice,” for they were collected by Professor Wilcox, of Cornell University, a native of Massachusetts, and Dr. Winston, president of the North Carolina Agricultural College. These are the conclusions.

1 The negro element is the most criminal in our population.
2 The negro is much more criminal as a free man than he was as a slave.
3 The negro is increasing in criminality with fearful rapidity being one-third more criminal in 1890 than 1880.
4 The negroes who can read and write are more criminal than the illiterate, which is true of no other element of our population.
5 The negro is nearly three times as criminal in the Northeast, where he has not been a slave for a hundred years, and three and a half times as criminal in the Northwest, where he has never been a slave, as in the South, where he was a slave until 1865.
6 The negro is three times as criminal as a native white, and once and a half as criminal as the foreign white, consisting in many cases of the scum of Europe.
More than seven-tenths of the negro criminals are under thirty years of age.

And Dr. Wilcox is not the only man who has demonstrated the fallacy of the contention of the superficial student who sees in the school-house and booklearning the panacea for the ills which render the friend of the family unfit to perform any other function in the economy of the world than that of a servant or menial..."--Governor James K. Vardaman of Mississippi, Published in Leslie’s Weekly, February 04, 1904

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bassguitarhero posted:

Fromfacebook:

I like how he worked in a German/Irish/etc immigrant insult.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

bassguitarhero posted:

Fromfacebook:

:eyepop:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Well that quote was from 1904, so just under a decade before Woodrow "Birth of a Nation was history writ with lightning" Wilson gets elected president so hardly that out of the ordinary. Or were you bugging out over that someone would, in 2014, post it (presumably) unironically?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Evil_Greven posted:

People don't care about the truth. They only care about their opinions. The truth gets twisted to fit those opinions or ignored when it cannot be.

This. I pointed out to a relative that the bulletholes in the top of Brown's head were most likely to have been made when he was already kneeling (unless Darren Wilson was like 12 feet tall and somehow that part of the story got lost in the shuffle) and she hissed the Brown probably jumped up on the hood of the cop car and got shot up from below. You know, because THAT fits with what witnesses said and also is a real thing that really happens....

SectumSempra posted:

It's like white people in suburbs believe that every race is either inherently good or bad.

If one person of the race does something, welp they are all like that no if ands buts questions or fuss.
Well, I guess all white people are serial killers. See I knew there was something odd about those blue empty eyes.

NOOOOO HE WAS JUST MENTALLY ILL!!!!! YOOOOUUUU CANNNN'T BLAME HIM FOR THATTTTT; HE HAD A BAD CHIIIILLLLLHOOOD/GOT REJECTED BY A GIIIIIIRRRRRLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 6, 2014

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
oops dp

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well that quote was from 1904, so just under a decade before Woodrow "Birth of a Nation was history writ with lightning" Wilson gets elected president so hardly that out of the ordinary. Or were you bugging out over that someone would, in 2014, post it (presumably) unironically?

It's not out if the ordinary but I imagine it's a little jarring to see it every once in a while so direct. Then you see just what the starting point was and how far it's come.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Captain_Maclaine posted:

nope just "whoa that's some unbelievable racism"

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Well In this case I'm going to drag the racial discussion into this but related

What side of history will you be on

It's about an 18 minute read, long but I think it was quite good.
It's from the perspective of a white person aware of institutionalized racism.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is membership on a grand jury a matter of public record? Along similar lines, is there as much worry about tainting the grand jury as there is about tainting the trial's jury?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Why do you think the grand jury will see this evidence?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I hate accidental double penetration.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr. Faustus posted:

I hate accidental double penetration.

Must run in the family.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
what the actual gently caress??

St Louis police offer to fingerprint all the children in #Ferguson

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

What, no DNA sample taking as well?

I'm honestly surprised it isn't compulsory in some areas.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't those just used in case a kid goes missing/ is kidnapped? I know I had my fingerprints done (not by police) for that reason.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's not uncommon to protect children, but it's extremely tone deaf given the current state of police/community relations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah getting kids fingerprinted is so you can help identify kidnapped kids, I was fingerprinted and I'm a white boy from Boston.

http://www.childidprogram.com/the-id-kit/how-fingerprints-find-a-child

The timing however is... indelicate.

E: Beaten like a kidnapped child.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nckdictator posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't those just used in case a kid goes missing/ is kidnapped? I know I had my fingerprints done (not by police) for that reason.

It all goes in the same FBI database I'm sure. So as well as making it a bit easier to identify and locate kidnapping victims and runaways it also makes it easier to identify anyone wanted for anything else.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

They're using an EZ Child ID kit, which is (supposedly) designed not to store any of the data.

I'm betting it's voluntary, too.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I was fingerprinted 20+ years ago and I've never heard of a case where it came up? Maybe some very small amount of missing persons cases?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm not even sure how useful fingerprinting would be for a kidnapping. You're most likely not going to be taking prints unless you have the living or dead body in police custody, in which case there's a billion ways that identifying the kid could be resolved; more than likely if the kid is alive, it did get resolved because you only have the kid from finding and arresting the kidnapper.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
So, remember the Wal-Mart Shooting? Remember the former Marine witness who called the cops about Crawford holding an assault rifle, "pointing it at people” and “waving it around” ?

quote:

One month later, Ritchie puts it differently. “At no point did he shoulder the rifle and point it at somebody,” the 24-year-old said, in an interview with the Guardian. He maintained that Crawford was “waving it around”, which attorneys for Crawford’s family deny.

Ritchie told several reporters after the 5 August shooting that he was an “ex-marine”. When confronted with his seven-week service record, however, he confirmed that he had been quickly thrown out of the US marine corps in 2008 after being declared a “fraudulent enlistment”, over what he maintains was simply a mixup over his paperwork.

Ugh.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Those guns that aren't bullet guns have red ends to make it obvious to police that.......

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Not that one

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

i am harry posted:

Those guns that aren't bullet guns have red ends to make it obvious to police that.......

Yeah, but what race is the person holding it?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

i am harry posted:

How would the police know, he had it pointed down at the ground the whole time.

edit: VVV :thejoke:

logger fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 7, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

logger posted:

How would the police know, he had it pointed down at the ground the whole time.
The red tips, on toy guns that have them, are cylindrical; you can see them from the side of the gun as well. Obviously they wouldn't be nearly as useful if you couldn't tell that a gun was fake until it was pointed directly at you.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not even sure how useful fingerprinting would be for a kidnapping.

It's potentially useful if the kidnapper checks into a hotel room, eats at a diner, or does anything that fleeing people do. Being able to identify the child's fingerprints is better than not being able to - although I'm not sure how frequently this is used since it'd be more of an investigation tool than headline-maker. "Missing Child's Fingerprints Confirmed at St Louis Denny's" isn't going to sell newspapers, but it might provide other, more useful leads.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

moths posted:

It's potentially useful if the kidnapper checks into a hotel room, eats at a diner, or does anything that fleeing people do. Being able to identify the child's fingerprints is better than not being able to - although I'm not sure how frequently this is used since it'd be more of an investigation tool than headline-maker. "Missing Child's Fingerprints Confirmed at St Louis Denny's" isn't going to sell newspapers, but it might provide other, more useful leads.

In that case, though, parents will have contacted police and will have been able to provide a wealth of samples of the child's fingerprints from places around their home. Might take a while to get a clean sample, but it's not crazy.

I think the "child's body found" scenario is the one they're trying to solve. The story about kidnappers staying at diners and hotels I think is something they tell parents to sugarcoat the fact that the only scenario where this kind of fingerprinting would be super useful is when a child's body is found.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ErIog posted:

In that case, though, parents will have contacted police and will have been able to provide a wealth of samples of the child's fingerprints from places around their home. Might take a while to get a clean sample, but it's not crazy.
If you've got a possible sighting you can check for prints to confirm it.

Probably more useful in the a parental kidnapping scenario than anywhere else.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.
Given everything we've learned about the police in Ferguson over the past month, I have my doubts that they'd even bother with more than a token investigation into a black kidnapping.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always thought that fingerprinting kids was intended to help with stuff like "Severed Hand Found in Gutter Positively Linked to Abducted Child".

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Holy poo poo, that fingerprinting is the textbook example of "wrong place wrong time". You could argue the benefits or intentions all day long but that would be ignoring how utterly stupid the idea was in the first place in this particular incident.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Astrofig posted:

GOT REJECTED BY A GIIIIIIRRRRRLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

Do people really use this excuse? If I flipped out whenever I got rejected, the entire Pacific Northwest would be a charnel house.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Do people really use this excuse? If I flipped out whenever I got rejected, the entire Pacific Northwest would be a charnel house.

there was quite a bit of apologism like that about the Santa Barbara shootings, even outside MRA/PUA circles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Plus that kid who stabbed the object of his obsession to death when she refused to go to prom with him.

• Locked thread