Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, interesting to see how this plays out. I guess if the Wacom takes off like crazy and gets mad adoption in other apps then it may force Microsoft's hand. Or they may just do it. I guess I'm being pessimistic, but if it happens then all the better for me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That Wacom looks nice. I'll be watching for additional app support.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Martytoof posted:

I actually would be surprised because then it would be viable competition for a Surface note taker. I mean viable in a really loose sense since there's probably not that much overlap between an iPad and a Surface in terms of end users, but I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to just give the Mac side the "bare minimum" OneNote experience and save the great stylus experience for their Windows users.

And since MS dumped Wacom on the Surface 3 I doubt they're going to do much to help integrate their API into a one-off app for iPad.

Just my two cents, of course.

You mean the Microsoft that has released Office for the iPad but not for Metro? The software side cares about getting their software out a lot more than supporting MS hardware sales.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
One thing I'm wondering about is the parallax effect (as has been dubbed by some sites at least) where there's a disconnect between where the tip is touching vs where it's recognized on screen. Hopefully the new iPads have laminated glass like the iPhones to help reduce this, but until then Adonit has been getting around it with a little offset in their API. Not sure if Wacom has something similar, but I'm more curious how they compare with non aware apps if you have any in your workflow.

And other than price difference I think the size might be a factor for me, I remember some reviews saying the Adonit one felt a bit chunky. The Wacom is only like 1mm less but that might be a noticeable difference in hand cause I'm used to thinner pens/pencils to begin with, just noticed even the nib is thinner too. They also charge with a standard micro USB port on the stylus vs the little extra doodads you need with the Adonit and Adobe ones.

fordan posted:

You mean the Microsoft that has released Office for the iPad but not for Metro? The software side cares about getting their software out a lot more than supporting MS hardware sales.
They haven't released one for Metro yet? :psyduck: I forgot about the lack of touch Office on Windows and that the Mac/iOS team was separate, I guess I'm just used to the latter being way behind.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

japtor posted:

One thing I'm wondering about is the parallax effect (as has been dubbed by some sites at least) where there's a disconnect between where the tip is touching vs where it's recognized on screen. Hopefully the new iPads have laminated glass like the iPhones to help reduce this, but until then Adonit has been getting around it with a little offset in their API. Not sure if Wacom has something similar, but I'm more curious how they compare with non aware apps if you have any in your workflow.

And other than price difference I think the size might be a factor for me, I remember some reviews saying the Adonit one felt a bit chunky. The Wacom is only like 1mm less but that might be a noticeable difference in hand cause I'm used to thinner pens/pencils to begin with, just noticed even the nib is thinner too. They also charge with a standard micro USB port on the stylus vs the little extra doodads you need with the Adonit and Adobe ones.

They haven't released one for Metro yet? :psyduck: I forgot about the lack of touch Office on Windows and that the Mac/iOS team was separate, I guess I'm just used to the latter being way behind.

I recently picked up the new adonit pen. It is a slight bit chunkier than a standard pen but it still feels pretty nice. The offset thing is true and is really terrible IMO. In most apps that support the pen you have to set your wrist position. As long as you always write in this EXACT position you'll be fine. But the effect is really noticeable if you change angles at all. I stopped using the pen and went back to my old wacom bamboo.

Chances are I'll pick up the new wacom pen as well, I'm a nerd for styluses I guess. But I honestly don't have much hope for it.

EDIT: I will add I mostly use the pen for taking notes, but it seems to work better in the adobe apps for drawing. Adobe line is pretty awesome.

spaced ninja fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 5, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any decent 3rd party right angle lightning connectors? My iPad is probably going to sit on my nightstand in landscape mode when I'm not using it, and having that cable just sticking out to the right is annoying. If I could get something that would at least come out right and immediately run down the side of the iPad that would be preferable.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Martytoof posted:

Are there any decent 3rd party right angle lightning connectors? My iPad is probably going to sit on my nightstand in landscape mode when I'm not using it, and having that cable just sticking out to the right is annoying. If I could get something that would at least come out right and immediately run down the side of the iPad that would be preferable.

These are the ones we use on the iPad cart at work, the connector is pretty solid and it's $4 less than the official cable.

http://www.lilitab.com/products/right-angle-lighting-cable

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That looks exactly like what I'm looking for, thanks!

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hello, I need some information. Recently my ipad came up missing after my roommate had some houseguests stay over for a few days. I'm suspecting that they may have taken it, but I need evidence. The two resources I could use acquire remote proof are my iTunes account, and my roommate's iPhone, which has my iPad as a contact. Is there any way I can use these two things to prove that the ipad is still being used, and not just lost in my home somewhere? i.e, does sending a message to an idevice that's drained its battery show up differently on the sender's device? Any information would be helpful, I did not use my ipad heavily, so I'm somewhat deficient in knowing what may or may not be an option. Thanks in advance.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Silver Snail posted:

Hello, I need some information. Recently my ipad came up missing after my roommate had some houseguests stay over for a few days. I'm suspecting that they may have taken it, but I need evidence. The two resources I could use acquire remote proof are my iTunes account, and my roommate's iPhone, which has my iPad as a contact. Is there any way I can use these two things to prove that the ipad is still being used, and not just lost in my home somewhere? i.e, does sending a message to an idevice that's drained its battery show up differently on the sender's device? Any information would be helpful, I did not use my ipad heavily, so I'm somewhat deficient in knowing what may or may not be an option. Thanks in advance.
If you login to your iTunes account on https://www.icloud.com there'll be an option called "Find My iPhone" - ignore the name, iPads are covered too. If your iPad is still connected to wifi (or is a cellular one) then you can see its last known location and will be able to remotely lock it and make it start beeping the next time it gets an internet connection so long as it hasn't been completely wiped.

When you go in to "Find My iPhone", click "All Devices" at the top then your iPad's name. From there a window will pop up that lets you play a sound, lock it, or wipe it remotely.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 7, 2014

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

So another question then. Roughly how long would 10% battery life last on an ipad mini in sleep mode?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

The Silver Snail posted:

So another question then. Roughly how long would 10% battery life last on an ipad mini in sleep mode?
5 days.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've installed the iOS 8 GM on my iPhone and it's working just fine - but when I try to install the iPad version of the GM to my iPad Air, it sits on "Extracting software..." with no movement on the progress bar and just seems to do nothing. Anyone else having this problem?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've installed the iOS 8 GM on my iPhone and it's working just fine - but when I try to install the iPad version of the GM to my iPad Air, it sits on "Extracting software..." with no movement on the progress bar and just seems to do nothing. Anyone else having this problem?

Nope. I got it on my iPhone 5 and iPad Air no problem. Had weird signal issues with my phone until I rebooted though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Installed on my iPad Air just fine. Maybe your download was corrupted?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not sure, I'll try downloading it again in work tomorrow and give it another shot!

My work PC is horrendous though, so I'll bring the existing file home on a USB stick and see if it works any better at home.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Having SMS conversations from my iPad is slick.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
SMS continuity was the most useful announced for iOS 8/Yosemite. It's awesome.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How does this work? Does the SMS stuff go through the cloud or does the iPhone send it right to the iPad via BT or wifi? I can't seem to get that to work even though I have Handoff turned on for both devices.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

How does this work? Does the SMS stuff go through the cloud or does the iPhone send it right to the iPad via BT or wifi? I can't seem to get that to work even though I have Handoff turned on for both devices.
Pretty sure it's through the ~+~*~+~CLOUD~+~*~+~

Though maybe it is locally. I did just get a phone call on my iPad and I can't imagine that's bouncing from my iPad all the way to some server, back to my house, then through my iPhone. :shrug:

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Pretty sure it's through the ~+~*~+~CLOUD~+~*~+~

Though maybe it is locally. I did just get a phone call on my iPad and I can't imagine that's bouncing from my iPad all the way to some server, back to my house, then through my iPhone. :shrug:

I was under the impression both devices had to be on the same wifi network for it work, meaning it's local.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Venkmanologist posted:

I was under the impression both devices had to be on the same wifi network for it work, meaning it's local.

You're probably right. Our network blocks tons of ports for whatever reason. I'll monkey with it at home.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Venkmanologist posted:

I just turned Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off for both my iPad and iPhone, so there was no way for them to communicate locally, just via LTE. I then sent and received SMS with my iPad and it still bounced through the iPhone. So SMS, at least, can be done through the cloud. Presumably the iPhone just needs to be on and accessible via wide-area Bonjour.

Not sure about calls yet.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
So your iPad has a SIM slot/LTE?

If the iPad is just of the plain WiFi variety, that'd be pretty miraculous if Handoff worked without WiFi.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zwille posted:

So your iPad has a SIM slot/LTE?
Yes.

Also my iPhone received a call in this state and the iPad did not ring, so it appears that only SMS Continuity works through iCloud. Phone calls will require a local network, which is about what I expected.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Yes.

Also my iPhone received a call in this state and the iPad did not ring, so it appears that only SMS Continuity works through iCloud. Phone calls will require a local network, which is about what I expected.

That makes sense. I suppose voice would be a lot more data to push through the cloud.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Edit: Never mind

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 11, 2014

M_A_C
Jan 23, 2001

So what are the best options for a cracked screen on my iPad 4 128gb? It's only cracked on the side not visable on actual LCD if that matters? $300 from applestore seems crazy. $150 from other stores seems kinda crazy. $50 to do it myself, seems like it's pretty complicated. Is it worth it? Can I sell it with the cracked screen you guys think?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is truth. My friend SMS'd me a question that required non-trivial amounts of typing and I was mildly annoyed until I realized that I could reply from either Mac on my desk, or my iPad :smug:

Now we just have to wait for Swype to hit the app store and I will be set!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Martytoof posted:

Now we just have to wait for Swype to hit the app store and I will be set!

SwiftKey announced they're launching on iOS 8 launch day. Which is better on android, Swype or SwiftKey?

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Killer Queen posted:

Edit: Never mind

I'm having the same problem you were with getting text message continuity working. Did you find a way?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MrNonacho posted:

I'm having the same problem you were with getting text message continuity working. Did you find a way?

Yeah it's not working for me either. Sometimes the messages app on my iPad or Mac will sync up and add a poo poo ton of old messages but I can't send any. Any ideas?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

M_A_C posted:

So what are the best options for a cracked screen on my iPad 4 128gb? It's only cracked on the side not visable on actual LCD if that matters? $300 from applestore seems crazy. $150 from other stores seems kinda crazy. $50 to do it myself, seems like it's pretty complicated. Is it worth it? Can I sell it with the cracked screen you guys think?

How much do you want for it? Feel free to PM.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MrNonacho posted:

It randomly started working between my iPhone and iPad out of the blue. I wish there was an easily accessible settings pane for this stuff, considering it's a flagship feature... :iiam:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 11, 2014

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
It works fine for my iPhone and iPad, but not my wife's. I got the popup right away asking if I wanted to forward messages, but I either missed it or it never showed up for her. I've tried signing out/in of iCloud, iMessage and Facetime but so far no luck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

101 posted:

SwiftKey announced they're launching on iOS 8 launch day. Which is better on android, Swype or SwiftKey?

SwiftKey is the iOS8 predictive keyboard plus swiping. Hopefully the Apple implementation doesn't let them massively change how the keyboard looks, though, because SwiftKey is really, really ugly on Android.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

SwiftKey is the iOS8 predictive keyboard plus swiping. Hopefully the Apple implementation doesn't let them massively change how the keyboard looks, though, because SwiftKey is really, really ugly on Android.

This is true, but you can change the themes at least. The general consensus is if you primarily swipe, Swype is slightly better, and if not, Swiftkey is better. Both can do tapping or swiping, though. Also the Google Keyboard is better than either one, and hopefully Google releases it for iOS!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I've recently switched from SwiftKey to Fleksy and I like it and it will also be available on iOS8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MrNonacho posted:

It works fine for my iPhone and iPad, but not my wife's. I got the popup right away asking if I wanted to forward messages, but I either missed it or it never showed up for her. I've tried signing out/in of iCloud, iMessage and Facetime but so far no luck.

I'm not getting the popup at all. I just did a fresh wipe on my iPhone and iPad. I didn't even restore from backup. Everything else for handoff works except for SMS relay.