Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Diana out of Bake Off due to illness :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Where did you get this hot scoop?
Also, The Honourable Woman's ending was good. No one saluted a baby. Still not entirely sure it makes a great deal of sense though, but it felt plausible up til the end.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

tdrules posted:

Diana out of Bake Off due to illness :toot:

It was filmed in like May so if this is true its nothing to do with the uproar

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Pissflaps posted:

The gutless fucker got in her way. I'm glad he's gone.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The Big Taff Man posted:

It was filmed in like May so if this is true its nothing to do with the uproar
She dropped out after the ice cream thing happened and won't be in the next episode, join the dots Taff, join the dots

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Quite a coincidence, that.

The editing on this show is bothering me loads this season. It has a Geordie Shore feel to it.

Edit: Makes me wonder if Iain kept schtum and Diane's "crime" only became apparent after a rough edit in the following days?

At which point they faced the dilemma of editing the crime out of the show and risk Iain/others revealing the "shocking truth" or being reasonably "honest" about what happened (whilst not showing the exact length of time the ice-cream was out) and giving Diane the polite option of withdrawing due to "illness"?

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 28, 2014

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Where did you get this hot scoop?
Also, The Honourable Woman's ending was good. No one saluted a baby. Still not entirely sure it makes a great deal of sense though, but it felt plausible up til the end.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-and-smell.html

quote:

Diana Beard, the Great British Bake Off contestant accused of sabotaging a fellow contestant’s chances, was revealed to have quit the show yesterday after a freak fall robbed her of her sense of taste and smell.

In a freak accident, the pensioner, who lives near Whitchurch in Shropshire, said: "I fainted - which I have never done - and bashed my head, severing my olfactory nerve.
That sounds like a proper :confused: injury but my grandma falls directly onto her face regularly and looks like a loving monster afterwards so I can see this happening and her not wanting to go on TV looking awful.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Poor woman :( Probably the worst thing to happen to someone who loves baking.

The way the episode was presented, I was fully expecting a Hell's Kitchen style blow out with ripped off microphones but instead it came across as Iain getting incredibly fed up and leaving to cool down for a bit. I felt pretty bad for him when the judging came around, it reminded me of being the only person in class who forgot their homework.

I'm really hoping they tone down the reaction shots and comments out of context, I don't want a program about cakes to be treated with the life-or-death seriousness of Masterchef.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's on BBC1 now, it has to be dramatic. Can't have twee cheerfulness too close to Eastenders, you'd risk some sort of matter-antimatter explosion.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Ireland Sucks posted:

That sounds like a proper :confused: injury but my grandma falls directly onto her face regularly and looks like a loving monster afterwards so I can see this happening and her not wanting to go on TV looking awful.

Given she supposedly had a fall the day before and then lost her sense of taste and smell thus making her unable to cook it is a bit fortuitous. No word if she had any visible injuries to show from this opportune fall.

Also Iain has come out saying that his Ice Cream was out for a lot more than just the 40 seconds than has been mentioned. Does seem like there is a lot of bizarre damage control going on to protect a 69 year old Saboteur.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ukle posted:

Does seem like there is a lot of bizarre damage control going on to protect a 69 year old Saboteur.

Tbf the BBC in the past has gone to much greater lengths to shield creepy pensioners from facing justice for their actions.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
I imagine Mrs Brown's Boys is a pretty polarising programme but Brendan O'Carroll's episode of Who Do You Think You Are is great insight into the Irish troubles in the 1920's.

No surprise I didn't learn about this stuff in History :/

Edit: confused a rugby player with a cross dresser

tdrules fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 28, 2014

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

tdrules posted:

Mrs Brown's Boys ... Brian O'Driscoll

Swing and a miss

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goatface posted:

It's on BBC1 now, it has to be dramatic. Can't have twee cheerfulness too close to Eastenders, you'd risk some sort of matter-antimatter explosion.

At least we have Martha for the the twee and cheerful child-like delight at every tiny thing to happen.

And I hope that when I go grey, I do it with half as much style as Chetna. That poo poo's impressive.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

ukle posted:

Given she supposedly had a fall the day before and then lost her sense of taste and smell thus making her unable to cook it is a bit fortuitous. No word if she had any visible injuries to show from this opportune fall.

She must have had a freudian slip.

I've been watching bake off not because I enjoy the food or the contestants or anything, but the slowly mounting tension. I wish there was a meat equivalent, or cheese. Shame BBC3 went along with Butcher of the Year. Has BBC3 gone yet?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

tdrules posted:

I imagine Mrs Brown's Boys is a pretty polarising programme but Brendan O'Carroll's episode of Who Do You Think You Are is great insight into the Irish troubles in the 1920's.

I've never even seen the program until yesterday when I randomly caught John Bishop's episode, which was pretty interesting just to see how highly regarded minstrel (black face) players were during the late 1800s. I noticed Stephen Fry did an episode while watching a Youtube documentary he and Alan Davies did about the emotional response to music and the effect it has on the body using Alan's first opera last night too. Will have to check this out since I'm shamefully unlearned on the history of my own country, even recent stuff.

I've been poking around the forum to see if anyone was mentioning "50 Ways to Kill Your Mammy" and haven't seen anything about it. Did anyone else here even catch it when it aired Monday? Watching a 70 year old woman firing off a machine gun and then tazer her son had me in stitches and I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the more wild antics the show has planned, like wrestling an alligator, snake charming, tarantula hunting, white water rapids riding and so on. It reminds me a lot of "An Idiot Abroad", but fixing the two biggest issues I had with the series: no Ricky Gervais or Stephen Merchant and with a host who was normally a lot happier to be out of their depth.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Just saw Duck Quacks Don't Echo, it's atrocious. It's like QI except if Stephen Fry wasn't there and if they spent the whole episode on one of their meandering trivial interludes.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Whoever was asking about Would I Lie to You, it's back on the 12th at 8:30.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Quasimango posted:

except if Stephen Fry wasn't there

Surely that's a selling point by now? I like Fry, but he's so over-exposed that I instinctively groan whenever I hear his voice.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Quasimango posted:

Just saw Duck Quacks Don't Echo, it's atrocious. It's like QI except if Stephen Fry wasn't there and if they spent the whole episode on one of their meandering trivial interludes.
I'm having a horrible vision in which both the host and all four guests are cloned copied of Alan Davies (two with sex changes to met the 'no all male panel show' rule).

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I've just discovered Him & Her. Its bloody fantastic, why did I not figure that out before? Oh right, BBC3

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bogmonster posted:

I've just discovered Him & Her. Its bloody fantastic, why did I not figure that out before? Oh right, BBC3

Just finished rewatching that a few days ago.

Laura is one of the greatest sitcom antagonists of all time.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Just finished rewatching that a few days ago.

Laura is one of the greatest sitcom antagonists of all time.

Genuinely one of the most appalling creations in all comedy history; it's great.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Richard Herring is recording a new series of the Leicester Square Podcasts at the end of the month, with the November 24th finale being a TMWRNJ reunion with Stewart Lee and as many of the other cast members as he can muster.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That bake-off technical was hilariously tragic.

Also the words "perfectly poached pear pies" makes my insides all tingle.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Richard Herring is recording a new series of the Leicester Square Podcasts at the end of the month, with the November 24th finale being a TMWRNJ reunion with Stewart Lee and as many of the other cast members as he can muster.

My mum's birthday is around this date, she loves Stewart Lee and every single year I try to get tickets and by the time I find out they're all sold out. Last year we ended up getting tickets on a day she wasn't in the country and I went with my partner instead and the year before there was a cock-up with the tickets at the box office and we ended standing at the bar for the whole show. This year she is both on another continent and there are no tickets.

Curse you Stewart Lee and your popularity! Curse you comedy attending London liberal inteligentsia elite who bought tickets before me! :argh:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Not TV but the beeb: there's going to be a Radio 4 adaptation of Good Omens starring Mark Heap and Peter Serafinowicz as Aziraphale and Crowley respectively. Also Paterson Joseph as Famine. And a few other people. I want to know who Simon Jones and Clive Russell are playing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/r4-good-omens

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

eating only apples posted:

Not TV but the beeb: there's going to be a Radio 4 adaptation of Good Omens starring Mark Heap and Peter Serafinowicz as Aziraphale and Crowley respectively. Also Paterson Joseph as Famine. And a few other people. I want to know who Simon Jones and Clive Russell are playing.

Delightful! Good Omens was one of my favourites as a teenager, and it would probably adapt better to radio than it would to TV or cinema, given the way the humour is so heavily dependant on wordplay. Look forward to the scene where Crowley and Aziraphael have a meandering conversation on the nature of eternity, CS Lewis and the Sound of Music while getting astonishingly rat-arsed on wine in the London Ritz.

As for Clive Russell, surely he must play Shadwell, the Witchfinder Sergeant, and most Northern Man on Earth.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

eating only apples posted:

That's a brain-meltingly good combination of leads. Have to wait a while for it though, from the link:

quote:

Fans will have to wait excitedly to hear the final drama as it is currently scheduled to air in December. It will broadcast across a week in five half-hour episodes and culminate in an hour-long final apocalyptic showdown, on a Saturday, shortly before Woman’s Hour, should the world not actually end.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That's pretty drat good casting. Serafinowicz and Heap might be pretty much how I imagined Crowley and Aziraphale to sound.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Does anyone remember that time in neighbours when harold bishop tried to impress the hot blonde from the wolf of wall street with his insane rap skills and it caused him to have a heart attack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJ4OSyETNs

I do.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Does anyone remember that time in neighbours when harold bishop tried to impress the hot blonde from the wolf of wall street with his insane rap skills and it caused him to have a heart attack?

I do.

That dude be illin'.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BizarroAzrael posted:

That dude be illin'.

Please tell me he at least got to drop some beats in her for his troubles?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Ponce de Le0n posted:

I do.

Is this a warning against multi-culturalism? I've heard Australia's hot over that.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

This weeks' new Grand Designs was hilarious in its' utter disregard for building site health and safety regulations.

Was kind of like watching the opening scenes of Casualty, kept wondering who was going to drown in cement, lose a hand to a power saw or get squashed by a falling prefabricated wall being hoisted over a house by a crane driver asleep on the job.

The end result was a poky, unpainted chipboard hellhole, but it was flipping hilarious watching the inexperienced builder staring in terror as 2 tons of pressed spruce wood went flying past his stupid face.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Irisi posted:

This weeks' new Grand Designs was hilarious in its' utter disregard for building site health and safety regulations.

Was kind of like watching the opening scenes of Casualty, kept wondering who was going to drown in cement, lose a hand to a power saw or get squashed by a falling prefabricated wall being hoisted over a house by a crane driver asleep on the job.

The end result was a poky, unpainted chipboard hellhole, but it was flipping hilarious watching the inexperienced builder staring in terror as 2 tons of pressed spruce wood went flying past his stupid face.

Gonna have to watch this, the best episodes of Grand Designs are the ones where it starts lapsing into a mixture of Casualty, Scrapheap Challenge and Fawlty Towers.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

My Dobos Torte would've won bakeoff

I also saw the lack of an elimination coming a mile away.

Chetna's hair is amazing.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

twoot posted:

I also saw the lack of an elimination coming a mile away.

Chetna's hair is amazing.

Oh my goddddd, that's a beautiful piece of cakery you've got there.

Chetnas' hair is amazing, this is the truth, and I loved her torte-thing, with its' little sugary bubbles on it (kind of reminded me of a Dalek in chocolate-caramel form).

My favourite GBBO contestants are Nancy, who takes every opportunity to mock and belittle Paul Hollywood, and Richard the Builder, whose motto, in true builder-style is "eh, gently caress it, looks about right to me". But I fear Luis will win, because he is rather boringly perfect at pretty much everything.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ponce de Le0n posted:

I do.

Does anyone remember Bobby coming out of the fridge and gibing Ailsa the willies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05JYrfbGYAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

twoot posted:

Where's the caramel, though?