Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did they lower the rate of teeth from Tough Love at some point? I have it and 6 luck up pills and still shoot far more normal tears than teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Can you imagine how long it'll take for many of the combinations to be discovered and understood? Can you imagine how many BUGS will go unnoticed for weeks?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They announced this game over a year ago? Wild. I like this trailer a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6_C2ppkdVc

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Zoolooman posted:

Can you imagine how long it'll take for many of the combinations to be discovered and understood? Can you imagine how many BUGS will go unnoticed for weeks?

More importantly, I don't want to imagine how many more bugs will there be in Rebirth.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

At least Color Printer will not drive him/herself crazy, since the code will be harder to peak at this time. :D

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So this site has a "Rat Kings" group for SA goons that went and 100% Bad Rats. I was thinking we should make a "Platinum Gods" (or "Platinum Isaacs") group on Steam for this game. Don't know what else the group would be for besides lording it over other SA Goons, but I guess that's all the Bad Rats King group is for.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

At least Color Printer will not drive him/herself crazy, since the code will be harder to peak at this time. :D

They should open source the game just for CP.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tendales posted:

They should open source the game just for CP.

Don't do that. It'd result in hundreds of pages in the new Isaac thread taken up solely by posts of Color Printer screaming.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Black August posted:

Don't do that. It'd result in hundreds of pages in the new Isaac thread taken up solely by posts of Color Printer screaming.

You're saying that like it's not worth it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Honestly, I feel like it'll be a very competently made game, considering it is made in Not Actionscript 2 (seriously) Flash and someone who actually probably knows what the hell they're doing with what they're using.

Please

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Will it even be possible to open up the game and look through the code if it isn't flash?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I would be shocked if Rebirth were anywhere near as badly made as the original. A reminder that they stopped patching BoI not because it was finished and bug-free (ha!) but because it was so shoddily constructed that every new or altered bit code ground the game to a halt.

Captain No-mates posted:

Dark Boy is driving me insane, are there any handy tips which could help aside from get good? Its the last thing I need before platinum.

If you get the Headless Horseman's Horse, that's a good panic button. When you use it, you are invincible until you press an arrow key to execute the charge. You can still fire tears with the mouse, presumable because even the Edmund McMillen himself has never ever done that for more than a few seconds. So you can press space and just fire tears with the mouse until the entire room is dead, then hit an arrow key. The flight is a nice bonus.

drunken officeparty posted:

Will it even be possible to open up the game and look through the code if it isn't flash?

Unless they host the files on a server and stream them to your computer, sure. I would imagine a third party installing files onto your computer and making them impossible to access would be illegal, or at least a pain in the rear end.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ariong posted:

If you get the Headless Horseman's Horse, that's a good panic button. When you use it, you are invincible until you press an arrow key to execute the charge. You can still fire tears with the mouse, presumable because even the Edmund McMillen himself has never ever done that for more than a few seconds. So you can press space and just fire tears with the mouse until the entire room is dead, then hit an arrow key. The flight is a nice bonus.

:aaaaa:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

lordfrikk posted:

More importantly, I don't want to imagine how many more bugs will there be in Rebirth.
Even with more than twice the items it may be less because it's not loving flash(probably not tho)

IUG posted:

So this site has a "Rat Kings" group for SA goons that went and 100% Bad Rats. I was thinking we should make a "Platinum Gods" (or "Platinum Isaacs") group on Steam for this game. Don't know what else the group would be for besides lording it over other SA Goons, but I guess that's all the Bad Rats King group is for.
the bad rats group is more akin to a PTSD support group

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There are probably going to be a bunch of bugs just from how many item combinations there are and how hard it would be to test every combination, but at least this time around it should get fixed instead of players just having to know/remember what some combos (don't) do.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ariong posted:

I would be shocked if Rebirth were anywhere near as badly made as the original. A reminder that they stopped patching BoI not because it was finished and bug-free (ha!) but because it was so shoddily constructed that every new or altered bit code ground the game to a halt.

iirc after wrath of the lamb god, flash would crash every time they opened the game up.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Ariong posted:

I thought that coding in flash was a nightmare (or became a proper nightmare once too much stuff was added to the game). There were crashes involved but it wasn't nearly that bad.
Because this doesn't explain the existence of spider mod community fixes and the community remix.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Where might the super secret room be?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Where might the super secret room be?

Anywhere on the north side, the two west ends, and south or east of the shop.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
I think only south-west of the treasure room is valid.

Edit: North of the spike room too

quote:

this room type can only border one other regular room (but not a non-regular room, such as the Item Room). While adjacent to only one regular room, it can still also be next to the regular Secret Room. Note that the Super Secret Room can be next to a Spike Sacrifice Room.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turns out it was off the west end. Symmetry and stuff.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Is there some kind of trick to getting a ??? run off the ground? I never got around to unlocking the D6 and have no idea how to approach a run with no real health.

It's really about how lucky you are with your items. Anything that generates soul hearts (especially mitre and relic since they're passive) will help out a lot. ??? can steal devil deals if you have an item that gives invincibility and you have 3 soul hearts or more. Since you usually find more devil rooms with ???, that can be pretty helpful. When you pick up the polaroid things get a lot easier, sometimes you're lucky and it drops on an early floor. Whore of babylon is also a good item when you're ??? since it's always active.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

AbstractNapper posted:

Because this doesn't explain the existence of spider mod community fixes and the community remix.

I just assume some people are crazy and/or crazily dedicated. A lot of fan works must've required hours and hours of tinkering with limited tools.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Panniculus Rift posted:

Since you usually find more devil rooms with ???, that can be pretty helpful

A lot more. Soul heart damage doesn't affect your chances of seeing a devil room, so every floor cleared counts as a no-damage run. Bomb a beggar or two and it's all but guaranteed.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, I do believe I have broken the game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You say you broke the game? Why should I believe you :colbert:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Carbon dioxide posted:

Welp, I do believe I have broken the game.

Ah. I've seen this before in a movie.

A Ballchinian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=353vlb3VfAU&t=17s

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
The d20 + habit + d6 + portable slot is a hilarious combination. I think that's the fastest 9 kills on blue baby I've ever gotten. And that was with me dying by stupidity in the fight twice. I'm kicking myself for not screenshotting the absurdity at the end.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I thought I read somewhere that getting the Inner Eye removed the Mutant Spider from the item pools and vice versa, but I got both last night. I was stuck with Mutant Spider's 4 shots, though. I kinda hope Rebirth lets you get both and just spit out a huge shotgun blast of tears. Your fire rate would be crap but it shouldn't matter.

I got Wiggle Worm and Mom's Contact too. That was my best shot at finally beating the Chest as Eve, and it went to hell in a Daddy Longlegs room in the Cathedral. Even when I have the raw power, I never have enough health to survive.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

IMJack posted:

I thought I read somewhere that getting the Inner Eye removed the Mutant Spider from the item pools and vice versa, but I got both last night. I was stuck with Mutant Spider's 4 shots, though. I kinda hope Rebirth lets you get both and just spit out a huge shotgun blast of tears. Your fire rate would be crap but it shouldn't matter.

I got Wiggle Worm and Mom's Contact too. That was my best shot at finally beating the Chest as Eve, and it went to hell in a Daddy Longlegs room in the Cathedral. Even when I have the raw power, I never have enough health to survive.

Git gud. :smug:

Wiggle Worm is bad because it takes away your ability to aim shots, and I think it's Special which means you get fewer Special items that are actually good.

I've lost runs with better items, though. I've lost multiple runs with Polyphemus or Brimstone or Mom's Knife (I still don't like the knife :colbert:), but maybe not a combination of those three. Anytime you combine Polyphemus with something else, it's basically a gimme.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Honestly, I feel like it'll be a very competently made game, considering it is made in Not Actionscript 2 (seriously) Flash and someone who actually probably knows what the hell they're doing with what they're using.

Please

Fiiiiiiiine they should open source the game just for you, but randomly obfuscate all the variable and function names so you feel more at home.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The world record to getting Platinum God from scratch is about 20 hours. I don't feel like that's going to be attainable in Rebirth though. There's too many new items, which means even more frustration trying to get those last items to spawn. Not to mention some of them might only be found in super secret rooms that'll require specific combinations of items to find. I get the feeling that Edmund wants Platinum God to be a reward for playing long enough to find literally every secret, not a goal for achievement-grinders.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I decided I wanted to do Dark Boy again a few days ago because I am crazy and finally finished another no-hit Depths run. I got Dr. Fetus on the first level and Spirit of the Night in a Devil Room, then rolled an XL Depths and got lucky on the path to the bosses.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Been restarting The Purist for an hour now trying to get good starting items. I think this one is the one, you guys.

e: Just traded book of shadows for the pony from the first boss :v:

e2: Finally, all challenges done. :cool:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 9, 2014

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
I hope really funny things happen when you try to replicate exploits in rebirth like using the empress at the top of a boss room or exhaust the books in a book room.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I have a feeling the book pool will just refresh itself, plus I think there will be substantially more books.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as long as telepathy for dummies is either significantly buffed or removed i'm okay with it. why does a charge 3 item version of a permanent shot buff exist anyway

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

In my opinion, Telepathy for Dummies should have given you Spoon Bender AND the Magnet effect.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/97013539659/rebirth-gets-flashy

Talking about filters and the seeded run password system. Flash filter is of course the main filter that gets talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, who ever really wants the rosary? 3 soul hearts would be great, sure, if it wasn't taking a real item/buff away from you in the process. maybe if it gave you 6 of the loving things it would be ok

• Locked thread