Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Mega64 posted:

That's assuming FFXV comes out.

Here's a list of some things that have happened since Versus XIII (now XV) was announced:

• The entire Assassin's Creed franchise
  • The Mass Effect trilogy
  • The Uncharted trilogy
  • Persona 3 & 4, and every entry in the clusterfuck of spin-offs, movies, tv-shows, and musicals those games have spawned
  • The entire length of time for which the PlayStation 3 was Sony's latest home video game console, beginning to end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
We need a spinoff of that "What happened since Duke Nukem Forever was announced" site.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Since it's everyone's favorite touchstone, there have been over 8 seasons and 175 episodes of The Simpsons since it was announced.

Also, the original Final Fantasy has been remade or rereleased on 6 platforms.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair, it's only a year ahead of Half-Life 2: Episode 3/Half-Life 3 at this point! We may even see FFXV before we see a new Half-Life.

Both will come out before Last Guardian.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

kirbysuperstar posted:

We need a spinoff of that "What happened since Duke Nukem Forever was announced" site.

Ask and you shall receive:

Major developments and milestones since Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced

My personal favourite:

quote:

- The Curiosity rover was designed, engineered, fabricated, tested, integrated, launched and landed on the planet Mars.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I personally like the one about the announcement of Versus XIII now being chronologically closer to the release of Metal Gear Solid 1 than it is to the present day

Also that the announcement is older than twitter

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I decided to finally give FFXIII a whirl. The characters suck and this first boss keeps one shotting my party lead with Crystal Rain.

Does it get better? And when does the world open up?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Accretionist posted:

And when does the world open up?

Little bit before the endgame.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Little bit before the endgame.

Haha, they should just do a remake of Final Fantasy I and call it a day.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Unless we have a vastly different definition of "first", the first boss happens before the game even gives you the ability to do something wrong. How are you possibly having problems?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Unless we have a vastly different definition of "first", the first boss happens before the game even gives you the ability to do something wrong. How are you possibly having problems?

It's when they throw that tutorial at you about paradigm hopping. At full health with Fisty doing his defensive stance thing to mitigate damage, it's basically 50:50 whether my lead gets one-shotted from full health even with the health bonus thing. I think I must've skipped a fight where I get an even stronger health bonus thing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Accretionist posted:

I decided to finally give FFXIII a whirl. The characters suck and this first boss keeps one shotting my party lead with Crystal Rain.

Does it get better? And when does the world open up?

So you're in Chapter 3, which is not "first" by any definition of the word, but whatever. Snow has a Sentinel role that will make him (and by extension everyone) take less damage, combine that with Vanille as a medic when he starts using crystal rain and toss out a potion or two to keep yourself topped off. That attack will take you by surprise, but that's all he does that's really threatening.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This might sound like a dumb question, but you have been going into the Crystarium and powering up your characters, right?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Welp -- I did that once then forgot about it. I bet that's it.

Edit:

Artix posted:

So you're in Chapter 3, which is not "first" by any definition of the word, but whatever.

It's the first 'boss' that isn't just some 15 - 35 second tutorial's floating health bar

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 6, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

my marriage was shorter than FF15s development.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kanfy posted:

Probably not the best timing since CC includes everything from the original game, including the DLC tracks. Full list is here.

Oh god dammit :doh:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yoko Taro, this is your chance for a new game.

It sounds like they're looking for people who have degree of experience, such as two years of experience in console game development. There is a real wealth of Japanese talent that has effectively forced out of the company when publishers moved away from console development.

Now, that I've had more time to examine the job listings, there are a few interesting details that stand out. While the Unity experience is not a requirement, it's a bit unusual in the context of SE's technical roadmap. They already have the Luminous Studios engine and they were the first public licensee of Unreal Engine 4. The ad is aimed towards console development which would make Unity an unusual choice. Unity is typically known for cost efficient development on PC and mobile devices. Unreal Engine 4 has a more advanced feature set and has growing support for mobile devices. The Luminous Studios engine was made for their internal Japanese developers for high-end console game development.

Nevertheless, Unity has announced a number of key features in future updates, such as 64 bit support in Unity 5.. There was a big push back GDC is to make it more than a budget middleware service aimed at Indie developers and other developers who have limited programming experience. It will be more competitive with other popular middleware while still focusing efficient development for small and mid-sized teams.

With Luminous having development issues (and losing key staff) and UE4 aimed more at high-end hardware, Unity would be good choice for efficient development with a smaller, focused team. It’s speculation on my part but I get the feeling that they’re looking for an efficient development cycle with a more modest budget than usual SE console game. The game might be multiplatform and play on home console, PC, and mobile devices. Even if they won’t use Unity for the final product, the engine allows for very easy prototyping with any knowledge of coding languages. It would explain the preference given to Unity experience.

Perhaps more notably, the development team will be new studio under Square-Enix holdings rather than integrated into their existing Japanese development studios. For example, hippos lab is a Japanese mobile development studio which was founded and completely owned by Square-Enix in 2011. It is listed under Square-Enix Holdings but separate from their core Japanese game development team in Tokyo. If you’ve seen other SE game recruitment ads for console development, they’ve been under the banner of Square-Enix Japan. Think of the Product Development Divisions used in the past.

The new Japanese console development team could potentially be its own division which is separate from the console development teams in Square-Enix Japan (SE Tokyo, SE Osaka etc.). With tell-tale signs suggesting a focus on efficient development, it might be an admission that the company culture is troubled within their core development studios.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mak0rz posted:

Oh god dammit :doh:

At least you'll have time to practice. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SE already used Unity for DQ8 mobile, funnily enough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Attitude Indicator posted:

my marriage was shorter than FF15s development.

I joined the Air Force as an officer in 2006, and I separated almost two years ago.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
This thread is now the what have you done with your life since versus was announced thread

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Since Vs. XIII was announced, I have changed jobs 5 times.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Accretionist posted:

Haha, they should just do a remake of Final Fantasy I and call it a day.

Well, they did have a 3D remake of that game's world map in Dissidia 012 Duodecium. What I still like about FFI is that the most important decision is the very first one you make, which is choosing the jobs of each of your four characters.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

I joined the Air Force as an officer in 2006, and I separated almost two years ago.

I entered law school, graduated, and have now been practicing for five years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since they announced XV I've put more work and thought into XV than the entire dev team.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I got into a university in the continental US, got my BA, and, unlike the Versus team, made an entire game with a crew consisting of me plus two other guys doing the sound.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I took a dump once, and it kind of looked like an X and a V in the toilet bowl, so there's that I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

I took a dump once, and it kind of looked like an X and a V in the toilet bowl, so there's that I guess.

This is critical, did you take this dump before the announcement that Vs XIII would become XV? If so you may have the power of poophecy

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

"A black man became president of the United States, twice."

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Deuce posted:

"A black man became president of the United States, twice."

Well let's go for gold and have a woman president too.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Ragequit posted:

Well let's go for gold and have a woman president too.

Want a bumper sticker that says, "I'M READY FOR FF XV"

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Versus XIII was during my first year of middle school. I am now in my third year of college.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Butt Ghost posted:

Versus XIII was during my first year of middle school. I am now in my third year of college.

:negative:

Thanks for making every person over 25 feel old as poo poo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

This is me but instead I decided to work for two years then start.

Himuro posted:

:negative:

Thanks for making every person over 25 feel old as poo poo.

Lol

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For anyone else who has played the Curtain Call demo, is it intentional that your score isn't retained after closing out of the game, or am I just loving up somehow?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

First year of high school and sixth year of college for me. loving hell.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I was hit by a car two times and had my ex-girlfriend break up with me during my hospital stay that first time before FFXV came out.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've gone through college, three jobs, rehab, and two relationships in the time since they announced Versus. I'm basically not even the same person I was when it was announced at this point.

Look, you've never seen Ghostbusters, I don't think you're even allowed to laugh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

Look, you've never seen Ghostbusters, I don't think you're even allowed to laugh.

What the hell, Beef Waifu. Why are you wasting your time here when you could be watching Ghostbusters right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've seen Ghostbusters. Also I'm playing Layton vs Wright and about to finish it so this takes first priority.