Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Storms missed us today and had some nice weather for labor day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

cursedshitbox posted:

The CSB was scrapped a week ago!

2 stroke, what oil galley! hahahaha.

First go round: Incorrect jetting/overheating.
this go round: apparently 32:1 is too much oil. what I've been told I should have been running 40-50:1 on this particular engine.
Meh, lesson learned, put the wheels on a WR.

Rebuild was my work, meticulously cleaned. This is the -first- engine to blow up so soon of the breakin period, and I've built some serious go fast engines.

Plug looks like proper burn too.

You must be doing something wrong two stroke top ends are not hard. What bike doesn't use 32:1? I'd be interested to see what you find when you take it apart.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Pistons burnt too.

I'm stupid.

Most forums are saying run em 40-60:1 premix on synthetics with the jetting I'm running.

way too much oil for the jetting. way lean a/f ratio: blown rear end engine.

whatever, I'm a veteran 4 stroke builder learning 2 strokes the hardway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NSR250's typically run ~50:1 if they're converted to pumpless. Pretty sure the RGV250 works out to near the same even with it's squirter pump thing.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

all of my 2stroke stuff (snowmobile, chainsaws, weedeater, blaster) run better at 40something:1 and don't show signs of running lean. At 32:1 the chainsaw and snowmobile both run lean according to plugs :eng99:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

Pistons burnt too.

I'm stupid.

Most forums are saying run em 40-60:1 premix on synthetics with the jetting I'm running.

way too much oil for the jetting. way lean a/f ratio: blown rear end engine.

whatever, I'm a veteran 4 stroke builder learning 2 strokes the hardway.

Hey, at least you got over the "more oil = more lean" hump!! You'd be amazed how many people cling tightly to the "More oil must be making it run richer" argument.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

apatite posted:

all of my 2stroke stuff (snowmobile, chainsaws, weedeater, blaster) run better at 40something:1 and don't show signs of running lean. At 32:1 the chainsaw and snowmobile both run lean according to plugs :eng99:

OK so here is the thing, all the manuals for those things probably say to run 40:1. I am not familiar with KTM but pretty much every japanese 2T bike I'm aware of says run 32:1. There is some thinking out there that you can run higher ratios if you use synthetic but in my opinion there is no real evidence that it doesn't wear your motor and 32:1 + stock jetting is just easier. I've run my stock jetted 2T bikes with a range between 32:1 and 40:1 and really couldn't even tell a difference.

If I had to guess what is going on is a crank seal leak that is letting air into the mixture. I just don't think 32:1 vs. 40:1 is going to make such a change in the fuel mixture as to seize/burn a piston in 8 miles. I'd say it's time for a leakdown test.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wow is this thing hosed.

My buddies DRZ was also having running problems that day, but being what it is, it didnt care.

I was also running whatever brand dino premix from the parts store, which likely wasn't helping the cause.
the KX85 seems to not care, but it spends more time on its side than running.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I seriously doubt that matters for 8 miles of riding.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its what was in the tank the first time it blew up. heh.

E: any rate, it'll need bearings this go round and it'll get replacement seals at the same time. First time I cracked it the bearings/seals were all new anyhow so I left em alone.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Check this out:
http://www.boosttown.com/engine/piston_damage.pdf

That might tell you what you did. I think you got it hot again, that piston looks nuked.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Guess I'll be looking into CHT sensors vs the coolant temp sensor I was running.

A lean A/F ratio would cause the mass knocking thats apparent (again), even though it is correctly set for altitude and temperature according to pro-circuit.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

Marv Hushman posted:

My problem (and I suspect this is true of some further up the thread) is with uninformed improvisation that results in barely roadworthy abortions that are in turn marketed to people who don't know any better. They're mistakes, not visions--the "builder" has clearly painted him/herself into a corner, and ruined a bike in the process. Someday--if it hasn't happened already--some moron is going to get his hands on a '69 Sandcast and start hacking. Would people on this forum have a duty to bitch and moan? HELL YES.

Any botched custom job can be fixed by somebody willing to put the time and effort in. I'd much much much rather start with something that's already hosed up than start cutting up a bike in good relatively original condition. Also, tbh, I'd rather see somebody riding around on a hacked up rare bike than see one in pristine shape sitting in a museum or some rich dudes house, never to be ridden again.

Anyhow, here's my bike. It's still a work in progress, there's plenty of work to do this winter. Probably going to catch a lot of grief.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your bike isn't exactly rare or special so noone on here will give a poo poo what you do to it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heh the ~Hivemind~ will hate this

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Have you found anyone to put the time and effort in to fix that hosed up custom job on that bike?

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!

I dig it and would ride it around a lot if it were mine. Just needs some paint. Oh and those really high mount passenger pegs for maximum passenger leg-wrap-around-ness.

The foot clutch + spool front combo always weirds me out though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Heh the ~Hivemind~ will hate this

Have we reached the point where it's ironic fun to make ironic fun of the hivemind?!?!?1

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Grief? Au contraire mon frere. It may be the only bike of its kind I've seen
recently without stupid high ape hangers. I was beginning to think that short pullbacks like this were no longer available. I like this, though the absent front brake won't earn any CA Reward Points.

I think 70s chopper builders had more of a sense of angle and proportion, and that's part of what's lacking in modern amateur and pro builds. This bike seems to capture what was good about that era.

Regarding rarities and museums, I'll have to respectfully disagree; as with any pursuit, there are artifacts that simply should not be in private hands. Otherwise, hey, throw open the doors at Barber, Pickering, and Milwaukee and liberate these bikes yearning for zero clearance fenders and thematic cohesion.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I hate that bike for stereotypical reasons

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

nsaP posted:

I hate that bike for stereotypical reasons

Sometimes I hate you, sometimes I love you. This is one of the latter.

That being said, I don't hugely hate that bike, reminds me of a friends. More indifferent to it.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Marv Hushman posted:

I like this, though the absent front brake won't earn any CA Reward Points.

LOL

Seriously though these guys with no front brakes, are we supposed to believe that they're crazy hardcore dudes who don't fear death? Cause all I can imagine is how slow you have to putt around with no front brake. I guess you can put on a oversized rear if you want to, but why would you want to.

P.S. Wayne Rainey and a group have bought AMA racing from DMG, go to their facebook and hit like please https://www.facebook.com/MotoAmerica

HNasty fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 6, 2014

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

J Corp posted:

Any botched custom job can be fixed by somebody willing to put the time and effort in. I'd much much much rather start with something that's already hosed up than start cutting up a bike in good relatively original condition. Also, tbh, I'd rather see somebody riding around on a hacked up rare bike than see one in pristine shape sitting in a museum or some rich dudes house, never to be ridden again.

Anyhow, here's my bike. It's still a work in progress, there's plenty of work to do this winter. Probably going to catch a lot of grief.

Nice, it reminds me of watching my Uncle and his buddies work on their bikes in my Grandfather's garage. Those hardtails are definitely a young man's bike though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Do dudes who ride hardtails like having their butt pounded? I'm having trouble seeing the appeal.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

notZaar posted:

Do dudes who ride hardtails like having their butt pounded? I'm having trouble seeing the appeal.

Getting your butt pounded while dressed like a leather daddy proves how manly and masculine you are. :haw:

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

Marv Hushman posted:

Grief? Au contraire mon frere. It may be the only bike of its kind I've seen
recently without stupid high ape hangers. I was beginning to think that short pullbacks like this were no longer available. I like this, though the absent front brake won't earn any CA Reward Points.

I think 70s chopper builders had more of a sense of angle and proportion, and that's part of what's lacking in modern amateur and pro builds. This bike seems to capture what was good about that era.

Regarding rarities and museums, I'll have to respectfully disagree; as with any pursuit, there are artifacts that simply should not be in private hands. Otherwise, hey, throw open the doors at Barber, Pickering, and Milwaukee and liberate these bikes yearning for zero clearance fenders and thematic cohesion.

Somebody somewhere probably sells them, but I made those bars myself. I figured all the grief would be about running a spool up front.

With museum piece bikes, I don't disagree that some bikes should be preserved. My gripe is really the bikes going into private hands as an investment. Somebody gave the example earlier of a kid hacking up a sandcast CB750. I think it's so wildly unlikely that somebody does a terrible looking basement hackjob on a rare bike that it isn't worth worrying about. I mean, even if he did though, it's not like there aren't more out there. As long as he's riding it and having fun, I'm happy for him. Motorcycles are meant to be ridden. I've gone to a few classic auctions, and you know a lot of the bikes sold are just an investment to the person that bought it. It bums me out knowing that awesome bike will probably never even be started again.

HNasty posted:

Seriously though these guys with no front brakes, are we supposed to believe that they're crazy hardcore dudes who don't fear death? Cause all I can imagine is how slow you have to putt around with no front brake. I guess you can put on a oversized rear if you want to, but why would you want to.

I don't think so. Most of the people I've met riding 60's/70's style choppers aren't tough guys at all, for the most part we're all just bike nerds. I think the reason front brakes got ditched back then was because most people didn't know how to properly set up a drum brake, so they sucked to begin with, and once guys started going with really long front ends, they decided to ditch the extra weight since it wasn't helping them stop anyhow. That's a guess anyhow.

I ride it pretty easily. The awesome part is I have a blast riding it at the speed limit. It's fun no matter how fast you go, so there's no reason to try and stuff it into corners like a sport bike. It actually does handle pretty decently though, so I suppose you could if you really wanted to.

notZaar posted:

I expected it to be a whole lot worse than it is. Honestly, it's only slightly rougher than my BSA. I've ridden a few pan and shovelheads with pogo seats, and those are more comfortable than the modern bikes Harley makes.

invision posted:

Have you found anyone to put the time and effort in to fix that hosed up custom job on that bike?

What is hosed up about it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scooter posted:

A chopper doesn't use as much, if any front brake. To the idiots who' ve answered you before me. If you've never ridden a chopper and you don't know sh!t, shut the f*@k up! A chopper is not, a god dam f&@king sport bike. 70% of you braking, does not come from the front, about 5% does. The longer the front is, the less weight is on the front tire. The less weight on the tire, the easier it is to lock up. Lock up you front tire and you will crash.

It is fine, to ride a chopper with out a front brake. Depending on the age of the bike, it maybe grandfather under the two brakes law. Meaning you may not legally, have to put a front brake on it. If you have to ask this question, you never should have bought the bike in the first place, it's way over you head. They handle like crap, most can't even get out of their own way.

I turned a 1974 basket case Sportster, into a hardtail chopper, with a 9 and a half foot long springer front end. Worst bike I ever owned, tried to kill me four times. Choppers look cool, but I'll never ride one again. The front brake was taken off mostly for looks, but also because it was to dangerous to use.

Maybe this bears some relevance somehow I dunno.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

HNasty posted:

I guess you can put on a oversized rear if you want to, but why would you want to.

Don't even pretend that when you were a kid on a bicycle you and everyone else didn't lock up the rear tire and skid every time they could.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
One reason for going without a front brake had lot to do with the way a chopper handles, the more extension and the greater the rake made it even worse ( some of the more extreme set ups need a full four lanes to turn around). The other reason was structural, because of the flex in the extended forks, heavy braking could bend the forks or cause the entire front end to collapse. The solution was to do away with the front brake, some guys compensated by adding additional rear braking.

JCorp, that's a cool example you have of the late 60's style custom there, gently caress the haters, enjoy it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

Don't even pretend that when you were a kid on a bicycle you and everyone else didn't lock up the rear tire and skid every time they could.

Yeah, we used to have contests to see who could make the longest skids. I won when I wore through my tire and burst a tube.
After that we were all too worried about getting in poo poo from our parents/having to pay to replace the tires to do it anymore :D

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I volunteer at a bicycle co-op. We have kids buy a new tube+tire, and come back like three days later with it worn through the cords and the tube popped in like three places. It's pretty awesome.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Not that it'll be practical in this case, but those hardtails with large rake angles seem like perfect candidates for a combined ABS system to me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
FWIW the no front brake thing (along with hardtails and most of the bobber/chopper style, originally) was a drag bike thing. Make it as long and low as possible to keep weight on the back wheel and stop it looping, take off absolutely every last bit of weight not involved in making the bike accelerate fast in a straight line, tune the gently caress out of what's left.

(My source on this is an old edition of American Chopper so don't take it as gospel)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I can appreciate the amount of work and creativity that goes into putting together a chopper, but I still think they are uniformly ugly and dumb looking.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

FWIW the no front brake thing (along with hardtails and most of the bobber/chopper style, originally) was a drag bike thing. Make it as long and low as possible to keep weight on the back wheel and stop it looping, take off absolutely every last bit of weight not involved in making the bike accelerate fast in a straight line, tune the gently caress out of what's left.

(My source on this is an old edition of American Chopper so don't take it as gospel)

I dunno, looking at photos of old drag bikes, more had front brakes than not. Flat trackers ditched the front brake pretty frequently, but I sort of doubt the dudes building wild 50" over choppers were running in the same circles as AMA riders. I'd like to know the honest reason it became a thing, would be interesting.

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
Probably because it was a pain in the rear end to run that much line/cable, or it looked bad.

Bars with no levers or cables do look pretty cool. I once saw some Japanese guy who had a front brake on his bike, and actuated it with an internal throttle type thing on the left grip, which activated a remote master cylinder mounted under the tank. Pretty clever

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

J Corp posted:

I dunno, looking at photos of old drag bikes, more had front brakes than not. Flat trackers ditched the front brake pretty frequently, but I sort of doubt the dudes building wild 50" over choppers were running in the same circles as AMA riders. I'd like to know the honest reason it became a thing, would be interesting.

Fun fact: Flat track (and board track racing before it) actually forbid any brakes on the bikes until the 50s or 60s. Front brakes are still banned.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
House of Soichiro figured it out...seems to be kicked out equally if not more than the above build.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I remember when that bike first came out. There was beer-flavoured outrage spittle flying about everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

Marv Hushman posted:

House of Soichiro figured it out...seems to be kicked out equally if not more than the above build.

I've never understood why 'factory customs' became a thing. To me it's missing the whole point. That bike in particular just screams TV chopper to me, which I've never been a fan of, but to each his own I guess.

That bike looks like it has a decent bit more rake than mine. I sort of wish I had a little more rake. I'm going to be doing some work to the frame this winter, so I was thinking about adding some, but I'm leery of changing it and having the bike end up handling like poo poo.

The reason I ditched the front brake was because I wanted to put together the skinniest front end possible using 41mm tubes.