Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I exchanged my Kalash 2012 for a Revolver with stock for the approach to D6, and I was surprised at how effective it was. Also, it seems the amoeba bit is easier now.

Once I hit the spot where the Plated Nosalis used to be, I missed my flamethrower. :catstare: What a great game, I had never finished the original.
Is it just me or the only way to change difficulty once a playthrough has started is to redo the entire campaign from the start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Finished 2033 last night. I want more Metro games, these are great.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Azran posted:

I exchanged my Kalash 2012 for a Revolver with stock for the approach to D6, and I was surprised at how effective it was. Also, it seems the amoeba bit is easier now.

Once I hit the spot where the Plated Nosalis used to be, I missed my flamethrower. :catstare: What a great game, I had never finished the original.
Is it just me or the only way to change difficulty once a playthrough has started is to redo the entire campaign from the start?

In options menu I think you can switch between normal and hardcore during a game, but you can't change if you are in ranger mode or not, and you can't switch between spartan or survivor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, Trolley Combat is even worse than it was before now. Take a hit and the entire screen flashes red and white, arrow keys move left and right (badly), mouse aims up and down. I can't do a thing without switching to the 360 controller. It also doesn't seem to matter how long I shoot a guy; some of them refuse to die.

e: I never noticed that Artyom rolls his eyes at the kid. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 5, 2014

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Wow, the Amoeba section of D6 is so much better this time around. Each spawner only drops a single amoeba, which die from a single Volt Driver shot on Hardcore or a few military rounds. So if you were dreading the D6 level because of that loving area, don't worry about it.

Not such a fan of them adding in the spider monsters from Last Light in one area, though, mostly because I always seem to get surrounded.

Overall I'm really impressed with what they did with 2033 Redux, it just feels so much more polished than the original version.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I feel like trolley combat and D6 are both less epic, but I appreciate all the improvements in the rest of the game. Didn't you used to shoot the bridge out from under a tank, and didn't the big gross critter on the reactor get steamed?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Wow, the Amoeba section of D6 is so much better this time around. Each spawner only drops a single amoeba, which die from a single Volt Driver shot on Hardcore or a few military rounds. So if you were dreading the D6 level because of that loving area, don't worry about it.

Not such a fan of them adding in the spider monsters from Last Light in one area, though, mostly because I always seem to get surrounded.

Overall I'm really impressed with what they did with 2033 Redux, it just feels so much more polished than the original version.

Gaaahhh, I never finished the first one and I was super impressed with Last Light redux. I'm regretting not buying the bundle now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dogen posted:

I feel like trolley combat and D6 are both less epic, but I appreciate all the improvements in the rest of the game. Didn't you used to shoot the bridge out from under a tank, and didn't the big gross critter on the reactor get steamed?

I was about to say, what happened to blowing up the panzer? I thought maybe I was forgetting a second one later or something.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Its pretty non-eventful. I thought there was going to be more to it because the guy is like, "Oh poo poo, a tank!" and then that is all that happens.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You used to shoot away some bridge supports with the MG to drop the tank, I think.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You can also buy filters in pretty much every station now. And the ones in the open last longer.

Dr Snofeld posted:

They die from a single Volt Driver shot even in Spartan Normal. Also Miller got like by like 4-5 at the same time and he was fine. Also I used the machine gun in Trolley Combat to kill the single guy before the station, and it didn't alert the rest - didn't you use to need a silenced weapon for that?

Were there keys and lockboxes in the original one?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

ultimateforce posted:

Finished 2033 last night. I want more Metro games, these are great.

Yeah it's why I finally decided to start playing Stalker. And I gotta say, Rage doesn't quite scratch the same itch for bleakness, sneaking, mutants, mercs and shooting.

Azran posted:

Were there keys and lockboxes in the original one?

I don't believe so, no. Even if they're just full of junk, I appreciate having a new reason to explore even more than I did the first time around.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Okay, so this was going to be just advice for dealing with that one spot but it's sorta become an efforty post on Ranger mode:

Bear in mind, my experience is in Spartan Ranger Hardcore. Survival is my next goal, because survival seems to be dramatically harder because Artyom is shittier at sneaking (Or guards are better at seeing) and shittier at combat.

So, Ranger Mode Protips:

gently caress assault rifles. Anything in 5.45 can go gently caress itself unless it's shooting MGR. If you get into an out and out firefight, pick up a gun off of a dead guy, shoot that.
The Revolver Is Your Friend - it's the first gun, it's pretty much the best gun. Takes out man and mutant a like with a single headshot. If you can't blow it's head off with a single shot, you shouldn't be trying to kill it.
Throwing Knives don't use bullets. If you use a knife, you save a bullet. They'll kill people mid-combat as well as in sneaky mode.
The Hellsings bolts are retrievable. Shoot them. Retrieve them. Reload them. it's the circle of life.
Keep a gun to be sneaky, keep a gun to lay waste in forced firefights. Don't risk your hellsing bolts in actiony segments, use something more disposable.

That said, the proest of pro tips is to be prepared. Have ammo on you. Have room for more ammo. Have a gun for the fights you're going to be fighting. While I say that gently caress all of the assault rifles, it pays to grab one for the actiony bits, especially in the rail car action segments, though those can frequently be handled by a shotgun as far as nosalses or watchmen. It's more difficult if you're going in blind, but if you've played the game before, you can think of when to ditch guns, carry something more useful for the upcoming fight.

Get used to not having UI prompts. If something looks like a QTE, mash the use button. Or LMB.

Don't fight if you don't have to. Sneak past encounters, sneak and stealth kill with knives or the hellsing. go green!
If you do have to fight, be smart. Enemies can lose you. Get lost. shoot people in the back. Use as few rounds as possible.
In action sequences with buddies, monsters will attack you or your buddies. Hide in a corner, headshot incoming mutants that are only gunning for you. Your buddies are immortal, have infinite ammo, and deal minimal damage to everything. Let them. Let them handle themselves. Deal only with the monsters coming for you.
Seriously, don't shoot at the monsters not trying to eat you.
Learn the dangerous attacks and movements of different monsters.
Demon's like to swoop and carry you off to their nest. Watchmen are all about the pounce. Nosalises don't really pounce but they have a crazy fast close range combo, but don't lunge much. Outside of swipe range they're sorta harmless. Lurkers will launch straight through you. They're like tiny watchmen, but with a sorta hide and go seek thing with the running and hiding. Watchmen will lunge and attack, sometimes they'll lunge and gently caress off and lunge again. Two lunges can kill you dead, so be more careful. Female nosalsies shoot like sound lasers, shoot them in their ugly face.
Learn how to deal with Librarians. It isnt hard. Don't waste ammo
Sticky grenades instagib Demons.
You never really need to spend ammo on spiderbugs. Don't waste ammo.
You can (especially in Last Light) sneak around mutants. Sneak around mutants.
Don't waste ammo on plot things. Sometimes some things are immortal, Like the demon that tries to eat Danilla. Don't waste ammo or grenades on it. There are some other moments like this. Don;t waste ammo if you aren't going to actually get anything from it. Be it ammos, medkits, supplies or not dying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azran posted:

They die from a single Volt Driver shot even in Spartan Normal. Also Miller got like by like 4-5 at the same time and he was fine. Also I used the machine gun in Trolley Combat to kill the single guy before the station, and it didn't alert the rest - didn't you use to need a silenced weapon for that?

No that part happens after you get off the trolley. You still snipe the dude for an achievement.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

God drat this is an annoying level. loving small rear end monsters constantly nipping at my ankles and running off. I will be glad when this poo poo is over.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Playing Last Light Redux. Is there a reason I suddenly lost the ability to do sneak attacks? Lethal or non-lethal, the prompts don't show up and nothing happens if I press either button.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kuromyneko posted:

Since there doesn't seem to be any post about metro 2033 redux outside this post; anyone noticed the ranger mode just seems impossible if you use up all your ammo before certain areas? I'm stuck on this part where you are waiting outside a station and monsters and attacking constantly. I've managed to hold most of them off but finally run out of ammo and get gruesomely ripped apart while my friend fails to try to back me up :(. Ammo conservation seems really important in this game and if you have trouble hitting a barn door like me. In most games after afew tried there seem to be a way to get around these mistakes anyone else find that metro2033 is really punishing at times with the difficulty?

Don't waste ammo. Be willing to use MGR if you don't have a shotgun. Use throwing knives and other consumables more often. Run like hell. Loot every dead body.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Playing Last Light Redux. Is there a reason I suddenly lost the ability to do sneak attacks? Lethal or non-lethal, the prompts don't show up and nothing happens if I press either button.

Sounds like a bug. Melee or use key are working fine for me. Playing survival ranger and it's a lot harder than I remember. 2033 was way easier.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

What is really odd is that you get a silver trophy for beating survival, but a gold trophy for beating spartan.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I see they didn't fix the thing where staring down a librarian just gets them to instantly kill you half the time.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

RBA Starblade posted:

I see they didn't fix the thing where staring down a librarian just gets them to instantly kill you half the time.

I didn't have any issues so...?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hopterque posted:

They usually just grunt then swipe at me anyway. In the 360 version I ended up just sprinting my way through.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

hopterque posted:

I'm not sure but it felt like the Librarians in the second map were a bit touchier. A couple of times it would seem like I stared one down into retreating but then it would jump out and kill me a moment later.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's two types of Librarians in the game, the ones inside the main Library area are the ones you can stare down, the other type once you start going through the undersection where you can see them sleeping and stuff are ones that will almost always attack you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's two types of Librarians in the game, the ones inside the main Library area are the ones you can stare down, the other type once you start going through the undersection where you can see them sleeping and stuff are ones that will almost always attack you.

I was in the main area, I stopped at the level transition. They would stare me down then run forward and attack. On spartan ranger it's a one or two hit kill depending on which swipe they do.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
I didn't manage to stare them down the first time you encounter them either (main library), I played Survival Hardcore

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I was playing Spartan Normal and I killed the first two. Man those guys really do endure a beating. I sneaked past the others.

Also went into the developer map to test weapon damage on Ranger. It seems one throwing knife is enough for a watchmen and two for a Nosalis. Killing mutants is also kinda hard if you try to do it with your knife!
Lastly, 5.45mm are just terrible if they are not MGR goddamn. Especially against mutants.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2 or 3 shots from an AK will kill a guy on survival ranger (1 headshot), a couple more will take down a heavy. It takes like half a magazine to kill a mutant with the AK though, and to me it seems like random chance whether or not any given shot from a shotgun will kill a nosalis or watchman (unless you headshot, then it only takes one or two at the most).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I was in the main area, I stopped at the level transition. They would stare me down then run forward and attack. On spartan ranger it's a one or two hit kill depending on which swipe they do.

Are you actually looking at their face/eyes? Staring at the chest/arms doesn't work.

They might have made the hotbox for staring even smaller then it was in 2033 as well, haven't tried Redux yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rookersh posted:

Are you actually looking at their face/eyes? Staring at the chest/arms doesn't work.

Yeah, their whole body is in view and I'm mostly centered on their heads. I'm not zooming in though. Is that why? It does occasionally work but like on the 360 it's kind of a crapshoot.

I did find out though if they turn around and try to leave and you start creeping up they will instantly turn around and backhand you and kill you though. :v:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah I should have clarified that my assault rifle worries come from mutants. Nosalises always give me a shitload of problems. My only non enviromental deaths in LL are from both of the Nosalis horde defenses. While the Tower DLC always kicks my rear end as soon as they spawn.

The beginning of Kshatriya is also annoying if you get two nosalis pack spawn while you are stuck with your Ashot since I only get consistent kills on a headshot while they lunge.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, their whole body is in view and I'm mostly centered on their heads. I'm not zooming in though. Is that why? It does occasionally work but like on the 360 it's kind of a crapshoot.

I did find out though if they turn around and try to leave and you start creeping up they will instantly turn around and backhand you and kill you though. :v:

At least in the base game, how they are supposed to work is the crosshair represents your eyes. So point your crosshair at their eyes, and you are thus "locking eyes" with them. If you can keep it steady, you can then strafe around them and pick up the items in the room with them as you quickly glance to the sides. The only grey Librarian you need to fight is the one on the second floor that hides under the floorboards, as he's a bit too quick to lock eyes with.

The black ones in the lower levels don't give a gently caress though, and will just charge you.

Azran posted:

Yeah I should have clarified that my assault rifle worries come from mutants. Nosalises always give me a shitload of problems. My only non enviromental deaths in LL are from both of the Nosalis horde defenses. While the Tower DLC always kicks my rear end as soon as they spawn.

The beginning of Kshatriya is also annoying if you get two nosalis pack spawn while you are stuck with your Ashot since I only get consistent kills on a headshot while they lunge.

In general, Assault Rifles don't work very well on mutants. They move too quickly, and the damage ratios never work in your favor. More often then not, you'll waste valuable bullets on them ( since when fighting humans you can kill them faster with headshots, but mutants dodge ). The only good mutant killing Assault Rifle is the VSV, and that's because it's got extremely copious autoaim, and will get headshots even if you fast finger it towards fast moving mutants.

I usually suggest just using the Revolver/a Shotgun on mutants, or hell, just use the knife. You'll kill them faster by sneaking up on them and shanking them then you will blasting at them. Might need the stealth suit though for that, wouldn't know since I've always had the stealth suit. The Revolver will offer you a far better return on damage per bullet then an Assault Rifle will when it comes to most mutants, same with even a basic shotgun.

The exception to this rule is Librarians/Demons, who you should only really engage with the Helsing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

At least in the base game, how they are supposed to work is the crosshair represents your eyes. So point your crosshair at their eyes, and you are thus "locking eyes" with them. If you can keep it steady, you can then strafe around them and pick up the items in the room with them as you quickly glance to the sides. The only grey Librarian you need to fight is the one on the second floor that hides under the floorboards, as he's a bit too quick to lock eyes with.

Hm, I don't have crosshairs in ranger, so I've just been kind of approximating it or keeping the whole body in view. That's probably why then.

Also they've added a lot more hallucinations and little scenes it seems. There wasn't one on the train to D6 before, was there? It looks like there are more opportunities to get morality points for the endings. Though I've hosed up all the stealth and missed some conversations so I'm probably getting the ranger ending again. :v:

e: The black nosalises in Cavern are super lovely on spartan ranger. Multiple knives and headshots and volt driver shots to kill. Two hit kill on you. There are five at a time. I had the max amount of balls I could carry before I left Sparta and I'm already out by the third group. I should have kept the flamethrower.

e: I'm totally out of ammo for both revolver and volt driver by the spiders. Those're new. At least I found a replacement gun for the driver. Now I can use all my MGR anyway.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 7, 2014

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Really digging 2033 Redux. It really smooths out some of the rough patches from the earlier version, and the graphics enhancements are fantastic--the game oozes atmosphere even more than it did before, and Spartan mode goes a long way toward making it a lot less frustrating. (Don't get me wrong, I appreciated the survival-horror feel in the game when I first played it, but without a quicksave option there were certain sections I absolutely never wanted to play again. It's good to have the LL gameplay in 2033 to make things less aggravating, and the designers were smart enough to give people the choice between the two.)

I really love these games, and I'd probably rate them as two of the best I've ever played. The story has a thematic heft that most other games can't pull off, and the Metro is one of the most compelling world-as-character settings I've ever seen. I really hope the Redux set brings in new players.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hey I actually got the enlightened ending this time! That's a first. Time to give LL Redux a shot, though I'll do that on survival normal. I think Ranger mode kind of made most of the Spartan changes unnoticeable, unless I was just rolling them in with the LL gameplay in my head. I certainly had more ammo by the end; except the volt driver stuff I had nearly max rounds on everything else, half an hour of filters, and 100 or so MGR to spare.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Man you guys must suck rear end at librarians. It took me one or two tries to "get it", but basically center your screen on their face, don't move, don't do poo poo. You need to position yourself carefully. If you're too far away they can move towards you, and manage to not trigger the staredown, in which case bug out and try again. you can't be too close, because doing so will let them attack you as they move towards you and try to feint you out in the staredown. if they get close enough during this, they will murder you. Once you get it down, they'll merely hinder your progress as you search the area for the exit and ammo.

In the sublevel, after the elevator, the dark haired librarians will be much harder to staredown, and more likely to loving murder you out of spite. Don't wake them up. For any reason. be quite. Be sneaky. if you're careful you can dodge the awake ones and not wake the sleepers. Once you find the archive, you'll pretty much leave entirely on autopilot and never have to deal with them again.

Which is kind of a shame, because they're fun.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, the trick with the librarians is if you end up close enough that they start their roar/chest beating take a step or two backwards that will reduce their aggression a bit. But yeah with the darker ones later in the library are a lot more aggressive and they will still head butt you so basically use the stare to just slow them down to give yourself time to get to a safe place.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Or dont piss them off to begin with.

Kuromyneko
Aug 21, 2014

Kuro neko

Yeah these are just random tunnel lurkers but they seems way overpowered in this mode. I'll try the chapter select, maybe swapping the shot gun for the machinegun type thing was a bad idea :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

SpookyLizard posted:

Or dont piss them off to begin with.

In survival mode at least it takes near 2 full VSV clips of MGR straight to the face to take a librarian down. Also what is with MGR suddenly having turned into incendiary rounds?

• Locked thread