Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I am curious about what they'll do with the character if not just recycle the original storyline/reveal. Unknown Soldier and Negative Man from Doom Patrol should get involved. Bandage Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

One thing I thiunk Arkham Origins got right was that Black Mask works as a sort of "transitional" villain. I think he works well in stories that take place early in Bat's career as Gotham's traditional mobsters are pushed out by a new generation of "freak" criminals. He's basically just a crime boss, but he has the same kind of psychosis and mask obsession that foreshadows what is to come when the traditional super-criminals come onto the scene.

I haven't read anything with Hush in it except his intro story, but even then I got the sense he was just another "evil Batman" that was trying too hard.

The Wreck
Aug 16, 2004

I think I brained my damage

TheJoker138 posted:

It wouldn't make much sense for the Arkham Knight to be Hush anyway. From Arkham City they do seem to be staying really close to his early comic appearances characterization, right down to giving himself surgery to look like Bruce. He wouldn't become a cheap knock off of Batman who uses guns, he would become Batman and try and replace him. That's his whole thing. It just doesn't fit unless they change what they already set up in City.

It seems pretty clear in Arkham City that Hush doesn't know that Bruce is Batman. Pretty sure Hush is going to be a secondary villain like Scarecrow in the first game.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I'm reading v3 of Brubaker's Catwoman and holy poo poo is the art terrifyingly bad. What the gently caress happened to everyone's face? Why does everyone have an upturned pointy nose? Why does Slam Bradley look like he's in his mid- 30s?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What the gently caress, DC. WHAT. THE. gently caress.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

What the gently caress, DC. WHAT. THE. gently caress.
What uh, what are we mad about here?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 4, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

That purple Batgirl person right there.

1. It's a straight color swap of Cassandra Cain's Black Bat costume, down to the bandages.
2. If it's Cassandra herself, she looks like she's been whitewashed.
3. If it isn't Cassandra, who is she and what is she doing in that costume?

Haha what the hell, Nightrunner is in the background and Cassandra can't get a panel outside of L'il Gotham and Dustin Nguyen artwork.

I just can't understand it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I really like Li'l Gotham and wished it had gone on longer...

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
What's this Penny-One horseshit? I really hope that's never been used before (and will never be used again).

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Aw man. Grayson's a book I wanted to like but it's just not for me. :(

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

DynamicSloth posted:

What's this Penny-One horseshit? I really hope that's never been used before (and will never be used again).
It's been a thing since New 52 that everyone refers to Alfred as 'Penny-One' over their radios. I guess that's to help conceal his identity if anyone is listening but it sounds really silly.

Was Taters posted:

Aw man. Grayson's a book I wanted to like but it's just not for me. :(
If you look on the credits Tom King is the only one listed as a writing credit and I think that explains a lot. He seems to be really into the more "James Bond" side of the Grayson concept, but it doesn't work because Dick isn't James Bond. The romance with Helena also comes off as forced, since she doesn't seem to be more interested in him beyond flirting in the main comic. Considering in interviews he was said to have written the Bruce and Dick fighting scene in Nightwing #30 as well, and is the one who said Dick should have a gun on hand, I think Tim Seely is really the only writer who makes it worth picking up the book.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

lotus circle posted:

It's been a thing since New 52 that everyone refers to Alfred as 'Penny-One' over their radios. I guess that's to help conceal his identity if anyone is listening but it sounds really silly.
The code to conceal his identity directly references his last name?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I keep seeing so many people sperging about Cassandra Cain. Its okay guys, you can let go of your favourite characters from 10 years ago.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Veg posted:

I keep seeing so many people sperging about Cassandra Cain. Its okay guys, you can let go of your favourite characters from 10 years ago.
If this is about the Batwing Future End issue, then I disagree. It's kind of insulting to have a character in a costume that's almost nearly identical to Cassandra's but obviously not having it be her. This and the Architect coming into Eternal in the same week, even though Gates of Gotham doesn't make sense when added into the New 52 continuity.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Veg posted:

Why? Geoff Johns never did that.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

lotus circle posted:

If you look on the credits Tom King is the only one listed as a writing credit and I think that explains a lot. He seems to be really into the more "James Bond" side of the Grayson concept, but it doesn't work because Dick isn't James Bond. The romance with Helena also comes off as forced, since she doesn't seem to be more interested in him beyond flirting in the main comic. Considering in interviews he was said to have written the Bruce and Dick fighting scene in Nightwing #30 as well, and is the one who said Dick should have a gun on hand, I think Tim Seely is really the only writer who makes it worth picking up the book.

I read King's book, and I've read Seeley's comics, and of the two I'm more comfortable with King in general. Seeley did a lot of interviews around Ish 1 where he said specifically they'd be working on Dick's fuckability factor, which is one thing I really hate. I've done two super long rants on twitter about why I hate it, so I won't subject you all to it. The book is getting rave reviews from Chris Sims, with whom I never agree on anything Dick Grayson... It's just taste. I don't want him to be defined by his cock and his romances, and a lot of other people do. Sometimes your favorite character is just in the wrong hands for your personal tastes.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Codependent Poster posted:

Why? Geoff Johns never did that.
:iceburn: :hfive:

No Man's Land, and Cass got me into comic collecting, after watching the Animated Series as a kid. I mean I appreciate all the original heroes, but for me, Batman has always been about legacy, how the mission gets passed on to and translated for new heroes. I really like that. Also, diversity, representation, yada yada.

Cass Cain is probably the only character I go into full-spergin' mode for.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

hiddenriverninja posted:

Cass Cain is probably the only character I go into full-spergin' mode for.

Are you Revol?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DynamicSloth posted:

To be honest, if you don't mention it I would never realized the connection. I always assumed it was a reference to the giant penny on the batcave (and hey, Julia's penny-two now) :v:

Was I the only one that cringed at Batman making GBS threads bricks over Hush? I mean, not even the Joker managed that reaction and suddenly he's scared of loving Hush? Really?

Batwing was pretty cool and I liked the twist about Leviathan and how hopeful it ended, Grayson on the other hand fell flat for me, cool format though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DynamicSloth posted:

Listen, Bruce Wayne is a guy who infiltrates the criminal underworld occasionally by putting on a fake mustache, wearing sunglasses, and calling himself "Matches". He may be a genius, but his way of working is kinda stupid if you try to use too much (read: any) real-world logic.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 4, 2014

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Penny One sounds about as stupid as when Jim Mahfood started calling himself Food One. That being incredibly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Didn't they used to call Alfred "Jeeves" over the radios at some point? I remember somebody called him that just because every butler is basically a Jeeves and it ended up sticking. Maybe that was on the cartoon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Travis343 posted:

Didn't they used to call Alfred "Jeeves" over the radios at some point? I remember somebody called him that just because every butler is basically a Jeeves and it ended up sticking. Maybe that was on the cartoon.

In Batgirl: Year One they call him Jeeves around Barbara before she's fully in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brocktoon posted:

I'm reading v3 of Brubaker's Catwoman and holy poo poo is the art terrifyingly bad. What the gently caress happened to everyone's face? Why does everyone have an upturned pointy nose? Why does Slam Bradley look like he's in his mid- 30s?

Oh thats the Comic were Black Mask more or less sets himself up as the person Catwoman hates the most.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Veg posted:

Her series wasn't anything special. Some funky 90s art and a minority character, but the writing rarely rose above second string Batfamily boilerplate, suffering from several go-nowhere or crossover-derailed plotlines.

Then again, petite asian girl in a gimp suit?

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 6, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
She had a good hook being literally bred and raised to be a killer, kills one person and recognizes it's wrong and runs away.

It was the post book character assassination that actually got most people on her side, she basically became the poster child for female characters goes evil for no reason and gets slutty at a time when people were really fed up with it and anti-fridging was peaking.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It didn't set the world on fire, but the first twenty five issues were some fun stuff, and was better than most of the bat books at the time. I actually stumbled upon the third trade yesterday, and am currently getting the first two trades from my parents house.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 6, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

hiddenriverninja posted:

I made a vow over the bodies of my dead parents to pop into this every Batman thread and bitch about the lack and/or mistreatment of Cassandra Cain

Good to know I'm keeping my promise.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A lil Gotham Academy stuff http://www.mtv.com/news/1919945/gotham-academy-dc-comics-exclusive/

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cassandra Cain was something really radical at the time. Not only was she a minority character she was also mute, at least for a while. There hadn't been a Batgirl for years at that point, and suddenly here was this creepy one with her face stitched shut. It was a great cover image. At the time I wasn't a big fan of DC comics, but seeing that at a comic store made me do a double-take and think maybe I should check it out. She was driven and focused in a way that very few Batfamily members were. She used to say that she wanted to be Batman someday. Not Batgirl or Batwoman but Batman. She wanted to be the star and didn't buy that she had to be a literal man to do it. Boiling her popularity down to "petite asian girl in a gimp suit" is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. That might be all you see in the character but that really says more about you than Cass.

At first she was this incredible fighter but it had cost her the ability to interact with others in any kind of nonviolent way, but as the character went on they gradually removed all her disabilities, because I guess writing a comic about a character that can't talk is hard, and people got lazy and didn't know what to do with her. She eventually got shuffled off to Hong Kong during Batman Inc despite only recently learning English, but hey she's Asian so close enough.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
My only exposure to Casandra Cain has been the numerous post on the internet about how great of a character she is and so my perspective is biased but honestly I don't see nothing really remarkable about her, she seems to me like your archetypical mysterious waif with some characteristics to show how cool she is (she can't socialize but she can kick Batman's rear end)

In a way, she seems to me to follow the same template as Jean Paul Valley.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cassandra had another great hook, at least one I loved. She's a part of the elite Batman crew of Detectives, but she couldn't read or do any of the complex detective work.

It essentially meant that even the simplest case was a huge challenge to her. (Her school of detective work was "walk into a bar and punch thugs and hope that someone knows something." Which if you've ever played in an RPG party with good combat characters but no social interactive characters, you will recognise.)

Anyway it doesn't matter if the rest of you all don't like Cassandra, I got to give my 6 year old daughter a Tiny Titan's trade paper back for her birthday, and this volume has Cassandra Caine Batgirl in it. (Just called Cassandra in an adorable way of minimilization.)
So anyway, that's one more Cassandra Caine fan in the world.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

In a way, she seems to me to follow the same template as Jean Paul Valley.
A key difference for me was that Cassandra seemed like a character trying to overcome her limitations while Jean-Paul just seemed hopped up on the System and four hours of sleep a night (which in retrospect probably explained some of his problems).

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Travis343 posted:

Cassandra Cain was something really radical at the time. Not only was she a minority character she was also mute, at least for a while. There hadn't been a Batgirl for years at that point, and suddenly here was this creepy one with her face stitched shut. It was a great cover image. At the time I wasn't a big fan of DC comics, but seeing that at a comic store made me do a double-take and think maybe I should check it out. She was driven and focused in a way that very few Batfamily members were. She used to say that she wanted to be Batman someday. Not Batgirl or Batwoman but Batman. She wanted to be the star and didn't buy that she had to be a literal man to do it. Boiling her popularity down to "petite asian girl in a gimp suit" is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. That might be all you see in the character but that really says more about you than Cass.

Relax. I read all 73 issues of her series. I though her hook in terms of both concept and visual were at least on par if not superior to Harley Quinn's. The difference is that cartoons will always be more popular than comics one got some excellent writers who could capitalize on that concept while the other got stuck with a whole lot of unexplored potential. All the characterisation you posted makes sense, but we never really got a story of the qualiy it deserved. Now, apart from some creators dodging the absurd ban, I feel she's mostly remembered by people who use "headcanon" un-ironically.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sorry I'm kind of defensive about Cass.

You're completely right in that she never really got the stories she deserved though.

The New52 is only a few years old though so a lot of people other than Dustin Nguyen and Tumblr remember Cass. Not nearly as many people as are carrying a torch for Stephanie but she's mentioned pretty frequently when people complain about characters who've been lost to the reboot.

I think since Wally and Stephanie have both shown back up recently Cass is on a lot of people's minds lately.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
She'll probably show up in a few fashions for a bit, but it'll be really funny when death couldn't keep Jason Todd from coming back to life and having his own title after twenty years, while a simple reboot and some shirking off beforehand in favor of Stephanie gets Cassandra completely whittled away from continuity.

But that's probably too dour an outlook. We'll see.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I guess poor Cass will come back at some point, but it seems like no one at DC really knows how to write the character at all. It really shouldn't be that hard. She's basically someone who's learned English as a second language and isn't fully-versed in it, even after the point when they randomly decided she had learned to read and write thanks to magic Alfred tutoring. But everyone writes her with exactly the same voice as every other generic teenage character.

Even if she comes back, it's probably not going to be as the character I liked. I mean, look at that (horribly miscolored in every conceivable way) cameo from whatever issue that was posted a little while back. That dialogue could have been said by any character and doesn't read at all like Cass. And that's become the standard for the character over the years. It's a shame, because if there's ever been a character that's needed a reboot to remove about the last ten years of poor characterization, it's Cass.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Haven't read comics in years, some manga, but that's it. I picked up the Gotham Central-thing after reading this thread a bit and I honestly really like it. The premise is great and I enjoy the theme and the feeling it has, a bunch of overworked detectives trying to do their jobs and not managing to do that very well for various reasons. It kinda gives a reason for Batman to exist because the man has the resources and skills while the police has not. I also enjoy the art too.

I'm pleasently surprised. I think the hype holds up.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Cassandra is the same character as X-23, except one is Wolverine and the other is Batman. There's better X-23 stories and she isn't handled pissed poorly ALL the time. There's some good issues of her latest on-going where she babysits the Richards kids, bonds with Gambit (Who treats her like a daughter and not a toy)and she makes friends with Jubilee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The real problem is that they brought over every single male Robin but apparently only had room for one Batgirl and had to get rid of a prominent disabled character to even do that.

• Locked thread