Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

My Imaginary GF posted:

I can't see what red title I have now, I'd presume my reputation for sarcasm is on par with Kissinger's.

No, it's nothing like that - Your custom title is harmless and not of the red variety.

I was just not 100% sure you weren't kidding about the decisive nature of American support. Just look at Syria for proof to the contrary. The Obama administration has been dragging their feet for way too long on that (and now it's too late to have a truly positive influence, surprise!), so I have no trust that any covert interventions in Russian-occupied territory would be handled any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

If Russia seizes the Ukranian coastline, I think Turkey would be well within its moral rights to break the straits treaties and bar Russian sea traffic through their straits and their new canal (once it opens).

Erdogan is a huge dummy at foreign politics, but he would never do anything like that. I'll guarantee you though that he'll make huuuge speeches about it, oh boy! Just like with Israel. So much hot air!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nintendo Kid posted:

If Russia seizes the Ukranian coastline, I think Turkey would be well within its moral rights to break the straits treaties and bar Russian sea traffic through their straits and their new canal (once it opens).

Has Turkey said anything about the Ukraine crisis up to this point?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Crowsbeak posted:

Should the Blacks of Namibia not lead a guerrilla campaign against South Africa?

This gave me a serious :wtf: moment until I realised you meant "have led", not "lead".

Rinkles posted:

kalstrams, today I find myself really missing your massive update posts. :(

Preach it, brother. Sadly, I have a feeling kalstrams has decided that it's time to actually finish grad school, so he is lost to us.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

kalstrams, today I find myself really missing your massive update posts. :(

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Preach it, brother. Sadly, I have a feeling kalstrams has decided that it's time to actually finish grad school, so he is lost to us.
I did move to another country to start my master's degree a little bit more than two weeks ago, so I did not really have much time to write a lot of stuff. Now, that I have settled down, my laptop's motherboard told me to gently caress off and did die, so I am out of computers until November. As much as I like this thread, I can't research and write updates from a tablet or a smartphone.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I have already said it: Destroy Russia's economy. Let it collapse until it is too weak to cause any more harm.

gently caress Russia, kill Putin.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Go watch an EU member being invaded and annexed and Germany and friends doing jack poo poo since Finland is not a NATO member.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Send in weapons and money to Russia to prop up a resistance movement. Also send in assassins to kill key Russian leaders. LOL

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Sounds like Putin.

Maybe you should cool off for a bit and return to the thread when you are in a better emotional state?

Unless you are always like this in which case, Christ.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
At least in this thread, he has posted like that more or less for a while. Meh.

Is there any updates on the current situation in Mariupol? Shelling or an assault still going on? The NYT still doesn't have anything of note beyond a story pretending the cease-fire is still in effect (just as an example of how invested the Western media is in the situation).

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
Despite the (unjustified) criticisms of NATO inaction or ineffectiveness of EU sanctions, the West is currently most helpful to Ukraine by not negotiating with Russia and refusing to negotiate with Russia no matter how much of Ukraine it occupies:

1. This respects Ukraine's determination instead of demonstrating that Ukraine (and all of Eastern Europe by extension) is just a poker chip to be traded between the "great powers" of US and Russia.

2. Any further annexations or unrecognized states as large as the Donbass throws all of Russia's borders into question. One of the reason that the breakup of the Soviet Union went as easily as it did was because the West never recognized the annexation of the Baltic states in 1940, so when they declared independence, international recognition followed quickly.

3. Admittedly, this can instigate Russia to escalate the crisis. However, one must remember that any escalation and further deaths are solely Russia's responsibility, and there is no evidence that Russia would respect any agreement and satisfy itself with gains thus far, since it will want to continue to exercise its military and economic power over all of Ukraine.

4. A protracted "crisis" situation in Ukraine will prevent EU public opinion and sanctions from lapsing back to the old normal. This will also help Ukraine.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

Maybe you should cool off for a bit and return to the thread when you are in a better emotional state?

He's been like that for some time now, you haven't noticed?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

eigenstate posted:

Despite the (unjustified) criticisms of NATO inaction or ineffectiveness of EU sanctions, the West is currently most helpful to Ukraine by not negotiating with Russia and refusing to negotiate with Russia no matter how much of Ukraine it occupies:

1. This respects Ukraine's determination instead of demonstrating that Ukraine (and all of Eastern Europe by extension) is just a poker chip to be traded between the "great powers" of US and Russia.

2. Any further annexations or unrecognized states as large as the Donbass throws all of Russia's borders into question. One of the reason that the breakup of the Soviet Union went as easily as it did was because the West never recognized the annexation of the Baltic states in 1940, so when they declared independence, international recognition followed quickly.

3. Admittedly, this can instigate Russia to escalate the crisis. However, one must remember that any escalation and further deaths are solely Russia's responsibility, and there is no evidence that Russia would respect any agreement and satisfy itself with gains thus far, since it will want to continue to exercise its military and economic power over all of Ukraine.

4. A protracted "crisis" situation in Ukraine will prevent EU public opinion and sanctions from lapsing back to the old normal. This will also help Ukraine.

I think Germany has been negotiating with Russia without Ukraine.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This may have been already posted as fast as the thread is moving, but here is a very interesting article on Russia's unique cause of death statistics. Has some bearing on the Russian birth rate discussion from the last few pages:

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2014/sep/02/dying-russians/

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think Germany is making an earnest and good-faith effort to try and preserve peace in Eastern Europe, but they will fail.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cliff Racer posted:

He is just very passionate about the region and how awful it is that the pro-Russian terrorists are using civilians as human shields to make the Ukrainian army look bad.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

D-Pad posted:

This may have been already posted as fast as the thread is moving, but here is a very interesting article on Russia's unique cause of death statistics. Has some bearing on the Russian birth rate discussion from the last few pages:

It is interesting, (but a bit all over the place) obviously morality during the 1990s is a big issue and morality among Russians under the Soviet Union was also quite high.

One issue that isn't discussed is the health care system, and the severe budget cuts it went up to present, to the point it is effectively privatized. If you walk in with just your government id, prepared to wait and/or get the most minimal treatment possible. The only way to really get decent care from what I heard is to pay out of pocket or go to a private hospital.

Also, alcoholism is still unstoppable in Russia and it is rather amazing how many men especially die in accidents (which is sort of touch on in the article). I don't know if it is really beatable either, because to be honest life for a lot of Russians is quite miserable and the only outlet much of the time is to drink, I guess the positive thing is beer has become the drink of choice rather than vodka (part of that just might be minimum pricing on beer is lower).

Also, a lot of it is the climate, Russia has some of the most severe extremes of weather on the planet especially in Siberia. While other countries like Canada/Norway/Sweden/Finland also has some extreme weather, they also are developed countries with relatively stable civil societies and a social safety net, even then I know historically there was (maybe still is?) a problem with alcoholism in Finland and Sweden at least and they have pretty tight restrictions on liquor.

There are a lot of things going wrong in Russia but I don't think they are unknowable issues either or really unfixable. If Russia had gone from Soviet authoritarianism to stable social democracy, to be honest I don't think a lot of going on would have happened.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 7, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

He's been like that for some time now, you haven't noticed?

I have but if I went through the whole thread (not to mention last thread) pulling out all of his lovely one-line posts I'd have been here all day.

Ashendar
Oct 19, 2011

eigenstate posted:

One of the reason that the breakup of the Soviet Union went as easily as it did was because the West never recognized the annexation of the Baltic states in 1940, so when they declared independence, international recognition followed quickly.

Actually only few countries implicitly didn't recognize occupation both de jure and de facto. USA being one.
Most European countries had de facto recognition of Soviet's rule, and some countries, like Netherlands and Sweden, even had de jure recognition. Not that it matters now though.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

In minor comedy news:

"You're possessed by Satan!"

"No, you're possessed by Satan!"

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/08/russian-media-warns-of-satanist-conspiracy-at-the-top-in-ukraine/378836/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/06/us-ukraine-crisis-patriarch-putin-idUSKBN0H10F920140906

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

axelord posted:

It's pretty disgusting how willing you guys are to throw away Ukrainian lives for your hate of Russia. Maybe think about what your proposing and how it would effect the actual people living there.

Or even what happens if this war continues to escalate.

It's amazing how backwards this statement is. I really hope you are sarcastically exhorting people to remember that Putin started this and is directly responsible for the slaughter on both sides, because if you're not you are a goddamn idiot.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

It's amazing how backwards this statement is. I really hope you are sarcastically exhorting people to remember that Putin started this and is directly responsible for the slaughter on both sides, because if you're not you are a goddamn idiot.

This. All the dead are 100% Russia's fault. None of the actions of Ukraine were a justification for starting a war.

I wonder how long the Russian people will believe that they are the good ones in this conflict. The last American Iraq war as an example makes me not very optimistic.

Also I still want Putin and all his voluntary combatants in Ukraine dead. Although death would be too good for some of Putin's murderers and torturers of the innovent.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

my dad posted:

Why am I not even surprised? :(

Let me start this off by saying that the crimes committed over Albanians on Kosovo during Milošević's regime are inexcusable atrocities. That having been said:

Someone very close to me was inches away from ending up on the list of children killed by NATO bombs targeting residential areas. Not too long after the fall of Milošević, my family was in mortal danger because my father opposed the smash-and-grab privatization of a certain working, profitable company. Sure, the guy behind the privatization itself was a local rich thug, but the people in the government my father tried to talk to didn't do poo poo about it because their patrons in US and Europe insisted that unrestricted privatization was the ultimate force of good, and losing the support of their patrons would be a career ending move at the very least. (one of the government guys was pretty open about it, too)

During the bombing, NATO used large amounts of depleted Uranium ammo. That poo poo coincides with the sudden surge of cancer rate, leukemia, and birth deformities that the destruction of chemical plants alone cannot account for. Incidentally, that also explains the health issues experienced by a large number of KFOR troops stationed near popular missile targets (Mostly Italians. Those guys always get the wrong end of the stick). And since Kosovo was the most heavily bombed region of Yugoslavia, I can't even imagine how hard this effect its population. (Incidentally, RT is all over this, and separating stuff that quotes their propaganda from stuff that quotes actual reports is hell)

A direct result of NATO's post-war politics in Kosovo is ethnic cleansing of Kosovo and exile of a large number of Serbs, Roma, non-Albanian Muslims, Orthodox Christian Albanians, and several other groups who lived there, and extreme proliferation of criminal groups operating from Kosovo. It didn't get better once EU took over, either, and certainly didn't improve once the independence of Kosovo was declared. A highlight of how hilariously powerful the criminal control of Kosovo is would be that time when the head of the privatization agency got stabbed 11 times and the court declared it a suicide. A highlight of the international community not giving a gently caress would be death by lead poisoning of 27 Roma in an UNMIK camp in Kosovska Mitrovica, and also the fact that there was no serious international initiative to process KLA crimes until Ban Ki Moon himself insisted on it recently.

In short, gently caress NATO and gently caress the EU.

As of recently, I'm willing to say "gently caress Russia", too. Holy poo poo, the situation in Ukraine is growing worse by the minute.

I hate to break it to you, but DU isn't really used in bombs. And it's a lot less toxic than most of the alternatives, so you can rage all you want, but your facts seem highly suspect.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I hate to break it to you, but DU isn't really used in bombs. And it's a lot less toxic than most of the alternatives, so you can rage all you want, but your facts seem highly suspect.

My main source is NATO itself. 3 270 bullets containing DU were using during the bombing, according to them. And cluster bombs containing DU were also used, but it's harder to get NATO figures on them since they're trying to pretend they didn't use them.

You also have UNEP reports on the subject, and several statements by UN secretary generals, if those count as evidence.

Here's a paper on the subject published by damage estimate guys from our army in 2001: http://www.onk.ns.ac.rs/archive/Vol9/PDFVol9/V9n4p215.pdf I'm sure you can find more of you just do a cursory search on google.

Also, our government spent a significant amount of time and resources on decontaminating the most heavily radiated areas. I've seen estimates of about a total of 10 tons of DU being fired on Yugoslavia.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

D-Pad posted:

I don't buy this. I can't believe I read all the way to the end and the explanation of the high mortality rate is caused by the "lack of hope". If the reason is that simple, shouldn't the Baltic states have higher mortality rate than the Russians in the Soviet years since they were oppressed by the Soviet hegemony?

And isn't there a simple depression percentage number you can survey and do more scientific comparison, instead of eliminating alot of possible causes first and arrive at the "lack of hope" conclusion?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
DU doesn't irradiate areas.

edit: And I've been googling for a while and I don't see how cluster bombs would use DU. I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong if someone could link the composition, but all the cluster munitions I've found, like the M77 don't seem to use it. DU just doesn't make sense for what amounts to a lot of grenades. It's a fantastic perpetrator that sharpens itself, but it's not a good fragmentation material.

So what we're left with is a few thousand 30mm bullets from warthogs, assuming each one was fired from a warthog and didn't come from the smaller guns on strike fighters. I don't think the health impact is as high as you seem to believe it is. 10 tons can't have come from just 3000 rounds of bullets that weigh a few ounces.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 7, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DU doesn't irradiate areas.

Areas that were peppered with depleted Uranium and had the recorded radiation level increased several times compared to pre-bombing levels? I'd say the that word irradiated fits well enough.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Physically impossible. The stuff is less radioactive than uranium ore.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

my dad posted:

Areas that were peppered with depleted Uranium and had the recorded radiation level increased several times compared to pre-bombing levels? I'd say the that word irradiated fits well enough.

I think they're being intentionally stupid. Clearly you don't mean irradiated Chernobyl-core style, you're saying "irradiated" as in "littered with toxic radioactive by-products". And yes. You are correct. DU is extremely hazardous and has resulted in birth defects and other health issues due in large part to its use by NATO.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

DU is used in a number of armor penetrating rounds for various aircraft/tanks. The problem with DU is not the round itself, but when it strikes a hard surface, like armor or rock, it shaves off this awesome dust as the round is effectively whittled down that sure as poo poo will gently caress your lungs right up.
Its not a big enough issue to warrant finding an alternative, as a battle in the area is gonna leave all kinds of carcinogens in the area. Anything from lead to rocket fuel and worse shows up in soil after a fight.
Its just that, ya know, uranium dust is kinda Right up there in terms of things you don't want to breath in. And it hangs around in the air.

Edit: and yeah, DU can be incredibly harmful. Thinking differently is just naive. The DU in my rock collection may have the same risk of giving me cancer as the granite ledge my house is built on, but increase the surface area by a few million times by pulverizing it into a micron powder and then rub it all over your skin and see how you come out of it.

Diabeesting fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 7, 2014

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
DU scare would be more believable if the alternative wasn't horrifically more toxic.

edit: And don't think I'm arguing that DU isn't toxic. I'm arguing that it's not causing some Chernobyl spike of cancer. IF we used Tungsten for perpetrators the problem would be measurably worse.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 7, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I think they're being intentionally stupid. Clearly you don't mean irradiated Chernobyl-core style, you're saying "irradiated" as in "littered with toxic radioactive by-products". And yes. You are correct. DU is extremely hazardous and has resulted in birth defects and other health issues due in large part to its use by NATO.
Contaminated is probably a better word, since it's also a toxic metal on top of whatever radioactivity.

DU scare would be more believable if the alternative wasn't horrifically more toxic.
I'm not sure the fact that things could be worse somehow mitigate the problems that do result from it?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's not the radiation that's the problem, it's the fact that you're breathing vaporized heavy metals

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Contaminated is probably a better word, since it's also a toxic metal on top of whatever radioactivity.

I'm not sure the fact that things could be worse somehow mitigate the problems that do result from it?

Contaminated is a perfectly acceptable word, but we're just not talking about that much heavy metal from 3000 rounds of 30 mm. Alternatives are important, no one is going to stop using penetrators in war unless we see people stop driving around in tanks and APC's. So if NATO uses something that's less dangerous than Tungsten then it counts for a lot.

edit: Hell, just reading the first paragraphs of his evidence reads like some gulf war syndrome conspiracy site. Tomahawk cruise missiles do no use DU in their tips. Why would we want to weigh down the tips of cruise missiles? It's just a bunch of unsubstantiated crap all around. The only thing dropping DU was warthogs, and each of those bullets is about half a pound, so we're looking at 1 and a half tons of heavy metal dropped on the entire country. You're going to see a lot more toxicity out of the chemical plant he mentioned than what NATO did.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 7, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

So what we're left with is a few thousand 30mm bullets from warthogs, assuming each one was fired from a warthog and didn't come from the smaller guns on strike fighters. I don't think the health impact is as high as you seem to believe it is. 10 tons can't have come from just 3000 rounds of bullets that weigh a few ounces.

That's because NATO number is horseshit. It took them forever just to admit that they've been using DU ammo, and are still trying to make it look as low as possible.

Here's an article from 2002: http://mondediplo.com/2002/03/03uranium
The guy who published that article recently managed to come across a UN report from 1999 stating that 10 tons of DU were used.

It's worth noting that the main damage from DU ammo comes from inhaling the dust and eating contaminated food, not from the radiation it causes when not inside a human body.

e: beaten about that last point, it seems

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The US admitted to using warthogs during the war, so I don't see how they were lying about using DU during the war. Everyone knows what a warthog main gun round shoots. That's a ton and a half. The rest of the tonnage either comes from you guys lying, finding contamination that isn't NATO's fault, or NATO being run by Snidely Whiplash and putting DU in bombs where it makes absolutely no military sense to do so.

edit: And the linked article miss attributes the dangers of DU to being an internal radiation source. Find some better sources that don't read like something I'd hear on coast to coast about gulf war vets getting sick or something else. You can find plenty of actual legitimate things about DU with out having to resort to conspiracy science.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 7, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Contaminated is a perfectly acceptable word, but we're just not talking about that much heavy metal from 3000 rounds of 30 mm.
3000 rounds is what, 60 seconds of fire from an A10? That doesn't sounds like much firing time to me, but then again, I'm no expert. You're right though, that's only a bit less than a ton.

Alternatives are important, no one is going to stop using penetrators in war unless we see people stop driving around in tanks and APC's. So if NATO uses something that's less dangerous than Tungsten then it counts for a lot.
Sure, finding something better would be ideal. My point is really that this is a small comfort for the people who actually have to live where that poo poo was used, and treating it like some insincere scare is kind of dickish.

The US admitted to using warthogs during the war, so I don't see how they were lying about using DU during the war. Everyone knows what a warthog main gun round shoots. That's a ton and a half. The rest of the tonnage either comes from you guys lying, finding contamination that isn't NATO's fault, or NATO being run by Snidely Whiplash and putting DU in bombs where it makes absolutely no military sense to do so.
Isn't the DU used for penetration? Can you explain why using it in bunker busters would make no military sense?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

There was a war, heavy metals are left over from that war and people still feel the effects of it. It's a terrible thing but I don't really see what your point is. War is bad?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

edit: And the linked article miss attributes the dangers of DU to being an internal radiation source. Find some better sources that don't read like something I'd hear on coast to coast about gulf war vets getting sick or something else. You can find plenty of actual legitimate things about DU with out having to resort to conspiracy science.

Here: https://www.google.rs/url?sa=t&rct=...9,d.bGQ&cad=rja (warning, PDF download link)

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's what I was trying to get at, yeah. You just worded it way less stupidly than I did. :P

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Isn't the DU used for penetration? Can you explain why using it in bunker busters would make no military sense?

That would entirely depend on the number of bunkers that NATO busted. I don't think there was much talk of bunker busting during said war, and I can't find any reliable source yet on what exactly the penetrator is made out of. That said, from the opinion of toxology I'd think a giant slug of heavy metal deep in the shattered remains of a bunker is a much smaller concern than that used to penetrate armored vehicles. When we're talking about long term contamination it's largely from the dust. Burnt and oxidized DU is very nasty.

The majority of bombing though was blowing buildings up. One of the claims in the article he linked is that the US was boosting it's Tomahawks by putting heavy DU tips in them. That doesn't make any sense, and is pretty crackpot. There is no advantage to using heavy metals when you want fragmentation, shrapnel, or just explosive force to level a normal buildings.

Either way, I'm trying to find a source that doesn't start talking about internal radiation sources, or other nonsense before I can safely say how many bunker busters were actually dropped. IT's possible that I could be wrong, but only if Kosovo was run by the mole people in their giant bunker cities.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

3000 rounds is what, 60 seconds of fire from an A10? That doesn't sounds like much firing time to me, but then again, I'm no expert. You're right though, that's only a bit less than a ton.

It's approximetly 2 a 10's going bingo on ammo on their main guns, and some change from a third. However, I think it's unlikely that A-10's were really having a field day in Kosovo. They only showed up towards the end, and while people love to talk about the a-10, it's really not that useful. If NATO says they shot off 3000 rounds I'm inclined to believe that. Most kills were probably from Apache's and other weapons.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sure, finding something better would be ideal. My point is really that this is a small comfort for the people who actually have to live where that poo poo was used, and treating it like some insincere scare is kind of dickish.

War itself is pretty dickish, but so is lying about the results and using said lies to claim that NATO is double baby eating instead of just baby eating. You want to blame things on NATO? Be my guest, they do a lot of things wrong, but stick to the facts and don't perpetuate lies and propaganda.

Anyways, I'm genuinely curious as to what makes things like the GBU-28 tick, so if anyone finds anything reliable feel free to toss me a link.

edit:
" Official reports from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)5, and for governments and military in the United Kingdom6, United States7 and Europe8 have consistently minimized radiological health risks from DU weapons."

Don't get me wrong, this is a better article, but stuff like this kind of ruins it. Yes they're minimizing the radiological risks because the risks are from it being a heavy metal! Every source you post wants to start talking about non existent risks and links to big scary atoms which is a terrible argument to make. It takes away from the very real and actual risks of heavy metal which is what people should focus on.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 7, 2014

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Also this:

quote:

Most military use of depleted uranium has been as 30 mm caliber ordnance, primarily the 30 mm PGU-14/B armour-piercing incendiary round from the GAU-8 Avenger cannon of the A-10 Thunderbolt II used by the United States Air Force. 25 mm DU rounds have been used in the M242 gun mounted on the U.S. Army's Bradley Fighting Vehicle and the Marine Corps's LAV-25
The U.S. Marine Corps uses DU in the 25 mm PGU-20 round fired by the GAU-12 Equalizer cannon of the AV-8B Harrier, and also in the 20 mm M197 gun mounted on AH-1 Cobra helicopter gunships. The United States Navy's Phalanx CIWS's M61 Vulcan Gatling gun used 20 mm armor-piercing penetrator rounds with discarding plastic sabots made using depleted uranium, later changed to tungsten.
Another use of depleted uranium is in kinetic energy penetrators, anti-armor rounds such as the 120 mm sabot rounds fired from the British Challenger 1, Challenger 2,[30] M1A1 and M1A2 Abrams.[31] Kinetic energy penetrator rounds consist of a long, relatively thin penetrator surrounded by a discarding sabot. Staballoys are metal alloys of depleted uranium with a very small proportion of other metals, usually titanium or molybdenum. One formulation has a composition of 99.25% by mass of depleted uranium and 0.75% by mass of titanium. Staballoys are approximately 1.67 times as dense as lead and are designed for use in kinetic energy penetrator armor-piercing ammunition. The US Army uses DU in an alloy with around 3.5% titanium.

The Russian military has used DU ammunition in tank main gun ammunition since the late 1970s, mostly for the 115 mm guns in the T-62 tank and the 125 mm guns in the T-64, T-72, T-80, and T-90 tanks.

It is thought that between 17 and 20 countries have weapons incorporating depleted uranium in their arsenals. They include the U.S., the UK, France, Russia, China, India, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Pakistan, Thailand, Iraq and Taiwan.

In a three-week period of conflict in Iraq during 2003 it was estimated that over 1000 tons of depleted uranium munitions were used.

So yeah. A little bit more than "1 ton used by the A-10".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

That would entirely depend on the number of bunkers that NATO busted. I don't think there was much talk of bunker busting during said war, and I can't find any reliable source yet on what exactly the penetrator is made out of. That said, from the opinion of toxology I'd think a giant slug of heavy metal deep in the shattered remains of a bunker is a much smaller concern than that used to penetrate armored vehicles. When we're talking about long term contamination it's largely from the dust. Burnt and oxidized DU is very nasty.
I was talking more generally in this case, not any specific use.

War itself is pretty dickish, but so is lying about the results and using said lies to claim that NATO is double baby eating instead of just baby eating. You want to blame things on NATO? Be my guest, they do a lot of things wrong, but stick to the facts and don't perpetuate lies and propaganda.
I guess what I'm saying is that I'm willing to give people living in areas where people are suffering various kinds of symptoms of environmental poisons a bit more latitude when it comes to believing poo poo, though obviously this doesn't mean one should necessarily take their word for it either, or not attempt to counter their claims if one believes them to be based on faulty information.

• Locked thread