Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The main issue is the big XP penalty if you don't do >50% of a mob's health which makes soloing as a necro really annoying anyway when your pet hits like a truck for the first 30 levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I Love You! posted:

The main issue is the big XP penalty if you don't do >50% of a mob's health which makes soloing as a necro really annoying anyway when your pet hits like a truck for the first 30 levels.

Really no reason at all to solo on this server if you can at all avoid it. The xp bonus is insanely good.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Really no reason at all to solo on this server if you can at all avoid it. The xp bonus is insanely good.

It's shocking how good it is in terms of not being so insane that you don't actually spend any time in an area but instead gives you JUST enough time to learn an area, lock it down, have a few mishaps, get it down pat, then gain enough xp to move on to the next area around the time you would start getting bored. I basically duoed or soloed almost exclusively in classic whenever I could help it and I'm having tons of fun actually meeting people and building my friends list which would have seemed like a huge waste of time and effort without this group bonus being exactly what it is right now.

It's weird being excited to log on and join a group. I've always played EQ primarily for the PvP and to start fights and level more or less only when there wasn't other stuff to do but I'm having a blast just delving into dungeons and dropping phat ranger heals on dudes

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 5, 2014

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

nwin posted:

Had tons of fun tonight. Was in Kurns and joined a group with some goons and some monk Mahatma. Mahatma was one level too high for me to get xp, so I asked if he would step out so I could ding in a few kills, to which he obliged. Then he pulled a bunch of poo poo and obviously didn't get the group message saying to zone because it was too much. He ended up dying, then sent me a nasty tell. He came back to get his vengeance (I was out of range for him to kill me), so nameless ended up rooting him and the rest of the group killed him. Then nameless logged, Mahatma came back trying to train us I think, and then he got rooted at the zone in by one of us, failed his FD multiple times, and died to the mobs at zone line. He got a high level shaman to help keep him alive, but eventually gave up.

Haha yeah, this was a blast. I did kinda feel bad for Mahatma at first and I was hoping he would just accept my apology for his death, loot, and rejoin us (he was good dps after all), but he HAD to go and attack Gorp. That's why I rooted him and shook my DE rear end in his face just out of melee range while you guys destroyed him. The dude had 0 MR gear. What the hell was he thinking.

Oh and he was definitely wrong about shamans and using slow on every pull before level 20. I think we pretty clearly ended that debate last night.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Slow is rarely useful in a full group until much later, when stuff isn't exploding in <15 seconds to full group damage. Even in protracted fights Walking Sleep is usually a waste of mana just because its duration is so short - you're typically better off nuking/DOTing/rooting/healing instead depending on the situation. Shamans in general are poo poo before 24, and don't really get good until 39.

That monk sounds precious. I lucked into an unrest group last night with druid PL assistance and a few twinks in the party and the XP was fantastic. Then some moron showed up with his twink rogue and tried to kill various group members for about an hour, blowing through a few k worth of consumables in the process. He never came close and nearly died several times before finally plugging while zoning to DC at 2% hp or so, but sadly wasted enough of our time that all the twinks/PLers had to go after he gave up.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Have any of you Red server dudes hit the 40s yet?

I hear the server takes a very steep dive for the worse at that point. Like "deleveled twinks in VP gear with bind spots at the good exp spots solely to grief you" type of worse.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

xZAOx posted:

I hear the server takes a very steep dive for the worse at that point. Like "deleveled twinks in VP gear with bind spots at the good exp spots solely to grief you" type of worse.

Yeah, a good number of us post-40. 40-50 is fun as hell, and we can always just take our groups off to some place untravelled like kedge and grind in total peace (if not safety). Deleveled twinks are always a problem but people are more likely to want to group up and fight together than come after you by orders of magnitude.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

xZAOx posted:

I've got a 52 Cleric and a recently 47 Bard. Yes you'll run into twinks, but it hasn't been a huge problem. Leveled through all of 40s in guk, only once did a Flowers come try to PK my cleric (while rezzing the 40s group), but we didn't really have much contest. Our CoM group last night had a wizard from <The Plague> PK our monk a few times, but it really isn't the ganksquad fest that Bluelords like to paint Red.

Plus, if that DID happen, we'd just do as I Love You! said, call LNS, loot ourselves, and port to another one of the numerous, unoccupied dungeons for 40+ xp groups.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Also a very large % of gankers have no interest in killing you more than once in a session. They're aiming for unique kills not spamming the server with the same message over and over. I know when I used to PK regularly I would never kill someone more than once unless they bind rushed me or were particularly annoying - it just wasn't what I was shooting for.

There's often no need to call LNS or change zones at all. Just wait 5 minutes and then resume.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Me and T-bone hilariously kited a Crushbone twink yesterday all the way from Gfay to Steamfont. He couldn't catch us because we had high level sow on. He was getting pretty annoyed and was using sow pots. I actually ran right into that goddamned unicorn in Lfay and died, but T-Bone managed to survive until the guy got frustrated and logged off.

If I can't fight a twink I'm at least gonna make them waste a lot of time trying to hunt me down and kill me.

One thing I have noticed on this server is a lot of people get super frustrated and log if they're getting pked by twinks. I don't get that. You don't lose any xp and barely any money unless they catch you at a really inopportune time. You can always LNS if they are assholes and try to camp you, and you can always find other places to XP if they are being a nuisance. People get way too upset about being pked given that it has virtually no consequences other than a little lost time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
LNS = Loot 'n Scoot, I gathered that much. But is shouting LNS enforced as a server rule, or just common courtesy that even the twinks adhere too?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

xZAOx posted:

LNS = Loot 'n Scoot, I gathered that much. But is shouting LNS enforced as a server rule, or just common courtesy that even the twinks adhere too?

It's GM enforced, preferred to be player enforced, and it comes with suspension if you violate it so people honor it or get suspended if they are found to be jerks. Basically the rule is: If you call LNS, you are required to loot, mem a few spells (gate, invis, whatever your class has), and leave the zone for 1 hour. If you try attacking them WHILE on your CR, or after looting.. Well you'd best get ready for being camped. LNS is the tuck your tail and move away approach, generally it is rare that you get camped unless you are affiliated with one of the top guilds, or are being a crybaby about being pvp'd.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148787 Here is the post about Red's unique PnP rules.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 5, 2014

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Went home over lunch and decided to log in real quick to see if anybody wanted to buy those gat'drat bone chips (heh). Almost immediately, I get a tell from a guy saying he's interested in knowing how cheap I was offering them. I told him "5p per stack. Honestly just trying to get rid of them so that I can make enough cash to get a newbie monk weapon." A little more chatting with him about how awesome Red is and he tells me "today is your lucky day, you found a guy in the right mood."

Guy runs all the way over to Cabilis bank from OT, then gives me a Sarnak Emblazened Tabard, Cloak of the Ice Bear, Hand Woven Shoulder Guards, Fine Silk Turban, Collar of Undead Protection, Iksar Scaled Gloves, Essence of Dol, and 150 plat. All for 20 stacks of bone chips.

:stonklol:

Red is the best server.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Siets posted:

Went home over lunch and decided to log in real quick to see if anybody wanted to buy those gat'drat bone chips (heh). Almost immediately, I get a tell from a guy saying he's interested in knowing how cheap I was offering them. I told him "5p per stack. Honestly just trying to get rid of them so that I can make enough cash to get a newbie monk weapon." A little more chatting with him about how awesome Red is and he tells me "today is your lucky day, you found a guy in the right mood."

Guy runs all the way over to Cabilis bank from OT, then gives me a Sarnak Emblazened Tabard, Cloak of the Ice Bear, Hand Woven Shoulder Guards, Fine Silk Turban, Collar of Undead Protection, Iksar Scaled Gloves, Essence of Dol, and 150 plat. All for 20 stacks of bone chips.

Red is the best server.

That's awesome.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've never called a LNS personally. The worst I ever had it with pking was that rear end in a top hat ogre twink Silvers pked my mage at MM entrance and then a little later as I was trying to get to GFAY he got me again. But he logged after that, so I never had to call LNS. I'm pretty sure he camped me because in typical spiteful fashion I zoned in and out of MM like forty times because I wanted to make him work for the kill.

Generally PKs are twinks who prefer to wipe out a zone once or twice then log for a while, so I haven't encountered anybody trying to corpse camp me yet. Just take the death, loot your corpse, and leave if they're still there. Often they won't even be there when you go back to get your corpse, or they'll be busy trying to kill somebody else.

Running can work too of course but many of them carry sow pots so that makes it difficult to escape unless you're able to land a root on them.

Siets posted:

Red is the best server.

Despite the pieces of poo poo that spam ooc with their inane garbage and give red a bad name, there is also a fair amount of cool people who will go out of their way to help. Some random wizard yesterday ported T-Bone and I to GFAY and bound us despite us not even asking him to do it. He just offered to do it, and I'm glad he did because that's a helluva better leveling spot than where we were.

On my mage, I went from 1-30 real fast and a lot of that came from getting in groups that would randomly get PLed by cool dudes. In one group I had to go to bed because I was real tired and they just let me afk in the group because they still wanted the xp bonus. I woke up to a new level. People are generally pretty chill here.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 5, 2014

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm going to be that guy: anyone got a little cash money platinum for Ginette and I to buy our next round of spells at 14/15 and and 19/22? And like he said we're on Faydwer now (lvl 13) if anyone in that range is lookin for a group. I know we've got another goon enchanter that range at least in those parts.

e: although thinking about it I've got some blue items/platinum that works out to 6k or so I could probably get some seed money through that, no?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 5, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

T-Bone posted:

I'm going to be that guy: anyone got a little cash money platinum for Ginette and I to buy our next round of spells at 14/15 and and 19/22? And like he said we're on Faydwer now (lvl 13) if anyone in that range is lookin for a group. I know we've got another goon enchanter that range at least in those parts.

e: although thinking about it I've got some blue items/platinum that works out to 6k or so I could probably get some seed money through that, no?

SOMEONE has money for you. I guarantee this much. Sadly I'm nowhere near there on any of my chars or I would hook you up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Word, in the meantime I'll see if I can trade some of this blue crap - I bet I can get like 1-2k out of it if I can find a legit buyer

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Siets posted:

Red is the best server.

Lol and I'm pretty sure I was telling you that nobody even bothers buying bone chips last night.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Lol and I'm pretty sure I was telling you that nobody even bothers buying bone chips last night.

Yeah, while I was convo'ing the buyer, another monk that I had grouped with from a few nights earlier saw my WTS in /ooc and whispered me:

"Isn't selling bone chips on Kunark a bit like trying to sell sand at a beach?"

I suppose it is guy. BUT! ...every once in awhile you meet that cool rich beach bum who just doesn't give a gently caress and is willing to help out.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I guess it's kind of endearing to see a little noob advertising his bone chips.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

T-Bone posted:

I can help! I'm currently on Kunark, but i'll manage my way back ~soon~. I moved over here to help distribute the wealth to the large core of newbies leveling here (got stuck XPing in CoM), but I was planning on hitting the firepots to come tag others / etc. Alternatively I may just log in my friends druid and port him there and back. What are your character names?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

T-Bone posted:

Word, in the meantime I'll see if I can trade some of this blue crap - I bet I can get like 1-2k out of it if I can find a legit buyer

Hit me up next time I'm on, I'll throw you guys a few hundred plat if you say bad things about the Devils.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
thanks duders - my name is Rozanne and Ginette is Forrest we should be around like at 8 or 9 est tonight

(buane :mad: )

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:frogsiren: Serverwide message just went out a few minutes ago on Red! :frogsiren:

quote:

Your vision dims and your head begins to spin... the faint smell of burning ozone fills your senses. The sky seems to darken, and the air grows still. An unsettling quiet descends across the land. Something is not right.

...Velious?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Red sounds neat but I'd miss the economy on Blue too much. Working the auction zone is half the fun of EQ for me.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Siets posted:

:frogsiren: Serverwide message just went out a few minutes ago on Red! :frogsiren:

...Velious?

sadly no, but hop in stream if you enjoy angry derubael

http://www.twitch.tv/derubael

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Republicans posted:

Red sounds neat but I'd miss the economy on Blue too much. Working the auction zone is half the fun of EQ for me.

Red economy is way better. Auc an item for a very good deal using the server-wide OOC, only reply to people who you know are within PK level range, and murder any unsuspecting people too foolish to carry their wealth in peridots. Become the biggest dick on the server, it is your calling.

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
Is it safe to come back to the glory that is Velious(on blue)? Or is another six month absences in order.

I guess I could come back and EC whore, that is always good times.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

oh god just reinstalled this on a new computer after not playing in a year+

minor miracle I remembered any of the passwords, now I just gotta spend some time fixing the UI.

so I hear that Staves of Shielding (on blue) are dirt cheap now - how much for those and what about Fungi tunics?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Fungi tunics are a mere 20k plat on Red (where you should be playing with the rest of us! :pedo:)

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
Trying out red as a druid named Stabtacular

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Siets posted:

Fungi tunics are a mere 20k plat on Red (where you should be playing with the rest of us! :pedo:)

Yeah I never really played a Necro past like level 4 so I think ill make a lizard one on Red. Probably a lizard so is there anyone I need to look for to get a group or possibly a tag?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I'm going to be out in City of Mist for at least a few more levels, but as soon as I get back to civilization I promise half a hundred officer tags for everyone.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
I can tag on Punchguy in FoB still.

Troll fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 7, 2014

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Siets posted:

Is that for real? I saw a guy selling fungi in OOC at that price and I assumed he was trolling for laughs

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Sold some blue stuff for some red plat so I'm good thanks again though guys - I'll be tonight bopping stuff on the head with Ginette (Rozanne and Forrest) in CB or Unrest if anyone wants in (lvl 12-18 range)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

a real jerk posted:

Is that for real? I saw a guy selling fungi in OOC at that price and I assumed he was trolling for laughs

I guess it comes down to supply and demand on red. Less of a playerbase means less people to sell to, exp bonus means its easier to get up to the level needed to farm it, along with a group of people who farmed it heavily back when it had the buffed droprate. There's more to do on red other than "just create another alt" as it is on blue which also drives up blue's price.

A lot of other classic fresh alt items are also really cheap. I guess 4k plat is the regular going rate for Flowing Black Silken Sash. (Can't wait to get me one! :getin:)

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I Love You! posted:

I'm going to be out in City of Mist for at least a few more levels, but as soon as I get back to civilization I promise half a hundred officer tags for everyone.

how does our fearless leader feel on letting pubbies into the fine ranks of SLAMDUNKATRON? Aeolian (idk who this is on sa) made some friends in CB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

onesixtwo posted:

how does our fearless leader feel on letting pubbies into the fine ranks of SLAMDUNKATRON? Aeolian (idk who this is on sa) made some friends in CB

While I don't want to make a habit of inviting EVERYONE we end up making friends with because at some point it becomes significantly harder to coordinate and keep track of poo poo, I have no problem inviting anybody who is cool and also not lame, just let me know who they are, who is friends with them, and I will make sure not to give them officer since we should probably avoid a chain of uncontrolled invites.

At some point we are almost certainly going to have a PvP presence which is going to result in people hating and/or wanting to murder us. This is something we will figure out when the time comes - and really we're probably going to end up attacking a whole lot of everyone since we tend to have a lot of people online at once and are goons. At that point we might have to be a little more careful (or the opposite, get a shitton of people so we are invincible) but until that point I don't give a goddamn

Remember: SLAMDUNKATRON company policy requires that you attack (or befriend) absolutely anyone you want for any reason whatsoever. If at some point people get into poopsocking we have some sort of raiding presence that requires us to make and maintain friends, we might put some sort of caveat on "please don't attack XYZ guild if you are tagged) but as it stands go nuts. We can always set up a splinter guild if it somehow starts to matter, right now we're all having fun so let's keep doing that

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 7, 2014

• Locked thread