Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Scatterfold posted:

Am i right in thinking (as an unamerican) that this is October 12th?

Something like that. What ever made up holidays in the middle of October your nation has will be fine.

toadee posted:

Oh, there are plenty, two types of stepped control sequencers and an event sequencer, I was more worried it would be too expansive of an environment to count as a challenge hah

Ehnn, sequencer's probably on par or a little less feature-full than an Rm1x. Synth engine's a lot more capable, but that's basically just extra rope for you to hang yourself with.

Mrwimmer posted:

Can I get an exception for the groovebox thing and use just the triangle and noise channels of Famitracker for a track? I own no groovebox, and no Idevice.

Totally, trackers are acceptable. Excluding kids from playing because they have tranformers toys instead of thundercats toys was lame in elementary school, it's just as lame now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Hi guys. Gonna start trying to get into synths soon. What is the thread's opinion on the Roland System 1? I was looking at the Microkorg as my first purchase but apparently it's worse than I was led to believe.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hey maybe I'll take part after all and make something with korg DS-10. Back to the roots and all that poo poo.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Hey maybe I'll take part after all and make something with korg DS-10. Back to the roots and all that poo poo.

I'd rather you do something with their DS M1 thing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

I'd rather you do something with their DS M1 thing.

Send me a DS Lite or a Japanese DSi and the M1 and ok because I don't have money

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

Hi guys. Gonna start trying to get into synths soon. What is the thread's opinion on the Roland System 1? I was looking at the Microkorg as my first purchase but apparently it's worse than I was led to believe.

I don't know if I've seen a solid opinion from anyone on the System-1, they didn't even have demo units out when I was in Tokyo so who knows. Honestly, if it delivers on what it promises even half way it's going to be a pretty decent little box.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Bet DS flash carts are getting real cheap.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wait wait wait it looks like I've always thought M01 is a DSi cartridge which are region locked (DS-10+ and no EU release :argh:), but it's in fact a normal DS one. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It's actually in the us/eu eshop now.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014
Or get a 2ds in preperation for the DSN-12 and the MO1D in the meantime.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/korg_dsn12/

And sweet! I'll get workin. It'll be fun only having one channel capable of volume control :slick:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Startyde posted:

It's actually in the us/eu eshop now.

Not for the DSi though :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whoa whoa whoa, why have I never heard of Korg M01D before or that it's in the eshop?! :aaa:
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you synth thread, I can always count on you to make me spend money :love:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Does the System 1 have polyphony? Everything I've read about it points to it just being an SH-101 VA clone

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
4 voices in system 1 mode. Monophonic with the SH-101 plug out.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Sizone posted:

Ehnn, sequencer's probably on par or a little less feature-full than an Rm1x. Synth engine's a lot more capable, but that's basically just extra rope for you to hang yourself with.

Rope you say?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So I've decided to actually make something in Ableton, which means I need to force myself not to get hung up on perfecting individual sound to the point of not making anything. That said, right off the bat I'm running into a problem I've had for a while which is that I keep hitting the volume limit with just the bassline and kick/hats:

Which obviously is a mixing problem, but it makes it a tiny bit of a pain when I can't really hear if there's something I'm missing out on, such as a hum in the lower end that isn't coming through as much. I mean, I've EQd things to poo poo but I'm still ending up with the whole "I'm redlining but the bass is quiet" thing even after EQing and sidechaining. So, since this is obviously a mixing problem anyone know what I can do about this? I'm determined not to spend all week just loving getting the levels right so I've moved on and lowered the volume to where it doesn't clip for now but I'd really like to figure this out since it's been a persistent pain.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Turn the volume on the channels down and the volume on the master up.

Play music you know is mixed well through the same system set to the same volume and take a cue off of it.

I am terrible at mixing because I'm like 'eh fuckit' and I just want to make pretty patterns, so don't listen to anything I say, actually.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Which obviously is a mixing problem
It's more of a monitoring problem if you're trying to incorporate frequencies in your mix that you can't hear.

To be honest, I think a bandpass filter should be standard on every mixer channel by default, but still. Need some decent speakers and/or have them set up properly.

toadee posted:

Turn the volume on the channels down and the volume on the master up.
Master volume on the monitors themselves, sure. If you mean all within Live's mixer, then that doesn't do poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Maybe this qualifies for the groovebox stuff. Zoom 234 + Modded Monotron, audio used as CV.
Very lofi.

https://soundcloud.com/wolf-424/zoom234mongotron

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I've decided to actually make something in Ableton, which means I need to force myself not to get hung up on perfecting individual sound to the point of not making anything. That said, right off the bat I'm running into a problem I've had for a while which is that I keep hitting the volume limit with just the bassline and kick/hats:

Keep your kick channel at about -12 or -10 dB and mix to about -8 or -6 overall. Leave your master at 0 dB.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
So, I've been blogging about synth and DAW stuff for the past three years just for fun, and I recently decided to experiment with AdSense to collect a few pennies on the side. Once the ads went live I visited the blog anonymously to see what the end user experience would be- and all I saw were these weird dating ads and mail order bride stuff. (In other words, nothing to do with synths or computers.)

I was trying to figure out WTF was going on, so I took a look at my site statistics- and three of the top search terms people used to find my site were:
  • man with pussy
  • man pussy
  • mann mit muschi
What the hell, internet.

Also, have you seen Richard Devine jamming on two Akai Rhythm Wolves yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLnkpAXDCz8

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 5, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Was about to post the Devine vid, it looks like the Rhythm Wolf is a legit thing.

Here's a less processed video so you can get a better idea of it more or less raw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkQtFqqmFUw

e: Here's one that popped up as related which I guess is from a French site,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzmFH3Bx6HE

net work error fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 5, 2014

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

wayfinder posted:

Keep your kick channel at about -12 or -10 dB and mix to about -8 or -6 overall. Leave your master at 0 dB.

I'd really love a "basic mixing for dummies" post! I know about band-passing stuff, compression, etc. but I'd like to know how to use these things properly. Same with mastering strategies. I know what the things do, but I'm never sure if I use them in a way that will make my stuff sound okay on all kinds of speakers.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Your Computer posted:

On the contrary, it's the biggest piece of poo poo ever and it feels like a cheap plastic toy and the integration is a horrible hackjob :eng101:

Turns out you're right, after spending a day with mine I'm sending it back for a refund. The software sucks and refused to update the controller firmware, the automap poo poo managed to crash ableton somehow, and worst of all literally everything on it feels cheap except for the knobs, and I have enough knobs via my Maschine for that to be a reason to keep it. I'm super disappointed, I expected way better for that kind of cash. The keybed was barely an upgrade over this lovely $50 M-Audio thing I have.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

FLX posted:

I'd really love a "basic mixing for dummies" post! I know about band-passing stuff, compression, etc. but I'd like to know how to use these things properly. Same with mastering strategies. I know what the things do, but I'm never sure if I use them in a way that will make my stuff sound okay on all kinds of speakers.

The 5-minute basics are:

- your two best friends are the spectroscope and the level meter
- everything but the kick and the lowest bass should be high-passed with a not-to-steep filter (6-18db), at a frequency that removes not the essence of the sound, but the unheard parts
- carve out distinct freq ranges for every element, with EQs. When two elements have to share a similar space, work with stereo placement, volume automation (including sidechaining), and phrasing/rhythm to separate them
- use compression only, ONLY when you understand what it is doing! Compression as a mixing tool (as opposed to using it for creative effects) is rarely if ever necessary with synthesizers, since you have much finer control over a generated sound in the synth's parameters than you have over a recording, with compression. Work with volume envelopes!
- catch stray peaks on a track with a limiter, set it so that it doesn't change the sound perceptibly
- shoot for a clean mix, even loudness in similar parts and distinctive, audibly separate elements

- amateur "mastering" (bit of a misnomer but I won't go into that) is today usually mostly volume maximization, and there's any number of plugins to do that very well, very transparently, and perfectly adequately for enjoying the music, shopping stuff around, playing it parties, and giving it out for people to listen. In the event of a "proper" release, do spend the 40 quid on a great mastering engineer's time and expertise. Mastering and production are very different domains with surprisingly little overlap in knowledge.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In Ableton I tend to set all tracks to at least -6db, and pull down the Master to somewhere between -2 and -6 (once all my parts are done I run through Ozone to bring it back up to nearly 0db, though since recently upgrading to 9 I find the 'mastering racks' are getting some use; The Glue is fantastic, as is the spectrum metering in EQ8). I'm using Battery for my drums, and my template set has separate outs for kick, snare, hats, cymbals etc, and due to the way the human ear perceives high and low frequencies, I often find my cymbals and hats channels are at least -16 to make my kit sound balanced after eq etc on the channels, even though I'm not tending to boost too much. At the end of the day, there's not really hard and fast rules about mixing, just rough guidelines: if it sounds 'right' it is right, and don't forget another set of ears can make all the difference- my (non producer, though musician) brother will often point out stuff I never even noticed.

Whilst not strictly synth, I always highpass my guitars at somewhere between 100 and 200 Hz depending on how they are tuned and how high gain my Guitar Rig tone is, same goes for pads or any 'rich' tones that aren't bass or kick- I am recently writing metal with some drumstep/dnb influences so clarity is important.

A limiter is normally a good idea so long as it isn't squashing everything, but is absolutely VITAL with Zeta 2 if you are browsing the presets for ideas as volumes can vary wildly, some are loving loud.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't normally play with synthy stuff but I wanged my wrist and so I can't play guitar right now. So a couple hours (I know) of playing with sequencers in Reaper and the free Native Instruments stuff I made this. I know it's terrible but much fun was had playing with it!

Anyone got some pro quick tips? I've read through the thread and there's a lot of advice on what synths and packages to buy, but not too much on how to actually make music (Unless I missed something)!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
There's no one right way to synth, but the right way to synth is to make a bunch of patches, put together a drum kit, get some samples together and then sequence. The sequencing process may, at any time, be interrupted to make more patches, put together more kits, make more sample or, most likely, buy more poo poo.
Usually you start with a drum beat.
If I need to tell you more than that either your question is not specific enough or you don't know what music is.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Attempting to make a song trip report:

So uhhh I'm bad at this.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

...but not too much on how to actually make music (Unless I missed something)!

Nope, nothing at all

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

More of a jam than a song but here you go Sizone:
https://soundcloud.com/johnnyc-1/synthgoon-challenge-2014

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

wayfinder posted:

The 5-minute basics are:

Regarding songs and jams and so on, here is my latest creation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYcTpuxou8&index=1&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The best bass drum on the QY700 also has the worst sample rate aliasing.

I keep inserting breakdowns into the challenge song, and the more elements I remove, the more I hear it. It's maddening.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

It's my Birthday this month, and I've gotten some cash to combust. I can add my own and or expect the odd 100$ from other sources, but I got 600$ plus maybe 200$ total.

I'm looking at the MiniNova, UltraNova and Waldorf Pulse 2. Or possibly just a better midi controller (I have a Samson carbon 49, it's an iffy keyboard and not much else) and some software.

Has anybody tried the Pulse 2?

I guess the main thing that has me all indecisive is liking the layout of mono synths, but the features of poly/digital synths.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

FLX posted:

Regarding songs and jams and so on, here is my latest creation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYcTpuxou8&index=1&list=PL5AAC61D0DF9D715D

Oh hey your post on the synths subreddit inspired me to get off my butt and try something that wasn't sampled into the computer or an aimless noise noodle with my rack.

http://youtu.be/u0NAVUhnDsE

Got any tips for live sequencing? Doing things live is very stressful.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

syntaxfunction posted:

Anyone got some pro quick tips?

You need gear, and LOTS of it. :science:

The more gear and hardware synthesizers you can own, the better. More = better. Repeat that like a mantra. Also the more expensive, the better your music will sound. Really, 100% analog is the easiest way to sound best. The more options and choices you have, the easier you will be able to create fully written structured songs.

Try and get a hold of some hardware samplers from the late 80's/early 90's as well. Really easy to load sounds and to program. Just force yourself to learn on them. If you really want to go for digital sounds and to program your own synthesizer presets, nothing beats a Yamaha DX7. Fast learning curve and easy-to-program interface.

If budget is a constraint, some of the cheaper-yet-professional synths out there can be found on buchla.com

Just remember, have fun man.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

You need gear, and LOTS of it. :science:

You left out the part about how cassette multitracks are a gamechanger, but pretty much this.
You'll only need about 10k worth of stuff to do primitive sequencing and here's where computers can be helpfull. An Atari ST can be had very cheaply and they are a million times better than anything because modern computers are universally incabable of sending midi (fact). Mixing and such are not important, the cheapest behringer will do, only thing you need is a single stereo file.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

Oh hey your post on the synths subreddit inspired me to get off my butt and try something that wasn't sampled into the computer or an aimless noise noodle with my rack.

http://youtu.be/u0NAVUhnDsE

Got any tips for live sequencing? Doing things live is very stressful.

Nice track! :) If you have Ableton and a MIDI-CV/Expert Sleepers module with a few channels then sequencing should be quite easy with a Launchpad or Push. Just record some sequences into the grid and launch them. For sequencing inside the modular, I like the Turing Machine and uScale combination. The TM gives me random CV sequences which I can lock, loop and evolve easily, and the uScale lets me nudge those notes into my current scale on the fly. Add a MicroBrute with its own CV sequencer with 8 storable patterns (which you can switch between by turning a knob - even quantized) and the iPad plus a CVpal ... and you got a stew going :D Oh, and manual switches are cool too, to mute stuff quickly!

I think if you have three sequencers (or channels/tracks), which don't even have to be complex, you can potentially make some really intricate stuff.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I love you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So I'm trying to learn secrets of robot fart generation on the SQ80 VST linked before in the thread. It's got a somewhat unintutive interface (my envelope release ain't working at all. You'd think one has to do some tweaking of the DCA4, clearly depicted as the final output of the sound, but nope, it's the random rear end unlabeled ENV4 with no particular destination), but it's fun so far.

Working straight off blank INIT, I've noticed all three noise waveforms have a very computer-ish sound, more like the weird noises a 56k dial-up modem does, rather how a proper white noise sounds. Is it how it's supposed to be, or is there a knob to fix it?

This is very important, I cannot die peacefully before I make a convincing helicopter sound.