Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Silent Hill 1 to 4 SSLPs by From Earth never miss a chance to point out just how :downs: the plot and the item puzzles can be. So, it's a non-stop ride in 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mega64 posted:

There's horror games made significantly less scary thanks to The Dark Id, like the Resident Evil games and Clock Tower 3.

You're going to love this poo poo

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Silent Hill Homecoming by Kamoc (in the OP) as well as any of VoidBurger's both take the steam out of Silent Hill's sails :v:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Are there any actually good LPs of Five Nights at Freddy's? I know it falls under teh three month rule here, but I'm wondering if anyone's ever seen a good youtube LP of it? Preferably without scarecam.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

It was recommended a few pages back, but I followed this dude's playthrough. Pretty tightly edited, no freaking out, etc. Definitely the one to watch, I think. That said, he doesn't show off all of the deaths. I wanted to see a death compilation, but they're all in videos with men screaming like little girls :mad:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Cheers! I hate scarecams. I don't think I've ever seen a good scarecam.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Sociopastry posted:

Cheers! I hate scarecams. I don't think I've ever seen a good scarecam.

Come Halloween I'm turning the subforum on its head about this, in the meantime you will just have to trust in my abilities.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Huh, this one does seem cool. Guy knows when to shut up too, which is pretty nice so you can actually hear the game at times too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mega64 posted:

There's horror games made significantly less scary thanks to The Dark Id, like the Resident Evil games and Clock Tower 3.

Pretty much anything The Dark Id does is instant gold, and you can't go wrong with it. You will find at least one phrase per LP ("RIP AND TEAR", "Not featured: A clock tower", etc.) that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

I would also strongly, strongly recommend branching out into his magnum opus, the Drakengard series. I PM'd him once to alert him that Drakengard 3 was coming out, and as I never got a reply, I can only assume he fled the country in advance. :v:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Chokes McGee posted:

I would also strongly, strongly recommend branching out into his magnum opus, the Drakengard series. I PM'd him once to alert him that Drakengard 3 was coming out, and as I never got a reply, I can only assume he fled the country in advance. :v:

He did reply, right here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chokes McGee posted:

Pretty much anything The Dark Id does is instant gold, and you can't go wrong with it. You will find at least one phrase per LP ("RIP AND TEAR", "Not featured: A clock tower", etc.) that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

I believe that the "RIP AND TEAR" was a reference to the Doom Comic. If you've never seen that, you're in for a treat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I dunno. I stand by my OP recommendation of Dirge of Cerberus as TheDarkId at his best. It's a hauntingly beautiful slow descent into madness as he becomes ever-more frustrated and furious with the game as the LP drags on, culminating in a post-script so luscious it rivals Keats, Coleridge, and Wordsworth:

TheDarkId posted:

gently caress this game. gently caress everyone behind the making of this game. gently caress Tetsuya Nomura. gently caress Square-Enix. gently caress Vincent Valentine. gently caress Final Fantasy VII. gently caress J-RPGs. gently caress Japan. gently caress you for enjoying my suffering. And gently caress me for going 'hey, Dirge of Cerberus...there's a good game to LP' nearly 11 months ago.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically, :unsmigghh:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Lance Streetman posted:

And here.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Gonna recommend Control Volume's screenshot LP of Rollercoaster Tycoon. It's informative when it needs to be and really clever/funny the rest of the time. Sadly, it wasn't finished, archived or put into the master list, but what's there is well worth a read.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lance Streetman posted:

Oh my. I'll be keeping an eye out.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
some questions:
There was a recent group LP of a NES metroidvania. It was rather primitive. You switch between playing as various members of a family. What was it again?

What are some informative LPs of adventure games with interesting puzzles (not cat hair mustache item inventory puzzles, interesting logical stuff like myst or certain monkey island puzzles) or unique mechanics (like the Void's deal with processing color or illbleed's trap detection and tagging)

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Rita Repulsa posted:

some questions:
There was a recent group LP of a NES metroidvania. It was rather primitive. You switch between playing as various members of a family. What was it again?

4 Heroes, 2 Grandparents and Pochi - Legacy of the Wizard [VLP]

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I very much enjoy games driven by story. I am looking for an LP focusing on a game's unique and quality writing, preferably presented in a fashion which focuses more on the game, and less on the personality of the LPer. The caveat, of course being someone one who can manage both approaches well.

Some examples of Lp's that I very much enjoyed with these qualities are: KOTOR 2, Planescape: Torment, Journey, Grim Fandango (VLP), Animal Crossing (Chewbot's warped version) and Deadly Premonition. The focus of each was on story and atmosphere of the game not the mechanic's of playing the game.

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 7, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sneaky Fast posted:

I very much enjoy games driven by story. I am looking for an LP focusing on a game's unique and quality writing, preferably presented in a fashion which focuses more on the game, and less on the personality of the LPer. The caveat, of course being someone one who can manage both approaches well.

Some examples of Lp's that I very much enjoyed with these qualities are: KOTOR 2, Planescape: Torment, Grim Fandango (VLP), Animal Crossing (Chewbot's warped version) and Deadly Premonition. The focus of each was on story and atmosphere of the game not the mechanic's of playing the game.

Plenty of story-focused LP's around I think, if you like mysteries and atmosphere then I'd recommend Dragonatrix's LP of 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. Fedule's LP of the sequel is still ongoing I believe.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sneaky Fast posted:

Some examples of Lp's that I very much enjoyed with these qualities are: KOTOR 2, Planescape: Torment, Grim Fandango (VLP), Animal Crossing (Chewbot's warped version) and Deadly Premonition. The focus of each was on story and atmosphere of the game not the mechanic's of playing the game.

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Lt.Danger's Neverwinter Nights 2 LP is pretty drat great. The game's story is generic fantasy but he deconstructs it and analyzes a lot of what makes it tick. And of course, it's just a prelude for its expansion and that's got one amazing plot.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I think everyone should get on board the D&D Next let's play;

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645992&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's very funny and a bit different to the other tabletop RP LPs. The group is a bit smaller and it's far more based on inter party talking and roleplaying than mechanics for progression. The pace is faster and it's still very funny during any 'combat' sections.

It's overseen by Medibot, Wolfshirt plays a buff minotaur, Plaz is a barbarian princess turned into a bunny rabbit, Gharbad is a toddler/ancient golem of friendship, and panzer skank is a monk obsessed with justice who makes constructs get hard and sweaty and she punches them.

They've investigated a factory making possibly evil constructs, fought a dork wizard and just met a yuan ti who feels badly that the cave she's in has been looted already, so is filling stuff up for any adverturers that follow her (Poorweather as half snake lady).

If you liked the other tabletop LPs (DnD and 13th age) this is superb. If you didn't this is different enough that it's still worth checking out. The group interactions are hilarious. You need to listen to a tiny friendship golem try and climb inside a vending machine.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sneaky Fast posted:

I very much enjoy games driven by story. I am looking for an LP focusing on a game's unique and quality writing, preferably presented in a fashion which focuses more on the game, and less on the personality of the LPer.

Ghost Trick

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Sneaky Fast posted:

Some examples of Lp's that I very much enjoyed with these qualities are: KOTOR 2, Planescape: Torment, Journey, Grim Fandango (VLP), Animal Crossing (Chewbot's warped version) and Deadly Premonition. The focus of each was on story and atmosphere of the game not the mechanic's of playing the game.

Both the Persona 3 screenshot LP by Schildkrote and a similarly-styled LP of it's sequel, by Feinne are excellent narrative LPs of games with excellent stories and characters.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Can anyone recommend me some good Minecraft Let's Plays? I watch LPs for soothing background ambiance usually while I do internet things, so Minecraft seems like a good idea. I'd prefer with commentary from someone who isn't completely annoying to listen to.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gushing Granny posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good Minecraft Let's Plays? I watch LPs for soothing background ambiance usually while I do internet things, so Minecraft seems like a good idea. I'd prefer with commentary from someone who isn't completely annoying to listen to.

Dave_O had some pretty chill minecraft videos. I don't think he made too many though, they should be available on his youtube page.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Dave_O had some pretty chill minecraft videos. I don't think he made too many though, they should be available on his youtube page.

I can't seem to find them on his youtube channel. Do you know if they're anywhere else?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gushing Granny posted:

I can't seem to find them on his youtube channel. Do you know if they're anywhere else?

Nah, but he has been more active lately on his twitch page. And I can't think of many more people chiller than him.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I found myself enjoying the Mindcrack group's "Ultra Hardcore" survival Minecraft variant series of videos (or whatever it was called) more than I probably should have. :shobon:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Okay, so I'm a huge babby who can't play horror games, but I'm curious about Five Nights at Freddy's anyway. Anyone have a Youtube LP that isn't terrible so I can see it without flipping out? I god drat hate jump scares, holy poo poo

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

There was one posted earlier in this thread that I enjoyed what I watched. He doesn't really explain how the game mechanics work very much but it's honestly not too hard to decipher for yourself. The main selling points on this LP is there's no scarecam, he doesn't constantly jabber on about nothing or scream, and he edits when he dies.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Gushing Granny posted:

I really enjoyed Unfair's LP although it's pretty brief. It's basically a whistle-stop tour of the cool things a small group did on returning to Minecraft as they worked towards 'beating' it. Unfair's delivery would certainly be in the soothing end of things though.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 9, 2014

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Kaubocks posted:

There was one posted earlier in this thread that I enjoyed what I watched. He doesn't really explain how the game mechanics work very much but it's honestly not too hard to decipher for yourself. The main selling points on this LP is there's no scarecam, he doesn't constantly jabber on about nothing or scream, and he edits when he dies.

Seconding. Although it's an off site LP he handles the game well, he's pretty chill, the videos are edited, there's no scare cam and he does a complete run through of the main portion of the game. The down sides are he's off site, there's no extra content of what can happen that didn't happen in his main play through and he's not willing to play through any extra content.

I don't think I could handle doing an LP of this here, there'll be no scare cam but you'll hear me screaming like a little girl occasionally.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hey folks I'm looking for two things right now:
1. Really, really long LPs that I can just set and forget and leave rolling while I play other games. I asked for this before and got some really great suggestions but now I'm done with them and I need some more. Preferably ones with lots of talking so I don't actually have to watch the screen all the time.
2. Good VLPs of RPGs. They don't have to be SA, and I don't care if they do stupid stuff like read all the on-screen text, I just really want to watch some long RPG VLPs so they can play a bunch of games so I don't have to. Killing two birds with one stone and all that. I finished watching most of what HCBailey posts, since he tends to play stuff I want to see, so anything like that where it's just some person who actually finishes the RPG VLPs they start and isn't absolutely horrible with their commentary.

Thanks.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Getsuya posted:

1. Really, really long LPs that I can just set and forget and leave rolling while I play other games. I asked for this before and got some really great suggestions but now I'm done with them and I need some more. Preferably ones with lots of talking so I don't actually have to watch the screen all the time.
2. Good VLPs of RPGs. They don't have to be SA, and I don't care if they do stupid stuff like read all the on-screen text, I just really want to watch some long RPG VLPs so they can play a bunch of games so I don't have to. Killing two birds with one stone and all that. I finished watching most of what HCBailey posts, since he tends to play stuff I want to see, so anything like that where it's just some person who actually finishes the RPG VLPs they start and isn't absolutely horrible with their commentary.

Thanks.

Bobbin Threadbare has you covered. He's actually a favorite lp'er of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSQ25kWMXM Rogue Galaxy. Almost seventy videos of a PS2 game that I had and for a JRPG it was rather decent. He made it rather watchable and the co-commentary was great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ITwTJXpOc Deus Ex. I got to the original Deus Ex late in life so I don't see it with the same rose tinted glasses as everyone else. However it's still fairly good and he does a lecture on conspiracy theories, political theory, etc. And as someone with a background in politics it's rather well though out.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Thanks.

The Tipping Forties guys play through of Tales of Symphonia is like 100 something updates but they drank whilst playing the game so at times it can be a bit rowdy, also very funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwsXx7dqnxU

Squints playthrough of Demon souls is informative, interesting and played with expertise
http://lparchive.org/Demons-Souls/

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah the T40s stuff is pretty solid if you want something longer which you can play in the background. Between FFX, Symphonia, Shenmue, and Fallout NV, there's a fair amount of downtime between things where they just talk about random stuff. Never saw the MGS4 LP, but I've been told they really didn't enjoy doing it :(

I need to fish it up, but there was some Youtube LP group which played a few longer games which were mentioned a few months back in the old thread, and the commentary seemed okay. To name a few, they did Skyrim and the Mass Effect games. I know I made note of them somewhere... :staredog: I needs me some background noise for working on projects and stuff.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^Any chance you're talking about Spoiler Warning? Their commentary can be hit or miss, but it's definitely great background material.

Sneaky Fast posted:

The Tipping Forties guys play through of Tales of Symphonia is like 100 something updates but they drank whilst playing the game so at times it can be a bit rowdy, also very funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwsXx7dqnxU

Also if you end up liking their Symphonia LP, Kuvo (one of the commentators in the above mentioned Symphonia LP) is currently LP'ing a later game in the series, Tales of Vesperia with some equally funny co-commentators.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
In retrospect I don't think the Symphonia, MGS4 or Fallout NV LPs are that good :shrug:

Sneaky Fast posted:

Squints playthrough of Demon souls is informative, interesting and played with expertise

This is good though

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Sneaky Fast posted:

I like this one too, and I'll also suggest Bobbin Threadbare's take at the Thief Trilogy.

Stonekeep by davidspackage is an older first-person dungeon crawler that is strangely addictive. Long and relaxing but never dull or tedious.

And because Geop would never toot his own horn, his playthroughs of the first two Assassin's Creed games are probably just what you're looking for, Getsuya. Lots of fun talk of the historical sources and inspirations whenever the action winds down.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I just noticed that Geop's Dark Souls Lp isn't on the first page recommendations.

My guess is it didn't get added cause Geop is the mod, but a great Lp deserves to be watched . I am suggesting it be added to the multiple commentator section. Some of the best parts of the LP are the interactions between the uninformed Geop and the devious collusion of Kuvo, Vicas, and Squint. I found the chemistry, pace and on-topic/ off-topic balance of the commentators to be superb throughout.