Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Chicken posted:

Just out of interest, has anybody actually tried doing this? I don't think it's especially well known and while HR in a large company would get it, I'm not sure your average small business (the drivers of our economy and backbone of Canadian culture) would know about it. Also, is it paid or unpaid ($30 could be a lot to a minimum wage employee) and does it apply to municipal and provincial elections as well?

It's paid. Municipal and provincial elections are under provincial jurisdiction, so obviously it varies from province to province. In Québec, it's four hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I was working a lovely job and I asked to leave to vote and the dumb manager laughed, said we were too busy and refused to let me go.

So I would have been one of those part timers who didn't vote had I not secretly voted earlier in the morning and was just looking for a way to skip out on work.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jordan7hm posted:

I wasn't saying that social issues didn't factor into voting. Of course they do. I just don't like when someone throws out the tired cliche of the poor struggling minimum wage earner who just is working too hard to make ends meet and can't find time to vote. The biggest issue with these minimum wage jobs isn't the salary, it's the fact that the employer is trying to keep people part time and thus doesn't give them enough hours. The problem is that they can't earn enough money, not that they don't have any free time. Some people for sure work two jobs, but most people don't. They struggle. As far as voting, they don't vote for the same reason half the country doesn't vote - because they don't think their vote makes a difference, and thus they don't prioritize it.

I agree that underemployment is a bigger issue for minimum wage workers right now than overwork but compensation is also a pretty big deal. People wouldn't need to work as much if the minimum wage (or wages in general) still had the purchasing power it used to have in the 1970s.

Here in Toronto you'd need a minimum of 16 or 17 dollars an hour full time if you intended to raise any kind of family (and even then you'd need your partner to also be working). Unless you propose telling poor people that they should either get better paying jobs that don't exist right now or else that they should cancel their cell phone and internet, live in one bedroom apartments and live off rice and beans for the rest of their lives, then frankly we need some reliable mechanism for topping off working people's incomes. Minimum wage isn't the perfect instrument for that purpose but it's better than either doing nothing or throwing yet more tax cuts, credits and forgiveable loans to businesses.

quote:

Your point about the general economic situation is interesting though. I'm not sure it explains the current level of political apathy - voter turnout took the steepest drop in Canada during a relatively good economic period (late 90s).

The steep drop actually begins in the late 1980s, which roughly coincides with what was then the worst recession since the 1930s.

I would agree, though, that the economy cannot fully explain the drop in voter participation. There are clearly other factors at play here as well. That having been said I think that for a lot of people the general economic malaise facing this generation plays directly into the sense that there's no point in voting.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ARACHTION posted:

I was working a lovely job and I asked to leave to vote and the dumb manager laughed, said we were too busy and refused to let me go.

So I would have been one of those part timers who didn't vote had I not secretly voted earlier in the morning and was just looking for a way to skip out on work.

Technically if you had 3 consecutive hours in the day where you could vote then he didn't do anything wrong. If you didn't have that time though, then you coulda dinged him for up to $5k.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/philippe-couillard-tells-stephen-harper-he-wants-quebec-to-sign-constitution-1.2758043

quote:

Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard took advantage of a public appearance with Prime Minister Stephen Harper Saturday to reiterate his wish for the province to sign the Constitution.

Couillard says he wants to bolster Quebec's place within Canada between now and 2017, when Canada celebrates the 150th anniversary of Confederation.

Leverage on Harper in the lead-up to the election campaign?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I don't really see how that provides any leverage over Harper but it is kinda funny given that I'm sure Harper abhors the constitution and would give almost anything to change or abolish it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm sure it's not the case, but it would be hysterical if spite was what got Quebec to sign the Constitution.

Good that they're formally getting on board though, the Constitution is pretty solid.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Since this thread seems to increasingly be reading the NDP's rightward drift as some kind of reason to vote Liberal, I think stories like this one are worth paying attention to. You would never ever see the Liberal party acting this way toward a leader who has increased their seat count since first taking power:

quote:

Andrea Horwath faces backlash from fellow New Democrats: Cohn

A rebellion is gathering momentum not just in Toronto, where the NDP was routed, but across Northern Ontario and the rest of the province.

Remember Andrea Horwath?

She was the woman who would be premier, poised to lead the NDP to power by leapfrogging past the governing Liberals — ideologically and electorally — in June’s provincial vote.

Now, many in Ontario’s New Democratic Party have forgotten that fantasy. And want to purge any memory of the leader who pedalled that dream, along with her team.

Next weekend, they will be pushing back against the hardball tactics that allowed Horwath and her henchmen — and henchwomen — to amass unprecedented power in the leader’s office. Ahead of a formal leadership review scheduled for November, Horwath will face the NDP’s provincial council this coming Saturday and Sunday to explain her controversial tactics — before, during and after the election.

“Andrea is fighting for her life,” says one long-time party worker who has sat in on the party’s internal machinations in recent months.
“Among a very large section of the activist base there is little more than contempt for her,” said the NDP loyalist, who requested confidentiality to speak candidly about the manoeuvres.

It’s not just Horwath’s public policy contortions in mid-campaign. Her internal distortions of the party’s procedures before the election will also be debated by the party’s decision makers, many of them still furious over what they call an extra-constitutional manoeuvre by Horwath’s team.

By sidelining the grassroots — and their representatives in the party’s elected council structure — Horwath cobbled together a hodgepodge campaign platform that was unrecognizable to most New Democrats in the last election: More centrist than the Liberals, out-Torying the Tories, she lurched rightward without first securing the support of her own party.

The rebellion is gathering momentum not just in Toronto, where the party was routed, but across Northern Ontario and the rest of the province. Horwath also faces unrest across most of the influential union movement after she ignored pleas to support progressive measures in the last Liberal budget, risked an anti-labour Tory majority, and bizarrely dropped her support for an Ontario pension plan.

Next November, delegates will hear Horwath plead her case. Next weekend, however, the party’s top council will first wrangle over how those delegates will be chosen, limiting the potential for Horwath’s allies to rig the vote by stacking the convention.

In anticipation of a leadership review, Horwath’s team rammed through changes at a pre-election council meeting allowing her inner circle to reclaim — and reallocate — any unused delegate slots 45 days before the November convention. The move was widely seen as a naked power grab orchestrated by the leader’s office, contravening party rules that constitutional changes can only be agreed at full conventions.

Party secretary Darlene Lawson, a Horwath loyalist, declined an interview, relying on a prepared email statement to defend the procedures as perfectly normal.

But New Democrats obsess as much about process as politics. By flouting the rules, Horwath has riled grassroots members who were already apoplectic about an opportunistic campaign platform that lacked the party’s imprimatur and descended into pandering.

At the last automatic post-election leadership vote in Hamilton in 2012, Horwath was at the peak of her popularity in public opinion polls yet garnered an unspectacular 76.4 per cent support. (By comparison, then-PC leader Tim Hudak won 78.7 per cent at his own party’s review.)

If Horwath wins less than the traditional benchmark of 66 per cent in November, her leadership would be damaged and she might feel compelled to resign. Hence her bid to control the delegate selection process as much as she can.

It’s hard to predict how Horwath will fare in the review, but the early signs point to a breach with organized labour that could be her undoing. As many as 30 to 40 per cent of the delegates in November could come from labour unions (counting those from riding associations who have personal ties to labour).

It’s no secret that the top leadership of the Canadian Labour Congress has undisguised contempt for Horwath after she refused to support a public pension plan for Ontario (along the lines of an enhanced CPP) which the labour movement holds dear. The CLC’s new leader, Hassan Yussuff, viewed Horwath’s actions as a personal betrayal and is known to have described her as “a coward” who should be dumped.

Most of the Ontario Federation Labour’s member unions are also deeply unhappy with Horwath’s moves, not least her refusal to meet them as a group.
“If the vote were held next week, she wouldn’t hold on,” predicts one party veteran.

Perhaps reports of her political demise are premature, and the embattled NDP leader will redeem herself through contrition, persuasion and purges. But with barely two months to go, Horwath may soon be gone.

This really needs to be emphasized folks. The leader is not the party. The NDP is still a party of activists and unions and if social justice or economic redistribution are values you support then you'd be insane to think the Liberals are a better choice federally. If you end up in a close riding and the Liberals have a better choice of unseating Harper then I'd say vote Liberal, because God knows we need to get rid of the Tories, but please don't fool yourself into thinking that there's no difference between the "not Conservative" options on your ballot. As lovely as the NDP currently is, it's history and demographics make it a different sort of party than the Liberals, Tories or even the Greens.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Jim Prentice is the new premier of Alberta. Total votes cast by PC party members:

Jim Prentice 17,963
Ric McIver 2,742
Thomas Lukaszuk 2,681

meh

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Heavy neutrino posted:

To be honest, I'd lump "Not interested" in with "Did not like candidates/issues," as they're nearly identical when you think about it, and I'd add that there's probably quite a bit of "Not interested/did not like candidates" mixed in with every other response. A massive number of people who don't vote are effectively casting a "None of the above" vote.

That's not true at all, there's a big difference between "not interested" and "did not like the candidates/issues"

There are tons of people who don't even know the candidates names, much less their platforms and stances on any issues. I've met people who didn't know who the Prime Minister was and didn't care at all. They definitely don't fall under "did not like the candidates/issues".

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

atastypie posted:

Jim Prentice is the new premier of Alberta. Total votes cast by PC party members:

Jim Prentice 17,963
Ric McIver 2,742
Thomas Lukaszuk 2,681

meh

Hahaha.. gently caress you McIver.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ChairMaster posted:

That's not true at all, there's a big difference between "not interested" and "did not like the candidates/issues"

There are tons of people who don't even know the candidates names, much less their platforms and stances on any issues. I've met people who didn't know who the Prime Minister was and didn't care at all. They definitely don't fall under "did not like the candidates/issues".

There can be lots of overlap. At some point you can become jaded enough to know that the candidates aren't going to bother offering anything you have any interest in so there is no point in checking. Candidate A wants lower taxes for small business and more free trade agreement? Hmm candidate B wants even more lower taxes for small business and to build a pipeline though some land I don't own and will never see? Wow what a choice!

People would vote if they knew it would make a substantive impact on their actual lives. Most realize that the window of acceptable political platforms is so narrow that it makes no difference.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Whiteycar posted:

Hahaha.. gently caress you McIver.
I'd emptyquote this if I could.

As for Prentice... here comes the new boss, same as the old boss.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

ChairMaster posted:

These people are disengaged from politics not as a fundamental law of the universe; they're disengaged and disinterested because of the circumstances of politics. For a large slice of the population -- especially low income earners -- politics offers very little in the form of representation of their views, their interests and their attitudes. It's just a hunch, but I'd wager that if Canadian politics included choices that meaningfully represent the needs and interest of those disinterested voters (who are, historically, segments of the population who are disenfranchised and left out of governance -- the poor, the young, the socially marginalized), they'd show up to the polls. That's why I said that "Not interested" is a not perfectly conscious way to say "None of the candidates interest me, and the issues that do interest me are settled (and not in my favor)."

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
You could argue that's the whole point of the system. I mean, I'm just hating how politics now isn't about what our government can accomplish, but how it'll please the wealthy so we can have more jobs. I mean, that's saying that the elected body we all chose is less powerful than wealthy people. Rule by the People my rear end.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lonelywurm posted:

I'd emptyquote this if I could.

I've never seen someone with as much money and as little charisma as Ric McIver.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vermain posted:

I've never seen someone with as much money and as little charisma as Ric McIver.

Yeah, when he knocked on my parents' door, they told him, "I prefer you to any of the other guys, but cut it out with all the loving religious bullshit" (a direct quote because my parents are awesome) and he started stumbling all over himself like a retard and defending the fact that he marched alongside a guy that claimed the 2013 floods were God's wrath because we don't hate homosexuals enough. And this is in front of people who already support him for the most part...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Good luck to Prentice not getting steamrolled next election.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

Ardent Communist posted:

You could argue that's the whole point of the system. I mean, I'm just hating how politics now isn't about what our government can accomplish, but how it'll please the wealthy so we can have more jobs. I mean, that's saying that the elected body we all chose is less powerful than wealthy people. Rule by the People my rear end.

http://communist-party.ca/

It's real and you're allowed to vote for it. I will. Enough of this bullshit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Throwdini posted:

http://communist-party.ca/

It's real and you're allowed to vote for it. I will. Enough of this bullshit.

It would stop being real if they had any chance of getting into power.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

From the Communist Manifesto:

The Communist Manifesto posted:

In what relation do the Communists stand to the proletarians as a whole?

The Communists do not form a separate party opposed to the other working-class parties.

They have no interests separate and apart from those of the proletariat as a whole.

They do not set up any sectarian principles of their own, by which to shape and mould the proletarian movement.

The Communists are distinguished from the other working-class parties by this only: 1. In the national struggles of the proletarians of the different countries, they point out and bring to the front the common interests of the entire proletariat, independently of all nationality. 2. In the various stages of development which the struggle of the working class against the bourgeoisie has to pass through, they always and everywhere represent the interests of the movement as a whole.

The Communists, therefore, are on the one hand, practically, the most advanced and resolute section of the working-class parties of every country, that section which pushes forward all others; on the other hand, theoretically, they have over the great mass of the proletariat the advantage of clearly understanding the line of march, the conditions, and the ultimate general results of the proletarian movement.

The immediate aim of the Communists is the same as that of all other proletarian parties: formation of the proletariat into a class, overthrow of the bourgeois supremacy, conquest of political power by the proletariat.

The theoretical conclusions of the Communists are in no way based on ideas or principles that have been invented, or discovered, by this or that would-be universal reformer.

They merely express, in general terms, actual relations springing from an existing class struggle, from a historical movement going on under our very eyes. The abolition of existing property relations is not at all a distinctive feature of communism.

As lovely as it currently is, Canada already has a labour party with a mass base of support. If you actually care about political power rather than just wanting to feel the satisfaction of knowing you're on the ideologically correct side then you really should be working within the NDP.

You know what Lenin's advice was to the communists in England? That they should join the Labour Party.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

Rutibex posted:

It would stop being real if they had any chance of getting into power.

Bullshit. We get to vote for whoever we want to in Canada.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

Helsing posted:

From the Communist Manifesto:

As lovely as it currently is, Canada already has a labour party with a mass base of support. If you actually care about political power rather than just wanting to feel the satisfaction of knowing you're on the ideologically correct side then you really should be working within the NDP.

You know what Lenin's advice was to the communists in England? That they should join the Labour Party.

I'll vote for the party platform that best represents how the government ought to be run in my view and that's the end of it. I'm not betting on a sports team to win. I don't give a poo poo about Lenin's advice from a hundred years ago. The loving Labour Party? That's exactly what I don't want, and exactly what the NDP looks like.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ok, but then you're basically treating your vote in the same way that other people treat jeans or cell phones or jewellery. It's an item of personal consumption that you use to express yourself or to signal your personal tastes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Throwdini posted:

The loving Labour Party? That's exactly what I don't want, and exactly what the NDP looks like.

The counterargument is that the current Labour Party is as it is precisely because the more radical elements of the left disavowed themselves of the Party and splintered off, thus leaving it to the career politicians and centrists. I'm reminded of Jane Jacobs' argument about crime in public parks in cities: the less traffic there is in the park from well-meaning, concerned citizens, the easier it is for crime to move in and take over.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

Helsing posted:

Ok, but then you're basically treating your vote in the same way that other people treat jeans or cell phones or jewellery. It's an item of personal consumption that you use to express yourself or to signal your personal tastes.

Nope. Just voting for the policies I agree with. You're wrong.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Here are my thoughts: the NDP does not have the level of radical, transformative politics that I would like, and has tended to veer close to the center. I would, however, vastly, vastly prefer that the NDP maintain a strong level of power in national politics than for it to be sidelined by either the Liberals or the Conservatives, both of whom are much further to the right. The disastrous national policies of the Conservatives (and, possibly, the Liberals; we'll see how Trudeau shakes up once he's PM) must be fought tooth-and-nail, and the NDP provides the best strategic platform for doing so.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Also, they've been doing the heavy lifting for years while the Liberals have been a pile of poo poo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Like, I think every second or third post I make on these forums is some starry-eyed bullshit about the Communist Idea, but you absolutely cannot ignore overall strategy when it comes to the transformation of society.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/most-university-undergrads-now-taught-by-poorly-paid-part-timers-1.2756024

quote:

According to figures provided by the Laurier Faculty Association, 52 per cent of Laurier students were taught by CAS in 2012, up from 38 per cent in 2008. But of all the money the university spends during the year, less than four cents out of every dollar goes towards CAS salaries. So the university spends less than 4 per cent of its budget to teach more than 50 per cent of its students.

Not surprisingly, those numbers don’t impress contract faculty and the full-timers that support them. “I don’t think that the people who teach over 55 per cent of the bums in seats should be beggared,” Kimberley Ellis Hale asserts. “I think that’s wrong.”

Herbert Pimlott, an associate professor of communications studies at Laurier, believes the focus of university administrators today is on how many students can be educated with the cheapest labour cost per student.

“The problem with that,” he argues, “is that you want the best faculty teaching your students in the classroom, and if you’re paying the least, you worry that you get what you pay for.” "Most students don't know and don't care about the contractual status of the person at the front of the class, but there is actually a lot at stake here for students and their parents."

There’s no evidence to suggest that full time faculty are better teachers than sessionals, but they do have one big advantage. They can spend more time interacting with their students simply because they spend a lot more time on campus.

In contrast, there’s a limit to how much time even the most dedicated sessionals can spend with their students, especially if they’re teaching at two or three schools at the same time. Part-timers often share their office with several other people, and usually only get access to it on the day they teach. They mostly communicate with their students via e-mail. They live in the shadows of campus life.

Several studies have shown that the more formal and informal face time students can get with their professors, the better off they are academically and the better they’ll be at coping with the demands of university life.

The lovely state of our post-secondary education system.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's definitely one of the darker sides of the university system that rarely gets talked about publicly, especially at the universities themselves. I had no clue what "sessional instructor" meant until I neared the end of my degree.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Throwdini posted:

Bullshit. We get to vote for whoever we want to in Canada.

So did Chile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Chilean_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Throwdini posted:

Nope. Just voting for the policies I agree with. You're wrong.

Yeah exactly, you're prioritizing your self expression as an individual over any kind of strategic or practical consideration, i.e. you're reducing your vote to an act of personal consumption. You're doing with politics what other people do with organic food or tight jeans.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Helsing posted:

strategic or practical consideration

What does this even mean?

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
It doesn't mean anything. He's making up weird bullshit to try to ostracize leftists who don't vote NDP.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PT6A posted:

and he started stumbling all over himself like a retard

Yeah you sure sound like you're way more intelligent and understanding than him.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

ThirdPartyView posted:

What does this even mean?

It means trying to see beyond which party caters the most to your own personal tastes and biases and voting for what would truly be best for the country even if it means swallowing your pride on a few pet issues.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Harry Joe posted:

It means trying to see beyond which party caters the most to your own personal tastes and biases and voting for what would truly be best for the country even if it means swallowing your pride on a few pet issues.

Define 'truly be best for the country' - what's stopping the personal tastes and biases from being that (since it's a subjective idea so there's no real objective measure to go by, hence it being a worthless concept to begin with)?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Joe posted:

But my personal tastes and bias are what would be best for the country :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah you sure sound like you're way more intelligent and understanding than him.

Okay, substitute moron, idiot, imbecile, or whatever. Most of our words for stupid people come from terms formerly used to refer to the mentally handicapped, and since the euphemism treadmill has already moved on from "the r-word" I don't see why it should be treated any differently.

In conclusion: blow me.

• Locked thread