Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The online modes in Watch Dogs are silly and fun, and I thought worth the 20 bucks for a few weekends of stupid poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I know customer service is the very definition of "your mileage may vary", but I've had great luck with Sony in the past.

I bought the digital copy of GTA V on my ps3 and the drat thing ran like hot garbage. Sony gave me a full refund, and even let me keep the rockstar games i bought on sale with it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah but like I think you can return games just because they suck. Surprised anyone would even think that or make a purchase thinking it's a possibility

Not since like 1997 at least

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I wouldn't say I bought it thinking that, it's more I was so disappointed with it it felt worth the effort to try.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
I got lucky in that my brother bought Watch Dogs and when he was finished I asked to borrow it before he traded it in for Madden. Absolutely hated it. Hated the characters other than the asian guy from the start of the game. Hated the bland story. Hated the controls. Hated everything. I can see where others could have a lot of fun with it but not a single thing clicked for me after about 4 hours.

That being said, I'm sure Watch Dogs 2 will be a super solid game. When people compare WD to the first Assassin's Creed it is beyond spot-on.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Well it's worth a shot I guess you usually get one return and that's it (from what I've read online)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can't wait to hear how this goes, personally. The game sucks and buying it at this point after all of the reviews and complaints is a laughably bad buying decision that's compounded by having a 1 game budget and choosing this one.

I hope you get your way though as it's a precedent that could help everyone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dewgy posted:

I wouldn't say I bought it thinking that, it's more I was so disappointed with it it felt worth the effort to try.

That's going to be an uphill battle. You can't really return digital games because you thought they sucked. Unless things have changed, they either can't or wont revoke the license so they would be basically giving it to you for free if they refunded you. They are pretty explicit about that stuff. I got MS to refund me once but I had to show them that the listing in the store was objectively hosed up to get them to do it. I've never tried with Sony.

It's really not that bad of a game though. I hate AC and still thought that there was fun to be had in Watch Dogs even if it isn't mind blowing.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

I don't know if this should be here or in the PSN thread - but;
I've recently just purchased a PS4 so I need to create a new account due to never owning a PS3. As I'm a cheap skate I don't particularly want to pay the "Australia Tax" on everything ($99 RRP for Diablo 3 - get hosed), I know I can create a US account and pre-load it with $$$ from Amazon so that isn't an issue. The local forums I have read all seem to suggest having the two accounts (US Primary, AUS Secondary) for some reason though. As I've never really had an AUS account is there any reason to not just create a US one and exclusively use that, or does it gently caress up multiplayer server selection (i.e. US account = US servers)?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dewgy posted:

^^ The little stupid loving yellow things that come out of nowhere when you're in hide mode I guess? I get that you can leave the circle but every chase I've gotten into so far ends with three of those things "randomly" converging on me so I get to spend more time with the chore of driving away from more squad cars. Fuckin' wheeeee. Happy to hear someone think I'm crazy though, maybe the opening just sucks on toast.

It actually did seem like something I'd like, I had it preordered before it was delayed along with my PS4. Tempered my expectations a bit but the only thing I hadn't done is get my hands on it, and two hours of playtime has put me off it pretty much completely. I heard it wasn't exactly a $60 quality game but I didn't expect to feel like I wasted money on it on sale. My bad for not lowering my expectations enough I guess, but if my expectations were lower I wouldn't have bought the thing.

They usually move along a fixed path when they appear. Also the jam comms gadget will halt them so if you're stuck between a few you can get away.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I didn't find anything too offensive with Watch_Dogs, honestly. I felt like I got my moneys worth and I was entertained. Although I was disappointed with the bait and switch on the graphics (But I saw it coming ahead of launch so I really can't complain too harshly) and I wasn't surprised by it being still restrained by Ubisofts open world design. I still had fun, hopefully they do better, but never cried for a refund for a game I knowingly purchased.

Know here's hoping for the ability to get refunds more easily or at least trade in digital games you are done with for credit towards other digital purchases.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mootallica posted:

I don't know if this should be here or in the PSN thread - but;
I've recently just purchased a PS4 so I need to create a new account due to never owning a PS3. As I'm a cheap skate I don't particularly want to pay the "Australia Tax" on everything ($99 RRP for Diablo 3 - get hosed), I know I can create a US account and pre-load it with $$$ from Amazon so that isn't an issue. The local forums I have read all seem to suggest having the two accounts (US Primary, AUS Secondary) for some reason though. As I've never really had an AUS account is there any reason to not just create a US one and exclusively use that, or does it gently caress up multiplayer server selection (i.e. US account = US servers)?

Any codes packed in with physical games will require you have an australian account to redeem them.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Dewgy posted:

I think it's more of a failing of said policy and its affect on overall customer service though. I mean, I really do feel like I completely hosed up tonight, because I can afford one game, and it seems like it's gonna be loving dreck. It'd be super cool to not just get a "well you paid for it screw you" response. Not even like I'd want cash back, I just want to buy something that isn't this.

You can't do this with physical copies in real life, nor should you be able to do it with digital media. Read more about games before your purchase them or rent them first. In no way is any policy failing here.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Megasabin posted:

You can't do this with physical copies in real life, nor should you be able to do it with digital media. Read more about games before your purchase them or rent them first. In no way is any policy failing here.

Origin has a wonderful return policy. Even after surpassing their time limit I still got a game refunded for the right "not-I-hate-this-game" reason.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Christoff posted:

Yeah but like I think you can return games just because they suck. Surprised anyone would even think that or make a purchase thinking it's a possibility

Not since like 1997 at least

You basically can in a physical store in Australia, but, y'know.

Ularg posted:

Origin has a wonderful return policy. Even after surpassing their time limit I still got a game refunded for the right "not-I-hate-this-game" reason.

Yeah, I haven't had a whole lot of experience with Origin as a platform, but the customer support through it/around it has always been exemplary.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Although it'd be wonderful to be able to return digital copies just like physical ones, for the time being I'm resigned to treating them as unrefundable unless stated otherwise, it seems like that's the idea for now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Szurumbur posted:

Although it'd be wonderful to be able to return digital copies just like physical ones, for the time being I'm resigned to treating them as unrefundable unless stated otherwise, it seems like that's the idea for now.

Please explain how you can have this kind of environment without it being abused. Returns within 48 hours? People would buy a game on Friday, spend all weekend playing it and return it on Sunday.

We just need full game trials to come back but that's not likely.

Also, statistically, demos lose more sales than they gain,so it's in the publisher's interest to just hype you up for the game with careful marketing so you buy a brand new copy as close to day one as possible.

Sorry. Only buy digital if you know you seriously want that game.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

i know it's an iffy subject but i think the return of digital games should be allowed purely because of how many broken games get released these days, and there should be a system like that in place both so that customers are protected and publishers/developers have an incentive to release a product that actually works. maybe base refunds on time played rather than a set amount of time after purchase? i think allowing people to return a game after say, 4 or 5 hours of playtime would be good. maybe you bought battlefield 4 and it took you a week to download or something, but after trying to play the thing for an hour you realize its broken garbage and get a full refund? seems fair

who knows? maybe we'd see a significant increase in the amount of games that work properly at launch

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
It's a great idea but not likely to happen any time soon

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Revol posted:

With Destiny coming Tuesday, I want to get a headset for voice chat. I'm looking for something cheap, and something mono (or can be used as mono) for voice chat only. I have iPhone 5 headphones, which has the noise problem. But the other issue is that the microphone is on the right hand side, yet the voice chat only comes through on the left channel. If I get a pair of stereo headphone plugs, I'll cut one cord and use just the one ear bud. But that wouldn't be an option here.

I've seen the Vita headphones recommended. Is the mic on the same side that the voice chat audio comes in on? Or is there another option that has both mic and voice on the one side?

This post/question got lost in the PC/PS4 heat so I figured I'd respond with my lame answer. I'm sure others have better solutions...

My PS4 came with a little headset that worked pretty well. Well enough for me to return the Sony PS4 chat headset I bought when I bought my PS4, at least. I eventually ended up getting the Gold headset which does surround-sound, chat and is wireless (and relatively cheap). Not to mention the fact that the Gold headset is made for the PS4 so it has a companion app and no compatibility issues. I'd recommend that one if you are looking for a headset and headphone combo. Otherwise I'd just use the little one that comes with the PS4.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Ineffiable posted:

Also, statistically, demos lose more sales than they gain,so it's in the publisher's interest to just hype you up for the game with careful marketing so you buy a brand new copy as close to day one as possible.

I've heard this before and it's the dumbest poo poo. Yeah, trying out a hyped game lowers hype and sales? Someone forgot to tell Destiny that. Last time I tried to find an origin on that quote it was Dead Rising.

Maybe you should have games with more than an hours worth of gameplay so a demo does not, in fact, provide 90 percent of the experience, instead of blaming a demo. It's like admitting "advertising this poo poo game will make people know it's poo poo before they buy it and lower sales!" It's common sense. The entire free IAP industry is basically built on the concept of playing something before choosing to spend money on it (and the whales that will never stop)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OxMan posted:

I've heard this before and it's the dumbest poo poo. Yeah, trying out a hyped game lowers hype and sales? Someone forgot to tell Destiny that.

Destiny already had a massive hype machine behind it that would have given it tremendous sales no matter what. There are people who played the demo and decided to buy the game (including myself) but there are plenty of people who played it and went "I'm bored" and decided not to buy it.

OxMan posted:

The entire free IAP industry is basically built on the concept of playing something before choosing to spend money on it (and the whales that will never stop)

The free IAP industry is based on the idea of a few customers playing something and then deciding to spend money on it. This is a really important thing to not forget. It is based on the idea of releasing an incredibly cheap, easily mass-distributed product which will target a small group of whale customers who will provide the bulk of sales.

Yes, there are people who will play a demo and decide to buy the game. A good demo can sell games to people. Bravely Default is probably a good recent example of a game that benefited a lot from a good demo. However a bad demo or a misdesigned demo can hurt a game (even a good game's) sales and (depending on the game) lower its value. As such, companies would rather just not bother with the demo and not take the risk for what amounts to relatively little gain.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 7, 2014

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Organs posted:

i know it's an iffy subject but i think the return of digital games should be allowed purely because of how many broken games get released these days, and there should be a system like that in place both so that customers are protected and publishers/developers have an incentive to release a product that actually works. maybe base refunds on time played rather than a set amount of time after purchase? i think allowing people to return a game after say, 4 or 5 hours of playtime would be good. maybe you bought battlefield 4 and it took you a week to download or something, but after trying to play the thing for an hour you realize its broken garbage and get a full refund? seems fair

who knows? maybe we'd see a significant increase in the amount of games that work properly at launch

You realize that if this were to happen games would just get delayed indefinitely right? "An incentive to release non broken games" fucks with marketing and supply chains and a million other things. Not as many games release broken as you seem to think, anyway. There's what, your battlefield example and...? A slow mlb release that people did get refunds on?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

ImpAtom posted:

Destiny already had a massive hype machine behind it that would have given it tremendous sales no matter what. There are people who played the demo and decided to buy the game (including myself) but there are plenty of people who played it and went "I'm bored" and decided not to buy it.

The free IAP industry is based on the idea of a few customers playing something and then deciding to spend money on it. This is a really important thing to not forget. It is based on the idea of releasing an incredibly cheap, easily mass-distributed product which will target a small group of whale customers who will provide the bulk of sales.

Man, I love how no one remembers how when Destiny was first announced we all made fun of it mercilessly. Announcing a game with nothing more than concept art, for being derivative of Bungie's other games, for being called Destiny, and it wasn't until the alpha, a playable demonstration of an early part of an unfinished game, that public opinion changed. If you have a good game and let people play it, they'll want to buy it. There's no bs execuspeak that can say otherwise. Chances are if your game is poo poo, so is your demo.

And yeah I shouldn't have said IAP "industry" as far too much of it doesn't apply, except for console f2ps. Even with those, whales aside, the second largest component of IAPs is getting a player to spend at least once. I know in the Ace Combat Infinity (ps3 I know) thread a lot of us hadn't spent much, but we all spent a lil something.

I just think it's obvious that by having a good game that people will want to play, advertising it by letting people play it (especially multiplayer games) will get more people to buy it. I know you said plenty of people knew about it, played it, and were uninterested, but in the real world people don't read videogame news. All of my irl friends getting Destiny heard about the game after the beta hype.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OxMan posted:

Man, I love how no one remembers how when Destiny was first announced we all made fun of it mercilessly.

On this particular message board maybe but you're absolutely loving kidding yourself if you think "the new big IP from Bungie" was not met with tremendous hype. It was one of the biggest IPs being pushed, got the central spot at multiple E3 shows and had huge preorder numbers long before the Alpha hit.

Destiny had (according to Activision) record-setting preorder numbers for a new IP in May, before the Alpha even launched.

OxMan posted:

Chances are if your game is poo poo, so is your demo.

This isn't even remotely true though. There are a ton of great demos for lovely games, lovely demos for great games, and straight-up misleading demos which give an inaccurate feeling for how the game plays. (Brutal Legend, for example.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 7, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

"But you don't understand maaaaaaan. 3 people might play a demo and realize the game isn't for them! That's lost sales! Nerds are gonna buy it anyway, all demos do is tell them not to!" - a moron

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It looked like a visually pretty Bungie sci-fi project until the Alpha blew minds with how good the gameplay felt. Except for in the few people who wanted a borderlands clone and playing difficult lengthy communication-essential brain-required player-locking raids with randomly matchmade people.

(COD4: Modern Warfare and BioShock had demos that did not make me want to get them though.)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 7, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fateo McMurray posted:

"But you don't understand maaaaaaan. 3 people might play a demo and realize the game isn't for them! That's lost sales! Nerds are gonna buy it anyway, all demos do is tell them not to!" - a moron

I mean, if you're looking at the straight statistics, there's apparently a pretty big gap in sales between games that release demos and ones that don't. Granted, that doesn't take into account all sorts of external factors like marketing and budget and all that, but if you're the beancounter and you see those numbers, they're a pretty big factor. Making a demo is a ton of work for something that doesn't have much of a positive effect on sales, and from a sheer numbers standpoint, looks like it can actively hurt them, so from a publisher's point of view, it just plain looks like a bad idea.

Not exactly a slam dunk, but this video summarizes, and those statistics are available at eedar.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QM6LoaqEnY

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

20 seconds. That's how long I could stand that guys voice.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've just straight-up been using a by-mail rental service to "trial" games as well as to play through games I know I'll get through quickly and don't care about owning, and it's improved things for me tremendously. I strongly recommend at least trying them out if they're available where you live (most of the U.S. and Eastern Canada; Western Canada can also subscribe but you'll have a much higher turnaround time, but might have Redbox in your area so look them up too).

Hell, Gamefly's been running ads on Hulu whose tagline is "never get burned by a bad game."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I gave Gamefly a shot multiple times but their turnaround times have never been anything short of absolutely atrocious and even gaming the system it took a while to get newer titles.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

MrLonghair posted:

It looked like a visually pretty Bungie sci-fi project until the Alpha blew minds with how good the gameplay felt. Except for in the few people who wanted a borderlands clone and playing difficult lengthy communication-essential brain-required player-locking raids with randomly matchmade people.

(COD4: Modern Warfare and BioShock had demos that did not make me want to get them though.)

I remember the Modern Warfare 1 beta test on the Xbox 360, overgrown was one of the maps. The unique gameplay (for its time) was awesome. I thought it was completely different to everything I've played before. The big dogs of the day were Halo 3 and Counterstrike on Steam, and this thing turned everything on its head, for better or worse.

Activision knew what they were doing, I think they let people play demos/betas when they're absolutely sure they're onto the next big thing. It worked for Call of Duty and it looks like it's working for Destiny. Betas are a major marketing asset.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I gave Gamefly a shot multiple times but their turnaround times have never been anything short of absolutely atrocious and even gaming the system it took a while to get newer titles.

Gamefly unfortunately seems to be really hit or miss depending on which distribution center you're closest to, and bumping up the quality of the lower-end distribution centers really needs to be their main priority.

I'm also not sure why Canada only has two such services and both are based out of Montreal, there really should be one based out of Vancouver at the very least. Being local to a main distribution center is awesome, though. It definitely requires gaming the system a little but as long as I reserved it a week or two early I pretty much always got a game at the latest the Friday following its release so I could play it on its first weekend of availability, and with MLB 14 I got it on release day.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Activision knew what they were doing, I think they let people play demos/betas when they're absolutely sure they're onto the next big thing. It worked for Call of Duty and it looks like it's working for Destiny. Betas are a major marketing asset.

They definitely can be but require an extraordinary amount of effort. That Destiny Beta was a massive project that probably cost an astronomical sum of money just to set up. On the opposite end of the spectrum, EA Access on Xbox One might be backfiring on EA somewhat, as people being able to get NHL 15 early with a relatively small payment has revealed a huge number of features cut from the game compared to last year and prompted a huge wave of cancellations since it was early enough that they wouldn't have shipped in most cases (and the demo they offered a week or so ago may have had a similar effect).

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 7, 2014

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I like digital purchases and I have no problems viewing them as unrefundable. But I look at something like Assassins Creed 4 sitting in my library, knowing I'm never gonna want to play that again after finishing it and it bums me out. It's why I wish there was some precedent for resale of digital purchases. I know that then enters into a much larger discussion of the nature of digital licenses and business models. But if I could just say "hey I'm done with this one, just give me like 1-2 dollars into my PSN account which I'll then put back into your service" I'd be pretty happy with that.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Aha, that's when they entered the "COD = Xbox" advertising deal in the UK. I meant the singleplayer one in my case, it was COD1's demo but ever so slightly enhanced and modernized on a fresher engine, nothing that interested me. Ended up with a full retail copy and grew to love playing Arcade mode NG+ on hardest difficulties. Even today it stands out as the most replayable enjoyable FPS thanks do that mode. It needs to be stolen, ripped off, if they can put a direct scoreboard with multipliers and more numbers popping up on screen in Destiny that will enhance the experience for the better (as an option or NG+)

Demos can be done right but what a pain in the rear end they turn out to be in getting made. Press demo builds are no biggie but those are alpha, sometimes beta, unstable and not representing the final product. We'd love a distribution of the Bloodborn demo or even the one from 1886 that has stayed the same since February this year but 99% of the players would take that as an indication of the final productand be assholes about it.

Just like Dinklage's voice as Ghost in the Destiny alpha.

Digital purchases in cases like BF4 or Basement Crawl (?) get refunded.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
The only potential problem with demos is that sometimes the build changes significantly between the demo version and release, so you'll get something like the new DMC or Metal Gear Rising, which had really lovely demos with crappy mechanics and controls, but that stuff specifically got tightened up and improved in the release version. Other than that, demos are pretty much always a good thing, cause it can very well build up hype for a game, like with Destiny or the ME3 multiplayer demo, and it helps consumers get an idea of what they're going to be doing. It's just important that the demo represents the final product, or at least includes a specific warning if some things are different.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

All demos should be timed trials of the full game

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I remember Tomb Raider 3's demo on the PS1. It was incredibly buggy, nowhere near finished and I think even impossible to finish the level (the first Area 51 level). The final version looked way different. It's the one demo I remember that was the most different to release. I'm surprised Core back in the day allowed it because it gave a pretty concerning impression on young me.

quote:

All demos should be timed trials of the full game

This is a good idea. Resident Evil 2 did this with a ten minute timer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with that is then you're just showing people the very start of the game, which unless it does an abilitease means you're mostly just going to see the most basic gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Fateo McMurray posted:

"Yeah I'm a fat internet nerd who plays video games so I know more about the actual economics of the situation than the people who are in the industry and did the research :smug:" - a moron

• Locked thread