Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
For fucks sake Dell, is it that hard to write Compellent management software that runs on the latest version of the JRE? Every single time you've gotta upgrade this poo poo, they make you install the 4th-most-recent JRE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Oh hey the OptiPlex 3020 Micro and 9020 Micro's have launched, this will be the NUC-with-support that I've been wanting for a while."

No SSD option on the 3020, 128GB maximum on the 9020 :smith:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

If HalloKitty bails out, I wouldn't mind replacing mine with yours. I've actively been considering buying a used one to replace mine since the battery in mine isn't holding a charge anywhere near as well as it used to and I'm kinda skittish about replacing the battery myself.

Droid 4 battery replacement is pretty easy, only tool you need is a tiny little torx bit, can't remember if it's T3 or T5.

1. Take the back cover off, if necessary peel the big sticker off that covers the battery.
  2. Bottom right corner of the battery, look for the little plastic cover about 10x3mm in size and pop it off.
  3. This will reveal a tiny little orange ribbon cable secured by two screws, unscrew them. Failure to unscrew this tiny little ribbon cable that is completely hidden before removing the battery will cause the cable to be torn from the battery rendering it useless and possibly unsafe. Ask me how I found this out.
  4. Carefully lever the battery out
  5. Realise that the battery is glued in with more superglue than the average college dorm prank
  6. Hulk smash the battery out
  7. Retrieve battery from the other side of the room
  8. Repair dent in the wall with some polyfila
  9. When you fit the replacement battery kit, note that they helpfully provide an adhesive sheet with a little tab, do not actually remove the tab as having a sticky out tab will make the next replacement a lot easier
  10. Get pissed off every time you swap SIMs as the tab is in the way

Seriously though, it's not actually that bad a job providing you read the advice from someone else who has already made all the mistakes. In fairness I was trying to remove the battery in a hurry having just spilt a pint of water on my phone. (It still works!)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lum posted:

Droid 4 battery replacement is pretty easy, only tool you need is a tiny little torx bit, can't remember if it's T3 or T5.

If you're going to be ordering replacement parts, just grab this set along with it: http://amzn.com/B001KBEO1O
It's six bucks and has T3, T4, T5, T6, T7, T8, T10 and some tweezers.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mierdaan posted:

For fucks sake Dell, is it that hard to write Compellent management software that runs on the latest version of the JRE? Every single time you've gotta upgrade this poo poo, they make you install the 4th-most-recent JRE.

Lucky bastard. I supporting a piece of SaaS software that requires 1.6.0_21.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Jesus christ our only cloud server has fallen over, all three of the guys who know the details of how to get it back up (its not hosted by us, i have no idea who hosts it) aren't here and we don't have a backup server.

I just, I assumed we had a backup server. What the gently caress.

E: Sorted it out. Apparently this happened yesterday due to a scheduled thing that nobody bothered to modify in any way so it happened again today.

poo poo that's pissing me off? People not doing basic checks.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 8, 2014

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sirotan posted:

The finale of that Employee Appreciation Week was a huge surprise from all the VPs...which turned out to be an e-card, sent from Blue Mountain.

Do you LITERALLY work for the same company as Dilbert? (The comics character not the angry forums poster)

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
New server-side email signatures are a go, GPO to disable Outlook's signatures deployed.

How long before all the special snowflakes start crying that they NEED their customised pink 'Sue' that they added to the corporate signature using script.ttf?

(Despite warning them that they won't now because it's added server-side, I'm still also expecting lots of ":supaburn: halp I can't see my signature when I'm composing my message, how will I cope!")

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 8, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I hope none of your users legitimately need alternate signatures. Maybe I'm a special snowflake, but I use a bare bones simple signature that meets our corporate requirements for most emails, and a slightly more detailed one with things like my fax number for a few types of emails.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

iSeries guy decided to demo some anti-virus software for our i the other week...I wanted to tell him to not loving bother with it but he thought it would be a cool idea.

So of course some change he made last week to get it running got reverted and no web pages are being served up on it, ugh. Fixed it. Then the two week trial runs out, and of course it catches nothing (all we do is upload CSV's) and they want like $5,000 a year for it so I told the lady we're not buying it. So now he's taking it off. What a waste of time.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I loving hate working in IT. I am sick of certifications and acronyms and constant meetings and office libertarians and micromanaging CTOs. I need a new career.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have an independent auditor in here this week doing some work. She's in our office because we have an empty desk.

SHE'S STREAMING loving OPERA MUSIC AND USING HER LAPTOPS SPEAKERS

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Ynglaur posted:

I hope none of your users legitimately need alternate signatures. Maybe I'm a special snowflake, but I use a bare bones simple signature that meets our corporate requirements for most emails, and a slightly more detailed one with things like my fax number for a few types of emails.

Some of them do, and they're welcome to state their case. The software allows for a keyword to trigger a different sig, or remove it altogether, if they have a legitimate reason.

It's more the "but what about mah special pink and yellow flourish that I use to add a personal touch? :(" crowd that I'm talking about here. Sorry to break the illusion but you're a corporate drone like the rest of us!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

GargleBlaster posted:

Some of them do, and they're welcome to state their case. The software allows for a keyword to trigger a different sig, or remove it altogether, if they have a legitimate reason.

It's more the "but what about mah special pink and yellow flourish that I use to add a personal touch? :(" crowd that I'm talking about here. Sorry to break the illusion but you're a corporate drone like the rest of us!

Comic Sans, all the way.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Chalets the Baka posted:

I loving hate working in IT. I am sick of certifications and acronyms and constant meetings and office libertarians and micromanaging CTOs. I need a new career.

I'm not quite there yet, the only other careers I would consider are things I enjoy outside of work, and then I don't want to start to hate those things to if they become my job!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My new boss turns out to be a jerk who decided that smacking me down in front of one of the regional VPs was a great way to get things started on this, his second day in the office. We still haven't actually met to discuss his becoming my boss but I can guess what that meeting is going to be like.

I also received an email from a recruiter this weekend so maybe things will balance out in the end.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

My new boss turns out to be a jerk who decided that smacking me down in front of one of the regional VPs was a great way to get things started on this, his second day in the office. We still haven't actually met to discuss his becoming my boss but I can guess what that meeting is going to be like.

I also received an email from a recruiter this weekend so maybe things will balance out in the end.

DT, I feel for you man, but it seems to me that maybe it's time to start snapping back at people. There's backing down for the sake of survival and getting on, but it appears at this point that everyone is just gunning for you because they perceive you as an easy mark. Check your employee handbook regarding the disciplinary process, but I'm pretty sure they can't fire you for standing up for yourself. You're going to be going out the door regardless, so instead of letting people treat you like a doormat go on the attack.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

DT, I feel for you man, but it seems to me that maybe it's time to start snapping back at people. There's backing down for the sake of survival and getting on, but it appears at this point that everyone is just gunning for you because they perceive you as an easy mark. Check your employee handbook regarding the disciplinary process, but I'm pretty sure they can't fire you for standing up for yourself. You're going to be going out the door regardless, so instead of letting people treat you like a doormat go on the attack.

Honestly I'm worn out. Whether I fight back or not won't change anything here other than get me out the door more quickly. The employee handbook is irrelevant when the people that wrote it and signed off on it don't follow it. In my experience policies and procedures don't apply to the people at the top or their cronies.

I look forward to a day when I can feel moderately valued at my job. I've spent too long being reminded how replaceable I am.

EDIT:

So my new boss is walking by and I say "Do you think there will be time today for us to meet? You know, with the switchover in who I report to..."

He looks at me a moment and says "I didn't know you required this much supervision."

So I channeled the spirit of Daylen Drazzi and said "I don't require any supervision at all, but it would be good for us to discuss my current projects and task list, as well as future plans since you will be doing my annual evaluation. Unless you can do that without knowing anything about what I do."

He made this face :catstare: and said he'd let me know.

So... I put my mug and lunchbag in my backpack in case I need to make a quick exit today.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 8, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Friday I thought I lost 8 out of 28 disks in one of our storage arrays at a customers site. Why 8? I'm assuming those are the disks that were being written to when "someone" (99% sure it was the customers IT Manager) unplugged the JBOD while moving unrelated equipment. Why "someone" did not bother to trace the power cords or even let us know it happened, is beyond me. Thankfully I was able to clear the errors and restore the pool. This is not something anyone wants to learn of at 3:30PM on a Friday. As I repaired the damage, I got to listen to the CIO tear apart the IT Manager. His office was only a few feet away from our temporary workstation and even through the closed door I could make out what was going on. Something about branches down, lost revenue, things not getting taken care of, why haven't you hired help, ect. The CIO oblivious that his IT Manager just nearly cost 5 employees a months worth of work. I almost felt bad for the guy, him being so over his head and stressed, then I remembered why I was there. It worked out in the end though, the data was recovered and I got to enjoy their keg. I'm chalking this one up to everyone making a mistake now and then- if it happens again though, all hell is breaking loose. (Before anyone says backups, these were meant to be temporary storage and a new system is ordered). I forgot to mention, this is the company who is driving our merger.

On a side note, someone left this on our community board "Thanks HR for being worthless, Signed Everyone" over the weekend. They do not plan on hiring another HR person, at least until there's word on the merger.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 8, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Honestly I'm worn out. Whether I fight back or not won't change anything here other than get me out the door more quickly. The employee handbook is irrelevant when the people that wrote it and signed off on it don't follow it. In my experience policies and procedures don't apply to the people at the top or their cronies.

I look forward to a day when I can feel moderately valued at my job. I've spent too long being reminded how replaceable I am.

I think I posted this before, but I feel you on the irrelevant handbook. When a C level assaults an employee and isn't even reprimanded- despite the handbook saying "Any employee who assaults another will be immediately terminated, anything goes. Well, unless they want to use it against you, then it's fair game. This is why our HR manager just quit. Ugggg. I can't wait to move on.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

GargleBlaster posted:

New server-side email signatures are a go, GPO to disable Outlook's signatures deployed.

How long before all the special snowflakes start crying that they NEED their customised pink 'Sue' that they added to the corporate signature using script.ttf?

(Despite warning them that they won't now because it's added server-side, I'm still also expecting lots of ":supaburn: halp I can't see my signature when I'm composing my message, how will I cope!")

Are you guys using the Exchange disclaimer for that? I've been thinking about doing something similar with our users.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Chalets the Baka posted:

I haven't enjoyed work for awhile, but I've been helping with minor IT stuff at a friends church and helping with the AV stuff and that's been a lot fun. Anyone who says computers are hard should take a look at a modern digital mixer. Makes me wish I could make a career out of something like that, but volunteer work doesn't pay many bills.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not sure if there is anything that pisses me off more at work than the 'I'm not getting what I want fast enough, so I'm going to CC your boss' email.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Hello Skipdogg's boss,

In response to a request made I received this response:

skipdogg posted:

I'm not sure if there is anything that pisses me off more at work than the 'I'm not getting what I want fast enough, so I'm going to CC your boss' email.

Please discuss the attached request with Skippdogg so we can complete this task ASAP.
I appreciate your partnership.

Thanks

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

skipdogg posted:

So much this. This poo poo is engrained in the culture here. In a way, I can see why as the previous I.T. folks here were loving AWFUL, but this current team, we've made massive improvements and these asswipes still do this. In our case, they're not just CC'ing our boss, they're CC'ing C-levels as well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

the spyder posted:

When a C level assaults an employee and isn't even reprimanded

If someone assaulted me at work they would regret it regardless of what the employee handbook says

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Greg Jackson posted:

If someone assaulted me at work they would regret it regardless of what the employee handbook says

The downside is this was outside of work, and if the employee had not been removed from the restaurant by security (same for the C-Level and Manager who were there), I am sure it would have gotten much, much worse. Regardless- it's a hosed up situation.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A few people here are notorious for CCing the boss, and he told them to cut it out. There's a proper sequence and contact point for getting stuff done, and CCing whoever the gently caress just causes an administrative burden and doesn't speed things up / make it a higher priority.

Then again, I have one of those mythical good bosses.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TWBalls posted:

So much this. This poo poo is engrained in the culture here. In a way, I can see why as the previous I.T. folks here were loving AWFUL, but this current team, we've made massive improvements and these asswipes still do this. In our case, they're not just CC'ing our boss, they're CC'ing C-levels as well.

It actually snowballed. One guy CC'd my boss and VP, and then his boss went ahead and CC'd C level execs. I'm very fortunate though my bosses have my back, so fallout will be nonexistant. In fact their response was "Why are you even helping them with that in the first place?"

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Thanks Ants posted:

"Oh hey the OptiPlex 3020 Micro and 9020 Micro's have launched, this will be the NUC-with-support that I've been wanting for a while."

No SSD option on the 3020, 128GB maximum on the 9020 :smith:

I have spent 8+ months arguing with our Dell rep to get self-encrypting solid state drives in sizes over 240GB on our Premier site. And don't think you're fooling anyone by calling it a "Dell Mobility SSD" and then charging 2.5x what I could order the same model for on Newegg.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Greg Jackson posted:

I'd still walk away unless I was cornered with no way to de-escalate or escape the situation. Not worth causing (potentially) serious damage to someone over a workplace dispute.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

He made this face :catstare: and said he'd let me know.

You aren't getting fired. And that expression wasn't one of annoyance or disgust - it was one of surprise and (perhaps) some respect. It's sad to say, but it sounds like your company is no more advanced than high school, and the political games are exactly the same, as is the bullying. I'm not suggesting you go out and stuff some C-level into a locker, but frankly you need to stop standing back and letting these jackasses putting you down. I would start off with bluntly telling them "You're wrong, and here's why..."

Like I said, it sounds like you're going to be out the door anyways, so why make your remaining time any easier for them? And how knows - you might just force them to realize it and back the hell off.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

sfwarlock posted:

Recruiting. I'm trying to hire just another low-level set of hands, and I get this one candidate...

First, she applied for every single job posted on the site, from a marketing intern all the way up to VP/HR.

Second, she's spent the last three years working at a golf course on the grounds crew.

Third, this is the entirety of her cover letter:
job application.

I rejected her. I get the following email back.
u not hire me because i'm woman.

And this right here?

This is why so many companies won't send out rejection emails/letters.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

beepsandboops posted:

Are you guys using the Exchange disclaimer for that? I've been thinking about doing something similar with our users.

The built in Exchange thing was looking a bit too basic - we went with Codetwo Exchange Rules
The interface seems to do odd things, but once it's set up, it works.

skipdogg posted:

There are a few at our place who go beyond that, they don't even bother with my boss, they CC my grandboss (the managing director) instead.. and I've got to hand it to them, as he really kicks up a fuss when he wants something doing.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

the spyder posted:

The downside is this was outside of work, and if the employee had not been removed from the restaurant by security (same for the C-Level and Manager who were there), I am sure it would have gotten much, much worse. Regardless- it's a hosed up situation.

Aren't you in the Portland area? We're hiring, depending on what you are looking for.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Didn't see Dick's edit until Daylen quoted it. Good on you, Dick, I hope it pays dividends and not hassle.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

dogstile posted:

only cloud server

How do these three words make sense in this order?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kensei posted:

Aren't you in the Portland area? We're hiring, depending on what you are looking for.

Send me a email marc.heynderickx @gmail.com

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

skipdogg posted:

A lot of people here do that anyway (not waiting for the "not fast enough" part). It's kinda random whether it will 1) do nothing, 2) result in "hey myron cope, can you take care of this right away!?" or 3) get them yelled at for including them in something they don't need to be included in.

My two levels up boss is good at 3. My direct boss is good at 2.

Although my favorite is, instead of "can you do this", it's "why isn't this done yet?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

skipdogg posted:

Boss will respond directly to something she's cc'd on when I'm not getting what I need. Best. Boss.