Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I guess so. It will at least work until we start eating friendly missiles from ADA misidentifications in whatever theater we go to next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
It's the PPCLI's 100th anniversary this weekend, and there's a huge amount of people on base. I went yesterday to check it out and it was actually pretty cool. Cf18 flyby's, the skydiving team and a bunch of exhibits of different kit and vehicles.

The only problem is that the MP's decided to funnel traffic to one spot on base and close off some roads, which turned it into a huge nightmare to go anywhere. They are doing traffic control at all the intersections and it just seems completely unnecessary to me.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
The one loving time that the MPs decide they want to work...

There's as close to zero awareness out on the coast here that there ever was a presence by a regular force Infantry battalion, and unfortunately I can't get the time off to come back to Edmonton for the celebrations. Have a bunch of drinks at the Better 'Ole for me.

Also, CBC put up a pretty decent history piece on the Regiment, complete with videos and interviews - including Hub Grey, who gave a speech to us a few years during Ric-a-dam-doo in Shilo. Turns out, the Korean war had some pretty horrific moments. His description of fending off the human wave assaults by the Chinese with his machine gun platoon (5-ton trucks with quad machine guns on each - meant primarily for AA) was :stare:

http://www.cbc.ca/edmonton/interactive/princess-pats/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/iraq-conflict-canada-to-fly-weapons-to-kurdish-forces-battling-isis-1.2737723

Looks like we're shipping some boom over to the Kurds to help them with the ISIS problem. Too bad we have to send it to them for them to use instead of directly delivering boom to ISIS courtesy of 425.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Kazinsal posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/iraq-conflict-canada-to-fly-weapons-to-kurdish-forces-battling-isis-1.2737723

Looks like we're shipping some boom over to the Kurds to help them with the ISIS problem. Too bad we have to send it to them for them to use instead of directly delivering boom to ISIS courtesy of 425.

Are you nuts

A) Our CF-18s will only operate in secured airspace and as much as I dislike Harper, he's smart enough to know that the consequences of having one of our Hornets shot down by a MANPADS and the pilot publicly tortured and beheaded would mean the end of his government.

B) Why are we contributing anything to EITHER side? This isn't our fight, it's never been our fight, we shouldn't be sticking our noses in it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

B) Why are we contributing anything to EITHER side? This isn't our fight, it's never been our fight, we shouldn't be sticking our noses in it.

Ya I really don't get why we're doing this. Until these sandfrican-Americans(I just really felt like using that term) hit us at home, who gives a gently caress what they do to each other. We need to be a little more isolationist.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

You could say this about everything since the Boer War.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Didn't we also just fly "non-kinetic" support to The Ukraine?

I wonder what would have happened with a Tory government in '02-'03..

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Didn't we also just fly "non-kinetic" support to The Ukraine?

I wonder what would have happened with a Tory government in '02-'03..

We would have gone to Iraq and the Canadian Forces would have essentially been destroyed as a functional military force, as well as a huge amount of reservists being asked to join in.

As to my previous point of "Why are we supporting anyone", there is literally no support that we could offer that would make any change to the situation. Any "support" we could provide would end up being inconsequential. There are only potential disadvantages to doing this, and no real advantages.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Finally got a PFT loading message I can't weasel out of. Put up or shut up time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Does anyone have any spare N/S Tags lying around

I need to staplegun some to my legs. gently caress you Leg Day.

Also I find it very funny that I'm much more motivated to stay fit now that I don't have people yelling at me anymore.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
The new building for 443 Sqn is loving insane. The unit must be going bigtime, there's like quadruple the hangar space and all sorts of crazy maintenance and other infrastructure. Big change from a few helos in tiny 70 year old buildings.

So, if you want to know where the CF budget went, I found it. Not complaining though.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Now if only they could get helicopters that weren't 50+ years old to adorn those hangars

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 16, 2017

CumshotCommando
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe it's changed since the last time I went to the CFNBCS, but isn't Borden still a remote dump? lovely kitchens, poor quarters and enough PATs to effectively run a drug trafficking and prostitution ring...

I'll take Edmonton. At least my prostitutes aren't my future Cpls.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

CumshotCommando posted:

I'll take Edmonton. At least my prostitutes aren't my future Cpls.

Women in the military, military in the women, what's the difference?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Women in the military, military in the women, what's the difference?

One gets paid for the pleasure.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hell, I'm from Barrie and I still wouldn't want to be posted to Borden!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

There was a guy who loved getting Class B's with Whiskey Battery in Borden, kept going back.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-peacekeeping-exercise-to-include-13-canadian-soldiers-1.2755247

WRAP IT UP PUTINAILURES.

Have we reached peak Air Farce yet?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Vadoc posted:

There was a guy who loved getting Class B's with Whiskey Battery in Borden, kept going back.

that everything-flavoured wings joint just outside the base is the best reason to go to Anguish

the second-best reason is because that's how you get the hell out of Borden forever

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WATCH HARPER START A loving WAR

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Are you nuts

A) Our CF-18s will only operate in secured airspace and as much as I dislike Harper, he's smart enough to know that the consequences of having one of our Hornets shot down by a MANPADS and the pilot publicly tortured and beheaded would mean the end of his government.

The Kurds seem to be the only group in the region worth supporting, and this way Harper can at least be seen to do something. And as much as I dislike Stevie H I dont think this is such a bad move.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

WATCH HARPER START A loving WAR

But not increase military budgets, because that'd be silly

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Canuck-Errant posted:

But not increase military budgets, because that'd be silly

Latest theory is that he explicitly directed the CF to cut fat drastically from HQs a few years ago, was explicitly ignored (how many HQs have shrunk? How many have grown?) and we are therefore being punished. We have probably the most top-heavy military in at least the West, could even be in the running worldwide, but by it's nature it is self-perpetuating and will never, ever shrink itself.

I'm sort of inclined to buy the theory, too.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

At one point I think Ottawa had three high level HQs that all did the same job and occupied 3 separate locations outside of NDHQ.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

The Kurds seem to be the only group in the region worth supporting, and this way Harper can at least be seen to do something. And as much as I dislike Stevie H I dont think this is such a bad move.

Yeah but it's all token. Steve-O can beat his chest about Russian expansionism or the threat of ISIS but what gets contributed? 11 peacekeepers? 1 plane load of supplies? Sure he can say "we provided aid" or "we supplied troops" when in actuality nothing of any significant value was done. Action in name only.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Real talk for a sec I was hoping the Dano-Canadian War would materialize over Hans Island but this Ukraine business sounds like a European conflict I can get behind compared to syria

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
The fact that Captains and lieutenants have 10 separate pay levels should answer any question about the CF being too top-heavy.

I'd prefer Syria to Ukraine. Ukrainians and Russians know how to aim. Your average Haji does not.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You'd rather fight the ones who'd use IEDs, don't wear a uniform so they look no different than anyone else as soon as they toss away their weapon or blow you up at a checkpoint with their car or wearing a bomb, or just sending some dumb kid with a grenade as well as having been hardened by fighting already for over a year vs Russian poorly paid conscripts wearing a uniform who will at least likely follow most of the rules of war? Not to mention Ukrainian allies who know how to shoot vs the 'allies' in the Middle East who more than likely to shoot you in the back because they're actually IS/Taliban/whatever?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Barrakketh posted:

I'd prefer Syria to Ukraine. Ukrainians and Russians know how to aim. Your average Haji does not.
I'd rather fight a real army wearing real uniforms with real allies. You're average Russian conscript is going to be just as scared as you are and would definitely not blow themselves up in order to kill a few infidels. Ivan just wants to go home and drink wodka and gently caress his turnip faced girlfriend.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Vadoc posted:

You'd rather fight the ones who'd use IEDs, don't wear a uniform so they look no different than anyone else as soon as they toss away their weapon or blow you up at a checkpoint with their car or wearing a bomb, or just sending some dumb kid with a grenade as well as having been hardened by fighting already for over a year vs Russian poorly paid conscripts wearing a uniform who will at least likely follow most of the rules of war? Not to mention Ukrainian allies who know how to shoot vs the 'allies' in the Middle East who more than likely to shoot you in the back because they're actually IS/Taliban/whatever?

I'd take that over tanks, IFVs, and aircraft. You make it sound pretty lovely but at the end of the day if it was a conventional war we would've had a hell of a lot more losses. I'd definitely be dead today if the guys we were fighting in Afghanistan knew how to aim.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MA-Horus posted:

Are you nuts

It becomes our fight when the IS "Caliphate" becomes Taliban Afghanistan 2.0 and starts exporting Terrorism like Canada exports politeness.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

DrakeriderCa posted:

It becomes our fight when the IS "Caliphate" becomes Taliban Afghanistan 2.0 and starts exporting Terrorism like Canada exports politeness.

Quite frankly, I'm waiting to see what the Americans are going to do. They've been talking big, "persue to the gates of hell", etc. I know some guys in GiP are getting hard-ons for replays of Rolling Thunder, and just flattening the fuckers with box formations of BUFFs. Because like it or not, any action we could or could not take is directly reliant on what they do.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MA-Horus posted:

Quite frankly, I'm waiting to see what the Americans are going to do. They've been talking big, "persue to the gates of hell", etc. I know some guys in GiP are getting hard-ons for replays of Rolling Thunder, and just flattening the fuckers with box formations of BUFFs. Because like it or not, any action we could or could not take is directly reliant on what they do.

I just want to make sure the delicate lady folk of Winnipeg aren't wearing burqas this time next year

Whether we drill skulls with 5.56 or dump trailer loads of JDAMs I'm good with whatever

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 16, 2017

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DrakeriderCa posted:

I just want to make sure the delicate lady folk of Winnipeg aren't wearing burqas this time next year

do they even make wool burqas

what if they were Canada Goose down-filled burqas with fur trim

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

But not real fur trim. That's cruel.

e: uhhhh I thought this was canpoli. Sorry, servicemembers!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Canuck-Errant posted:

do they even make wool burqas

what if they were Canada Goose down-filled burqas with fur trim

You will only be issued one, ever, and it will arrive approximately three months after winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

stevobob posted:

How's Winnipeg as a posting?

I did some courses on that base and I'd say it would be awesome if it wasn't in loving Winnipeg