Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Ironsolid posted:

Holy crap, they made you keep a 29.5" Halbut? MORE LIKE HALIBOOOOO!

gently caress that, I would have thrown a loving fit and probably thrown the mate overboard that told me I had to keep a 29.5" fish. I'm the customer, and I don't want to keep this piece of gently caress

I think the best part was having to let this Hawaiin couple try to catch fish on our rods whenever we got bites because they hadn't caught one yet. Strange, apparently it's really hard to catch fish while you are sleeping in the cabin for 75% of the trip. Not because of sea-sickness, but because they were tired. This dude caught the last halibut of the trip and once they got it on deck he turned to me and asked, "What kind of fish is that?"

gently caress you dude, I hope you somehow read this post and simultaneously get punched in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

DoctaFun posted:

I think the best part was having to let this Hawaiin couple try to catch fish on our rods whenever we got bites because they hadn't caught one yet. Strange, apparently it's really hard to catch fish while you are sleeping in the cabin for 75% of the trip. Not because of sea-sickness, but because they were tired. This dude caught the last halibut of the trip and once they got it on deck he turned to me and asked, "What kind of fish is that?"

gently caress you dude, I hope you somehow read this post and simultaneously get punched in the face.

He would have went over too. "Assholes overboard!"

ITS THE KIND YOU loving EAT!

So, in order to better contribute to the thread on the side of being angry at Alaskan charters, I'm (hopefully) yakking tomorrow. Going to go (unfortunately) pick up some frozen shad, thaw out a few suckers, catch some bluegill and go set 12 jugs and troll around the channels for big rear end flatheads blues and channels. Hopefully, we add to OP's fish list with a big ol' blue and a big mean flatty. And yeah, flatties are big and VICIOUS!

Tonight, I'll be installing more rod holders that are more better for trolling than the ones I currently have installed.

My brother doesn't know it yet, but he's getting me two of these extender arms for my birthday! (Gift card)

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 5, 2014

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
^^^ what's up just got back from a week in Alaska fishing buddy?

Unfortunately I wasn't anywhere near the coast or I would have loved to go catch some salmons/halibut. Around the interior/Fairbanks region there's a few decent rivers but everyone advised me that the salmon caught out of there would be too beat up to be worth eating, so I fished for trout and pike in the myriad wonderfully clear lakes (this is a big deal to me, I'm from Indiana).

Here's a pic of a 30.5" northern I caught on my first day

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Nice pike!

Quick question for you guys, anyone know a good knot to tie my canoe down to the front of my car? I have two little rings on the front of my Outback's frame, so I ran a rope through both of them, and then up to the front of my canoe. There's enough room for each side of the rope to go through the tie-down loop on the front of the canoe(although I could tie it to the handle if needed.

It's just a little tough to keep the rope tight enough to tie a decent knot and have it STAY tight by the time I'm done tieing it.

Edit: nevermind, trucker's hitch appears to be the way to go, what a cool knot!

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 7, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Crested Butte/Gunnison. I ordered a cheap telescoping rod to go with the reel I brought up here. My gig is over in a few day and I hope to stay here and fish for a bit. Met a few awesome bros who keep offering to take me out.

There is this beautiful little stream right behind where I am working and I have seen a few trout chilling in it. Sadly I think it is private property or I would be out there every day at lunch.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bunnielab posted:

Crested Butte/Gunnison. I ordered a cheap telescoping rod to go with the reel I brought up here. My gig is over in a few day and I hope to stay here and fish for a bit. Met a few awesome bros who keep offering to take me out.

There is this beautiful little stream right behind where I am working and I have seen a few trout chilling in it. Sadly I think it is private property or I would be out there every day at lunch.

The Gunnison River is just filthy with browns. See if you can get up in the gorge or just below it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Based on a lifetime of putting canoes on all sorts of cars trying all sorts of rigs with all sorts of tie downs, I eventually settled on some cam straps just to not have to screw around with knots and worry about the rope and or knot slipping.
Plus, with most racks, you can cinch it down enough by wrapping the straps around the midsection of the canoe at the rack crossbars and not have ropes over your hood and trunk/hatch limiting your access.

Definitely has zero cool or fun factor, but is the most bombproof and easiest way to do it, I think.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I had promised Yak pics a few weeks ago, and I FINALLY remembered to take good pics of my yak setup!

Installed the left Rod Holder, and I can still keep my paddle on the side with it mounted and in place!

Right rod holder installed!

The yak launching at the reservoir!

Hank with 4 of our smaller cats for the night, minus a big ol' flat head and 2 channels

Biggest Wild Caught freshwater fish to date (did the pay lake thing once, hunting for them is more fun). 37.5" 17.5 lb Flathead!

27.5" Channel cat and a 29" flathead (8 lb)

Boys, I think we did good!

E: OP, I have a new picture in here for your species list in the OP, Flathead baby!

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 7, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've been thinking of buying/setting up a fishing kayak.

Question on yours and for anyone else: what do you do with your paddle when your hands are occupied? I'd like to find some sort of quick bracket I can use to just shove it on and keep it secure. Leaving it sitting across the kayak is a recipe for losing it (at least for me).

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

I've been thinking of buying/setting up a fishing kayak.

Question on yours and for anyone else: what do you do with your paddle when your hands are occupied? I'd like to find some sort of quick bracket I can use to just shove it on and keep it secure. Leaving it sitting across the kayak is a recipe for losing it (at least for me).

Good news, they float! I sit mine in between my belly and my waist. Though, if I'm drifting, check out the first picture and notice my paddle is sitting on the side. i have a place to attach the paddle and not have to worry about :)

E: further note, don't tether it to the yak so you don't lose it while you're rowing. It's a recipe for disaster.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

stealie72 posted:

Based on a lifetime of putting canoes on all sorts of cars trying all sorts of rigs with all sorts of tie downs, I eventually settled on some cam straps just to not have to screw around with knots and worry about the rope and or knot slipping.
Plus, with most racks, you can cinch it down enough by wrapping the straps around the midsection of the canoe at the rack crossbars and not have ropes over your hood and trunk/hatch limiting your access.

Definitely has zero cool or fun factor, but is the most bombproof and easiest way to do it, I think.

River straps.

Infinite cool and fun factor, plus all kinds of ":smug: yeah, I'm a river guy/gal" cred.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ironsolid posted:

Good news, they float!

Yes, away from me.

That's not terribly convenient. I'm sure I can find some sort of rubber friction lock appropriate for the shaft size and toss two of them on there. Was just hoping that there was something obvious I was missing.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Infinite cool and fun factor, plus all kinds of ":smug: yeah, I'm a river guy/gal" cred.

Meh....I'm a certified swiftwater rescue swimmer. Half of the NRS catalog has been issued to me by my department already.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Gunnison River is just filthy with browns. See if you can get up in the gorge or just below it.

I think I have like 75% sold my boss on extending my room and car for a few days.

All I have is a little spinning reel and a cheap 6' tele-rod, what tackle and lures should I get?

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

bunnielab posted:

I think I have like 75% sold my boss on extending my room and car for a few days.

All I have is a little spinning reel and a cheap 6' tele-rod, what tackle and lures should I get?

You could try a small chartreuse rooster tail, Blue Fox Vibrax are amazing.

Then again, I don't fish for trout, I'm a cat guy.

Full moon tonight, caught it on one rod, reeled it in on the other. Yeah, he tangled my lines.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Motronic posted:

Yes, away from me.

That's not terribly convenient. I'm sure I can find some sort of rubber friction lock appropriate for the shaft size and toss two of them on there. Was just hoping that there was something obvious I was missing.

Meh....I'm a certified swiftwater rescue swimmer. Half of the NRS catalog has been issued to me by my department already.

That was in response to stealie72's reponse to DoctaFun's question about mounting a boat to a roof rack, not your paddle issue. Hence me quoting his post. But :thumbsup: on being so cool.

bunnielab posted:

I did well with a rainbow trout colored Rooster Tail till it got all the paint chewed off a year ago. What really slayed 'em was a Panther Martin with a gold blade and black bead with green spots. Get a few colors of Panther Martins. And the suggestion about a Vibrax is a good one as well. A colleague of mine just got back from a work trip up the gorge and said they're still hungry, plus some Rainbows have been biting. They're usually harder to catch. He was fly-fishing, though, so not much help to you.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 8, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Went back to Daingerfield this evening, had better luck and made a friend: there was a semipro bass-tournament angler and his wife fishing for fun on the same pier, so we got advice and amazed them when InediblePenguin put a bunch of lead on a Beetlespin and caught a catfish:

And then a crappie on a little jig:

The pro caught a good-sized (InediblePenguin estimates it as 18", I was too busy sorting out a backlash on the red Ambassadeur to look) chain pickerel. Before that he lost two fish -- probably the same pike -- one breaking his line, the other straightening out his crappie hook, at which point he switched to something bigger. He ended up completing a cycle (catch four fish species) before his wife.

As night settled in and we were leaving, his wife caught a tiny bluegill to use as bait for monster pike (that lake has chain pickerel and walleyes, so no proper pike but two "pike")

I didn't catch anything, I was too busy untangling my reel after I hosed up, or dropping my camera in the lake.

The latter was intentional, I just got a waterproof housing for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxHnI7D2NPM

Next time I need to add a proper weight (I tied all the lead sinkers we had and a rock to the tripod mount), a light (to allow for smaller aperture/more depth of field) and tape a stick with a piece of corn on the end to the lens barrel (to draw them in). And possibly a hook, and just cast the whole thing, camera and all, with my Ugly Stik.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 8, 2014

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

I love getting catfish when I'm casting for other fish. Last time I was running a jig and I caught a cat, pretty much immediately my rods got swapped to catfish and just stopped caring about other fish.

It's a terrible (wonderful!) addiction.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
^^^^^
Last time I was fishing for bream with my ultralight and a 1/32 rooster tail, a 3lb blue cat hit it. Talk about fun, try fishing for 6-8 oz fish on 2lb test ultralight and ending up catching a 3lb catfish!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My wife and I took out our canoe for a couple hours last night to a little lake I used to fish growing up. There are a lot of panfish in the lake, but they are mostly stunted, however, I've seen good sized bass and northern in there.

We paddled to the far side of the lake to get out of the wind and almost immediately I hook into a small largemouth, probably in the 1 lb range. I get it next to the canoe and as I'm about to lift it into the boat a HUGE northern just glides over and chomps down on the bass. It was crazy. It wasn't a big aggressive attack, it was seriously just gliding about 6 inches underneath the water, and then it was like, "Hmmm, that's a fish, I will eat it, but I won't expend any more energy than absolutely necessary."

So it grabs onto this bass and then continues to swim away, eventually it feels some resistance and just starts peeling out line. I get it within 5 feet of the canoe a few times and it just continues to make runs, all the while not actually connected to my hook in any way, shape or form.

After about 4 or 5 extended runs it gets next to the canoe and just lets go before we could net it.

I've seen/caught a lot of northern in my life, and I think this northern was easily 36", with a realistic chance of being 40" long.

It's not often you see northern that big on a small metro lake near St. Paul, what a rush!

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

My wife and I took out our canoe for a couple hours last night to a little lake I used to fish growing up. There are a lot of panfish in the lake, but they are mostly stunted, however, I've seen good sized bass and northern in there.

We paddled to the far side of the lake to get out of the wind and almost immediately I hook into a small largemouth, probably in the 1 lb range. I get it next to the canoe and as I'm about to lift it into the boat a HUGE northern just glides over and chomps down on the bass. It was crazy. It wasn't a big aggressive attack, it was seriously just gliding about 6 inches underneath the water, and then it was like, "Hmmm, that's a fish, I will eat it, but I won't expend any more energy than absolutely necessary."

So it grabs onto this bass and then continues to swim away, eventually it feels some resistance and just starts peeling out line. I get it within 5 feet of the canoe a few times and it just continues to make runs, all the while not actually connected to my hook in any way, shape or form.

After about 4 or 5 extended runs it gets next to the canoe and just lets go before we could net it.

I've seen/caught a lot of northern in my life, and I think this northern was easily 36", with a realistic chance of being 40" long.

It's not often you see northern that big on a small metro lake near St. Paul, what a rush!

Must have been early evening, the only northerns I usually see late are sitting near bottom in sleep mode. We have accidentally speared them thinking they were bow fin.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Here's a video of us catching fish at the River.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwnhV_UE7KA

This weekend we also won a cat tourney, first place and big fish!

Described by mark as "I look like one of Jerry's kids" and "man, I look incredibly gay..."

E: Wednesday rolled around, and in effort to not make more posts one after another, edit is inline.

Heading to Michigan after work tonight and fishing for the weekend. Lake Michigan pier fishing for a few tomorrow while my niece is at gold practice, and then we're boating all week.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 17, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Apparently I'm collecting these loving things now. Mom's cleaning out her late parents' house, and asked me if I wanted this:

It'll be my second red Abu 5000, my third Ambassadeur, and I may as well count Mom's 5000C in the collection, because I'll get it eventually (like, grab it when I go to pick up grandpa's).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm going camping next week near the Stanislaus river, a pretty fast-moving mountain river. I've never fished moving water before. Can someone give basic recommendations for fly fishing a California mountain stream in September? I'm going to spend the next week reading up on how to fly fish in a river in general.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
From top, my grandfather's, my father's, and my own Ambassadeurs:

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm going camping next week near the Stanislaus river, a pretty fast-moving mountain river. I've never fished moving water before. Can someone give basic recommendations for fly fishing a California mountain stream in September? I'm going to spend the next week reading up on how to fly fish in a river in general.

I've never fished that river, and there's obviously a ton more to it, but basically, look for breaks in the current. Especially in fast moving water. Pools, behind boulders, eddies, current breaks..all are attractive to trout. Fast, mountain streams offer the advantage that fish don't have much time to react when they see something coming, so they tend to be much less picky about imitations and presentation. Get something visible and fluffy so it floats well in the rougher water, like a royal wulff or a stimulator, and make sure to have floatant because the fly will get waterlogged quickly, especially after a fish or two. Wade carefully, those mountain streams can have really uneven bottoms and shifting rocks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
gently caress florocarbon. I have been trying to tie myself some snells (mostly adding beads and a flicker blade to some wormhooks and pre-tying some of those Slow Death hooks on to a 12" leader with a swivel) and trying to tie knots in floro is driving me nuts. I have only so far used brain on my reels and it is so close in feel to rope that I am really struggling to with the floro.

I have been getting out in my yak more often and my personal best bass has gone from this guy:

To this guy:

Caught him on a small Gulp crawler on a random flicker snell I bought at a gas station. About an hour later I hooked up on something big enough to pull my boat around and ultimately bend the hook and get away. This cannot stand so I am now in the snell making business I guess.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bunnielab posted:

gently caress florocarbon. I have been trying to tie myself some snells (mostly adding beads and a flicker blade to some wormhooks and pre-tying some of those Slow Death hooks on to a 12" leader with a swivel) and trying to tie knots in floro is driving me nuts. I have only so far used brain on my reels and it is so close in feel to rope that I am really struggling to with the floro.

I have been getting out in my yak more often and my personal best bass has gone from this guy:

To this guy:

Caught him on a small Gulp crawler on a random flicker snell I bought at a gas station. About an hour later I hooked up on something big enough to pull my boat around and ultimately bend the hook and get away. This cannot stand so I am now in the snell making business I guess.

The progression from your first post to this one makes me happy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The progression from your first post to this one makes me happy.

Hah, yeah, I have gone a little nuts with this stuff.

I am looking to buy another rod+reel or two before it gets too cold out. Currently I have the following gear:

1) 5'6" Medium rod that is only rated for like a 1oz weight. It has a Okuma 30b reel on it spooled with some strong-rear end braind. This was my first rig and now I only really use it when I am in the yak, usually with a texas rig on it or a worm harness of some sort, depending on where I am.

2) 6'6" 2-part UL rod with a tiny Okuma 10b reel spooled with 6lb braid. I use this rig most of the time as I can break it down and hike with it and it is generally more fun to catch stuff with. When I am yaking it tends to be set up with a spinner or jig and is the rod I usually keep handy to toss at interesting looking stuff.

What I am looking to pick up are the following:

3) A long-ish (7-8') 2-part spinning rod to use for pier fishing. I want something longer to make leaning it more stable and something heavier so I can chuck more weight out there. I would like to get a baitfeeding reel as I am getting into using fish-finder rigs rather than wire high/low rigs. I do want something strong enough to haul poo poo up off the bottom with, I find retrieving old rear end tackle from the bottom pretty rewarding.

4) A small Baitcasting set up. No real pressing reason, I just want one to play with. I am thinking something light with a shortish rod, just long enough that I can work it around the front of a 12' yak. Just looking for a good beginner set up with enough fanciness that I will not be birdsnesting it all the time.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DoctaFun posted:

Halibut fishing in Seward through Puffin charters later in the week was a joke, my wife and I each caught halibut right away, but you can only keep one over 29" and one under 29", which wasn't communicated to us before I caught mine(which meant I was basically done fishing after catching a fish like 40 minutes into the trip), then my wife caught a small halibut that they gaffed immediately without asking if we wanted to keep it because, "It looked under 29", but measured 29.5", they made her keep it and thus we filled our limit of over 29" halibut. Yes, I wanted to pay $700 to catch a 29.5" halibut. Then we had to let other clients take over for us if we got any bites because "they don't have their overs yet, and we'd hate to throw back any big fish."

Wow, loving bullshit, good to know Puffin did that.

The new halibut rules SUCK. I had some family up this year and it was the first time I fished the new rules. It used to be you would stop a the chicken hole to make sure they were there, then go on out and try to catch some big fish, and hit the chicken hole again if you struck out. Now the game is 100% just about catching a fish as close to 29" as possible to maximize your small fish. Fishing for little fish is unfun in general, but totally sucks for halibut.

Once they gaffed your wife's fish though, there was no choice in keeping it, the regs require all gaffed fish to be retained. However, there is no need whatsoever to gaff a 29" halibut, that is easily landing net material. And of course, total bullshit to not tell you they were making you keep the fish beforehand - standard practice is to measure always. You can't eyeball a one inch difference. If you're doing the small fish right you will measure every single time because you want to be as close to the line as possible. 100% lazy. I've seen Puffin Charters before, I will avoid them the next time I take family out for halibut.

If you're up again to go fishing, go for halibut out of homer, and crucially, find someone who will take you for rockfish as well. They are 100% more fun than halibut. The only good thing that happened on your charter is that you didnt have to reel up those other fish you hooked. Reeling in halibut is a bullshit chore.

Who did you fish with on the Kenai?

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

DoctaFun posted:

Looking back I now realize it was not the most humane way to clean a fish :(.

I just got back from a week in Alaska, how incredible! It's just absolutely beautiful up there, it really is an outdoorsman's paradise.

We planned for two days of fishing and ended up doing three. Our first day of guided fishing for rainbows/silver salmon on the upper Kenai was a complete clusterfuck and I called and complained because I felt very disappointed after spending $700 for my wife and I to fish. The owner of the charter offered to take us out personally the next to make up for it, free of charge! That was awesome of him, he was a great guy and a great guide. We got paired up with the sports reporter from Anchorage's NBC affiliate, Kari Bustamante(look her up, seriously). Her and her cameraman were awesome, we all had a great time and left after about 4 hours with a limit of silvers each.

Halibut fishing in Seward through Puffin charters later in the week was a joke, my wife and I each caught halibut right away, but you can only keep one over 29" and one under 29", which wasn't communicated to us before I caught mine(which meant I was basically done fishing after catching a fish like 40 minutes into the trip), then my wife caught a small halibut that they gaffed immediately without asking if we wanted to keep it because, "It looked under 29", but measured 29.5", they made her keep it and thus we filled our limit of over 29" halibut. Yes, I wanted to pay $700 to catch a 29.5" halibut. Then we had to let other clients take over for us if we got any bites because "they don't have their overs yet, and we'd hate to throw back any big fish."

Yeah, you know what else I would hate as a paying customer? To catch an 8 pound halibut and then let someone else reel up an 80 pound halibut on my rod. It would be awesome for them to do no work but get to bring home 60 pounds of fish while I sit here with my thumb up my rear end. Then we moved to try and catch silvers and the entire boat caught 0. That's fishing I guess, but it wasn't the 'fishing' that anyone else experienced in town.

Anyways, that day was disappointing, we dropped all our fish off at the processing place later that day and had 21 pounds of halibut to go along with our 25 pounds of silver salmon. You want to feel sick to your stomach? Pay $700 for a charter and bring in 20 pounds of fish, and then wait in line behind a group of two people dropping off 55 pounds of salmon and 30 pounds of rockfish, to go along with the "60 pounds of halibut from yesterday!".

To make matters worse, when we picked up the fish, they misplaced all of our salmon. Awesome. They ended up giving us the same weight in salmon from their fresh caught stock, and then adding on 6 pounds of halibut and 6 pounds of salmon(which is about $250-$300 worth of fish), but still, disappointing.

Overall it was a fun trip, in a truly breathtaking place. But to be quite honest, I could spend $4k+ to go to Alaska for a week, fish every day, and catch a total of about 30 fish(they have strict laws up there, once you catch your limit, you can't fish anymore, makes me really appreciate the catch and release laws we have in MN) OR I could pay $3k, go to an all-inclusive fly-in trip in Manitoba, probably catch 1000 walleye/norhtern/lake trout, with a chance at a trophy in any of those species.

Either way, if you ever make it up to the Kenai Peninsula, I'd recommend giving Jimmie Jack fishing charters a call, he's a total pro and takes care of his customers.

Oh man, that's rough. I just got back from Kodiak chasing Coho on the fly. Being a fly fishing guide myself and that 2 of the guys I went with had been there before, we didn't hire a guide. I pretty much limited out almost every day of the six days we were there. I had my first fish on within the first 10 min and hooked him on a fly I tied myself surprisingly enough. Caught a ton of Dolly's too (glad I brought my 6 weight). Here are some pictures, maybe that will cheer you up.

The owner of our shop doing his best "vana white" impression in front of our transportation for the week.

Me with an awesome Sockeye

Me with a nice silver on the Olds River

Me in the float tube with a beast of a silver

Kent with a nice silver in the float tube

Kent on the first day (it rained harder than I've ever seen) at the Olds river.

All in all we both left with 40lbs (each) of salmon, we had to give a lot of what we caught to two rookies who only caught two fish between them in 6 days... 2 fish per day doesn't add up to much :( I released a ton of fish though, including some I foul hooked...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy crap I can't believe I missed this thread for so long. I'm or I was big into light tackle near shore fishing off the Bay Area half moon bay. My kids came along and really put a damper on fishing activities. I've been doing a handful of science research fishing trips per year. It's all catch and release but you fish all day. I've also fished Montana a few times but I'm that guy throwing top water lures while everyone else is fly fishing.
I'd like to get into near shore yak fishing next summer. Gotta save up for a used starter yak first.

35lb 90cm ling caught on 15lb test with no barbs. She was caught on a science trip so she got released. I'm the dork in the Hawaiian shirt.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Didn't see any objections to ID requests in the op, hopefully nobody minds.

Caught this at Castle Rock in WI, know it's a bass, but not sure exactly what.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slugworth posted:

Didn't see any objections to ID requests in the op, hopefully nobody minds.

Caught this at Castle Rock in WI, know it's a bass, but not sure exactly what.

Actually you say fresh but it looks awfully like a croaker with those rays.

Fresh water drum.

Lol wiki
It is also called shepherd's pie, "perch", silver bass, gray bass,[3] Gasper goo, Gaspergou,[4] gou,[4] grunt, grunter,[3] grinder, wuss fish, and croaker, and is commonly known as sheephead or sheepshead in parts of Canada,[5] the United Kingdom,[6] and the United States.[3][4][7][8]

Wuss fish lol

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 28, 2014

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

LingcodKilla posted:

Actually you say fresh but it looks awfully like a croaker with those rays.

Fresh water drum.

Lol wiki
It is also called shepherd's pie, "perch", silver bass, gray bass,[3] Gasper goo, Gaspergou,[4] gou,[4] grunt, grunter,[3] grinder, wuss fish, and croaker, and is commonly known as sheephead or sheepshead in parts of Canada,[5] the United Kingdom,[6] and the United States.[3][4][7][8]

Wuss fish lol

That was fast, thanks. And of that list, sheepshead is the only one I have heard around here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slugworth posted:

That was fast, thanks. And of that list, sheepshead is the only one I have heard around here.

Yeah I love identifing fish. Out in central to southern SoCal we have a salt water fish called a sheepshead too. Ours is one of those wierdos that start off all female and the largest female turns into a male as needed. Pretty good eating and a big target of spear and yak fishers.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I love identifing fish. Out in central to southern SoCal we have a salt water fish called a sheepshead too. Ours is one of those wierdos that start off all female and the largest female turns into a male as needed. Pretty good eating and a big target of spear and yak fishers.

Actually it's a sheephead, only one "s" for our gender-flexible-yet-still-very-sexually-dimorphic West Coast species. Pedantic rear end in a top hat, away!

Just kidding I'd like to stay.

I live in Very Northern California, and I have a fishing license and a cheap rod and I have no idea what I'm doing. So hey.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

RabbitMage posted:

Actually it's a sheephead, only one "s" for our gender-flexible-yet-still-very-sexually-dimorphic West Coast species. Pedantic rear end in a top hat, away!

Just kidding I'd like to stay.

I live in Very Northern California, and I have a fishing license and a cheap rod and I have no idea what I'm doing. So hey.

Coastal or inland? I could give some fun advice on coastal.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

perabyte posted:

Oh man, that's rough. I just got back from Kodiak chasing Coho on the fly.

What did you go after them on? I did a bit of silver fishing on the fly this year (I'm mostly a spin fisherman) and they seemed to only be interested in garish pink things for me. It was kind of fun for a guy who does not do the whole delicate precise fly fishing thing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

As I mentioned earlier, I went fly fishing on the Stanislaus river yesterday, my first time fishing a river. It was really enjoyable once I got comfortable casting again, and I ended up catching 2 trout! One was maybe a foot long and was probably a keeper, the other was pretty small. I got so caught up in landing them, removing the hook and such that I forgot to take a picture of either, so I'm not even entirely sure what species they were :v:

Great fun though, I hope I can find a stream that nice a little closer to home and go again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Coastal or inland? I could give some fun advice on coastal.

Coastal Humboldt County. I've been out a few times with my friends, but we all have no idea what we're doing. My friend's managed to catch a few surf perch, but no luck for me so far.