Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Barto posted:

And hang out in Taichung handing out their poetry (only 50 NTD!)

Not poetry, but the best was the guy trying to hawk his lovely air-brushed paintings in the central park of Taichung every weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HappyHelmet posted:

Not poetry, but the best was the guy trying to hawk his lovely air-brushed paintings in the central park of Taichung every weekend.

And he always attracts a crowd. No idea how or why.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

And he always attracts a crowd. No idea how or why.

Is he white?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

...yes

he still sucks

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Mooncakes are like pork floss and red beans to me. I absolutely hated them the first time I came here but over time they wore me down and I started to appreciate them. If you can find a pineapple/yolk mooncake, grab one of those, it's like a funky pineapple cake.

The big problem with pork floss is that they put it in everything. It's not terrible stuff, but it doesn't go on sushi, goddammit. Stick to 肉鬆蛋餅 and 蛋堡.

I realize the mooncake talk was well over a page ago, but I don't care about the other stuff you've been talking about.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

"Uh, no, just because you 'write a poem' doesn't make you a poet, just like writing movie reviews doesn't make you a 'movie reviewer' you need to train for years and go to the special schools and and blah blah blah blah."
I mean, sure I oversimplified, one poem does not a poet make, but I disagree that someone must go to special schools, that's pretty classist. Some of the most phenomenal amazing poets I know (and I been in the game since '98) never had any classes. They just read hard and write hard and edit hard, and then they take a stage and blow everyone's everloving mind, and I think they're not only poets but awesome poets deserving of the title.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pork floss is pretty great, red beans are pretty great, mooncakes besides the lotus/egg mooncakes are pretty great.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
OH WAIT I had a question thread. I haven't gone to my Chinese class in about a month, just because it's at 9:00 am and what am I a loving civilized human being who wakes up at a decent hour? Anyway I'm wondering if any of you could suggest a new Chinese class to me, because I don't think the 語言中心 I've been studying at has any morning classes that aren't at 9:00 in the goddamned morning. I wanna hopefully get an hour-long class on weekdays anywhere from 11a-1p. I'm on Book 3 of PAVC, but I'm way better than that already.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Oh hey I have a real question too. My roommate is miserable teaching and her contract is almost up. She has a law degree. She's spent a year or three working in Tucson for the Pascua Yaqui tribe helping them write things. She's hoping to get into translating papers and stuff. Y'all got any tips I can pass along to her? Can she still live in Pingtung and do this or does she have to live in Taipei for this sort of thing?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

poetrywhore posted:

Oh hey I have a real question too. My roommate is miserable teaching and her contract is almost up. She has a law degree. She's spent a year or three working in Tucson for the Pascua Yaqui tribe helping them write things. She's hoping to get into translating papers and stuff. Y'all got any tips I can pass along to her? Can she still live in Pingtung and do this or does she have to live in Taipei for this sort of thing?
Leaving aside my usual reservations about "oh hey I should do translating", no, you don't have to be in Taipei. I have regular to semi-regular clients from Pingtung, Taichung, Hsinchu, and Taipei, and all my work comes in via email, so really as long as you've got a Taiwanese bank account and the ability to bank a Taiwanese check, you're good on that front. As for tips, the best I could give would be find one client that you can work for frequently, and make sure you give them the best poo poo you can, because they'll be the start of a chain of referrals. Translating papers - assuming you mean academic ones - is patchy work at best though. If they're getting published in an English journal, at least one of the authors will be conversant enough with English to translate it. Maybe not well - in fact probably not well - but they'll do it. If it's not for overseas publication, they won't even bother translating it at all. Proofing is the best you'll get on that side.

On a side note, if she's into working with minorities and whatnot she could always head to the east coast and work with like the Bunun, Amis, or Atayal. No idea what work beyond teaching would even be called for, but it's an idea.

e:

poetrywhore posted:

I mean, sure I oversimplified, one poem does not a poet make, but I disagree that someone must go to special schools, that's pretty classist. Some of the most phenomenal amazing poets I know (and I been in the game since '98) never had any classes. They just read hard and write hard and edit hard, and then they take a stage and blow everyone's everloving mind, and I think they're not only poets but awesome poets deserving of the title.
I think the point is that the "poets" (as opposed to the poets) don't bother with the "read hard and write hard and edit hard" part, they just fart out some pretentious horseshit with cliche symbolism and broken metaphors and probably like a AABB or AAAA rhyme scheme then go "but it's aaaaaaaaart man". I know I don't need to tell you this, but if you don't at least try and edit your poo poo, you're not a poet, you're just a wanker who writes garbage for stoned burnouts.

e2: Oh, another translating tip - get a real job too. It's going to take a few years before she can even get close to making a living off it, and even then it's going to be real rough some months without a real job to tide her over.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 7, 2014

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

quadrophrenic posted:

I realize the mooncake talk was well over a page ago, but I don't care about the other stuff you've been talking about.

Yeah that's why I started the moon cake talk.

I think the newest box of moon cakes might be just 'regular' (something gold, my chinese sucks) and not fish. Though I've had tuna waffles and those are surprisingly legit, after I let go of my original "fish waffles what the hell Taiwan" reaction. I've eaten 5 moon cakes in the past 3 days so I'm not in a hurry to find out what's in these ones.

Yeah, I'm the guy who says, "I think moon cakes are okay." And then ends up with all the moon cakes.

I'm so getting my boss fruitcake for Christmas :rms:

But yeah while we're on translation, does anyone know any programs or certifications to do in Taipei for someone who is a native english speaker with a Master's in Chinese?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Horatius Bonar posted:

But yeah while we're on translation, does anyone know any programs or certifications to do in Taipei for someone who is a native english speaker with a Master's in Chinese?
If you want a full-on Translation Studies degree, Fu Jen, NTU, and Chinese Culture University have well-respected programs. If you want to do just a continuing education style thing, I did the Chinese Culture University one a couple of years ago, and while it was overwhelmingly E>C, it was still good. I learned a few good insights into how Chinese and English differ, I got some good practice with Chinese in contexts I'd not usually even encounter, and a couple of the lecturers were really interesting, smart translators. One of them was loving stultifyingly boring, but overall it was worth it.

In the end, though, only do any of them if you're personally interested in translation, because no-one in the Taiwanese business world gives a flying gently caress.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

poetrywhore posted:

I haven't found any, poet here, been looking for a hot minute. Let's be homies though.

Sure, that'd be great. :)

Not related to Taiwan, but what kind of poetry do you like to write? I would PM this but I don't have Platinum features.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

no-one in the Taiwanese business world gives a flying gently caress.

Ok, business as usual then. Thanks!
The Chinese Culture University continuous learning one sounds good, do you have a link to to? I haven't found the program's page yet.

Horatius Bonar fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 7, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Horatius Bonar posted:

Ok, business as usual then. Thanks!
The Chinese Culture University continuous learning one sounds good, do you have a link to to? I haven't found the program's page yet.

Bad timing - I literally just threw out their handbook for this month like half an hour ago. If you go into their campus on Zhongxiao E. Rd. down from Shandao Temple MRT you can pick up the handbook though.

fe: Oh wait, this looks like the one.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

poetrywhore posted:

:thejoke:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I've seen some majestic and awe-inspiring temples in Seoul, Korea
Oh? Where? Dish? I live here and know things well and don't know what you mean.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Horatius Bonar posted:

If you have good Chinese, an MA, and don't mind coming to the dark side you could get a cool job in Shanghai. My linkedin gets flooded with random crap like localizaion jobs Blizzard and Ubisoft.

But are those higher wages, valuable experience, and actual upward mobility worth living in China? Probably not. (tho tbh I much prefer Shanghai to Taipei)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DontAskKant posted:

Oh? Where? Dish? I live here and know things well and don't know what you mean.

Like Jogyesa Temple off of Myeongdong?

That's pretty majestic to me, maybe not for you? v:shobon:v To be fair, by "some" I was mainly thinking of Jogyesa.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 7, 2014

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

If we're gonna have temple talk, I'm gonna contribute! I woke up at 5:30 and decided it was a good time to walk up the mountain behind my dorm to Zhangshan Temple.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I literally have two guitars that I don't know how to play. I could pawn one off on you on the cheap.

How cheap are we talking? I'm interested. Send me a PM.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

If you have good Chinese, an MA, and don't mind coming to the dark side you could get a cool job in Shanghai. My linkedin gets flooded with random crap like localizaion jobs Blizzard and Ubisoft.

But are those higher wages, valuable experience, and actual upward mobility worth living in China? Probably not. (tho tbh I much prefer Shanghai to Taipei)

Yeah Shanghai is cool, if I lived in China it would be there. But I'm not asking for myself, my Chinese is poo poo. My gf is the one with the MA, and she actually went to Shanghai this summer for a job opportunity to see how it would work out, and came home pretty disappointed. And she's lived 2 years in mainland China so she knows it. It's better to live in Taiwan for us, with no stress, easy living, hot springs and beaches. But if we ever get tired of it, Shanghai will be the place to go.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Backweb posted:

I woke up at 5:30 and decided it was a good time to walk up the mountain behind my dorm to Zhangshan Temple.

Feeling nostalgic. I just left NCCU three weeks ago after a year there. Going to miss seeing Maokong and Zhinan Temple (and of course 101) every day.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

kenner116 posted:

Feeling nostalgic. I just left NCCU three weeks ago after a year there. Going to miss seeing Maokong and Zhinan Temple (and of course 101) every day.

Taipei 101 is like the eye of Sauron.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Like Jogyesa Temple off of Myeongdong?

That's pretty majestic to me, maybe not for you? v:shobon:v To be fair, by "some" I was mainly thinking of Jogyesa.

Maybe I got tired out of Korean temples. For me, not sure they really compare to the crazy taoist temples in Taiwan where they take the pimp my ride approach but with dragons or the Japanese or Chinese ones. Though that is a good shot of the temple, i like the edge of the roof designs best. The one in samseong in Gangnamgu is actually pretty cool too.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

kenner116 posted:

Yeah, so far this neighborhood has continued to amaze me. Not too keen on the dorms being far away from the main road though (... or the ridiculous dormitory rules).

Magna Kaser posted:

Holy crap that's a good analogy.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
There's a pair of apartment buildings that are smaller Taipei 101's pretty much directly outside my flat, so I guess I live in Isengard.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Sure, that'd be great. :)

Not related to Taiwan, but what kind of poetry do you like to write? I would PM this but I don't have Platinum features.

That really is backchannel talk though, we got enough haters in here already without baiting them. Holler when you get Line on your phone or hit me with an email address or something.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

poetrywhore posted:

That really is backchannel talk though, we got enough haters in here already without baiting them.
No one was hating on people who actually take poetry seriously.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

The Barad-dûr :eng101:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

House Louse posted:

The Barad-dûr :eng101:
Gesundheit.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

TetsuoTW posted:

No one was hating on people who actually take poetry seriously.

I hope you'll forgive me if I've been conditioned to be overly cautious with this bunch.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

poetrywhore posted:

I hope you'll forgive me if I've been conditioned to be overly cautious with this bunch.

This bunch? Are we grapes to you?
What a hater.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Grapes of (goon)wrath. Juicy greasy pimple faced neckbeards taming the internet frontier :downsrim: Happy Mid-Autumn's festival everyone! Hope you are all enjoying the beautiful moon with lanterns, moon cakes, and some nice teas.

Anyone have any mid-autumn riddles? I got one. It's not so good though :smith:

First one : At the fringe of society, yet new as a store.

Second one: With really white skin, yet sounds like black.

Oh and can someone please tell me what's going on with Taiwan's gutter oil gate? People here in HK are flipping out and heart broken. Even the mighty and free Taiwan has fallen! And our local health officials claims that chemical tests on finished products is not as accurate as testing on original sources. ie. Passing the blame to somewhere else

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I have a local friend who went this weekend to the equivalent of FDA here with her university department to listen to a talk on it and ask some questions. I'm hoping to hang with her soon and hear about it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
AFAIK, they were collecting oil from places like the leather curing industry and putting it into food, possibly full of great things like heavy metals. That food includes food eaten by school children etc.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oh cool, is it time for another food safety scandal?

That's why I only eat McDonald's and Subway. Much safer.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

At least we know what poisons are in those.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Oh cool, is it time for another food safety scandal?

That's why I only eat McDonald's and Subway. Much safer.

How's the nuggets

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

They taste like FREEDOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil

quote:

Gutter oil has been shown to be very toxic, and can cause diarrhea and abdominal pain. There are also reports that long-term consumption of the oil can lead to stomach and liver cancer as well as developmental disabilities in newborns and children. Testing of some samples of gutter oil have revealed traces of Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH), a dangerous organic pollutant capable of causing cancer with long-term consumption. There is also potential for gutter oil to contain Aflatoxins, highly carcinogenic compounds produced by certain molds. Zeng Jing of the Guangdong Armed Police Hospital said about gutter oil "Animal and vegetable fat in refined waste oil will undergo rancidity, oxidation and decomposition after contamination, and produce toxic substances such as arsenic. It will cause indigestion, insomnia, liver discomfort and other symptoms".