Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Had my last game for the season, we lost as usual finishing dead last on the ladder.

Not really sure if I want to play summer league but probably should lest I become even less fit than I currently am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Looking for some advice, but a little story first.

I had a pair of Heaton Helite Zs for about two years, and McKenney Pro Specs for about 4 years (both 36). They were great, did their job and that was that. I replaced the McKenneys with custom Ritual G1s (36), which fit when I got them, but after about 6-8 months, the boot broke in and the pads dropped down about an inch, leaving my the center of my knee at the top edge of the knee blocks when I'd go down. I kind of toughed it out, but it got so bad that I picked up a clearance set of Zero Gs (36, second gen) last winter, that are really nice, but the boot is breaking in and they're dropping on my leg in the exact same way as the Rituals. In the interim, I got some Bauer Supreme knee pads that really exaggerated the problem. I realize that "36" can vary by manufacturer, but I'm not growing in my 30s, so something's changing.

So, a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help out with.

1. What the gently caress am I doing to my pads? Why didn't I have these problems years ago with much softer pads?
2. Can anyone suggest other pads that might come large, or will I have to look into custom pads in a 37?
3. Anyone have any random advice?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bradf0rd, do you work for NI?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Martytoof posted:

Bradf0rd, do you work for NI?

No, but I play on their mixed league team in Austin. While they have a ton of hockey players working for them here, they only have one goalie among them and he's too high of a level to play in net in mixed league. Why do you ask (aside from wearing their logo on my chest)?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just the logo :)

That's a badass jersey and it triggered every nerd feeling in me :)

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

nahanahs posted:

Looking for some advice, but a little story first.

I had a pair of Heaton Helite Zs for about two years, and McKenney Pro Specs for about 4 years (both 36). They were great, did their job and that was that. I replaced the McKenneys with custom Ritual G1s (36), which fit when I got them, but after about 6-8 months, the boot broke in and the pads dropped down about an inch, leaving my the center of my knee at the top edge of the knee blocks when I'd go down. I kind of toughed it out, but it got so bad that I picked up a clearance set of Zero Gs (36, second gen) last winter, that are really nice, but the boot is breaking in and they're dropping on my leg in the exact same way as the Rituals. In the interim, I got some Bauer Supreme knee pads that really exaggerated the problem. I realize that "36" can vary by manufacturer, but I'm not growing in my 30s, so something's changing.

So, a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help out with.

1. What the gently caress am I doing to my pads? Why didn't I have these problems years ago with much softer pads?
2. Can anyone suggest other pads that might come large, or will I have to look into custom pads in a 37?
3. Anyone have any random advice?

Can you move the knee blocks at all? I know with both bauer sets I have, I could move them via a velcro system.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So the torch passing from Bradf0rd to me on Molson Twins has come up with... well a standard Molson Twins loss. We were winning 2-1 with under 2 minutes left when a bad change and pinch gave the other team a two on one. I stopped the first shot coming in, but I directed that rebound straight out to the second man who shot it past my flopping glove side, and then we lost in the shootout.

BUSINESS AS USUAL FOR MOLSON TWINS.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

So the torch passing from Bradf0rd to me on Molson Twins has come up with... well a standard Molson Twins loss. We were winning 2-1 with under 2 minutes left when a bad change and pinch gave the other team a two on one. I stopped the first shot coming in, but I directed that rebound straight out to the second man who shot it past my flopping glove side, and then we lost in the shootout.

BUSINESS AS USUAL FOR MOLSON TWINS.

Heh, get used to it! :v:
I'm going to watch the game on Saturday since I also have a game that night. I look forward to a bunch of drunken heckling when I get in net.

Martytoof posted:

Just the logo :)

That's a badass jersey and it triggered every nerd feeling in me :)

Thanks, I think. It is quite interesting playing with a team of engineers who don't act like engineers. If anyone wants the rest of the photos, you can find them at http://bonander.smugmug.com/Other-Hockey-Photography/Rink-Rats-v-NI-Eagles-10-Aug/

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
How goes it bros? Zip those mitts are awesome, I love those old Brians logo details.

Back from a short break and apparently much needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJDKMoYo85A

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Made an emergency fill in for a friend lastnight, as I hauled rear end back home to get my gear from a wake I was at. Just made warmups, to find out that this was a A/B level league (I typically play C/D), and the team we were playing just went 12-0 in summer, and plays in the pro-am (which is prolly the best men's league in CT) of my normal league. Oh and apparently we were shorthanded some better players. Add to the fact I haven't played in almost exactly a month, and the team I filled in for is playing their second game together ever, the other team has been around a long time. We had a solid team, lots of individual talent, but the team chemistry wasn't there. Plus I was a bit rusty. We lost 12-2. The high point is I kept up with play for the most part, I got caught out of position a few times, but not as much as I thought I would. Out of those 12 goals, probably 4 or 5 of them I got a good piece of but they got through, and another couple I actually just hosed up and should've probably had. Then they had their 5 or so ridiculous snipes/breakaways/blasts through screens. I think we were probably losing even with their regular goalie in, but it was fun to play at a higher level. I would've loved to have been on the other side though. We never really challenged him.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

titanium posted:

How goes it bros? Zip those mitts are awesome, I love those old Brians logo details.

Back from a short break and apparently much needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJDKMoYo85A

I think I'll be playing with some of the dudes you skate with at parade, in Eagan this winter. Unfortunately it sounds like fall is a no go though, seems like hockey opportunities for goalies dried up quick this fall (except for the guy who wanted me to play down a level for his team that lost every single game by 4+ goals last winter lol). Fortunately I have one consistent skate every week but it would be nice to find a league as well.

Some guy in the D league left a voicemail asking me to sub on Sunday at 10pm. I just didn't respond. The time is bad enough but I'd prob do it if it were an opportunity to face better competition. D league I'd need help staying awake.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 10, 2014

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Does anyone know how the sizing on Bauer cowlings works? I have some old One80 cowlings that need replacing (the boot and steel are long replaced). I'm looking at clearance Bauer Performance, since I hate the vertex cutouts, but size 9D isn't always available. Can I get a 9.5? If the skates are 9EE, would that matter for the cowling?

Also, I got some G-Netik 5.0 pads and they're sweeeeeet. Here's hoping I don't find a way to make them not fit like the others.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'm going to pretend that I didn't record my horrible game last week and just post the one from yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrJYT9ifDUo

I think I had a small stroke on the breakaway and just decided not to move at all toward his backhand. Keeping the infinite non shutout streak alive!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ManicJason posted:

I think I had a small stroke on the breakaway and just decided not to move at all toward his backhand. Keeping the infinite non shutout streak alive!

I do this too sometimes. I'm really confident on my blocker side, and if the guy has to go backhand on my blocker side all the better. And then my smugness bites me in the rear end when the guy comes in fast and taps it around me because I didn't extend my leg pad out and sat directly down on my haunches.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

My G2s finally arrived yesterday!

First impressions: When picking them up and doing the arm test they didn't feel all that lighter than my old pads. I got them on good lord the weight distribution is amazing and it feels like you're barely wearing anything. They are understandably very stiff, doubly so coming from my old beaten up V3 clones. They're also massive - I've gone from a 36+2 down to 35+1.5, I'm bang in the centre of the knee stacks but the thigh rise almost goes up to my junk.

Putting them on, the clip system for the toes was a bit fiddly but much of that was probably a combination of the clips being new and stiff and also being sat on the edge of my bed rather than a bench. Likewise for the boot strap, even being knelt into the pads it was a bit like having to go fishing for the D clip to get them done up. Still quicker than Toe Ties/Regular boot straps though. The rest of the strapping obviously is very quick and simple, I went straight for the open knee lock but there is room to experiment. The thighrise lock I've got all the way over to compensate for going from a double break to a single break pad but I plan to gradually reduce it with time.

Spent some time messing around doing carpetflys, the pads feel very supportive when down with no noticeable pressure anywhere in my hips or ankles. When I land with the tops of my pads touching my butterfly feels nice and wide or if I need to tighten up I can land easily with the thighrise of one pad slotting in front of knee block of another. The other thing I noticed is that these pads are super slidey even on carpet - I could butterfly slide they were that good.

All in all initial impression of these pads is that they're everything I hoped they would be. My first session on the ice with these is on Tuesday and then I'm hoping to sneak onto another practice session before my regular Wednesday session and just spend an hour sliding around in a corner to get used to them. Excited is not the word!

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

More video spam!

It seemed like everyone who complained about nutso rebounds from the Rituals was using a different pad than me until tonight. My rebounds were all over the place, sometimes out to the slot and often all the way out to center ice. I got two assists off of pad rebounds if the refs scored it right. I'm sure I can do a better job getting my stick on the low shots, especially on the glove side, but it really seems like it was just one of those nights where every shot was six inches off the ice and going to end up generating a rebound. I let in four goals, three directly off said rebounds.

The video includes bonus clips of one of my teammates waving to his six year old daughter behind the glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cQOELjd378

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/knee-thigh-guards/ccm-goalie-leg-pad-accessories-legal-thigh-guards.html

So the above link is what I currently have for thigh protection. Problem is the Velcro is shot and they keep moving around an constantly need to be adjusted, so I am looking to replace them. Anyone have any suggestions for what works for them? I mostly want something durable that won't break down after a year as well as something that doesn't move around and stays put. Extra protection wouldn't hurt because these ones are pretty bare bones minimum in that regard.

These look sweet http://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/knee-thigh-guards/reebok-goalie-accessories-pro-knee-protector-sr.html

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 27, 2014

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Well I just had one of the craziest games in net I've ever had.

I'll link the game summary and fill in why it was crazy.

• 2nd game of the night
  • End up saving a penalty shot after their star player gets hauled down on a breakaway. The guy simply wiffed as he went to do a move and I got to easily cover the puck.
  • Goals go back and forth for a while with our team getting the tying goal with :55 left in the 3rd
  • Make a save with my face off a snap-shot and it was so loud the ref shouted "Headshot! What a save!" as we got the puck out of our zone
  • The shootout lasted forever I was so annoyed that I couldn't close it out after our guys got a goal first.

Their final goalscorer I actually got a good piece of the puck, sent it looping into the air and I tried to bat it out of the air with my goal stick but couldn't because I had slid back into the net and the stick hit the crossbar. I was annoyed but honestly at that point it was already past midnight and I wanted to go home.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

TrixR4kids posted:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/knee-thigh-guards/ccm-goalie-leg-pad-accessories-legal-thigh-guards.html

So the above link is what I currently have for thigh protection. Problem is the Velcro is shot and they keep moving around an constantly need to be adjusted, so I am looking to replace them. Anyone have any suggestions for what works for them? I mostly want something durable that won't break down after a year as well as something that doesn't move around and stays put. Extra protection wouldn't hurt because these ones are pretty bare bones minimum in that regard.

These look sweet http://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/knee-thigh-guards/reebok-goalie-accessories-pro-knee-protector-sr.html

I use Bauer Supremes. They're pretty nice, though mildly bulky, but not in an interfering with movement way. I had to take a pad out of the knee stack on my pads for a better fit, but that was fine. My only complaint is that they seem to have moved my knee up a half inch or so in my knee stacks, to the point where I wasn't really in the stacks anymore. This lead to new pads, which, I guess I'd rather not have had to do, but that's more a pad issue than the knee pads. The selling points are that they're absolute tanks and the below-knee strap really holds them in place. I don't use a garter or anything.

CCM appears to have a very similar model now as well.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

How long have you had them? Just don't want to buy something slightly cheaper that only lasts a year or two.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I got them in April and have been using them twice a week, minus three months of concussion fun. There's some wear from rubbing, but overall, they're in fine shape.

I didn't notice this 5 star review on the CCMs:

quote:

the plastic on the knee guard itself is awful. every time i drop to a butterfly the plastic pierces my knee and right now i put hockey socks underneath them for padding. definitely the worst knee pads on the market hands down.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

nahanahs posted:

I got them in April and have been using them twice a week, minus three months of concussion fun. There's some wear from rubbing, but overall, they're in fine shape.

I didn't notice this 5 star review on the CCMs:

The CCMS look just like the old Reeboks. I don't think a lot of people liked the old Reeboks.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I'm going through the process of dialing in my G2s. I've found that taking the shin pad out and also taking the straps out of the calf wedge has helped immensely. I'm yet to adjust the boot or toe straps but I think I've found a happy place with the strapping. I do the bottom velco strap to the second line/crease in the calf wrap and the top velcro strap to the first line/crease in the calf wrap. The knee strap I have running diagonally down and have it attached about half way. I'm wearing Bauer Reactor knee pads (don't like bulky knee pads) and the pads feel amazing this way.

The only thing I'm not 100% happy with at the moment is the bend at the top of the pad, even with the profile lock fully down it's still a bit too straight for my liking. Is it worth putting the pads under a bench or something for a few days in an effort to squish them down a little or is that considered a cardinal sin these days?

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

parsleyc posted:

The CCMS look just like the old Reeboks. I don't think a lot of people liked the old Reeboks.

Funny you mention those. I have them and they're completely awful. Everything people say in the reviews about bruising below the knee is completely true.

I went through a lot of knee pads before I found the pair I liked, which was kind of a bummer, because I wanted to try the Bauer Supremes early on, but my local stores didn't have them and they looked really bulky.

Zip! posted:

The only thing I'm not 100% happy with at the moment is the bend at the top of the pad, even with the profile lock fully down it's still a bit too straight for my liking. Is it worth putting the pads under a bench or something for a few days in an effort to squish them down a little or is that considered a cardinal sin these days?

I did it to my G1s and it improved them, for me, immensely. I didn't really understand the concept of breaks in pads when I got them. It was a hard lesson, but getting the thighrise curved really helped.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Word on the street is that Reebok is getting phased out by Adidas as a hockey brand and its all going to be CCM moving forward. This makes sense since the CCM CL Pro shorts are updated 20ks and the Clav guards, knee pads and everything else have already been rebranded.

RE: Knee Breaks - Making the transition from 2 to 1 is the source of my woe at the moment. I'm only missing maybe an inch of bend that previous pads gave me but its enough to make a difference and I had a few squeakers last night at practice. Everything else about the pads is perfect though - I kicked out a rebound so hard last night it would've been an icing if it was in a game.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

nahanahs posted:

Funny you mention those. I have them and they're completely awful. Everything people say in the reviews about bruising below the knee is completely true.

Wow this happened all the time with a pair of shinpads I used. Turns out I had the wrong size.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

I'll get the Bauer knee pads before I play tomorrow. The ones I have now are such a pain in the rear end it'll be nice to have one less thing to worry about and no longer constantly adjusting them.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I think its about time to replace my skates, since they're almost old enough to vote. I've been interested in trying some of those really tall skates that let you get a push from a much lower angle than usual-- especially after suffering long with these old skates which have the double problem of being really short, partly because there's very little steel left on them, and partly because they're very wide. Something like these:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/skates/sr-goalie-skates/bauer-goalie-skates-supreme-one9-sr.html

would be a really big change for me.

On the other hand, I have a new pair of forwards skates from Graf that feel wonderful right of the the box, and there's a good dealer in town that has the full Graf's line, so I could get something like these:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/graf-goalie-skate-g7500-ultra-sr.html

but they're obviously not as tall of a skate and I'm not sure I'd get as much benefit. On the other hand, it would be less of a change for me to get used to. Any recommendations/advice?

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I love my Bauer Pro's which you should be able to get at heavy discount on now the new ones are out. That said, my feet only seem to fit Bauer skates and feel horrible in Graf/Reebok or anyone else so there is something to be said about getting what is comfortable.

If you're after more attack angle what you could do is get your Grafs and then put StepSteel Xtreme on them:
http://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/skate-accessories/cowlings-runners/step-steel-st-goal-xtreme-bauer.html (Please note this is the Bauer STX steel, but I'm pretty sure there is a Graf one).

Zip! fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 10, 2014

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

First ever game on Sunday since making the decision to come back and play goal in April.

We gonna get wrecked :v:

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I'm struggling a bit with my pushes while in the butterfly - going to my right is okay, not great, but with time and practice will improve. Going to my left however is a big problem - I've broken down the movement and I think I've identified the 2 main problems.

Problem 1 is flexibility in my right foot/leg/ankle - when I bring my push leg up into my body my foot always seems to be pointing at an outwards angle like this / rather than pointing inwards. Try as I might, I just cant seem to get this foot pointing inwards. A secondary part of this problem is also the inwards tilt of my foot/ankle - it seems that rather than being able to have my skate blade at a 45' angle to the ice and being on my inside edge that instead its always at 90 and so I can't get a good push off of my edges.

Problem 2 is stability - when I get to the part of the movement where you lift your sliding knee slightly off the ice I lack the stability to really hold this position. If I do the movement slowly, my body tends to freak out a bit and I collapse back down. If I do the movement quickly or at normal speed my body wants me to take me back to standing - its really frustrating!

For Problem 2, I'm guessing that a steady diet of weighted lunges or split squats with my right leg forward will help improve my hip stability. Problem 1 however I'm really stuck with.

If you have any thoughts or ideas for both problems I would be supremely appreciative!

There also may be an issue of technique here as well - please help!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Try pushing with your toe or heel, one might be easier.

Also, plant your left leg flat and just keep pushing over and over with your right, even if they're tiny pushes and you don't go far.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
Last night, I had a teammate tell me he'd loving kill me, throw a punch at me, then spend the few minutes I was in the locker room yelling at me and telling me he'd kill me some more, all for telling him to shut up after taking his second dumb penalty and costing us a goal. Fun night.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

nahanahs posted:

Last night, I had a teammate tell me he'd loving kill me, throw a punch at me, then spend the few minutes I was in the locker room yelling at me and telling me he'd kill me some more, all for telling him to shut up after taking his second dumb penalty and costing us a goal. Fun night.

Was his honor at stake? This could be a "Really Important Thing" (c) As you know, defending your honor on the ice is wayy more important than: Good hockey strategy, your goalie's confidence, not being a dick, having to explain a black eye at work the next day, paying the same amount of money to sit out games, and being a good example to your kids.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Here is some video of the problem!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXv3frh-j2w

Yes I know I am bad :smith:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Work on getting that blade flat on the ice and loading your weight onto it. Trying to push from how you're loading now (i.e. not really at all) is just going to cause bad habits.

Track, rotate, load. Practice those over and over.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I literally have not played in a year and change now (shame on me, work and a 2 hour commute each way does that to a man). Reading this thread just made me fish the gear out of the basement and look up open shinny this weekend :cool:

Incidentally, guess who realized they hadn't aired out their sweaty underarmour and left them in their bag the last time they played ... a year ago.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
It looks like you need to push from your toe more. Also make sure you practice to stop after the push, it's the same as pushing except its the opposite leg and you don't push. It might help you work on getting your weaker leg into the right position and getting friction.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Yeah it looks like you really gotta plant solidly more and just get a good grip and push. Incidentally, what are your skates cut at? Getting a sharper edge may help too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zip! posted:

Yes I know I am bad :smith:

Hrm, I honestly think your balance, or lack there of in this case, is what's causing the push to the left to be so janky. The push to the right has you leading with the whole of the blocker arm to get momentum going, which is correct. With your glove, you're just twitching that shoulder and elbow up, like your arm is tied to your side. After you load up that leg and core, you got to get that arm out and away in the same motion with the push.

• Locked thread