Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Nintendo Kid posted:

Seriously? Neither Putin nor Yeltsin was interested in submitting to the same sort of reduced decision making roles required to join the EU or NATO; further the eastern countries themselves had to wiat quite a bit to join up.

And during their trial period there was a policy of integration. The West made a concerted effort to win over the hearts and minds of the people. Admittedly, it was easier in Poland than it would be in Russia, but why did the west's attempt to educate the Russians against the dangers of autocrats fail? Why was giving up power Yeltsin's bridge too far? The difficulties you are describing are the exact reasons that the Peace Corps exists.

I know it's easy to say "It's because the Russians aren't used to democracy!" but the same thing can be said about all the Warsaw Pact states, and none of them are currently pursuing brinksmanship with the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You might want to run a malware scan. Unless your country is taking a page from China and having internet police pop ups.

I am currently in Moscow, so maybe? I wasn't having a issue with it 2 days ago when I was in the states. It might be DOS related though.

As far as the EU, it wouldn't have ever been an option for Russia, Russia is way way too large of a country and would have skewed the union as a whole far more towards it and away from Frankfurt and Brussels. Also, I suspect NATO wouldn't have worked out either for a variety of reasons, especially since in the minds of Russians they were "the bad guys."

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 8, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Malleum posted:

And during their trial period there was a policy of integration. The West made a concerted effort to win over the hearts and minds of the people. Admittedly, it was easier in Poland than it would be in Russia, but why did the west's attempt to educate the Russians against the dangers of autocrats fail? Why was giving up power Yeltsin's bridge too far? The difficulties you are describing are the exact reasons that the Peace Corps exists.

Yeltsin refusing to give up power made it impossible for Russia to join EU or NATO: accession to both requires giving up some measure of local control to become part of the overall. Hence, impossible for Russia to get the benefits of either.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Malleum posted:

Propaganda is a powerful thing. The information is muddied by Putin's poisoning of the waters. Everything not Russian is suspect. The information is out there, but the Ministry of Truth has ingrained a distrust of it into the Russian societal conscience. Of course they bear some moral responsibility, but neither are they 100% culpable for every action of the Russian state.
You know, one thing that's keeping me hopeful with this thing is that while propaganda makes Russians support war and Putin today, then tomorrow (god willing) the propaganda could just as easily sway them in the other direction.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

StandardVC10 posted:

Some posters from I think Slovakia or the Czech Republic were complaining about capchas, I think because a server that was trying to DOS somethingawful was based there? IDK.

That's true, it might be a cloudflare type thing.

Malleum posted:

I know it's easy to say "It's because the Russians aren't used to democracy!" but the same thing can be said about all the Warsaw Pact states, and none of them are currently pursuing brinksmanship with the West.

I'm not convinced. Part of the problem is Russia has a lot more to lose than the other states do. They're a big nation with enough nukes and a seat on the security council. It wouldn't be in their interest from a policy perspective to get under the west's wing like it was for most of the former Warsaw pact nations. This isn't to say that the Russians are doing themselves any favors right now, or that the West did any favors in the past either. I also don't think Russia is currently engaging in brinkmanship right now either. The situation is too muddled. Brinkmanship may well become the order of the day, but The Ukraine isn't a NATO member, so while what they're doing sucks, I don't think you can call it brinkmanship with the West. We'll have to see how things pan out in a few weeks when NATO troops are actually in The Ukraine.

Also, as much as I hate to say it, brinkmanship got us through the cold war in one peace, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if we go back. For one thing, it'd be a lot harder to do what they're doing if the West was already back to the 1980's in attitude.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeltsin refusing to give up power made it impossible for Russia to join EU or NATO: accession to both requires giving up some measure of local control to become part of the overall. Hence, impossible for Russia to get the benefits of either.

Why? Do you understand the reasons behind Yelstin's reluctance to give up that power? Do you have any inkling of why he wouldn't give up his power even in the face of the 90's? It means nothing to know that a thing happened without understanding the context behind it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Malleum posted:

Why? Do you understand the reasons behind Yelstin's reluctance to give up that power? Do you have any inkling of why he wouldn't give up his power even in the face of the 90's? It means nothing to know that a thing happened without understanding the context behind it.

The reason was that Yeltsin thought Russia could go it alone and remain a strong power, instead the actual Yeltsin administration happened.

Sorry, Russia lost their chance then, and refused chances ever since.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, I've heard. Theres quite the community of anti-Russian imperialism here in Chicago. I'm trying to determine whether the attempts are grassroot, astroturf, or grassroots with astroturf management.

I think its mostly grassroots. I live in a Ukranian neighborhood and ive known several of these guys for decades. I have to laugh anytime somebody says Ukraine is not a real country or that theres no real ukranian identity. All ive known when I meet a ukranian is absolute pride in their roots as Ukranians and their culture.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think its mostly grassroots. I live in a Ukranian neighborhood and ive known several of these guys for decades. I have to laugh anytime somebody says Ukraine is not a real country or that theres no real ukranian identity. All ive known when I meet a ukranian is absolute pride in their roots as Ukranians and their culture.

Yes, Ukraine has a distinct identity documentable since at least before the 12th century. I blame the Greeks.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Vladimir Putin posted:

Expatriates is probably not the best way to judge a national identity to be fair.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kainser posted:

Expatriates is probably not the best way to judge a national identity to be fair.

Well this is a good point. They don't squat in the street, so I have to take everything with a grain of salt.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

pigdog posted:

You know, one thing that's keeping me hopeful with this thing is that while propaganda makes Russians support war and Putin today, then tomorrow (god willing) the propaganda could just as easily sway them in the other direction.
The reason propaganda is so successful right now is because it tells people what they want to hear. If Putin turned it towards trying to pacify Russians, it wouldn't work.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Seriously? Neither Putin nor Yeltsin was interested in submitting to the same sort of reduced decision making roles required to join the EU or NATO; further the eastern countries themselves had to wiat quite a bit to join up.
Yeah, like I mentioned a bit earlier in the thread, the first NATO expansion happened in the same year Putin took power, and the EU expansion into former Warsaw Pact areas only happened 5 years later. It's hard to imagine the EU/NATO being able to act fast enough for liberal elements in Russia to be able to steer Russia toward true partnership with the West in such a short time.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

D&D has a few individuals actually employed in policy decisions. Policy decisions take both time to implement and time to appear. The more a troll posts and is responded to with evidence, the more likely that evidence is to become disseminated amongst those who actually decide what will happen.

It's true, I'm actually Obama irl and this thread made me decide to declare war on Russia.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

What have we done.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Also, as much as I hate to say it, brinkmanship got us through the cold war in one peace, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if we go back. For one thing, it'd be a lot harder to do what they're doing if the West was already back to the 1980's in attitude.

The real danger of the cold war wasn't all the times the world leaders were skirting as close to a conflict as possible hoping the other side would blink first (dangerous as that was), it was all the times the world was a few minutes away from nuclear war by accident or misunderstanding. Not really looking forward to a second cold war, humanity has already pushed it's luck way, way too far.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OddObserver posted:

This is actually somewhat ironic since a lot of harder-line Ukrainian folks seem to look towards Israel as an inspiration/role model,
both from the "you have to fight for yourself" angle and "Europe is all talk, so who cares what they think anyway" angle ---
and, well, in interest in not getting I/P here, there are certainly both positive and negative lessons to be had there.
(There are also lots of comparisons between DPR/LPR and Hamas).

I don't know if we should blame the Ukrainian cargo cult mentality or the great PR work of Israel for this.
Although "Novorossiya" rebels love to compare themselves to Hamas just the same.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

DesperateDan posted:

The real danger of the cold war wasn't all the times the world leaders were skirting as close to a conflict as possible hoping the other side would blink first (dangerous as that was), it was all the times the world was a few minutes away from nuclear war by accident or misunderstanding. Not really looking forward to a second cold war, humanity has already pushed it's luck way, way too far.

I disagree. I think we're safer on the brink. Nothing like living under the constant fear of the end of the world to make you really not keen on things that might end it. As long as the missiles still exist an accident can still cause a problem, after all, so I'd rather the weapons exist where people have the proper context for them and treat them with the respect they deserve. Or at least, the motivation to treat them with respect. I don't suppose anything will stop a Russian early warning system from being a broken piece of crap, but that threat hasn't gone away right now, and probably will never go away.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sometimes I really feel like I'm living in a completely different world. Russia joining the EU or NATO? Seriously? How would that even ... What? Seriously?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I remember an old joke, I think it went something like this:

When travelling at home, Americans are driving Ford.
When travelling abroad, Americans are driving Chevrolet.

When travelling at home, Germans are driving Opel.
When travelling abroad, Germans are driving BMW.

When travelling at home, Russians are driving Lada.
When travelling abroad, Russians are driving T-90.

This is the proof that all those Russian tourists in Ukraine, are in fact, tourists.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

waitwhatno posted:

Sometimes I really feel like I'm living in a completely different world. Russia joining the EU or NATO? Seriously? How would that even ... What? Seriously?

We were allied with Russia, once. If they play by our rules for a few generations, we can be allied with them again.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Malleum posted:

And during their trial period there was a policy of integration. The West made a concerted effort to win over the hearts and minds of the people. Admittedly, it was easier in Poland than it would be in Russia, but why did the west's attempt to educate the Russians against the dangers of autocrats fail?

Because Russia directly worked against the efforts to support NGOs and political parties, locked up the media and doubled down on nationalism unlike those countries. The West has consistently complained every time a journalist or political opponent was imprisoned or murdered and Putin just don't give a poo poo. You can't affect positive change in the face of this. The only thing we could have done differently would be with a more forceful response to those issues which would be better in hindsight but that definetely would not "win over the hearts and minds of the people". It would have been a great tool for the propaganda machine though.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

President Poroshenko is on his way to Mariupol to assess the damage. https://twitter.com/JuMistress/status/508916154375868417

Lukashenko says it's America's fault Russia and Ukraine are fighting, because America wants us to kill each other.

quote:

Brilev, an anchorman of Rossiya 1 TV channel.
“We should understand that a huge funnel was created and its swirling flows have been sucking Russia and us in. Who is interested in it? You know it. It is not in Europe's interests either any longer. It is 'Uncle Sam' from overseas that has been constantly pushing us to the fighting. And, let us be frank, there are a lot of politicians in Ukraine who follow this order,” Aliaksandr Lukashenka said.
“We must get away from this funnel, because Americans will not fight against us and Russia there. They want us to kill each other, to kill our people. But people in Ukraine are our brothers,” the head of state said. “Why do we let people clash against each other here? We, first of all, politicians must put an end to it and stop the war,”

http://belsat.eu/en/wiadomosci/a,21782,lukashenka-accuses-uncle-sam-of-instigating-war-in-ukraine.html

Poroshenko signed a bill today allowing Western companies to purchase stakes in Ukrainian gas transit and storage companies.

http://www.epravda.com.ua/news/2014/09/8/489274/

quote:

Poroshenko President signed a law that permitted lease of main gas pipelines and underground gas storage facilities without their alienation.

This shows information on the relevant bill storinochtsi Online Supreme Council.
Under the law, the transfer of gas transportation system of Ukraine for rent can be done only with the principles of respect for economic security.

The paper noted that the operator GTS assigned to entity founder and owner of which can be exclusively state, including through "Naftogaz Ukraine", or the state, including through "Naftogaz" and the entity ( entities), which is owned and controlled by residents of EU member states, the United States Energy Community and is the operator of the gas transportation system or a member of the European network of transmission system operators of gas.

In this case, the final decision on the participation of non-resident in the authorized capital of the company, who is entrusted with the operator GTS, adopted by the Council.

The law established that the founder and owner of the company created to perform the functions of the operator of the underground gas storage facility can be extremely self-government or state (possession of at least 51% of corporate rights) and legal entity (entities) that are owned and controlled by residents of the state Member States, the United States Energy Community.

In this case, the final decision on the participation of non-resident in the authorized capital of the company, who is entrusted with the operator of underground gas storage facilities, should also be adopted by the Council.

In conducting the competition a company which is a resident of the EU or the United States is obliged to disclose all information about the structure of their property and show all beneficiaries who own the company, and any change in the ownership structure of the company that won the tender, is permitted only for consent of the Ukrainian side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0mbWKd1b6k

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 8, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmmm, the shelling has stopped and nothing more has happened. There is still hope.

In today's Süddeutsche there is also an article about how nobody from Western journalists to even most of the powerful politicians in Moscow knows what the gently caress is up with Putin, what his plans are and what he his thinking. (The annexation of Crimea took several important and powerful people in Russia by surprise for example.) It also talks how Putin has grown up in an environment where might makes right and experienced many humiliations and turned that into being easily offended and using harsh reactions and humiliation as a tool himself. Finally it says that the Russian people are similar to Putin in still clinging to being pissed off and faulting everyone else except themselves without any sense of introspection like literal children.

And this is a liberal center-left newspaper.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 8, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
From liveuamap:
Little Green Men sighted in Moldova. https://twitter.com/rob7news/status/508925121382580225

Russian soldiers with tanks and armored personnel Carriers surrounded the checkpoint of #the national guard in Luhansk region https://twitter.com/Sloviansk/status/508924361206927361

#Gubarev: it's not only #DNR and #LNR, we say about all #Novorossiya, Zaporozhye, Kherson and other areas https://twitter.com/TKulakowski/status/508899180166017024

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
BBC: EU to adopt new Russia sanctions soon

Details later today, officially adopted tomorrow

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

From liveuamap:
Little Green Men sighted in Moldova. https://twitter.com/rob7news/status/508925121382580225

Russian soldiers with tanks and armored personnel Carriers surrounded the checkpoint of #the national guard in Luhansk region https://twitter.com/Sloviansk/status/508924361206927361

#Gubarev: it's not only #DNR and #LNR, we say about all #Novorossiya, Zaporozhye, Kherson and other areas https://twitter.com/TKulakowski/status/508899180166017024

Every time I hope that it is finally over, some new aggression from Russia happens.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
From the article though it is rather unclear where it is happening, whether they are in Moldova proper or are just in Transnistria.

http://www.unian.ua/world/960306-zeleni-cholovichki-zyavilisya-na-teritoriji-moldovi-rnbo.html

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 8, 2014

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Cat Mattress posted:

From liveuamap:

:stare:

What are they doing in Moldova? Basically the Russians really don't give a poo poo anymore?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cat Mattress posted:

From liveuamap:

Are those anti-tank dogs?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

OhYeah posted:

:stare:

What are they doing in Moldova? Basically the Russians really don't give a poo poo anymore?

Over a thousand Russian soldiers have been there for quite a while.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

my dad posted:

Over a thousand Russian soldiers have been there for quite a while.

I thought that was in Transdnstnstrnsdstnria.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

OhYeah posted:

So in Moldova. Heh.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

I disagree. I think we're safer on the brink. Nothing like living under the constant fear of the end of the world to make you really not keen on things that might end it. As long as the missiles still exist an accident can still cause a problem, after all, so I'd rather the weapons exist where people have the proper context for them and treat them with the respect they deserve. Or at least, the motivation to treat them with respect. I don't suppose anything will stop a Russian early warning system from being a broken piece of crap, but that threat hasn't gone away right now, and probably will never go away.

To me, that's a bit like saying the best idea of gun safety to walk around with a round in the chamber, safety off with a finger on the trigger, because then you will be paying better attention to where it's pointed, and respectful of it's power.

Since the first cold war ended, a lot of the more dangerous weapons were scrapped, vast proportions of extant stockpiles have been mothballed and while the danger is still there, nuclear forces have been at a much lowered alert state meaning it's harder to have a fuckup- with hostilities growing again- going back to the gun metaphor- the safeties are on and weapons holstered. I fear that will probably be reversed as puty poot has already talked about the IRBM ban not really applying any more.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OhYeah posted:

Ironically enough, not even Russia recognizes Transnistria as a state, although every other breakaway state in the region does. They are on de jure Moldovan soil as far as the international community is concerned, it just hasn't been news for over 20 years.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 8, 2014

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Ironically enough, not even Russia recognizes Transnistria as a state, although every other breakaway state in the region does. They are on de jure Moldovan soil as far as the international community is concerned, it just hasn't been news for over 20 years.

Well, the article is that Ukrainian officials claim that local powers are recruiting militias in Transdniester for something, which they assume would be aggression towards Moldova (except any such groups could clearly be used against Ukraine just as well); at any rate the headline on that twitter link sure is misleading.

Edit: re-reading it seems like the claim is that the Russians are doing the recruiting plus training, and that the Ukrainian official is repeating reports from a Moldovan one.

http://zik.ua/en/news/2014/09/08/russia_plans_to_destabilize_situation_in_moldova_nsdc_says_521441
Seems like an English version of the story, don't know anything about the source though (just what google news found for it).

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 8, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OddObserver posted:

Well, the article is that Ukrainian officials claim that local powers are recruiting militias in Transdniester for something, which they assume would be aggression towards Moldova (except any such groups could clearly be used against Ukraine just as well); at any rate the headline on that twitter link sure is misleading.

Edit: re-reading it seems like the claim is that the Russians are doing the recruiting plus training, and that the Ukrainian official is repeating reports from sne former Moldovan one.

Yeah, true but that is a rather different story that the headline/tweet, it is still interesting obviously. I suspect they be shipping them over to the front rather than open up anything in Moldova itself though. I guess there is also the theory that Russia would attempt to take Odessa at some point too.

That said, it is rather ambiguous since supposedly recruited from "southern Moldova," trained in "Moscow, Transnistria and Rostov" and sent off to who knows where. I wonder if they are from Gagauzia?

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 8, 2014

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Welp.

http://en.delfi.lt/lithuania/foreig...y.d?id=65776132

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Well, Estonia had a police officer kidnapped, Lithuania got this, I wonder what's Latvia's "What are you going to do about this, huh?" provocation going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
In other news, NATO and Ukraine finally started their planned military exercise in the Black Sea has started.

Russia protests of course and sends a missile cruiser to observe the maneuver. Also some guy from Russia called Alexej Puschkow has demanded clarification from NATO about the purpose of the non-existend weapon deliveries into Ukraine.

• Locked thread