Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

ulmont posted:

Direct TV Sunday ticket can stream to a console (XBox 360/XBox One, PS3/PS4), a tablet, a phone, or a computer.

The computer or tablet/phone can potentially be connected to a TV.

My dad has DirecTV and I was wondering if I had him order NFL Sunday Ticket if I would be able to watch all the game I want on my ipad/game consoles and stuff even though I live out of state.

GeauxSteve fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GeauxSteve posted:

My dad has DirecTV and I was wondering if I had him order NFL Sunday Ticket if I would be able to watch all the game I want on my ipad/game consoles and stuff even though I live out of state.

I believe so, but I've never had the satellite DTV, just the app and website (first with Madden and now just the internet only option).

Some limitations:
1) The apps will detect your location and not show you locally televised games. This applies where you are watching, not where your subscription is.
2) Sunday Ticket is only Sunday 1pm and 4pm games. For the night game you'll have to go to NBC's stream (I think they also have a console app), and you're out of luck Monday / Thursday (although those are obviously nationally televised).

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yay, I coughed up for GamePass. Going through preseason games now to get a sense of how the teams are shaping up (and to get my knowledge of the game up too).

Related to that second point, I was watching the Redskins - Patriots game and toward the end of the 1st quarter, the Pats fumbled a kickoff return that was grabbed by Redskins. Washington then re-kicked. I was somehow supposing that'd be a turnover right there. What's the rule?

edit: I missed the fact that the kicking team got an off-side penalty. I assume without that they'd have to turn it over?

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 10, 2014

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Kaiho posted:

Yay, I coughed up for GamePass. Going through preseason games now to get a sense of how the teams are shaping up (and to get my knowledge of the game up too).

Related to that second point, I was watching the Redskins - Patriots game and toward the end of the 1st quarter, the Pats fumbled a kickoff return that was grabbed by Redskins. Washington then re-kicked. I was somehow supposing that'd be a turnover right there. What's the rule?

edit: I missed the fact that the kicking team got an off-side penalty. I assume without that they'd have to turn it over?

After the play, the Pats had the option of choosing the outcome of the play or running the play again, five yards further back. Since they took option two, it's like the play never happened...except for the game clock I mean

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kaiho posted:

I didn't see the play but the way you've described it yeah that would be a turnover without the penalty.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks guys!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What changed with the football this year? Why are they so dark?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Doctor Butts posted:

What changed with the football this year? Why are they so dark?

Christopher Nolan reboot

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stephen posted:

My wife and I will be making a trip to Green Bay to watch the Panthers game on Oct. 19th. This will be my first time to Lambeau and I'm wondering if any vets can give me some advice. Stubhub good enough for tickets? Should I wait to buy or get them asap? Are there best/worst sections?

Thanks in advance.

I've been to two games at Lambeau. Stubhub is good enough. It is hard to say whether you should wait. Last I checked packer tickets they were super expensive. They may come down some once the season arrives and the market starts to move. Far-out prices are often high because people don't cut until they feel their chance to sell is closing.

There are aren't really bad seats at Lambeau. I've sat in the upper bowl both times and had a good view. It didn't feel like I was watching ants or anything, With any luck they'll still be selling canoe paddler, though it's possible every goddamn Leinie's tap has been taken over by the shandy at this point.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hiya, first downies. If you're watching a game and the officials do something weird, the 2014 rules thread is now open for business.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3661329

Sometimes we go pretty deep into the minutiae of ridiculous edge cases, but there's no such thing as a question too basic for that thread.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I wasn't sure where to ask this and thought this was a good place.

When a player is injured at the beginning of the season, or mid-season, what happens with his salary as it relates to the salary cap? Like, to sign another player obviously adds, but do they dock his salary or a portion of his salary when counting against the cap?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Same question, but with suspensions (ala Aldon)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

I wasn't sure where to ask this and thought this was a good place.

When a player is injured at the beginning of the season, or mid-season, what happens with his salary as it relates to the salary cap? Like, to sign another player obviously adds, but do they dock his salary or a portion of his salary when counting against the cap?

If you place the player on IR without terminating their contract, then their salary is paid out and counts against the cap. Unpaid money, like bonuses for playing X % of snaps or more recent contracts have per games started clauses, becomes available salary cap space.

If you do terminate their contract by cutting the player with an injury waiver, you have to negotiate a release, which is usually some percentage of their contract, and that chunk counts against the cap.

Blitz7x posted:

Same question, but with suspensions (ala Aldon)

Aldon isn't paid for the 9 games he's suspended, which is 9/16ths of his base yearly contract salary. This unpaid money comes off the books.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Kalli posted:

Aldon isn't paid for the 9 games he's suspended, which is 9/16ths of his base yearly contract salary. This unpaid money comes off the books.

So players are paid by regular season game? How does that work with the offseason and preseason and all of the other non-regular season stuff players do? Are they essentially unpaid from February to September?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cole posted:

So players are paid by regular season game? How does that work with the offseason and preseason and all of the other non-regular season stuff players do? Are they essentially unpaid from February to September?

Pretty much.

Players get like a few hundred a week stipend for OTA's and rookies get paid like $900 a week in preseason and veterans up to twice that.

Beyond that, you're just living off whatever your signing bonus was. Many rookies end up taking out loans from their agents and doing various appearances and stuff like signing cards for Topps. Veterans hopefully saved up or have their workout and other bonuses scheduled to pay out sometime during the offseason (usually right before the start of free agency or June 1st, when the league year starts).

This is probably partially how guys like Maurice Clarett end up driving around with a car full of guns screaming about the mafia trying to kill him.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Stephen posted:

My wife and I will be making a trip to Green Bay to watch the Panthers game on Oct. 19th. This will be my first time to Lambeau and I'm wondering if any vets can give me some advice. Stubhub good enough for tickets? Should I wait to buy or get them asap? Are there best/worst sections?

Thanks in advance.

As has been said, there are no bad seats in Lambeau.
The bench seating will destroy your back, however. Bring plain old styrofoam the width of your asses and put that on the bench to sit on. It will improve your quality of life 10 fold. I'm talking just plain, white packing styrofoam sections/planks.

Also walk around the parking lot before the game, Packer fans are legendary in their "Do you want a beer/brat" giving for anyone interested in stopping by their little piece of paradise. e: this is also irrespective of your favorite team, like if you're a visiting team fan, Packers fans will still shake your hand and give you a brat (and some friendly poo poo), that's just how they roll.

edit: just a reminder, THIS is your seat.

You get 18 inches of fun. Bring that styrofoam.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 7, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

As has been said, there are no bad seats in Lambeau.
The bench seating will destroy your back, however. Bring plain old styrofoam the width of your asses and put that on the bench to sit on. It will improve your quality of life 10 fold. I'm talking just plain, white packing styrofoam sections/planks.

Also walk around the parking lot before the game, Packer fans are legendary in their "Do you want a beer/brat" giving for anyone interested in stopping by their little piece of paradise. e: this is also irrespective of your favorite team, like if you're a visiting team fan, Packers fans will still shake your hand and give you a brat (and some friendly poo poo), that's just how they roll.

edit: just a reminder, THIS is your seat.

You get 18 inches of fun. Bring that styrofoam.

Is there a reason the Packers haven't redesigned the stadium to have seats like the rest of the league?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Do the same people play on offense and defense? Or does every team have two groups. One group of 11 players who play during offense and another 11 who play defense. Because when I think about it, a guy like Sherman who is good at interception and whatnot, might not be very useful during offense. Or am I begin stupid?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Torabi posted:

Do the same people play on offense and defense? Or does every team have two groups. One group of 11 players who play during offense and another 11 who play defense. Because when I think about it, a guy like Sherman who is good at interception and whatnot, might not be very useful during offense. Or am I begin stupid?

Football is mostly platooned. The skills for each position are sufficiently distinct that they need all their time dedicated to perfecting that one position. Trying to play two positions often means you don't get good enough at either one. Playing both ways is also twice as physically demanding, so either you play at a lower level most of the time or you run out of gas early in the game.

There are a few players now and then who play both ways. Stanford had a guy last years who was mostly a linebacker but was also used as a fullback occasionally. It's not unheard of, just rare.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It's also more common in high school or youth leagues, where lower skill levels mean simple athleticism can be that much more effective -- just let the one guy on the team with a future be on the field as much as possible. Same reason so many college players who end up playing at another skill position or as a DB were actually high school QBs. The fact that a lot of them weren't exceptional passers wasn't as important as the fact that they were just the best athlete on the team, and the value of them touching the ball on every snap outweighed that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

You will occasionally see swapping from college to pro level as well. Sam Shields is the best known recent example. He played WR at Miami but ended up as a DB in Green Bay.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Sometimes you'll see guys who play both ways in random packages because their job is basically to be big and run into people. Jim Harbaugh always has some FB/DT on the roster. In the past it was Will Tukuafu.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Ah, thanks for the info. One other thing I'm trying to learn about is how the season works. Does each win grant the team points that let them move up during the season, eliminating weaker teams, or how does that work? I'm googling about it too but all I can find is that all teams get to play all the other teams in their division. Not how the season progresses over time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Torabi posted:

Ah, thanks for the info. One other thing I'm trying to learn about is how the season works. Does each win grant the team points that let them move up during the season, eliminating weaker teams, or how does that work? I'm googling about it too but all I can find is that all teams get to play all the other teams in their division. Not how the season progresses over time.

From the OP:

quote:

Each team plays 16 games in the regular season, and they break down like this:

6 divisional games against their 3 divisional opponents, one home and one away each = 3 home games, 3 away games
4 intra-conference games against the teams from a pre-determined division (other than their own) in the same conference, and which division this is rotates every year (eg, AFC South rotates from the AFC West (2010) to the AFC North (2011) to the AFC East (2012) and then back again to the AFC West in 2013), these are split home and away between the four opponents = 2 home games, 2 away games
4 inter-conference games against the teams from a pre-determined division in the other conference, and this also rotates ever year but takes four years to cycle through because you don't have to worry about your own division (eg, AFC South plays NFC East (2010), NFC South (2011), NFC North (2012), NFC West (2013), and back to the NFC East in 2014), these are split home and away between the four opponents = 2 home games, 2 away games
2 intra-conference games against teams finishing the same place in their division - so if you finished 1st in your division, you would play all three of the other division winners but since one of those is already accounted for in the second bullet point, that only leaves two other opponents. These are also split home and away = 1 home game, 1 away game

All that together adds up to 8 home games, and 8 away games. How they determine who is home and who is away is a little trickier, though they tend to basically alternate home/away based on the last time you played those opponents but there is a bit of leeway taken in order to reduce East-to-West Coast (and vice-versa) travel to make sure teams aren't getting worn out from travel during the season.

A team plays all 16 games on its schedule, even if they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. The winner of each division goes to the plays, and in each conference there are an additional 2 wild card slots that go to the teams with the best record, regardless of division. It can lead to some fun things like a 7-9 Seattle team beating an 11(?) win Saints team at home.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

swickles posted:

A team plays all 16 games on its schedule, even if they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Actually you'll find that the worse teams in the league appear in 16 games but only play in 5 or 6 of them

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

football fuckerman posted:

Actually you'll find that the worse teams in the league appear in 16 games but only play in 5 or 6 of them

:smith::respek::smith:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

football fuckerman posted:

I believe this is the motto of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
When a punt is partially blocked, why is it not considered a live ball where the punting team can recover?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

When a punt is partially blocked, why is it not considered a live ball where the punting team can recover?

If it's touched behind the LoS it doesn't change the status. Otherwise, blocking a punt is a rather dangerous thing to do.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Because the defense should not be punished for making a good and exciting play, or trying to make one. If this was the case, no top-level team would ever call punt block because you'd have to be certain of getting all the ball for the risk to be worthwhile, and at that level you just can't be that sure of anything. This is why the rules differentiate between a kick that is touched before crossing the neutral zone, and a kick that is touched downfield.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
How would football change if they let offensive lineman be eligible to catch a pass? What's the reason they're not?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This doesn't really answer your question but the A-11 was a pretty fun idea.

e: Couple of plays

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 12, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

JPrime posted:

How would football change if they let offensive lineman be eligible to catch a pass? What's the reason they're not?

Lonnie Stagg at Chicago tested this out as a part of the reforms of 1910, with the help of a former player, Hugo Bezdek, at the University of Arkansas. He found that having every player eligible for a pass made it unstoppable, as there was no way to defend the run, rush the passer and simultaneously cover every other player on the field.

This is what was assumed in 1906 when the forward pass was first legalized and confined to ends and backs. Due to Stagg's tests the constriction was left alone.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

How do referees come out of a ref huddle so quickly with the determination of how a team wants to proceed with a penalty? Like, if it's a no-brainer penalty against Team B, do they just assume Team A will accept the penalty? Or vice versa, if Team A scores a touchdown and there is an offsides penalty against Team B, do they just assume Team A will decline the penalty so the TD stands?

Obviously, there are a handful of times you see the ref yelling to the coach, asking what to do. But most of the time, they have the announcement ready to go.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hockles posted:

How do referees come out of a ref huddle so quickly with the determination of how a team wants to proceed with a penalty? Like, if it's a no-brainer penalty against Team B, do they just assume Team A will accept the penalty? Or vice versa, if Team A scores a touchdown and there is an offsides penalty against Team B, do they just assume Team A will decline the penalty so the TD stands?

Obviously, there are a handful of times you see the ref yelling to the coach, asking what to do. But most of the time, they have the announcement ready to go.

I'm just speculating but I think most of the fouls are pretty obvious. I would think there's probably a dude in the coaches ear who's watching the officials throw flags from the box who relays what the likely call is. There was one on the weekend with the Kelvin Benjamin TD where they weren't sure who the flag was on for pass interference that took a second to get cleared up, but at times I think it's pretty obvious who the fouls going to be on. Side judge probably just checks with the coach and gives the head ref a nod.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hockles posted:

Well, the key is not to huddle. Covering official reports to R, R decides what the potential enforcement is and checks with U, they decide if they need a captain, most of the time the answer is no, everyone who's not directly involved checks that this is all done properly without wasting time in a huddle. As long as you actually know your poo poo and don't waste time going "derr, which spot is dat from again?", it's not difficult. With an experienced crew, that should take about 15-20 seconds from the ball going dead, less if they've got comms, more if they don't and people have to run long distances to talk, or if something's in two guys' area and they want to be sure they've got the same thing. Out of 20 fouls in a game, I'd say 10-15 probably have obvious enforcements, one of the rest is complicated enough to take it to the coach, and the others the field captain can quickly answer a simple question like "2nd and 16 or 3rd and 8?"

(The only time I've had an honest-to-God huddle recently was on the play where we had 33 seconds remaining, Team A down by 6 with 3rd and goal on the 4-yard line, and the deep officials see a pass appear out of the backfield which gets touched about twelve times by various people failing to catch it, and then finally caught by an extremely surprised A75 in the end zone. That one we talked about before doing anything!)

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Kalli posted:

Pretty much.

Players get like a few hundred a week stipend for OTA's and rookies get paid like $900 a week in preseason and veterans up to twice that.

Beyond that, you're just living off whatever your signing bonus was. Many rookies end up taking out loans from their agents and doing various appearances and stuff like signing cards for Topps. Veterans hopefully saved up or have their workout and other bonuses scheduled to pay out sometime during the offseason (usually right before the start of free agency or June 1st, when the league year starts).

This is probably partially how guys like Maurice Clarett end up driving around with a car full of guns screaming about the mafia trying to kill him.

I always wondered if the players had the option to take a 52-week payment schedule (like some teachers I know do), but on second thought, that would be really risky for players considering the percentage who are cut/released/injured every season.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Andrew Brandt says that pro-rated over a whole year is an option and that nobody ever takes it because they want that :10bux: now

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Andrew Brandt says that pro-rated over a whole year is an option and that nobody ever takes it because they want that :10bux: now

Why give your organization an interest free loan when you can put that money to work for you right now? Don't make it seem like the players are being foolish (though many of them are terrible with their money). Allowing your employer to pay you slower is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
So, how are the Chicago Bears going to fare this year in their matches?

• Locked thread