Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Kidd isn't even the best thief character, and if you use her instead of him, you are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, I can think of at least one boss that I'm sure you'll just loooove.

I really liked Chrono Cross' leveling system and kind of wish more games would use it. Even the element grid is pretty cool, even though it's a pain to set up for the first time if/when you blow a given configuration away or get a new character.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well one boss I certainly don't love is Miguel. Holy loving hell what was that? The fight was easily manageable except for a little thing called WeakMind + HolyDragonSwd which he links together instantly. Which means Instant 300+ damage. Lynx can barely survive it but my other two party members? Haha, Radius and Norris are eating dirt. Oh and I only have the single loving Revive I found way back in the game so....yeah, there was nothing at all I could do.

I loving hated it but I exploited Run Away so bad here. Did it about five times. I also abandoned my no stars left behind strategy because gently caress that fight. Lynx and Norris were both dead and Radius had less than 100 HP when he scraped out a win. I'll take it. After all those attempts, I will take it gladly.

I just hope this doesn't cripple their growth or anything... Well who cares about them. I can easily toss Norris aside and presumably Serge will be back in his own body sometime so everything should work out.

EDIT:

Looking it up, I think I should probably start using Diminish... I just haven't really bothered with buffs or debuffs this game because I have no idea how long they last. Diminish reduces ALL Elemental damage, including the damage you would be inflicting, correct? That is why I avoided using it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 6, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I was referring to Miguel. What a piece of work.

I believe if a character dies during a boss fight, they can "make up" the difference by being alive during the next one. The gains would be larger or something as the game wants you to converge to the same value eventually regardless of how far behind you might have been.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Miguel was pretty tough until I realized he has set order of doing things. He always does his buffs and debuffs before using Holy Dragon Sword. I tried to make the field Black on the turns leading up to it, and then I would block on the turn he uses it on. I also trapped Holy Light so I wouldn't get killed by the follow-up Meteor Shower.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Miguel's really stupid hard if you don't have a couple Diminishes and really simple if you do. At best you can use Imbecile to mess up the field and lower his damage a notch, but sometimes the chips fall in a way that put his damage very slightly over your characters' maximum HP, which sucks.

I usually bring along Starky; I think he's the only white innate you can have at this point, he will always survive the nuke, and he can use MagNegate when Miguel starts spamming high-level white spells. I think MagNegate might also work on Holy Dragon Sword, but since it's a single-target spell, probably not very well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Well one boss I certainly don't love is Miguel. Holy loving hell what was that?
Weirdly enough, I've never really had trouble with Miguel. Garai is my roadblock. Superpowered White-element boss when you have three Black-element characters, two of which are pretty underleveled (and yes, you can underlevel in CC because characters who aren't in your party don't gain stats and they don't catch up if they missed a Star Level).

The central problem with CC's system is that because you can't grind, you have to know about how good buffs and debuffs are, and you have to actually have them in your inventory. There are way too many bosses in that game stuffed into "point of no return"-type areas where you can't go back and buy or look for treasure chests with spells in them until you win.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 6, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Practically everything in CC's design reeks of 'Oh hey that's a good idea!' without ever thinking of the consequences.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Weirdly enough, I've never really had trouble with Miguel. Garai is my roadblock. Superpowered White-element boss when you have three Black-element characters, two of which are pretty underleveled (and yes, you can underlevel in CC because characters who aren't in your party don't gain stats and they don't catch up if they missed a Star Level).

I don't understand everyone's fascination with bringing Harle to super-powered white innate bosses who can one-shot her easily. Just take Starky and someone who can take a hit to Garai, put your Revives on them for when/if Serge goes down, and play it by the books.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't understand everyone's fascination with bringing Harle to super-powered white innate bosses who can one-shot her easily. Just take Starky and someone who can take a hit to Garai, put your Revives on them for when/if Serge goes down, and play it by the books.

Could you have Fargo by then? I seem to recall you could and he can take a beating. Seriously, do not go triple-black on those two white-innate bosses.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I don't think you can use Fargo yet, but I'm pretty sure you can have Draggy. Draggy rules and people should use him a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Garai was indeed the first boss to pose a challenge to me in a long time and I did have to reset a couple times. However, like Miguel, he had a set pattern but unlike Miguel he only had one move that was really worrisome. I think it was called WillBreaker? Anyway, after a few fights, I knew when it was coming and so I was prepared for it every time.

I think that one of my problems is that I was told going into the game that a character is always best with their own Element. So, while I give HP restoring Elements to everyone regardless of color, I only give damaging Elements to characters with the corresponding innate color in hopes of doing maximum damage. As such, Lynx was the only person in my party using Black Elements. I guess that was a big mistake.

Another big mistake is the Field Effect stuff. I have largely ignored that for most of the game but I guess I should try to keep an eye on it from now on in boss fights.

In any case, melee seems like it's becoming a good alternative to Elements at this point anyway. Radius can do about 160 damage if he gets all his hits in. Well, maybe it's more around 120.

Also I don't have "Draggy" or Fargo. I have:
Lynx
Harle
Sprigg
Funguy
Starky
Zappa
Van

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 6, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, you can't get Draggy until much later in the game. You have to revive Serge first.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Yes, do get used to manipulating the field color. You don't really HAVE to use those tricks on most bosses, but a decent understanding of those mechanics are needed to get the true ending.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, you can't get Draggy until much later in the game. You have to revive Serge first.

That's wrong; you can get Draggy as soon as you get a boat in Home World.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nathilus posted:

Yes, do get used to manipulating the field color. You don't really HAVE to use those tricks on most bosses, but a decent understanding of those mechanics are needed to get the true ending.

The worst part about getting the true ending is that it isn't even related to anything you learn in the rest of the game. Sure, the "hint" is that you fight the elemental guardians in the same order you need to cast the magic, but short of paying close attention to that, there's no way you're gonna figure it out unless you've heard the Radical Dreamers song before. Which plays at the credits.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The White Dragon posted:

The worst part about getting the true ending is that it isn't even related to anything you learn in the rest of the game. Sure, the "hint" is that you fight the elemental guardians in the same order you need to cast the magic, but short of paying close attention to that, there's no way you're gonna figure it out unless you've heard the Radical Dreamers song before. Which plays at the credits.

There's several hints about it throughout the game. They're just all before you're told they're important. The Sphinx dude's questions assuming you don't try to beat the crap outta it the old fashioned way and the crystals in the final dungeon are both also hints that come to mind easily. Hell, even the final boss implicitly tells you it, because its attacks go for the element before the one you used.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 4, 2018

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Friendly Factory posted:

I don't know why people still think this. Go to the Bend of Time to catch up with stats. People also seem to think you only get stats from bosses, but that isn't true either. After 2-5 fights with normies in an area, all characters get stat ups in two or three categories. It's just quicker than RPGs usually are.

Right, bosses just "gate" star levels. After you beat a boss you have so many level ups you can obtain after some battles, if I recall.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
On PSN there are some rpgs for ps3, but I have no idea what any of these are. Like Atelier Aysha, atelier Meruru, Mugen Souls, Hakuoki something? What is this stuff? Is any of it any good?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ManOfTheYear posted:

On PSN there are some rpgs for ps3, but I have no idea what any of these are. Like Atelier Aysha, atelier Meruru, Mugen Souls, Hakuoki something? What is this stuff? Is any of it any good?
Hakuouki is a game where you date pretty samurai boys as a lady, with token RPG elements. So don't buy that if you're looking for a regular RPG.

Mugen Souls is kinda bad. Atelier Meruru and Ayesha are the third and fourth in the recent Atelier series based on item creation and crafting. I really liked both of them, give them a try if you have a very high tolerance for sugary anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ManOfTheYear posted:

Tales of Xillia and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles are both pretty good. Valkyria Chronicles is also great if you like turn-based SRPG's.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Ni no Kuni is charming, although it's really slow-paced, long and occasionally grindy so the easy difficulty is recommended. It's also cheap and I think has dropped to $5 in a sale before, so it's pretty good.

For the Atelier games, Rorona, Totori and Meruru are one trilogy, Ayesha and Escha are the next. Starting with Ayesha is good to experience the slow paced story, item synthesis and battle system, but Escha & Logy have the most refined and efficient synthesis and battle systems, and doesn't really require much knowledge of the previous game.

I'll echo the recommendation for Valkyria Chronicles (although I think it's disc only) and Tales of Xillia.

edit: If you really really REALLY like anime, Neptunia is decent if you can get it cheap, and not the first one.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Heavy neutrino posted:

I always went out of my way to try to get opposite color characters involved with any boss fight. The extra damage both ways just makes the fights quicker and I never had much of a problem with any boss after a max of one restart where I'd understand their patterns a little better and adjust for them.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Valkyria Chronicles isn't on PSN yeah

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
On the most random of whims I've picked the DS's "Nostalgia" game after dropping it years ago. It's generic as all hell, and it's basically a poor man's Skies of Arcadia. I can't understand why I haven't just dropped it again, but I suppose I'll keep chugging along until this phase comes to an end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

On the most random of whims I've picked the DS's "Nostalgia" game after dropping it years ago. It's generic as all hell, and it's basically a poor man's Skies of Arcadia. I can't understand why I haven't just dropped it again, but I suppose I'll keep chugging along until this phase comes to an end.

Why am I only hearing about this game now? :suspense:

Is it worth a look at all?

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why am I only hearing about this game now? :suspense:

Is it worth a look at all?

It's an average game, but it doesn't do a whole lot that's actively wrong or awful if you can get behind 90's style RPG mechanics. It's at least worth a look if you can get it for about 10 bucks or so. Nostalgia really is the perfect name for it, all thing considered.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Last night it was Miguel, this night it's Dario. Granted, this is an optional fight so maybe I'm not even supposed to try it yet. I still have like four more dragons to beat I think. I was looking for them when i came to Forbidden Island and found this instead.

First off, the game handicaps me by forcing me to bring Riddel. She dies in a couple turns no matter what I do. Lynx meanwhile can't do any real damage to the guy at all. Maybe because they are both Black Element? Which means the only one who can do any significnat damage is my powerhouse Karsh. Now thanks to reading stuff elsewhere I've discovered how useful Eagle Eye is but it's still not useful enough to let Karsh alone pull out a win while Lynx tries to keep both of them alive and Riddel is KO'ed.

I still managed to get him to his hurt animation! Once! After trying the fight over and over and over again for the last hour or so... I'm pretty sure i might be able to scrape a win if I just wasn't handicapped by Riddel being worthless.

EDIT:

So I noticed he countered every Element I used on him which led to my conclusion you are supposed to melee him to death. Only that isn't it. he counters everything so if you use a physical attack, he uses one too. Interesting... Almost makes the fight too easy when you know the trick of it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 7, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Forest Thief Pud posted:

It's an average game, but it doesn't do a whole lot that's actively wrong or awful if you can get behind 90's style RPG mechanics. It's at least worth a look if you can get it for about 10 bucks or so. Nostalgia really is the perfect name for it, all thing considered.

It also unfortunately didn't grip me like Skies of Arcadia, so you may eventually travel to Japan and sort of lose interest at that point/forget what you were doing in the game. I want to love it for what its trying to emulate, but it doesn't scratch the itch enough.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NikkolasKing posted:

Last night it was Miguel, this night it's Dario. Granted, this is an optional fight so maybe I'm not even supposed to try it yet. I still have like four more dragons to beat I think. I was looking for them when i came to Forbidden Island and found this instead.

First off, the game handicaps me by forcing me to bring Riddel. She dies in a couple turns no matter what I do. Lynx meanwhile can't do any real damage to the guy at all. Maybe because they are both Black Element? Which means the only one who can do any significnat damage is my powerhouse Karsh. Now thanks to reading stuff elsewhere I've discovered how useful Eagle Eye is but it's still not useful enough to let Karsh alone pull out a win while Lynx tries to keep both of them alive and Riddel is KO'ed.

I still managed to get him to his hurt animation! Once! After trying the fight over and over and over again for the last hour or so... I'm pretty sure i might be able to scrape a win if I just wasn't handicapped by Riddel being worthless.

EDIT:

So I noticed he countered every Element I used on him which led to my conclusion you are supposed to melee him to death. Only that isn't it. he counters everything so if you use a physical attack, he uses one too. Interesting... Almost makes the fight too easy when you know the trick of it.
Don't attempt Dario until you've stolen a Black Plate from the Black Dragon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not sure I ever beat Dario even in NG+ but then I'm terrible at RPG's I can't brute force by grinding.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Don't attempt Dario until you've stolen a Black Plate from the Black Dragon.

I can't get the Black Plate anyway. I wanted to do it but I missed a conversation that locked me out of the whole Marbule/demihum sidequest. As such, the Black Dragon was just sleeping when I walked up and got the Relic. No boss fight or chance to steal it.

I still beat Dario though. I felt it was kinda cheating however but after I lost so many times, i stopped caring.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NikkolasKing posted:

I can't get the Black Plate anyway. I wanted to do it but I missed a conversation that locked me out of the whole Marbule/demihum sidequest. As such, the Black Dragon was just sleeping when I walked up and got the Relic. No boss fight or chance to steal it.
I didn't know that was even possible :psyduck:

E: Does this mean you missed out on the save the whales demihumans concert? Laaaaame.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 7, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

I still beat Dario though. I felt it was kinda cheating however but after I lost so many times, i stopped caring.

I believe you can steal it from an elemental enemy in the final dungeon. Of course, by then, getting Dario's item is kind of useless, but...

quote:

E: Does this mean you missed out on the save the whales demihumans concert? Laaaaame.

That is like...the third best part of the game too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was apparently supposed to talk to Nikki before leaving the Zelbess but I didn't know that. Plus I was really anxious to just get the hell off that ship. I spent way too much time there thinking I could win against Fargo. Okay I figured it was rigged after I lost but I had no idea how to un-rig it. It never crossed my mind Sneff had to turn everyone into cats...

Ah well, I plan on doing a second playthrough anyway. I'll get Nikki in Termina this time at the start of the game. Actually, in my current run, the first time I have even seen him was on the Zelbess with Fargo. It all might have meant more if I had him in my party for most of the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Somehow not helping the demihumans locks you forever out of forging Rainbow equipment. Because yeah, that makes sense right? Zappa can't make his poo poo because of some stupid city completely unconnected to him?

loving game. I miss one goddam conversation and my entire endgame plan is shot. I don't care if I didn't need the stuff - it's the principle of the thing. I have never played an RPG where you are permanently locked out of obtaining the ultimate equipment for everyone because of one lousy sidequest.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
It's not even really a sidequest its a major section of the game. I'm shocked that it's even skippable, forget about missable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
For some reason, I vaguely recall exploiting some weird AI loop involving Starky, who always seems to crits him. I wanna say bring Riddel too and he just kinda stands there, maybe attacks so infrequently that you can easily outheal him? He's a tough fucker, sure, but I swear every time I played CC to that point, I was able to cheese him with a loadout similar to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought the whole thing was that when you lose to Fargo the first time, you're wagering your boat so you had to find a way to win in order to get off the Zelbess. Obviously you must not really lose the boat or else what NikkolasKing did wouldn't be possible but I remember that being the impetus to explore the rest of the ship and find out how to win.