Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Stux posted:

It's "borderlands" style stuff is better than borderlands, the gunplay is unbelievably better handling than borderlands, it has group matchmaking for instances, raids, full pvp modes, roaming players with world events etc.

The only thing that really makes it like borderlands is that it's an fps with loot and skills.

It also doesn't have borderlands grating style of comedy which is about a million pluses in its favour.

The full pvp mode seems interesting. I presume you can use your character with all your earned loot in those modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Siroc posted:

That's a ridiculous statement.

Didn't you just ask us what the difference is? He was right - it doesn't play literally anything at all like Borderlands. It's not a ridiculous statement at all. I'm not trying to diss you but when we say the difference is like night and day, we aren't exaggerating. I can't even say that if you liked Borderlands you'll like Destiny too. They're that different. It's like comparing Sonic to Mario.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Siroc posted:

The full pvp mode seems interesting. I presume you can use your character with all your earned loot in those modes.

Educate yourself

Read the first 2 posts. It tells you everything you need to know about the game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Siroc posted:

I'm pretty sure they normalize it in PVP to make it skill and not gear dependent

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
-Grenades are like a special power where it's on a timer and not a thing you can pick up/purchase.
-Level cap is 20 but your equipment can become higher leveled than that? I've never looked into it too much.
-You'll run into other people on the map quite often, and there are public events that can make you team up with them to take down a bigger enemy in a specific amount of time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess I'm just not a FPS junkie because I also think that its ridiculous to say that they play nothing alike. But then, this is the internet, extreme statements like that are the only way a lot of people know how to communicate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess I'm just not a FPS junkie because I also think that its ridiculous to say that they play nothing alike. But then, this is the internet, extreme statements like that are the only way a lot of people know how to communicate.

They really don't play anything alike aside from both being FPSes though. It isn't hyperbole at all. Their core mechanics and style of gunplay are not at all similar.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

They really don't play anything alike aside from both being FPSes though. It isn't hyperbole at all. Their core mechanics and style of gunplay are not at all similar.
They're both loot grabbing equipment messing with multiplayer four man party hub and spoke story-based scifi FPS RPGs. To me, that's a hell of a lot in common, and there aren't very many games like either one of those. Why can't they be considered together?

Again, I blame this on the ever-present hyperbole of the internet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

They're both loot grabbing equipment messing with multiplayer four man party hub and spoke story-based scifi FPS RPGs. To me, that's a hell of a lot in common, and there aren't very many games like either one of those. Why can't they be considered together?

Because liking one doesn't at all mean you'll like the other. Being a fan of Legend of Zelda doesn't mean you'll like Dark Souls even if they have surface similarities. The mechanics really are different.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Would anyone be able to recommend a nice pair of earphones with mic that I can use for voice chat? I'm finding headsets a bit bulky so earphones seem to be the way to go.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Would anyone be able to recommend a nice pair of earphones with mic that I can use for voice chat? I'm finding headsets a bit bulky so earphones seem to be the way to go.

The official Vita ones are cheap and decent enough.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Harlock posted:

I'm pretty sure they normalize it in PVP to make it skill and not gear dependent

In the normal modes, damage and armor values are normalized but not the special perks on higher quality gear or the stats that lower ability cooldowns. There is one mode that doesn't normalize gear and has full attack and defense values as well.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Borderlands is basically a fps version of diablo, Destiny is attempting to be a fps version of WoW. That alone is a huge difference.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know you're referring to me and some others, but it isn't hyperbole. Apples and oranges. Both fruit. :shrug:

We're basically playing a small game of 'spot the dude who didn't play the beta' here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I know you're referring to me and some others, but it isn't hyperbole. Apples and oranges. Both fruit. :shrug:

We're basically playing a small game of 'spot the dude who didn't play the beta' here.
I did play the beta, and the alpha. Not for all that long though, because they were pretty boring.

And apples and oranges are indeed both fruits, and as such I think its hyperbole to say that they have nothing in common.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Apples and oranges is a literal idiom used to describe two incomparable things and you're arguing with that. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :shobon:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Because liking one doesn't at all mean you'll like the other. Being a fan of Legend of Zelda doesn't mean you'll like Dark Souls even if they have surface similarities. The mechanics really are different.

Yeah sorry dude trying to contrast between two party and quest-based random loot online FPS games isn't quite the same as Legend of Zelda vs. Dark Souls.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I could understand thinking they look similar if you don't play them much. I think all side scrollers look like metroid. People who don't play games at all think all shooters are COD.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played both and I agree with you. FPS + classes + loot + leveling + coop is similar enough to me. They're clearly not the same game but the ideas are related. But I'm also not one to get hung up on specific sub genres of music or movies, either.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
It's me; I'm the guy who can't tell the difference in gunplay between Borderlands and Destiny.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Apples and oranges is a literal idiom used to describe two incomparable things and you're arguing with that. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :shobon:
I guess so. Our brains are designed to see differences in things more clearly than similarities, and I think it's the cause of a lot of the problems in our world, so I'm always trying recognize when it's happening.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Yeah sorry dude trying to contrast between two party and quest-based random loot online FPS games isn't quite the same as Legend of Zelda vs. Dark Souls.

Destiny loot is only randomized with crap greens and blues, once you start getting better loot it has set stats. This is like saying Counterstrike and Team Fortress are the same game because they are both team based shooters.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Samurai Sanders posted:

You and a monkey are both carbon-based sentient life-forms with opposable digits, problem solving skills, hair, nervous systems that respond to external stimuli, and reproduce through sexual activity with a member of the species from the opposite gender.

Yet calling you a monkey isn't true. Likewise, Borderlands having similarities to Destiny as you describe isn't terribly useful in comparison. Destiny is more about skill and level than gear, unlike Borderlands, similarly the social aspect of Destiny us much greater, since you can run across people randomly and join up while playing whatever. The settings are more like comparing Firefly and Star Wars. All major deviations that saying "it is like Borderlands" gloss over. More appropriate would be comparing it to The Old Republic or WoW, or Tabula Rasa.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I did play the beta, and the alpha. Not for all that long though, because they were pretty boring.

And apples and oranges are indeed both fruits, and as such I think its hyperbole to say that they have nothing in common.

They have things in common in that they are both FPSes and they are both going for a sort of RPG-esque feel, that is true.

However the method they go to approach that is extremely different. It is, as I said, like saying that both Dark Souls and Zelda are third-person dungeon exploration games. This is, on the surface, true but the method they use for going about it makes all but the surface comparisons kind of meaningless.

Borderlands is going for a lot more of a Diablo-style gameplay system. The actual gunplay in Borderlands is really low-effort point-and-click with generally limited mobility and a heavy emphasis on powers. This isn't a bad thing as it gives it a fun emphasis on mowing down enemies and increasingly fun and ridiculous usage of increasingly goofy power sets and weaponry.

Destiny, at least in the Beta, is a lot more comparable in design to an MMO compared to Borderlands Diablo-style design. In gunplay and combat design it has a lot more in common with Halo than Borderlands does. The gunplay has an increased focus on the actual mechanical aspects of FPS action compared to Borderlands which heavily downplays it. Destiny therefore ends up playing more like a FPS which has a loot-collection aspect compared to Borderlands. This is also probably why it can get away with having a heavy PVP focus where Borderlands doesn't.

This is not saying that A is superior to B. They are just very different takes on the same rough style of game.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Why not? Dark Souls and Zelda are both third-person action games where you adventure into dungeons and defeat powerful boss monsters while collecting new equipment.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It's like saying I'm gay because John Travolta and I both have dicks.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You and a monkey are both carbon-based sentient life-forms with opposable digits, problem solving skills, hair, nervous systems that respond to external stimuli, and reproduce through sexual activity with a member of the species from the opposite gender.

Yet calling you a monkey isn't true.

go on. ..

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess so. Our brains are designed to see differences in things more clearly than similarities, and I think it's the cause of a lot of the problems in our world, so I'm always trying recognize when it's happening.

We must fight to the death. This will get rid of the problem.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there alot of walking in Destiny? That's the one thing I hated about Borderlands; you always had to run everyweres and there was no auto run.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Is there alot of walking in Destiny? That's the one thing I hated about Borderlands; you always had to run everyweres and there was no auto run.

You can summon a speederbike thingy anywhere outside and you can replace it with better ones like a piece of equipment.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Holy poo poo people argue in this thread a lot.

I can't wait for Destiny. It's the most fun I've had playing a shooter in a long time. My opinion here, nothing revolutionary but it all just felt solid and well made.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

You can spawn a pretty cool fast little jet bike almost whenever you like.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

You can summon a sparrow at any time when you're outside.

It's pretty neat.

edit: gently caress this thread moves fast

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

You get a jetbike that you can summon at will for land travel and the ability to instantly return to the town hub without difficulty.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

You know the speed your guy moved in Gears of War when they got a comm message and put their hand to their earpiece? That's the fastest you can ever move in this game.

edit: everyone else is lying. Any speederbike screenshot is from a yet to be named Star Wars game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
There's a jet bike called the Sparrow you can spawn

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hah thanks guys. It was mostly the fact that you always had to be holding up to navigate a huge loving world but I guess a speeder bike helps.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

This is not saying that A is superior to B. They are just very different takes on the same rough style of game.

Why not? Dark Souls and Zelda are both third-person action games where you adventure into dungeons and defeat powerful boss monsters while collecting new equipment.
I feel neutral about most of what you said, but I had to address these two points. First, part of what I'm saying is that "rough style of game" is pretty rare, so I think they deserved to be considered together for that reason. Also, I can't say which is better because the beta of Destiny only felt like the tiniest sliver of the game to me. For how much money and time has been spent on it, it SHOULD be better, but I really can't tell yet. I'm sure the reviews will all be spectacular and uncritical, so I'm not holding out much hope for finding out by them.

As for the second, I also regard Zelda and Dark Souls as being pretty similar.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 8, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Broseph Brostar posted:

Destiny loot is only randomized with crap greens and blues, once you start getting better loot it has set stats.

Oh wow, really? I didn't play enough to notice that. Sounds like it'll be much less of a grind.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

Destiny loot is only randomized with crap greens and blues, once you start getting better loot it has set stats. This is like saying Counterstrike and Team Fortress are the same game because they are both team based shooters.

Except people aren't saying Destiny and Borderlands are 'the same game', and Counter Strike and Team Fortress are similar in that fashion, compared to, say, Wolfenstein: TNO, a game that really is truly different from any of those 4 others despite also being an fps.

Samurai Sanders posted:

First, part of what I'm saying is that "rough style of game" is pretty rare, so I think they deserved to be considered together for that reason.

Yeah, something I was thinking was that even if Destiny and Borderlands have multiple differences, can anyone give me an example of a game that's more similar to Destiny than Borderlands (or vice versa)?

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 8, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Except people aren't saying Destiny and Borderlands are 'the same game', and Counter Strike and Team Fortress are similar in that fashion, compared to, say, Wolfenstein: TNO, a game that really is truly different from any of those 4 others despite also being an fps.

True. Fortunately, you can spawn a jet bike to make traveling by foot a bit quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

As for the second, I also regard Zelda and Dark Souls as being pretty similar.

You will absolutely enrage both those games' communities with that. It's like a forum bomb. Be careful with it. post it post it post it

Meanwhile, a stream of the guy pressing X over and over on 'play Destiny'

• Locked thread