Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Seriously how hard is to make a good psychic class it's not like its an area that exactly lacking in cool and unique abilities. I think the problem is two fold, fist designers are suck on the idea that psionic+D&D = power points which stops them from giving those classes unique abilites that don't work with a power point system. Second a lot of psychics powers like messing with peoples minds or getting visions of the future or seeing distant places are things that wizards can already do in D&D, which makes it harder to give psionics a unique niche.

That was one nice thing about 4th edition psionics, they may have had horrible problems with later powers being actually being worse then just spamming your low levels powers, but at least they got some unique abilities.

Majuju posted:

Here's the best power in 4E:

From the 4th edition thread in a discussion of peoples favorite powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Arivia posted:

Yeah. One of the things that makes Gygaxian writing so Gygaxian - and in turn makes the 1e books so magical - was Gygax putting value judgments directly into the text. The fearsome MIND BLAST was one of those, and the illithid was basically the followthrough.
The names of the attack and defense modes were also quite evocative. I hope they come back into 5e in some way. You had Mind Blast, Id insinuation, Ego Whip, etc. etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ascendance posted:

The names of the attack and defense modes were also quite evocative. I hope they come back into 5e in some way. You had Mind Blast, Id insinuation, Ego Whip, etc. etc.

They were around in the 3.5 XPH as powers, but it wasn't quite the same.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Arivia posted:

They were around in the 3.5 XPH as powers, but it wasn't quite the same.
its because they became somewhat mediocre spells for the most part. Not the essential building blocks of your psionic character.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Agent Boogeyman posted:

I have a legitimate question (concern) for anyone in this thread who is running and/or is playing in a 5E game right now: How "House Rulesy" are your games currently or expected to be in the future? I had a rather distressing thought the other day that, considering how the core 3 haven't all even been released yet, there are already TONS of "How can we house rule this game to make it work better/fine tune it?" posts, and that entire mentality is what made me quit the 3E/3.5/PF scene in the first place. I really don't want a repeat of 3E/PF where not a single table I sit down at is actually playing by the same rules, or even by the rules at all. Over my fourteen year tenure at playing 3E/PF I can maybe count on one hand, out of the hundreds of games I played in with different GMs, the number that played RAW without some inane homebrew rules. From what I've seen I could likely, in good conscience, run 5E RAW and expect everyone at the table to actually have fun as well as enjoy running it myself, but I absolutely do not want to have to deal with having to work so hard for so little payoff to fix problems in the system that should have been addressed long before its launch. Do you think it'll become as bad as what happened with 3E? Please say no.

I'm running a 5e game pretty much following RAW and it's been a good time thus far. The kind of poo poo that I've had to "homebrew" is more magical items and rules for playing as monstrous races. As with most things in 5e, it's really up to the DM how much houseruling is necessary.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ascendance posted:

You had a tiny (2%?) chance of getting psionics, modified slightly by Wisdom, and possibly Intelligence. Then you would roll on a table to see how many of the attack and defense modes you would get, and you would roll for some major and minor powers. The powers were point driven, and had a % chance of working. They were totally unbalanced because if you had them, awesome. If you didnt, oh well.
There was a kit from Wizards and Rogues of the Realms where if you were from the Vilhon Reach you would automatically get a Wild Talent and I took that on a DMPC Wizard and legit ended up with hundreds of power points and disintegrate and all kinds of poo poo - this is a good example of 1) why Wild Talents were overpowered and 2) why friends don't let friends run DMPCs

Anyway I played my first game of 5e last week and it was a lot of fun; I'm playing a Necromancer Cult of the Dragon guy who thinks that all this Tiamat stuff is a load of bunk and we should go back to our roots of crazy shenanigans as laid out by Sammaster (pbuh)

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
How are you folks doing spell acquisition? We have not found many possible ways for our casters to find scrolls so far. We'll be hitting level 3 with none in sight. I think the DM forgot Wizards do not work like 4E.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
What's the best way to play a 'death knight' in 5e? Skeleton/undead minions, full armor, necromancy spells/powers, knightly virtue and the like, etc?

I've thought about a Paladin/Wizard multiclass but Fighter/Wizard might work out better. Hrm.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Ferrinus posted:

Remember, their original idea was to make psions, warlocks, sorcerers, and wizards all exponents of an archetypical "mage" super-class; they'd all access the same effects, but warlocks in small bites per-encounter, wizards in big bites per-day, psions by spending per-day power points, and so on. That's clearly still the plan.

And it's not a bad plan! Like, gently caress, what effect is there that psionics can produce and spellcasting can't, or vice versa? You'd just have a huge list of "Fireball, Psionic" and "Disintegrate, Psionic". Might as well cut to the chase. It doesn't even stop you from creating unique-to-method effects; here's a spell that only psions can cast, here's a spell that only wizards can cast.

There's a single master spell list, and different classes can touch different slices of it. That's how it works!

Yeah, if they're doing psionics 3e-style and not 4e-style or AD&D-style, making psions another kind of spellcaster is far superior to the halfassed incompatible-yet-identical way they went about distinguishing psionics from arcane magic in 3e.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Grim posted:

There was a kit from Wizards and Rogues of the Realms where if you were from the Vilhon Reach you would automatically get a Wild Talent and I took that on a DMPC Wizard and legit ended up with hundreds of power points and disintegrate and all kinds of poo poo - this is a good example of 1) why Wild Talents were overpowered and 2) why friends don't let friends run DMPCs
kits? Then we are talking about AD&D 2e, which had a totally different psionic system, essentially powered by skill or proficiency checks.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Strength of Many posted:

What's the best way to play a 'death knight' in 5e? Skeleton/undead minions, full armor, necromancy spells/powers, knightly virtue and the like, etc?

I've thought about a Paladin/Wizard multiclass but Fighter/Wizard might work out better. Hrm.
Both options are valid. Put your first level in Fighter so you get proficiency in Con saves and Heavy Armor, tho! With Paladin, its worth getting Paladin 2, because you will still get that level's worth of spell slots, and access to smites.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'd recommend being a full on Wizard and also a dwarf for medium armour - one feat away from heavy.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Slimnoid posted:

It's kind of telling that the only time D&D has ever done psionics in an interesting and fun manner was the 4e monk, and that didn't even use power points.
Monk isn't really a psionic class though. They dumped it into psionics after they realized that what they were doing was incredibly racist.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MadScientistWorking posted:

Monk isn't really a psionic class though.

That was my point :v:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

MadScientistWorking posted:

Monk isn't really a psionic class though. They dumped it into psionics after they realized that what they were doing was incredibly racist.

How had they written the monk before that change?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Slashrat posted:

How had they written the monk before that change?

Word is, the Monk and some other classes (Samurai, Wu Jen, etc.) were grouped under the 'Ki' power source. Then WotC realized that it was just "Asian: The Power Source" and collectively shrugged before launching the Monk into/under Psionic and leaving it there, while tossing the rest for other content that wasn't as racist.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The thing is, listing the monk as a psionic class was a genius move that single-handedly recontextualized the rest of psionics as something that could actually fit cleanly with knights and wizards.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Arivia posted:

Note that this was the same in 3e/Pathfinder, so don't pin it right on 5e. It's the same for pretty much any D&D edition that doesn't explicitly have psionics going on.

Pathfinder doesn't have psionics! :engleft:

quote:

Which is why it works, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, how hard would it be to make a Persona/Jojo Pact Warlock?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Could someone explain the concept of hit die and how they work when leveling? I found myself confused by the explanation in the PHB.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Do cantrips really scale with character level and not class level? That can't possibly be right.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ascendance posted:

kits? Then we are talking about AD&D 2e, which had a totally different psionic system, essentially powered by skill or proficiency checks.

2E used power points as well. It also had the random percentage of manifesting a wild talent (100% in Dark Sun).

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Radio Talmudist posted:

Could someone explain the concept of hit die and how they work when leveling? I found myself confused by the explanation in the PHB.

When you level up, you roll a single hit die of the appropriate type to your class, and your Con modifier. This adds to your existing hit points to determine your new maximum.

In addition, you keep the hit dice you've accumulated over your career as a self-healing mechanism. After a short rest you can spend one or more of them, add your Con modifier to each, and regain that many hit points.

Spent hit dice are recovered through long rests, which gives you half of them back, rounded down. (It's not explicitly stated that there's a minimum of 1, but unless you want 1st level characters to be unable to heal you'd do well to interpret things that way.)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Froghammer posted:

Do cantrips really scale with character level and not class level? That can't possibly be right.

IIRC, only damage-dealing cantrips scale, and they lag behind weapon damage that can be achieved at the same level. It's simply a way for them to remain relevant at high levels compared to utility cantrips, whether you are a pure wizard or a martial who just took a single-level dip.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 8, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Radio Talmudist posted:

Hit Dice* are like 4e's healing surges, only worse and also somehow more confusing.

You get an extra Hit Die every time you level up. When you level up, you roll your new Hit Die and get that many hit points added to your maxiumum hit points, or you can choose the average number listed in your class description (Page 18, PHB)

When you take a short rest, you can also "spend" one of your Hit Dice to get the die roll + your con mod back in hit points, as many times as you have unspent Hit Dice. Some of your Hit Dice recharge during a long rest. (Page 186, PHB).

*Apparently now short for "hit point dice".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 8, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So they're surges' little, less-useful brother? Does healing still consume them or are we back to limitless damage / infinite healing?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Healing spells do not consume your Hit Dice, presumably because ~~Magic can do anything~~.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, how hard would it be to make a Persona/Jojo Pact Warlock?

It's up to the DM.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

Healing spells do not consume your Hit Dice, presumably because ~~Magic can do anything~~.

Which is sad because healing surges were pretty amazing, so far as I can tell. Much better pacing mechanic than Vancian casting.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like 3.5 Psionics and I really love the idea of monks being Psionic. I wish PF or 5e had expanded on that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

When you were down to your last two surges, poo poo got real.

It's sad that they'd sort-of emulate them without regard / understanding their actual function within the game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

moths posted:

When you were down to your last two surges, poo poo got real.

It's sad that they'd sort-of emulate them without regard / understanding their actual function within the game.

5e.txt right here

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
Wait, you don't even get all your Hit Dice back on a Long Rest? :psyduck:

Was "spend twice as long waiting before you can adventure again" even a grog demand?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
So wait, with 3e multiclassing back in you could end up with a jumble of different hit dice, right?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Solid Jake posted:

Was "spend twice as long waiting before you can adventure again" even a grog demand?

A Long rest restores all hit points regardless of hit dice expenditure. You just can't spend your full set of hit dice during short rests every day. I can the see the point in it is a mechanic for having to consider more than just how to survive to the end of the day if your adventure is under time pressure. It is the closest this edition gets to the concept of long-term recovery from wounds.

ImpactVector posted:

So wait, with 3e multiclassing back in you could end up with a jumble of different hit dice, right?

Yes, the PHB points out tracking the number of each dice type.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 8, 2014

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Solid Jake posted:

You also heal to full on a long rest. I'm sure the grogs are frothing at the mouth over healing more than 2 HP for free.

I can't figure out why they made short rests an hour. If I didn't know that a bunch of abilities recharge after a short rest, I don't know what the situation is that I would have my character take such a long break in an obviously dangerous agitation like dungeon-crawling.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Slashrat posted:

Yes, the PHB points out tracking the number of each dice type.

Man there is always more and always psyduck.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I think every session of Next so far with my group someone has asked if the game has Second Wind or Rally. Then made a frowny face when told no. The DMs wife also quit the game. It was more than a little awkward.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
You could probably give everyone the Fighter's Second Wind without ruining anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

You also heal to full on a long rest. I'm sure the grogs are frothing at the mouth over healing more than 2 HP for free.

I can't figure out why they made short rests an hour. If I didn't know that a bunch of abilities recharge after a short rest, I don't know what the situation is that I would have my character take such a long break in an obviously dangerous agitation like dungeon-crawling.
Because grogs want the DM to decide whether or not you're able to get a short rest. For many grogs, forced gradual depletion of party resources is an intrinsic part of the D&D dungeon crawling experience.