Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
For Firedrinker Satyr if my opponent deal 6 damage to it do I take 6 damage or just 1?

edit: ill take the 6 damage :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
You take 6. While it only takes 1 damage to kill it, all six still hits it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Mardu is definitely setting itself up to be a midrange-control style deck. Brimaz, maybe wingmate roc, 1 or 2 Zurgo's, then 3 or 4 maindeck Anger of the Gods, perhaps an End All Hostilities. Elspeth and Sarkhan slot in pretty nicely as the walker/creature hybrid finishers. This deck is setting itself up as the best counter to any post-rotation G/x devotion strats.

Mardu charm is pretty much exactly what such a controlling build wants

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

C-Euro posted:

Would Brimaz be too greedy with WW? With that and Rabblemaster I could see a more attack-focused build where Purphoros damage let's you squeeze out the last few damage points. I might try to sketch something out when we see more of Khans.
Depends on how good the fixing is in Khans. Right now the only decent options are the Temples, the Painlainds and the Mardu Triland, and 2/3s of those come into play tapped.

EDIT: And Fetchlands.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 8, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

Not only that, the one-costing spells were all sorceries. Making something an instant, in general, is worth 0.5-1 mana, and those spells could have been 2 mana without anyone really batting an eye.

Funeral charm has instant speed one mana discard, but thats very old design.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I honestly think the best part of the Fetchlands being reprinted was that I get to hear various stories of people bitching about the "all the value I lost after they announced the reprint, I just wanted to quit right there" stories I got the hear the following Friday.

Dude. Like 6 people at our stores play Legacy, this is good for your format. :sigh:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What a great open in this Death & Taxes mirror:

Turn 1 - plains, Mother, go. Response is plains, go.
Turn 2 - miss land drop, mother, go. Response is Rishadan Port, go.

Nothing is happening at light speed here, folks!

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Chorocojo posted:

Now with image.

(All glory to the Mardu)

Am I reading it right that it's second mode to put tokens on the field don't allow them to attack the turn they come out so you either have to have a secondary haste-giving ability or bring them out on your opponent's turn and use them to block? I'm not very familiar with the standard meta but are there a lot of 1 toughness creatures that would be blocked?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boxman posted:

What a great open in this Death & Taxes mirror:

Turn 1 - plains, Mother, go. Response is plains, go.
Turn 2 - miss land drop, mother, go. Response is Rishadan Port, go.

Nothing is happening at light speed here, folks!

But the Serra Avenger!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Count Bleck posted:

But the Serra Avenger!

Yeah, given how dire that opening could have been I'm pretty pleased that the game is as interesting as it is.

Also, from last page:

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Hell yeah. Put that poo poo in a tube and sell it later on at some silly price because SCG's cutesy animal stuff is loving awful.

I agree on almost everything, but if you don't giggle at Wurm's jaunty little hat something is wrong with you.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Oraculum Animi posted:

Am I reading it right that it's second mode to put tokens on the field don't allow them to attack the turn they come out so you either have to have a secondary haste-giving ability or bring them out on your opponent's turn and use them to block? I'm not very familiar with the standard meta but are there a lot of 1 toughness creatures that would be blocked?

If rabble red stays around it will have a lot of 1 toughness creatures that can be killed by those tokens.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Froghammer posted:

Depends on how good the fixing is in Khans. Right now the only decent options are the Temples, the Painlainds and the Mardu Triland, and 2/3s of those come into play tapped.

EDIT: And Fetchlands.

3 color aggro decks probably run Mana Confluence, Painlands, Fetches.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Froghammer posted:

Bloodstained Mire isn't fixing in the dual land sense, but it helps too and is untapped.

Oraculum Animi posted:

Doesn't have to be 1 toughness. Stack them both on a 2 toughness creature and it dies in first strike too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Oraculum Animi posted:

You can also use them to double-block, so relevant 2-toughness creatures exist. Like Rabblemaster, for example.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Oraculum Animi posted:

Not a lot, but with first strike you can have them double-block an x/2 and survive.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Count Bleck posted:

I honestly think the best part of the Fetchlands being reprinted was that I get to hear various stories of people bitching about the "all the value I lost after they announced the reprint, I just wanted to quit right there" stories I got the hear the following Friday.

Dude. Like 6 people at our stores play Legacy, this is good for your format. :sigh:

:ssh: This is the tell that playing their format with people isn't actually what they want.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

:ssh: This is the tell that playing their format with people isn't actually what they want.

Yeah, I know, they want to retain their precious value. gently caress anybody who wants to play really cool cards like Time Vault or that one deck running Inkwell Leviathan as a Tinker Wincon.

This was an eventuality, not an impossibility.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bugsy posted:

Funeral charm has instant speed one mana discard, but thats very old design.

Yeah I wasn't clear, I meant from a power level perspective.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Count Bleck posted:

My brother and I love Legacy since most of our cards are old and thus we didn't have to buy into it like many others, so anything that could help get more people into the format is a good thing as far as we are concerned.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Goddamnit, will Wizards please spoil John Bear Puncher so I can be even more super excited for Temur?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Goddamnit, will Wizards please spoil John Bear Puncher so I can be even more super excited for Temur?

Probably in about 12 hours. :haw:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I for one am ecstatic that fetches are down in price, we already got one new guy at the store I play at because of the price drop!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

My store is full of relatively new players and all anyone's talking about is what Modern decks they want to build. Up until now I have been one of only two Modern players and this is great news. Another nearby store is closing and their Modern crowd is all migrating over as well. Today I went in to see what was up and two guys were tinkering around on Cockatrice (the store has a bunch of computers people can rent). I tinkered with one guy's BR vampires deck (in Dark Confidant and Kalastria Highborn, out Blade of the Bloodchief and Nighthawk).

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Is Mardu charm the first instant speed discard spell that doesn't leave the choice up to the opponent? We've had Funeral Charm and a few other random instants that let them choose what to discard, but I can't find any that give you any say in it. The other modes of the card allow you to deal with most reasonably sized creatures, so the noncreature condition isn't as bad as it otherwise would be for 3 mana. Still, I doubt it'll ever be worth playing over Thoughtseize as long as that's in standard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

Meanwhile, I've been saying: "Guess who gets to play with 4 OG fetchlands during release day." :smug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Is Mardu charm the first instant speed discard spell that doesn't leave the choice up to the opponent? We've had Funeral Charm and a few other random instants that let them choose what to discard, but I can't find any that give you any say in it. The other modes of the card allow you to deal with most reasonably sized creatures, so the noncreature condition isn't as bad as it otherwise would be for 3 mana. Still, I doubt it'll ever be worth playing over Thoughtseize as long as that's in standard.

The fact that you can do it during their draw step is exceedingly powerful. It's close to a time walk.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Foma posted:

I think Ashiok is criminally ignored. Hoping to see it a bit post rotation.

That's because its upside is entirely dependent on the opponents deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If I'm playing any kind of remotely aggro deck, I'm super happy to see my opponent tap out turn 3 for Ashiok.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

If I'm playing any kind of remotely aggro deck, I'm super happy to see my opponent tap out turn 3 for Ashiok.

It has literally no effect on the board whatsoever when it comes out. It doesn't even protect itself in a bad way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

That's because its upside is entirely dependent on the opponents deck.

It's only good vs certain matchups.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

It's only good vs certain matchups.

Even against those decks it literally doesn't do anything beyond some mill until the second turn. Maybe.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Vendilion Clique is similar despite not being discard per se. Obviously Clique is the subjectively stronger card in that you get the body and the hand disruption, and it's easier to cast, but that's the first comparison that occurred to me.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
edit: nevermind!

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 8, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

dat turtle!!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

dat turtle!!

b-but where does it go?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm pretty sure Polukranos is still a card that doesn't need to wait 3 turns to get an attack in.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I didn't know a top-down Giant Slow Turtle was missing from my life, but it was. It turns out it was.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Why would they bring back phasing :(

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure Polukranos is still a card that doesn't need to wait 3 turns to get an attack in.

People need to internalize the difference between good cards and sweet cards itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

dat turtle!!

That turtle is the coolest loving thing

• Locked thread