Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As a finish, the Main event sucked. But looking ahead, I felt Rock was better chasing the title and the program with Triple H was really fun, week to week with some great matches and great television (minus the Triple H hour long lectures).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The Backlash show a month later is what WM should have been in 2000. That show rules so much.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WM15 had a barn burner of a match between Austin and Rock but the rest of the show is best to be never mentioned or referenced ever again.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I know WM 9 has been brought up a lot but no one has mentioned that the goddamn Money Inc vs. Hogan/Beefcake match is just shy of 10 hours long and 9 of those hours is Beefcake playing face in peril but its really hard to muster a gently caress to give about Beefcake.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Ed Leslie has had a hundred gimmicks and I have cared about none of them.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
15 was really bad and 2000 was meh, but what made it worse for those two shows was that Backlash each year was so much better.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Does anyone else hate mania 29 as much as me? I didn't catch it live, this is seeing it for the first time a little over a year later. I was doing like a PPV double feature w my friend, we were gonna watch one good and one bad one. We MADE IT THROUGH new blood rising, then went "let's check out last year's mania" and were actually less entertained.

The Alberto Del Rio match is the highlight of the night. The rest is people trying really really hard and putting on good work for horrendous, Vince's idea of "safe" booking.

Also I've only been watching wrestling again since mania 30. Anything after invasion and before xxx never happened, right?

Under the vegetable fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 8, 2014

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Under the vegetable posted:

Does anyone else hate mania 29 as much as me? I didn't catch it live, this is seeing it for the first time a little over a year later. I was doing like a PPV double feature w my friend, we were gonna watch one good and one bad one. We MADE IT THROUGH new blood rising, then went "let's check out last year's mania" and were actually less entertained.

The general consensus was that it was a dog poo poo Mania with Punk vs. Taker as a lone bright spot.

Edit: I guess I should explain why it sucked. They were running behind schedule hard core so none of the matches got very much time. There were no promos or video packages, P Diddy performed for some reason, Brock was concussed at the beginning of his match and HHH was frost bitten from the liquid nitrogen during his entrance. Personally I couldn't muster up a care in the world for rock vs. Cena 2 so that match may have been OK. But most of the matches were heat less.

Strawberry Panda fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 8, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WM29 p.much summed up WWE's current business model: We'll put a bunch of matches up and wedge as much advertising in as possible.

COMMERCIALS. DURING A PPV. WHY AM I YELLING?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

coconono posted:

WHY AM I YELLING?

coconono posted:

COMMERCIALS. DURING A PPV.
That's as good a reason to yell as any. I'm amazed that we didn't get as many during XXX, because most people only paid them 9.99 for that show.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one let-down by WM29 aside from Punk/Taker which was really good. They were running really short on time which is why Jack Swagger didn't even get an entrance despite WWE paying for a huge-rear end ATV to cart him and Zeb Coulter to the ring (this is like WCW-level to pay for something and get no real use out of it). Then you had the dumb payoff to an even dumber storyline in "Cena had his worst year ever in 2012" by giving him the title for the millionth time and having The Rock raise THE CHAMPS hand ruining the amazing heat between the two that had everyone questioning if it was real because of how venomous Rock was to Cena.

Oh, and WWE didn't learn their lesson from last year and had big-rear end skyscrapers blocking the view of the ring for the crowd.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Neodoomium posted:

Ed Leslie has had a hundred gimmicks and I have cared about none of them.

I was very into Brutus the Barber in 1987-88. He did a cool high knee and then cut peoples hair off. That's entertainment right there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Two of the worst PPVs I have ever seen are Extreme Reunion aka Shane Douglas digs up ECW's corpse and beats it once again. The other is Starrcade 94. The main event was Hulk Hogan v Zodiac!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

was Extreme Reunion worse/better than Hardcore Homecoming?

Also looks like I gotta watch Starrcade 94 now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

coconono posted:

Its the show that had Raven coming out with a new flock and one member was Cripple H, and it ended up with Sandman beating the poo poo out of him. Every single match was complete poo poo and there was no enjoyment to be found in the show. It had chants of retire and refund.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

coconono posted:

Holy poo poo.

I looked up the match listing, and I had no idea WCW used Mr. T in 1994. The worst part is that they had Savage sitting, doing nothing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Red posted:

Holy poo poo.

I looked up the match listing, and I had no idea WCW used Mr. T in 1994. The worst part is that they had Savage sitting, doing nothing.

I don't think there really was any time for a build for a Savage match. This was still pre-Nitro, and WCW was still taping all its stuff well in advance.

Seriously, Savage had only been in WCW for like a month before Starrcade.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

I don't think there really was any time for a build for a Savage match. This was still pre-Nitro, and WCW was still taping all its stuff well in advance.

Seriously, Savage had only been in WCW for like a month before Starrcade.

Yet the had time to give Hogan a parade. They show clips of it during the show.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Having been at Mania 29, I mainly remember that the crowd was confused by the finish to Ryback/Henry, Jack Swagger's entrance was boss (so it not being on TV is just weird), then the crowd blew up so much for Punk/Taker that they wouldn't have had anything left even if Brock/Triple H didn't suck.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'm glad others think 12's main event was super boring. I remember as a kid thinking it was going to be this amazing thing and a few times I was so tired of it I even left the room and did something else. So it wasn't just me being a dumb kid it really was lame.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Two of the worst PPVs I have ever seen are Extreme Reunion aka Shane Douglas digs up ECW's corpse and beats it once again. The other is Starrcade 94. The main event was Hulk Hogan v Zodiac!

The Butcher, actually. One of The Three Faces of Fear, along with Avalanche and Kevin Sullivan. After this match Sullivan ran away into a jungle and found his father the Master and then the Dungeon happened.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
How many good Starrcades were there?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I liked 1997 a lot, though it would have been better if Hogan would have allowed himself to just lose.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

projecthalaxy posted:

I liked 1997 a lot, though it would have been better if Hogan would have allowed himself to just lose.

To elaborate: Hogan was meant to pin Sting and a super fast count was to occur so Bret could pop in, go "NO ONE SHALL BE SCREWED AS I WAS SCREWED!" and restart the match with Sting then winning. What happened instead was Hogan pinned Sting for a very clear and almost slow 3 count so the subsequent stuff made no sense.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
How have I read so many comments about Wrestlemania XI being the worst and not read a single one mentioning the main event being LT vs. Bam Bam Bigelow?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LightsGameraAction posted:

How have I read so many comments about Wrestlemania XI being the worst and not read a single one mentioning the main event being LT vs. Bam Bam Bigelow?

Because that match owned.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

That was the co-main, the main was Michaels vs Nash. Just like HHH vs Jericho was the main of X8, not Rock vs Hogan. People forget that because WWE wills it.

E: Actually, I checked and was wrong! Taylor vs Bam Bam went on last. Wowsers!

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 9, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

That was the co-main, the main was Michaels vs Nash. Just like HHH vs Jericho was the main of X8, not Rock vs Hogan. People forget that because WWE wills it.

E: Actually, I checked and was wrong! Taylor vs Bam Bam went on last. Wowsers!
No, people forget that because HHH/Jericho was a poo poo match and everyone was buying it for Rock/Hogan.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Because that match owned.

Yeah non-wrestlers tend to get poo poo on a lot for their matches, but LT really seemed to try his best. (same with Karl Malone and his WCW matches)

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 9, 2014

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This basically sums up New Blood Rising for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fslVUNDCJIU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Endorph posted:

No, people forget that because HHH/Jericho was a poo poo match and everyone was buying it for Rock/Hogan.

I wouldn't call it a poo poo match but it was a dumb mistake to have Rock/Hogan NOT as the main event because the crowd was so drained for the main event (even with a Women's Title match being the cooldown match in between). The same thing happened with HHH/Orton at WM25 (though that match had other problems as well) with the crowd being drained after Taker/HBK. People crap on Cena/Rock main-eventing WM28 and 29 but it made sense to just have those as the main events given what happened when WWE had their title in the main event.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
People are getting too hung up on what match goes on last. What's promoted as the show-selling match is more important.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Fag Boy Jim posted:

85 is my all time fave. By the time the main event hit, the mat looked like Jackson Pollock painting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The 80s ones are pretty good.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
e: I'm an idiot

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Justin Godscock posted:

I wouldn't call it a poo poo match but it was a dumb mistake to have Rock/Hogan NOT as the main event because the crowd was so drained for the main event (even with a Women's Title match being the cooldown match in between). The same thing happened with HHH/Orton at WM25 (though that match had other problems as well) with the crowd being drained after Taker/HBK. People crap on Cena/Rock main-eventing WM28 and 29 but it made sense to just have those as the main events given what happened when WWE had their title in the main event.

maybe I am wrong, but didn't Canada have limited access to WCW in the 90s? As in, the last time many Canadians saw Hogan regularly was when he was the Hulkster, and they were not fatigued of him the way many Americans were?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

81sidewinder posted:

maybe I am wrong, but didn't Canada have limited access to WCW in the 90s? As in, the last time many Canadians saw Hogan regularly was when he was the Hulkster, and they were not fatigued of him the way many Americans were?

I don't know about that, I live in Ontario and I grew up watching WCW Nitro around 96-98 period. Lots of Hollywood Hogan and nWo stuff.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

81sidewinder posted:

Nah, we had Nitro and Thunder on TBS up here for regular watching along with the Americans. It was RAW on TSN that was screwy because the CRTC (our FCC) censored the gently caress out of RAW taking out man-on-woman violence and anything too raunchy. I can't really explain why Canada goes nuts for Hogan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Montreal vetted Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hogan didn't screw Bret (in Montreal).

• Locked thread