Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Well, he's not Putrid Leech, but he's drat close, and regeneration is pretty huge.

quote:

dat turtle!!

Not that it matters, but...yes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

People need to internalize the difference between good cards and sweet cards itt.

I guess my flavor-bone would be more tickled if the card was an uncommon.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

dat turtle!!

I love both of these, I am way too hype for Khans right now.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That cat demon is a spicy little number. The ability to dump excess mana to win any combat is a pretty good set up on a bear.

Mortimer posted:

b-but where does it go?
The bulk rare box.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

The bulk rare box.

Yeah in real life, but in mechanics terms the turtle isn't "charging up an attack" because its a slow turtle. This turtle is pulling some goku instant transmission poo poo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
That turtle is really, really cool but even in limited I don't think I'd be very hyped to open one... 3 turns before it gets a swing in, which can be chumped assuming they don't control an island? Ouch. Maybe if it had reach I'd be a little more content to play it on the defense?

Also, when is the last time we've seen a non-blue creature with islandwalk? I haven't been playing for too long but it's seemed like they've been reserving -walk for same color hate for a few years now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I'm not sure I understand this guy's face.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
River boa? Lurking Crocodile? Only really green it seems lately.

Anyways yeah the card is just a big fat rear end but that's ok it's just stupid and cool.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

goferchan posted:

That turtle is really, really cool but even in limited I don't think I'd be very hyped to open one... 3 turns before it gets a swing in, which can be chumped assuming they don't control an island? Ouch. Maybe if it had reach I'd be a little more content to play it on the defense?

Also, when is the last time we've seen a non-blue creature with islandwalk? I haven't been playing for too long but it's seemed like they've been reserving -walk for same color hate for a few years now.

Yeah, its basically as bad as Swarmborn Giant from Journey into Nyx, except occupying your rare slot.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, its basically as bad as Swarmborn Giant from Journey into Nyx, except occupying your rare slot.

I am sure it's absolutely tragic that Wizards is printing a card that is Not For You

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

That turtle is cool as gently caress, and I'd probably pick it in limited. At worst it's a huge fatty that you leave at home to block things. If you end up being in a place to attack with him, great, but he's still cool.

Also I want him to sit his huge fat rear end right on the dragon throne and give awesome speeches to the rest of my team really, really slowly. This might even happen because I except most people won't pick either of those rares super highly, my own personal magical Christmas land incoming.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 8, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It is a little better, but that is an apt comparison. This guy rates a little higher simply because Islandwalk is more relevant in three color blocks, meaning he'll often be able to deal that crucial last 5, and a nine butt is a pretty solid blocker whereas Swarmborn just flopped in the situations where it couldn't block.

It is still really awful as a rare.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I wish the turtle were at common because it's sure as hell not constructed material and I'd love a chance to actually try it out in limited.

goferchan posted:

The most recent off-color landwalk I can think of is that UB with Forestwalk from DGM.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Does the Temur mechanic involve stuff like "When a creature with power >= 4 ETB, [thing]" or is it just "If you control a creature with power >= 4, [bonus]"? That turtle could be cool if there are any cards like the former in the set.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

ungulateman posted:

Well, he's not Putrid Leech, but he's drat close, and regeneration is pretty huge.

I'm thinking a smaller spiritmonger.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

homerlaw posted:

I'm thinking a smaller spiritmonger.

Meowntuko Shade :v:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

C-Euro posted:

Does the Temur mechanic involve stuff like "When a creature with power >= 4 ETB, [thing]" or is it just "If you control a creature with power >= 4, [bonus]"? That turtle could be cool if there are any cards like the former in the set.

As far as we know, it's just "If you control a creature with power >= 4, [bonus]", which is what distinguishes it from Naya 2: Naya Harder.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Meowntuko Shade :v:

Lotleth lolcat

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Eh, I'd still probably play the turtle in limited because ain't nothing getting past a 5/9. Still, with 20 more uncommons, you have to wonder what the gently caress they are putting in those slots. This set seems underpowered so far.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
generator servant into towershell might be neat

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

The turtle is for BUG Phenax mill guys.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That turtle holy poo poo.

I want them in my Green Devotion Deck.

Is that a reference to the legend of the turtle in the mists? That's really rad.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The only thing I don't like about the turtle is that since it's obviously Giant Slow Turtle: The Card, it should 1) have trample to represent its unstoppability and/or 2) have 14 toughness or some other giant stupid number that's fun to look at. Also, shroud.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Eh, I'd still probably play the turtle in limited because ain't nothing getting past a 5/9. Still, with 20 more uncommons, you have to wonder what the gently caress they are putting in those slots. This set seems underpowered so far.

2 welkin terns can get past it, and outpace it in damage

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zorak posted:

I am sure it's absolutely tragic that Wizards is printing a card that is Not For You

Whether its for me or not doesn't change the fact its not good. "Card is not for you" is just a nonsense thing Maro says to avoid criticism for poo poo like One with Nothing.

If they're gonna do cards that exist solely for people who enjoy the design aspect of reflecting how a really slow turtle would attack within MTG mechanics, I don't see why they can't be uncommon.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 8, 2014

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Whether its for me or not doesn't change the fact its not good. "Card is not for you" is just a nonsense thing Maro says to avoid criticism for poo poo like One with Nothing.

What? It's a giant, huge turtle. It may just be a Ferocity wall, but it might also win you a game with a second ETB trigger for other types of Ferocious effects. There's certainly effects that would make his self-exile interesting, and I don't think I would call even call him "bad" until we see what Temur looks like at common/uncommon.

Also, the card is sweet.

Angry Grimace posted:

If they're gonna do cards that exist solely for people who enjoy the design aspect of reflecting how a really slow turtle would attack within MTG mechanics, I don't see why they can't be uncommon.

Because it's an Islandwalking 5/9 for 5. You do have to jump through hoops to get damage through, but the body itself is still very powerful. They'd have to have made it a worse card.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

poo poo like One with Nothing.

One with Nothing probably would have seen at least some play in GY decks both in Theros and Innistrad/RTR standards :shrug:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Niton posted:

but it might also win you a game with a second ETB trigger for other types of Ferocious effects.

As far as we know, Ferocious is specifically "While you control a creature with 4+ power" effects. It's not like the Naya mechanic where it could be EtB triggers or take any number of other forms.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

As far as we know, Ferocious is specifically "While you control a creature with 4+ power" effects. It's not like the Naya mechanic where it could be EtB triggers or take any number of other forms.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

I assume you made an angry grimace when you saw the card spoiled

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mortimer posted:

One with Nothing probably would have seen at least some play in GY decks both in Theros and Innistrad/RTR standards :shrug:

iirc it didn't even see play in extended Dredge so I really doubt it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Doesn't say "Ferocious," does it? :smug:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niton posted:

What? It's a giant, huge turtle. It may just be a Ferocity wall, but it might also win you a game with a second ETB trigger for other types of Ferocious effects. There's certainly effects that would make his self-exile interesting, and I don't think I would call even call him "bad" until we see what Temur looks like at common/uncommon.

Also, the card is sweet.

Because it's an Islandwalking 5/9 for 5. You do have to jump through hoops to get damage through, but the body itself is still very powerful. They'd have to have made it a worse card.

I don't really understand why every card has a defense force. It's a decent blocker that can't attack half of the turns its out and can't block half the time because of the fact that you had to commmit to its attack the prior turn. Its not a good card at any rarity, and it has anti-synergy with Ferocious because it doesn't exist on the battlefield half the time.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

dat turtle!!

Oh good, they made Truefire Paladin a rare this time.

I love the design of that turtle but I don't think I want to play it. I guess it's a good wall.

Also Mardu Charm seems really good. It's relevant at almost every stage of the game, which is pretty cool.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

jesus dude, i can understand bitching up a storm when youre talking about competitive cards, but if you can't see that this turtle is loving awesome even if it will never see a constructed deck then maybe you are in this game for the wrong reasons.

jokes on you, this card is gonna be the lynchpin of phenax self-mill delve

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

jesus dude, i can understand bitching up a storm when youre talking about competitive cards, but if you can't see that this turtle is loving awesome even if it will never see a constructed deck then maybe you are in this game for the wrong reasons.

jokes on you, this card is gonna be the lynchpin of phenax self-mill delve

I wasn't even that down on the card, its that there's always an angry defense force if you say you don't think something is good. The mechanics of a slow-turtle are cute, sure.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope you guys who are really loving that turtle are as excited about it when you open 3 in your prerelease packs. I'm going to be the guy wishing it was an uncommon and getting a fetchland instead.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mortimer posted:

Yeah in real life, but in mechanics terms the turtle isn't "charging up an attack" because its a slow turtle. This turtle is pulling some goku instant transmission poo poo

It wanders right off the battlefield. It's meandering. It says so right on it!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Yeah man, why can't you appreciate the bad turtle and how much it enriches this card game?

E: V It's a good card but it's very, very far from being the best charm ever. Most of the Alara ones were very strong.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

That might be the best Charm ever printed, though. Seriously. God drat.

• Locked thread