Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I just finished running The Vault of Darom Madar in my Dark Sun game and my group had a lot of fun. It's primarily focused on travel and combat with a minimum of roleplay stuff, but the fights are generally good fun and pay off in the end.

After seeing how Dune Sea isn't really a fantastic module I've decided to take the training wheels off and let them run amok in pre-revolt Tyr. They're getting themselves in so much trouble already :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AXE COP posted:

The Frenzied Berserker paragon path for barbarians, while mostly irredeemable poop, had the most sick awesome level 20 daily I've ever seen in 4e:

MORTAL KOMBAT

The MOnk has a great one that's very similar, which basically isolates you and he from all the enemies until one of you dies. Circle of Battle I think. Final Confrontation combos amazingly with Aura defenders, clerics with Mighty Hew, anyone with immediates for attacking their allies, and any large non-mark hit penalties...

Disruptive Strike is probably the icon of 4e for me. It's a great power that all rangers keep for their entire career, and always remains useful.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's a good idea! I was planning on using some blank cards to give to players to write their powers down, but I think there's actual Power Cards you can print somewhere? That would be even better.

Character builder (both models) makes great power card pages.

Just remind them that if it's green, they don't have to flip it!

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Here's the best power in 4E:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Avengers have ample DUEL powers

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Majuju posted:

Here's the best power in 4E:

Yeah, Living Missile is probably the power that best fits its flavour and is very cool and is actually reasonably useful, and comes out right at level 1. I do like that one a lot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The other best 4e power is any Warlord power that lets everybody attack at once.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Sadly I haven't played as much 4th edition as I would like so I haven't had a chance to see them in action but I love the flavor and extra mobility of the warlord powers that grant your allies free charge attacks. Right from level one you have access to 3 awesome ones.

Race the arrow: Shoot a target and grants someone a free charge attack against it, sadly does no include rule for randomly choose which attack hits first.

Vengeance is Mine: if some fool hits you, you get to immediately hit them back and grants an ally a free charge against them to make sure they regret there decision.

And finally the mother of all low level charge granters, Lamb to the Slaughter: Bait an enemy into coming closer then grant up three free charge attacks to utterly ruin its day. Rather party comp dependent but incredibly hilarious.

Amusingly you can take all three as your starting powers and as long as you have enough people who want to be charging into people in your group, its not a terrible idea.

edit:

Really Pants posted:

The other best 4e power is any Warlord power that lets everybody attack at once.

Basically this, and best part is you can do it right from level one and it only get better from there.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 7, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Technically, neither a warlord thing or a power, but I did stuff to get it on my warlord anyway, Infernal Eye's Action Point thing is pretty cool. If any part of an attack made with an action point misses, you can basically say the attack never happened and get the action point and the power back. You can't spend the action point on that turn of course, but it basically guarantees your AP is useful.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trip report from running my first proper skill challenge, i.e. with no alternative rules and entirely as written, as part of a combat encounter: it was way cool and tense and everyone mentioned how much fun it was afterwards. They had to spot and close three negative energy conduits while zombies and skeletons were attacking, and they actually hosed it up on the very last one and accidentally summoned a wraith and still thought it was great. Will definitely do again, as often as I can get away with.

Trip report from designing and running my first homebrewed lair assault: it went okay. Took a long-rear end time and I never had the impression they had much cause to really feel threatened, largely because the THP factory paladin kept them trucking along quite nicely all the way through. They still enjoyed it for what it was, though. Will do again but only as a thing for very, very special occasions, and with ample preparation time both IC and OOC.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I could be wrong, but I believe Marauders is pretty much universally regarded as a bad adventure, both in fitting with Dark Sun theme/lore and as a bit of a combat slog fest.

Yes, yes, and kind of.

SO MANY MAGIC ITEMS GIVEN OUT IN THAT ADVENTURE FUUUUCK

edit: the combat could get annoying if you rush to them.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

I'm going to be starting a tabletop campaign quite soon and I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for a good battle map. Are the Chessex mats my best option, or is there a cheaper or better alternative?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aww drat. I bought Marauder for nothing then. :(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aww drat. I bought Marauder for nothing then. :(
Marauders has the most useful battle map of all time, though. It will be worth the money. I used it every other session for like a year.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

Marauders has the most useful battle map of all time, though. It will be worth the money. I used it every other session for like a year.

Yea that map is great you just gotta fold the bitch a lot and JUST the right way.

Please keep asking questions here cause I am running Dark Sun too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Herr Tog posted:

Yea that map is great you just gotta fold the bitch a lot and JUST the right way.

Please keep asking questions here cause I am running Dark Sun too.
I ran it for 2 years, until an overlong 5e playtest (and interest in a Zeitgeist campaign) killed its momentum. I'm happy to help, too.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

I ran it for 2 years, until an overlong 5e playtest (and interest in a Zeitgeist campaign) killed its momentum. I'm happy to help, too.

How far, level/story/affecting the world, did you group get?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Herr Tog posted:

How far, level/story/affecting the world, did you group get?
19th I think? We slowed down advancement dramatically once we hit Paragon.

I went way off-script eventually since one of my players wanted to "bring the gods back to Athas." I changed around the world's lore quite a bit, but it worked for us pretty well.

Capsule description: There used to be 'gods' - immensely powerful beast-headed giants linked to divine power sources - in the past, who defeated the primordial titans. After the gods sealed titans into eternal sleep with divine/psionic rituals, they were huge assholes to one another, mostly monomaniacal egotists who spent all their time throwing their worshippers at one another. The sorcerer-kings and Rajaat killed or imprisoned all the gods, locking away the source of their power, and then proceeded to be just as bad or maybe worse along with sucking the life out of the world and going all genocidal.

I adapted City Under the Silt Sea to 4e; the party headed underground and ruined Dregoth's other-planar invasion plan, but since the PCs had earlier killed off Abalach-Re (in an adaptation of Forest Maker), Raam was unguarded so Dregoth's zombie+dray army was sufficient. He used the city to power his Coruscation ritual, which made him a god, and also opened up the gates of the heavens so all the other gods started waking up.

Around that time, I also adapted Dragon's Crown, but made it so that the Order's leader went loopy and decided that, since the gods were back and all, everyone should worship them instead of pursuing psionics. But the psionatrix had the nasty side-effect of freeing the primordial titans, too, so everything went to poo poo.

We were maybe 6 months out from finishing the campaign; that's where we left it.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
The actual best power in 4e is any power with a name that you can bellow as you use it. (Which is yet another reason why Fighter and Warlord are the best classes in the game.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've got a player playing an Assassin and having fun with it generally, but I've noticed a trend. He'll put shrouds on an enemy over 2-3 rounds, and by the time he's getting ready to invoke the shrouds, that enemy will usually have joined the fray and another PC will have dropped it. Is that just the danger of playing an Assassin, should they coordinate better, or is there anything I could do, short of having shrouded enemies just stay out of trouble entirely?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

19th I think? We slowed down advancement dramatically once we hit Paragon.

I went way off-script eventually since one of my players wanted to "bring the gods back to Athas." I changed around the world's lore quite a bit, but it worked for us pretty well.

Capsule description: There used to be 'gods' - immensely powerful beast-headed giants linked to divine power sources - in the past, who defeated the primordial titans. After the gods sealed titans into eternal sleep with divine/psionic rituals, they were huge assholes to one another, mostly monomaniacal egotists who spent all their time throwing their worshippers at one another. The sorcerer-kings and Rajaat killed or imprisoned all the gods, locking away the source of their power, and then proceeded to be just as bad or maybe worse along with sucking the life out of the world and going all genocidal.

I adapted City Under the Silt Sea to 4e; the party headed underground and ruined Dregoth's other-planar invasion plan, but since the PCs had earlier killed off Abalach-Re (in an adaptation of Forest Maker), Raam was unguarded so Dregoth's zombie+dray army was sufficient. He used the city to power his Coruscation ritual, which made him a god, and also opened up the gates of the heavens so all the other gods started waking up.

Around that time, I also adapted Dragon's Crown, but made it so that the Order's leader went loopy and decided that, since the gods were back and all, everyone should worship them instead of pursuing psionics. But the psionatrix had the nasty side-effect of freeing the primordial titans, too, so everything went to poo poo.

We were maybe 6 months out from finishing the campaign; that's where we left it.

Sweet, I've been going since summer so we're only level 2. I would greatly appreciate your info on adapting City Under the Silt Sea as my group seems to be headed to going to War with all of Athas.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

AndItsAllGone posted:

I'm going to be starting a tabletop campaign quite soon and I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for a good battle map. Are the Chessex mats my best option, or is there a cheaper or better alternative?

They're the best compromise of cheap, easy-to-use, and versatile. Just make sure you clean them off after your sessions because the ink can get stain-y.

Alternately if you have a whiteboard you can very carefully mark it up at 1" intervals and use that. We did this once with custom-cut vinyl (1" square with like 1/16"? lines) and it worked well, left some gutter space for writing an initiative tracker.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gtrmp posted:

The actual best power in 4e is any power with a name that you can bellow as you use it. (Which is yet another reason why Fighter and Warlord are the best classes in the game.)

Our Fighter player would literally say, "I ring the dinner bell." :getin:

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

gtrmp posted:

Objection:Vicious Mockery. You never name that.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Your Glorious Sacrifice and Your Delicious Weakness are two of my favorite powers just because they're the biggest dick moves.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Reading Bloodsand Arena, it doesn't seem so bad. Characters get betrayed, they have to fight in the arena, etc. The +1 Flaming Greataxe seems a might random. I should be able to run it with a minimum of changes.

Speaking of magic items, I get that they should be rare in Athas. In the OP there's some talk about Inherent Bonuses to compensate the lack of magic items. How do those work? I don't quite get it from just reading the post. And would they be a good choice for a Dark Sun campaign?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Inherent bonuses are in the Dark Sun setting book. They're basically made for the setting. You'd have to look up the chart but it basically works out to "Hey, at X level, the math assumes you have a +Y weapon, so here, just have +Y and skip the weapon part." Obviously, magic weapons don't stack with your inherent bonus.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've got a player playing an Assassin and having fun with it generally, but I've noticed a trend. He'll put shrouds on an enemy over 2-3 rounds, and by the time he's getting ready to invoke the shrouds, that enemy will usually have joined the fray and another PC will have dropped it. Is that just the danger of playing an Assassin, should they coordinate better, or is there anything I could do, short of having shrouded enemies just stay out of trouble entirely?

That's why assassins are not very good! You could try to compensate by giving him the feat that makes placing shrouds an act that enemies don't notice, then giving him more opportunities to set them up out of combat. That way when a fight begins he can jump out of stealth and hit the shrouded guy for a massive alpha strike, which should both make him more useful and feel more like an actual assassin.

Of course then you have the problem of 'what does everyone else do while he's off faffing about in the shadows?'

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

gtrmp posted:

I've just started playing a Monk recently, and holy poo poo they have the best power names for yelling out in the middle of a combat.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, when one gal in our group rolled a monk everyone pretty much started calling out the moves like that red-haired dude in the Jackie Chan cartoon.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'm trying to convince one of my players to be DM for a short dungeonrun, just so that I can be a Barbarian. I don't care much for the power names - but every single Daily just sounds hilarious. You can be so angry you shoot lightning. Forget primal power source, I can do that just by being angry. I need to play that!

On the receiving end: Cleric dailys, holy poo poo :stare: The Cleric in the party unleashed Moment of Glory or something, which deals no damage; but it pushes back every enemy, and gives every ally in a huge radius resistance 5 (!!!) versus everything. Maintainable with just a minor, too. That thing just plain broke the encounter... That'll teach me to use lots of lower-level minions, I guess. I'm just glad the player didn't have that thing for any other battle that day...
In any case, it was just fine because the player got to yell "MOMENT OF GLORY" and I decided to play songs from Ensiferum.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

In any case, it was just fine because the player got to yell "MOMENT OF GLORY" and I decided to play songs from Ensiferum.

Scorpions.

:colbert:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Herr Tog posted:

Sweet, I've been going since summer so we're only level 2. I would greatly appreciate your info on adapting City Under the Silt Sea as my group seems to be headed to going to War with all of Athas.
I have a bunch of stats ready for low paragon. Mostly templars of Dregoth, but also the wall walkers and a few other things.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dwarf74/library/4e%20monsters?sort=3&page=1

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
My favorite powers are any that teleport a target. You can just designate a square straight up, they get a saving throw, and if they fail they fall prone AND take extra damage. Avengers get a lot of these, and I had a fantastic time playing one using "Tether of Light" which lets you teleport the guy you hit every time you hit them over and over.

I too have been running a Dark Sun game, and it's super fun mainly because the setting is so unique and gives you a lot to play with. The party just got to Level 2 despite there only being three actual combats. The rest of that exp was through ongoing skill challenges hidden in the background that spanned the entire first level of play. There was a LOT of work on the players' part to establish contacts in the city, so now they claim temporary residence at Rhey's Apothecary, are entry level members of the Veiled Alliance, are on pretty friendly terms with House Wavir and attracted the interest of Jossi the Juggler. They are currently investigating Evar's Storehouse for Rhey Khal, which will probably lead them directly to UnderTyr where things will get... scary. Should be fun.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Unfortunately you can't teleport people up:

May 2010 Errata posted:

Two-Dimensional: Forced movement is normally two-dimensional; all the squares of the movement must be on the same horizontal plane. Forced movement can become three-dimensional when the target is flying, is moved through a substance such as water, or is on a non-horizontal surface, such as an incline, that supports it. This means an earthbound target cannot normally be pushed to a square in the air, but a hovering target can be. Similarly, a target can be pulled down a flight of stairs, and it can be slid in any direction underwater.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 8, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's just forced movement, teleportation is separate and different from that and works as stated.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Huh! I never knew it didn't count. That's super strong.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 8, 2014

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
Teleporting is neither Push, Pull or Slide and doesn't count as Forced Movement. The Rules Compendium on page 211 even clarifies this and on page 213 describes what happens when you teleport a target to hindering terrain or a square that would cause it to fall. The target gets a saving throw. It passes, it doesn't get teleported. It fails, go hog wild.

E;f,b

Edit 2: And yeah, it makes for some pretty hillarious situations when it works. Still, it's essentially a coin flip if it does or not and Solos have less chance of shennanigans happening to them

Agent Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 8, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jack the Lad posted:

Huh! I never knew it didn't count. That's super strong.
It can be, but it's a risk. Unlike with forced movement, the Teleportee doesn't even fall prone on a save. There is a 55% chance you just wasted it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think I'm going to experiment with a houserule where characters have infinite healing surges and at the start of each encounter you draw half of your dailies (which are then effectively encounter powers). The idea is to make each encounter independent of the other encounters. Anyone tried something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

I'm trying to convince one of my players to be DM for a short dungeonrun, just so that I can be a Barbarian. I don't care much for the power names - but every single Daily just sounds hilarious. You can be so angry you shoot lightning. Forget primal power source, I can do that just by being angry. I need to play that!

On the receiving end: Cleric dailys, holy poo poo :stare: The Cleric in the party unleashed Moment of Glory or something, which deals no damage; but it pushes back every enemy, and gives every ally in a huge radius resistance 5 (!!!) versus everything. Maintainable with just a minor, too. That thing just plain broke the encounter... That'll teach me to use lots of lower-level minions, I guess. I'm just glad the player didn't have that thing for any other battle that day...

Moment of Glory's a bit small potatoes these days. It used to be an awesome power until like, mid-Paragon, but with MM3 damage values leading to shorter, bloodier fights, it's lost its lustre somewhat. Still good, but not a power you keep hold of forever. Best popped just before the fight, rather than during it.