Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

revolther posted:

Oh man the tizzy people got worked into defending their precious preorder is hilarious. It's a colorful borderlands without wacky guns, you shoot guys, they twitch, damage numbers pop over their heads; but where borderlands gameplay was kinda weighty and generic, destiny is floaty and generic. Instead of junky dune buggies it's slow speeder bikes. The exploration aspect is round outdoor arena areas freckled with audio logs in between lengths of corridor shooting.

Oh and the space ships used to travel from earth to the moon, those are loading screens...

It's Halo with grinding crappy gear drops of uninspired weapons, then like Diablo and Wow there are named sets of weaponry towards the higher levels for folks to sperg and raid over.

A lot of people here have all their eggs firmly in its basket. It should be hilarious to watch after Wednesday when most people will have plowed through all the game has to offer.

Ha ha ya man. One nice addition in Destiny is the use of a speeder bike, dubbed the 'Sparrow'. At almost any time, you can spawn one at the press of button. It's really fast. Ziiing zoooooom swooosh. Pretty cool imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Captain Oblivious posted:

Okay well, you're allowed to think that but please never give advice to people on what games to buy because I can't think of a single person that would be well served by that statement. You would, in fact, be essentially lying to them and I think that you would see that readily from the response of someone going into Dark Souls with only your statement to prepare them.

I've always thought of Dark Souls as what a true modern remake of the first Zelda would be. :shrug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Okay well, you're allowed to think that but please never give advice to people on what games to buy because I can't think of a single person that would be well served by that statement. You would, in fact, be essentially lying to them and I think that you would see that readily from the response of someone going into Dark Souls with only your statement to prepare them.
Well, that's not the ONLY thing I would say if I was recommending either of those games. I'd say they are both adventure/exploration games where you navigate confusing areas and fight monsters, and where your main character never says anything.

edit: I haven't played a Zelda game since Twilight Princess though, so I have no idea what it is like now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 8, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

revolther posted:

Oh man the tizzy people got worked into defending their precious preorder is hilarious. It's a colorful borderlands without wacky guns, you shoot guys, they twitch, damage numbers pop over their heads; but where borderlands gameplay was kinda weighty and generic, destiny is floaty and generic. Instead of junky dune buggies it's slow speeder bikes. The exploration aspect is round outdoor arena areas freckled with audio logs in between lengths of corridor shooting.

Oh and the space ships used to travel from earth to the moon, those are loading screens...

It's Halo with grinding crappy gear drops of uninspired weapons, then like Diablo and Wow there are named sets of weaponry towards the higher levels for folks to sperg and raid over.

A lot of people here have all their eggs firmly in its basket. It should be hilarious to watch after Wednesday when most people will have plowed through all the game has to offer.

Preorder cancelled

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, that's not the ONLY thing I would say if I was recommending either of those games. I'd say they are both adventure/exploration games where you navigate confusing areas and fight monsters, and where your main character never says anything.

So is Silent Hill (ok except for the silent protag)

Vv my point is that arbitrarily picking certain aspects of two games isn't enough to compare them. Or maybe it is, I dunno. I would think what's more important is what the experience feels like, which is completely different between Zelda and Silent Hill even though they too share some common characteristics.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 8, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

So is Silent Hill (ok except for the silent protag)
My memory of Silent Hill is shady but I don't remember there being any equipment as such, while that's a big part of Zelda and Souls. A better analogy would be with the older Resident Evil games (and Revelations, which was a return to that formula), except they are about shooting mostly, and have really long wordy cutscenes.

edit: vvv your analogies are terrible; racing is only one small part of Shenmue.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 8, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

revolther posted:

Holy poo poo thank you for telling me this. I never would have noticed that the game has loading screens.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

These are cool games that I would/did play. Throw a picture of the Sparrow, featured in Bungies new fps Destiny in there, and my friend you got yourself one heck of a spicy post.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

I've always thought of Dark Souls as what a true modern remake of the first Zelda would be. :shrug:

The first one felt like a nonshit modern Castlevania personally

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I haven't played a Zelda game since Twilight Princess though, so I have no idea what it is like now.

Why are you talking about Half Life and Half Life 2?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Well since its Destiny chat AND Ps4 chat here, i guess this is the perfect place to ask.

Have you guys had a good experience with preload speeds? I dont know how big destiny is, but I want to make sure that my mediocre internet speeds will get me through preloading games that have a 2 day window. Like Shadow of Mordor.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Samurai Sanders posted:

My memory of Silent Hill is shady but I don't remember there being any equipment as such, while that's a big part of Zelda and Souls. A better analogy would be with the older Resident Evil games (and Revelations, which was a return to that formula), except they are about shooting mostly, and have really long wordy cutscenes.

edit: vvv your analogies are terrible; racing is only one small part of Shenmue.

The early Silent Hill games did have equipment, yeah. I distinctly remember being really excited about picking up an item from SH2's hospital area - the pipe, maybe? Or possibly a hammer? - because it hit like a truck and let you oneshot the basic enemies from the area without being as slow as Pyramid Head's cleaver (which you get much later on.) You also picked up a small assortment of guns and just enough ammo to make it through the game if you were a little conservative with your guns.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Well, my mount was summoned anywhere on command in Destiny, how dare you compare the vehicle ownership at specifically located fast travel hubs borderlands 2 used!

revolther
May 27, 2008
That's where the other 300 million in development costs went. Slow hover bikes, and collectable loot loading screens.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

revolther posted:

Not going to lie I have to agree pretty much 100%, goons are pretty typical consumers on the lowest common denominator, as seen with Dwegy or whomever getting upset at buying poo poo with no return policy, 3 months after release and a known lovely overhyped typical ubisoft title. :goonsay: will never stop being amusing, 9 years running.

To be fair, I am a goon and have done a ton to defend poo poo titles or claim some lovely piece of entertainment is worth $60 of someone's time, so meh.

It's fun though, this is what videogames has become, neogaf style trashing while buying into the very medium we hate!

Too bad I couldn't talk about this game back in 2012 when I read the TDD and GDD while at ATVI. I just hope everyone gets their time and money out of it. ATVI sure as poo poo did and some, already, and the game isn't even out yet.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 8, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: 2 pages of people saying Destiny is nothing like Borderlands. I'm sorry but that's a load of crap. I'm not saying it's a knock off or anything but it's closer to Borderlands than any other game that's been released.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The load times in the alpha and beta were terrible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how people going "No, actually, here is how it is different" is met by frantic angry cries of "YOU ARE JUST BEING BLIND FANBOYS." That is totally a reasonable response and not at all the response of someone being kind of an rear end in a top hat on the internet about a game they, personally, are not interested in.

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: 2 pages of people saying Destiny is nothing like Borderlands. I'm sorry but that's a load of crap. I'm not saying it's a knock off or anything but it's closer to Borderlands than any other game that's been released.

As people have said, repeatedly, it is like Borderlands in that it is an FPS-RPG where you have loot drops. The core mechanics, situational design, and gunplay are significantly different. It may not interest you, personally, what the differences are but they are significant enough that the comparisons between the two end up feeling fairly shallow.

You can compare Devil May Cry and God of War as they're in roughly the same genre and are both action games where you beat up enemies to collect the red orbs they drop while gathering new weapons and fighting huge boss monsters. However their differences are significant enough that calling God of War "like DMC" is accurate only on a superficial and generally unimportant level.

I don't think Destiny is the NEW GOD OF GAMING. It is not, in fact, even the game I am most interested in this month. It just looks (and from the Beta, plays) like a fairly solid enjoyable shooter in a way that Borderlands did not nor attempted to.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 8, 2014

revolther
May 27, 2008
No, those load times were a simulation of long distance space commutes meant to solidify your emotional bond with THE TRAVELER.

Did you even buy the gold ship from the beta while it was available?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not calling anyone a blind fanboy but Destiny sure as hell felt a lot like Borderlands to me. If nothing else the core gameplay felt extremely similar since it's basically just plinking away at enemies while trying to get new poo poo to plink away at them faster. They are the only FPS that use the Diablo model as far as I know so drawing comparisons feels pretty natural.

ImpAtom posted:

As people have said, repeatedly, it is like Borderlands in that it is an FPS-RPG where you have loot drops. The core mechanics, situational design, and gunplay are significantly different. It may not interest you, personally, what the differences are but they are significant enough that the comparisons between the two end up feeling fairly shallow.

I completely disagree. I don't know what else to say I guess.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 8, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NESguerilla posted:

It's much more like Halo though, it feels like an evolution of Halo in MMO form. The actual base gameplay doesn't feel anything like Borderlands unless you're only considering that it's a shooter. There are similarities and a lot of shared features and aspects but the game is extremely Bungie and is 90% Bungie doing Bungie and 10% rpg shooter trends.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All of that Halo AI seems completely negated by the fact that all of the killing you are doing is stat based instead of skill based which pretty much made it feel exactly like Borderlands instead of Halo to me. It looks like Halo but really it doesn't matter. The game has totally different incentives and it changes the shooting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not calling anyone a blind fanboy but Destiny sure as hell felt a lot like Borderlands to me. If nothing else the core gameplay felt extremely similar since it's basically just plinking away at enemies while trying to get new poo poo to plink away at them faster. They are the only FPS that use the Diablo model as far as I know so drawing comparisons feels pretty natural.

Well, that is the thing. I said it earlier, but the core gameplay is honestly pretty different.

Borderlands was not a good shooter. It had extremely lower mobility on the player's part, fairly loose shooting mechanics, and a huge emphasis on the special powers and unique wacky attributes of guns. In terms of sheet loot collection and general "chill out and blow poo poo up while collecting shinies" design, it was probably better than Destiny was in the demo. (And I'd bet in the full version of the game.) The comparison to Diablo is both apt and reasonable as they share a lot of design decisions. This doesn't mean Borderlands is a bad game. It does what it is trying to do quite well, aside from maybe the humor. (And that's a matter of taste.)

Destiny is a significantly better shooter. It has loot drops but the are de-emphasized compared to the actual shooter gameplay which is a lot more robust and involved. It's basically Halo gameplay with some twists, there's no getting around that, but Halo gameplay (while flawed) has generally been solid stuff when not getting Halo 4'd up the rear end. The loot collection and world-exploration elements are taking a leaf right out of MMOs in both good and bad ways. The loot itself is more balanced and less interesting and more designed towards cooperative play and raids rather than the sheer "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" design of Borderlands.

You can compare them, in the same way that Zelda-style games are rare enough that you can compare Dark Souls and Zelda, but beyond the superficial comparisons or stuff like "I wish Zelda was more Dark-Soulsy" that always pops up in the Zelda thread, it isn't really a meaningful comparison.If someone said Dark Souls played nothing like Zelda, it wouldn't be met with "what, that's crazy, you're being blind!" It would be understood that them being in the same genre doesn't really mean they play the same even if they can be compared superficially.

NESguerilla posted:

All of that Halo AI seems completely negated by the fact that all of the killing you are doing is stat based instead of skill based which pretty much made it feel exactly like Borderlands instead of Halo to me. It looks like Halo but really it doesn't matter. The game has totally different incentives and it changes the shooting.

The shooting is significantly less stat based than Borderlands is with a higher emphasis on mechanical skill. (Tho', to be fair, it's still a console FPS.) It's also why it is more viable for a PvP-style of gameplay than Borderlands which kind of falls apart if you try to PvP.

I was not, personally, interested in Destiny before the Beta because I thought it was just going to be Borderlands with a Halo can of paint dumped over it. The mechanics differences between the two were huge and significant and what attracted me to the game because they didn't play anything alike. The entire reason I decided to pick it up is because it wasn't just Borderlands like I specifically expected. v:shobon:v

Edit: Also, I don't give the smallest poo poo about the plot which looks trite, uninteresting and laughably self-serious but I played through Diablo 3 and it's hard for a game to have a plot worse than that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 8, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

NESguerilla posted:

You can't make those numbers pop up if you can't hit a drat thing.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Hey man, my machine gun of +1 reload speed is totally different than that Vladoff 0.2 reload pistol I had. How dare you mix my number's games with my FPS magicks. Don't make me need to use my special Moon Wizard ability that is quite similar to that Siren's backhole crowd control ability.

This is like the one game Bobby Kotick bursts into the office saying, just let them do it, we have this CoD poo poo making us money hand over fist, making the next WoW x CoD might be in our best interest. WoW is losing steam, even with a new expansion and CoD maps are on the lowend for sales, why not drum up 6 years worth of revenue with constant expansions onto a halo x WoW formula, long term investment in time, means the character/gear matters, the consumer won't own anything since it is all online, tied to their psn/xbl acct and can't exactly be resold, or blackmarket sold a la D2/D3/WoW and we have them on a hook for any future expansions everyone who play's the game will just have to have, unless they want to be on old mp maps, 10 levels lower and poo poo gear!

:sharkcards: of marketing, I like it.

ImpAtom posted:

You can compare Devil May Cry and God of War as they're in roughly the same genre and are both action games where you beat up enemies to collect the red orbs they drop while gathering new weapons and fighting huge boss monsters. However their differences are significant enough that calling God of War "like DMC" is accurate only on a superficial and generally unimportant level.

By the way DMC is GoW just anime inspired hack and slash, no different in genre or ridiculous stupid story. Slight mechanical differences but if you want to compare that and make it apples and oranges I think any real gamer could do that between any 2 big name titles that share the same genre.

I don't want a diatribe on why BL and destiny are different, I know how they are different but that doesn't make destiny any less halo with an rpg + random loot fantasy with classes, not unlike BL. It might share more in line with halo mechanically and technically but that is because Bungie has been doing that loving poo poo for 13 goddamn years, I would hope they have generic alien sci-fi poo poo FPS down by now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The shooting is significantly less stat based than Borderlands is with a higher emphasis on mechanical skill. (Tho', to be fair, it's still a console FPS.) It's also why it is more viable for a PvP-style of gameplay than Borderlands which kind of falls apart if you try to PvP.

We must have just had different experiences with it because I disagree with most of what you said, but this especially. Destiny felt much more like plinking away at mobs whereas borderlands felt like it had more interesting encounters.

Imo the shooting in Borderlands is fun too. To me it was pretty much on par with Destiny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scyron posted:

By the way DMC is GoW just anime inspired hack and slash, no different in genre or ridiculous stupid story. Slight mechanical differences but if you want to compare that and make it apples and oranges I think any real gamer could do that between any 2 big name titles that share the same genre.

yes, truly the game released in 2001 was inspired by the game released by 2005. There's no serious mechanical differences between the two at all!

I don't care what 'real gamers' could do. The fact that you can't seem to grasp that two games can share a genre without playing significantly different is kind of ridiculous. There is a reason 'apples and oranges" is the thing you jump to. Both may be fruit but comparing them is specifically comparing two different things.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 8, 2014

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He means DMC, not devil may cry. There's a difference.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

echronorian posted:

He means DMC, not devil may cry. There's a difference.

Haven't we talked about this? There is absolutely no difference between videogames in the same genre/sub-genre. Might as well have bought two copies of GoW!

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

yes, truly the game released in 2001 was inspired by the game released by 2005.

No, but should I just say then DMC is the Dyantasy Warriors but with homoerotic characters, crappier gameplay?

Jesus it wasn't literal but if anyone who has played either game and wasn't a sperg over dates could understand the comparison.

edit;
Dunno if this helps or makes this stupid argument worse, but halo had numbers, like an RPG, for how much damage a weapon did to a player. I mean I don't want to call it an RPG but it used mathematics in the same way right?

How do I even know what a roguelike is next? Will my real time strategy game become a fastpace turn based game overnight? Next 2D fighter I play might end up throwing in random loot for my dress up doll, but will it really be a fighter, at that point?

Scyron fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scyron posted:

No, but should I just say then DMC is the Dyantasy Warriors but with homoerotic characters, crappier gameplay?

Jesus it wasn't literal but if anyone who has played either game and wasn't a sperg over dates could understand the comparison.

You could but it would be just as ridiculous. At some point superficial comparisons end up being ridiculous. Assassin's Creed is a game about running around, climbing and jumping on things, and hopping onto people's heads but that doesn't mean it's comparable to Mario. Borderlands and Destiny are closer in DNA than that hyperbolic comparison but still pretty different.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ularg posted:

Haven't we talked about this? There is absolutely no difference between videogames in the same genre/sub-genre. Might as well have bought two copies of GoW!

The main difference is neither feature the Sparrow, 2014 GOTY Destiny's on-the-go jet bike.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

yes, truly the game released in 2001 was inspired by the game released by 2005. There's no serious mechanical differences between the two at all!

I don't care what 'real gamers' could do. The fact that you can't seem to grasp that two games can share a genre without playing significantly different is kind of ridiculous.

You realize that this whole conversation was inspired by someone saying "You can't compare them they are nothing alike!" when someone compared it to Borderlands right? Just give it a rest. they are similar games.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Scyron posted:

Unless you mean DmC, this really isn't true and it'd be quite obvious to you if you knew both games. Maybe DMC 2 might be more readily compared to any given GoW, but that is a black sheep of the series anyway.

Also, to the question some pages past about how could a system of returning digital games at a whim be made non-abusable: I don't think it could be. If one could return any digitally bought game for a full refund it'd be abused, but - as laughable as it might be - I think tampering with a Trophy/Achievement systems might help? As in, if you returned the game, any trophies earned get revoked too. So far Sony does not seem too keen on the idea of allowing people remove the trophy lists installed on their console, but I doubt it's impossible and people really like their trophies. Then there's the idea of being able to resell digital version of the game just like a physical one, something the EU law is supposed to secure but it's hard. There are some options, but the problem lies with the will (or lack thereof) and the ability to implement them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

NESguerilla posted:

You realize that this whole conversation was inspired by someone saying "You can't compare them they are nothing alike!" when someone compared it to Borderlands right? Just give it a rest. they are similar games.

Not similar enough for comparisons to be useful. That's the point. Liking or disliking Borderlands is not a meaningful predictor of how you will feel about Destiny.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

NESguerilla posted:

They are similar in that they are both First person shooters with loot. The comparison pretty much ends there.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The point is that comparing it to borderlands is useful on giving someone an idea on what the game will be like on a surface level. Everything from movement and shooting mechanics, level design and progression system is different. But that shouldn't matter when giving a friend a quick elevator pitch on the game. If you think that is all there is to the two games and they are pretty much defined by that short comparison, then you are doing both Borderlands and Destiny a disservice at best, and you actually do not know a drat thing about either game at worst.

Even if it is, it is so much better than Borderlands 2, otherwise referred to as "Invisible-walllands".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My point is that you are all wrong. They are a lot alike. They aren't the same game but it's literally the same play more/get poo poo gameplay. I guess destiny has a bunch of people dancing in the hub world and takes itself super serious.

E: The side missions in Destiny are literally the worst I have ever seen in game. I have never played an MMO though so I don't know if that's par for the course. "get 10 packets of alien jizz (spawns a few enemies around you that you have already killed 5000 times, but now they drop alien jizz for the nest 3 minutes!)

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Not similar enough for comparisons to be useful. That's the point. Liking or disliking Borderlands is not a meaningful predictor of how you will feel about Destiny.

Captain oblivious you might not know that normal people say things like "Destiny is Borderlands and Halo" to their buds. But they do. Because it's true.

• Locked thread