Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Smoothrich posted:

How is anyone an idiot for not staying updated on ever in flux anime justice crusade terminology. It sounds like poo poo a ten year old would invent. The words are fads and how dare we not be informed ? gently caress you.

You don't see why if you want to complain about people using certain words, you should check if the words are being used first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Smoothrich posted:

How is anyone an idiot for not staying updated on ever in flux anime justice crusade terminology. It sounds like poo poo a ten year old would invent. The words are fads and how dare we not be informed ? gently caress you.

If you are gonna bitch about it, yeah you should probably keep up.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nintendo Kid posted:

You don't see why if you want to complain about people using certain words, you should check if the words are being used first?

Is demiromantic or demisexual still a thing?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
Yeah gently caress you rear end in a top hat, I want to pretend this right-wing meme that exists to be used by racists, etc, to attack anyone who calls their bullshit is an actual legit thing and not more pure BS that never existed outside of a few obscure blogs that got mocked out of existence years ago.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

One of them is loving Kirtaner bitching about how SA "harassed him"(read: banned him for being a pedo creep) in the past. Hahahahahaha.

hooooly gently caress that goes way back.

I remember the early 2000s when they had to invent Probation because like forty people got banned by the D&D mod at one time and the admins realized how bad things had gotten.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Half of the terms you listed have already died out everywhere but parody blogs that idiots like you still think are real, because basically all of them are fad terms that people use for about a year or two before they move on to something else.
No True Scot would ever call someone cishet scum.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

boom boom boom posted:

Is demiromantic or demisexual still a thing?

They seem to have all moved onto posting erotic fanfiction about Supernatural and the new Dr Who.

Miss-Bomarc posted:

No True Scot would ever call someone cishet scum.

Except people pretty much did stop doing it unironically years ago? It's like complaining that kids these days are so into N*Sync.

Like, there's still a couple weird people totally into N*Sync still I bet, but they're otherwise irrelevant.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm pretty sure people still say asexual.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Because asexuality is a legitimate thing that's even in the DSM-V?

EDIT: Not saying lots of Tumblr snowflakes don't claim to be it falsely, but asexuality is not made up.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 8, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So hold on are we discussing the conspiracy theory that angsty 15 year olds trying to be edgy on tumblr are, in fact, completely 100% serious in their views and if given the chance would commit genocide?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

So hold on are we discussing the conspiracy theory that angsty 15 year olds trying to be edgy on tumblr are, in fact, completely 100% serious in their views and if given the chance would commit genocide?

Everyone would commit genocide if given the chance. everyone

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SedanChair posted:

Everyone would commit genocide if given the chance. everyone

I'm just biding my time for my 1000-year reign of blood.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

So Trutherism finally came to australia , except in a sort of inverted version were now people think our idiot conservative primeminister hadn't renounced his british citizenship before entering parliment. (Sitting politicians can't have dual citizenship and Abbot was born in the UK, as was Julia Gillard)

(Hint: He did. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/proud-to-belong-as-an-australian-citizen/story-e6frerdf-1225886347266?nk=4f5bb8b2d2884f8ad812464964aab573 )

edit: Fixed bizaro iphone grammar.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 8, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

duck monster posted:

So Trutherism finally came to australia , except in a sort of inverted version where now people our idiot conservative primeminister prove her renounced his british citizenship before entering parliment. (Sitting politicians can't have dual citizenship and Abbot was born in the UK, as was Julia Gillard)

That's birtherism. Truthers were the Bush did 9/11 guys.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It was actually Obama. He is in the long con.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Vahakyla posted:

It was actually Obama. He is in the long con.

We never found the bodies of the hijackers... :tinfoil:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "birther" movement has to be the worst conspiracy because there is literally no other reason behind it than racism. He's black and doesn't have an "American" name so obviously he isn't American. Of course it wouldn't even matter if he actually was born in Kenya because his mother was an American citizen.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well the whole "natural born citizen" part is tricky because it's ill-defined. Theres a couple different arguments about what it means but so far its been irrelevant because every one whos been elected to date has been born on US soil. Had John McCain been elected it would have possibly been a debate since he was born in Panama (but on a US army base).

It's totally true that it's racism though because HAD John McCain been elected the same fuss would not have been raised.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Well, McCain's saving grace is that law was signed in prior to his birth that US bases count as American Territory no matter where they are, same as US Embassies. Basically all territory under Federal control (including naval ships) are US territory.
Obama they went after because a foreign sounding name and he's black and he's Democrat and he talks sense instead of fruit loopy Dubya war war war means he must be a dirty foreigner despite all the records saying otherwise. I personally think it's the Republican loons trying to cope with a loss more than racism, the racism angle just pops up because these people are morons and the best slam they can come up with is "hurr hurr dirty arab friend of the family". Kinda like when morons try to insult the UK and mention WWI and WWII being the US saving their asses, insulting Germans with some slam about Nazis, and bitching about Jews being money hungry, hook nosed bastards and concentration camps.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

SocketWrench posted:

Well, McCain's saving grace is that law was signed in prior to his birth that US bases count as American Territory no matter where they are, same as US Embassies. Basically all territory under Federal control (including naval ships) are US territory.

He has at least one American parent, the law had no effect on his eligibility.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

True, which kind of further shoots the birther thing in the head

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

SocketWrench posted:

Obama they went after because a foreign sounding name and he's black and he's Democrat and he talks sense instead of fruit loopy Dubya war war war means he must be a dirty foreigner despite all the records saying otherwise. I personally think it's the Republican loons trying to cope with a loss more than racism, the racism angle just pops up because these people are morons and the best slam they can come up with is "hurr hurr dirty arab friend of the family". Kinda like when morons try to insult the UK and mention WWI and WWII being the US saving their asses, insulting Germans with some slam about Nazis, and bitching about Jews being money hungry, hook nosed bastards and concentration camps.

Alternatively, it could just be racism. In which case you would be apologizing for racism.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

muscles like this? posted:

The "birther" movement has to be the worst conspiracy because there is literally no other reason behind it than racism. He's black and doesn't have an "American" name so obviously he isn't American. Of course it wouldn't even matter if he actually was born in Kenya because his mother was an American citizen.

Yes but it is about the most clever way for them to pretend they're not racist that I could think of.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

The type of SJW that actually identifies as such
don't exist because it's a pejorative term invented by other people?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Sir Tonk posted:

Yes but it is about the most clever way for them to pretend they're not racist that I could think of.

How is it a clever way to pretend not to be racist when the only reason to believe in birtherism is racism?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

moller posted:

That's birtherism. Truthers were the Bush did 9/11 guys.

Er yeah thats what I mean :/

Either way, its loving weird.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Obdicut posted:

How is it a clever way to pretend not to be racist when the only reason to believe in birtherism is racism?

Because it's not everyone that's in it is fully racist in terms of him being black. I can fully see my Dad buying into it because it's Democrat not doing what he likes. It's the kind of mentality I bought into when I was a raging Truther. His friends that likely convinced him - probably some are racist, though.
However being against him because "he's Muslim" as well is what makes my father bigoted against Obama

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Even with one American parent (or grandparent), foreign born people would still have to get naturalized to have citizenship, and therefore arguably not a "natural born citizen".
edit: Assuming certain exceptions don't apply.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Jim posted:

Because it's not everyone that's in it is fully racist in terms of him being black. I can fully see my Dad buying into it because it's Democrat not doing what he likes. It's the kind of mentality I bought into when I was a raging Truther. His friends that likely convinced him - probably some are racist, though.
However being against him because "he's Muslim" as well is what makes my father bigoted against Obama

While you don't necessarily have to be racist to believe in Birtherism, it is inherently racist as the fundamental assumption is that Obama is somehow unamerican.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Popular Thug Drink posted:

While you don't necessarily have to be racist to believe in Birtherism, it is inherently racist as the fundamental assumption is that Obama is somehow unamerican.

Even if people who don't internally realize this as racism, it's at the very least tribalism and turning the leader of the US into an "other."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Obdicut posted:

It's dog whistle racism. Everyone knows that it's based in racism, even the birthers, but actually call them out on it and you can expect an earful about how you're the true racist

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

twodot posted:

Even with one American parent (or grandparent), foreign born people would still have to get naturalized to have citizenship, and therefore arguably not a "natural born citizen".
edit: Assuming certain exceptions don't apply.
It's far more complicated than you're implying.

Citizenship is granted at birth with no naturalization for the following:

-Anyone born inside the United States. The person must be “subject to the jurisdiction” of the United States. (This would exempt the child of a diplomat, for example, from this provision.)
-Any Native tribe member (Indian or Eskimo in the law's language) born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person’s status as a citizen of the tribe (no tribes currently block U.S. citizens from being members)
-Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S. for any length of time
-Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
-Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year
-Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
-Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
-Any one born outside the United states if the person’s parents were married at the time of birth, one of the person’s parents was a U.S. citizen when the person was born, the citizen parent lived at least ten years in the United States before the child’s birth; a minimum of 5 of these 10 years in the United States were after the citizen parent’s 14th birthday.

US military bases, naval vessels, and embassies are considered US territory for this as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

QuarkJets posted:

It's dog whistle racism. Everyone knows that it's based in racism, even the birthers, but actually call them out on it and you can expect an earful about how you're the true racist

Just ask them if Ted Cruz is eligible to be president. If they say yes ask them to explain why, when Cruz and his family are very open about him being born in Canada, and that one of his parents is Cuban.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hodgepodge posted:

Alternatively, it could just be racism. In which case you would be apologizing for racism.

I'm not trying to apologize, I'm trying to make sense out of it given the history of conservative nutjobs. I do admit they are racist. But they are also insanely anti-democrat. Hell, look how they treated Clinton and he was plenty white.

How come people like you demand a hard line stance on poo poo? you either have to be this or you are that, there are no shades between.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

SocketWrench posted:

I'm not trying to apologize, I'm trying to make sense out of it given the history of conservative nutjobs. I do admit they are racist. But they are also insanely anti-democrat. Hell, look how they treated Clinton and he was plenty white.

How come people like you demand a hard line stance on poo poo? you either have to be this or you are that, there are no shades between.

Because you're quite eager to find some way to say that it isn't "just" racism, or to find something that makes it about something else. Changing the topic and grasping for more comfortable explanations for racist behaviour isn't the same thing as nuance.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

So you seem to be saying "yes they're racist but they're also other things!" Yes good job, but that's meaningless. Birtherism is racism, only.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
That's fine, think whatever you like.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

A friend of mine, who used to be the melbourne rep of FightDemBack (Australian anti-fascist group), wrote this piece for the Guardian

He basically pranked the gently caress out of the Australian version of the birthers.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/09/show-us-your-citizenship-why-the-tony-abbott-birthers-want-to-believe

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SocketWrench posted:

That's fine, think whatever you like.

No, you also have to think it or you're complicit in their racism. Don't give human scum a pass.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I won't. Because honestly, no matter who it was, even the whitest of white people with the same background, the same poo poo would be going down as is now because conservatives are mostly hosed in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SocketWrench posted:

I won't. Because honestly, no matter who it was, even the whitest of white people with the same background, the same poo poo would be going down as is now because conservatives are mostly hosed in the head.

Except it doesn't (see: Ted Cruz).

• Locked thread