Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Im_Special posted:

All my addons except for Enhanced Steam came from addons.mozilla.org, and astral is also right in that it shouldn't matter either way. Anyway it seems like others in this thread are have the same problem so maybe it's just a bug on Mozilla's end, might be wise to manually check your installed addons to see if any are outdated. A quickish way to check is in Firefox's addon page right click the addon and go to 'About' then 'Visit Home Page' or whatever.
For what it's worth I did confirm that all of my add-ons are updating as expected on Firefox 31 at work, including those not hosted on AMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

astral posted:

Please don't spread misinformation. In an extension's install manifest, you would specify an updateURL to do just that.

Wow. I am very wrong. Sorry about that.

http://www.borngeek.com/firefox/automatic-firefox-extension-updates/

"Begining with Firefox 3". :eek:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
To be fair, many off-AMO extensions end up letting the auto update url not work at all or work for a time and then they stop controlling whatever domain it was on. So it's easy to assume they won't work.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
NoScript v2.6.8.39 released today, Firefox not picking up the update sitting on v2.6.8.38. :negative:

Any idea where the settings are stored for this kind of thing, maybe mine is corrupted. I've tried renaming addon.json and extensions.json in my profile and making anew but the update for NoScript still doesn't pick up, also in about:config both app.update.enabled and extensions.update.enabled settings are set to true.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

I've heard that native "toaster" notifications were added in a recent version of Firefox, but they don't seem to be popping up for gmail hangout messages, even though the "notifications" option is checked in the hangout settings. Is there somewhere I need to enable them? I used to use this but it doesn't appear to work, either.

Turns out this wasn't a firefox issue - I had left gmail open on my work computer, so it was receiving the notifications instead of my home computer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
New New Tab page in Firefox 33 (on the Aurora channel at the moment):

More thumbnails to take up more space on widescreen monitors, which is nice. This is where the ads are going soon, isn't it?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Huh. My noscript is on 37rc2 and Aurora claims it updated yesterday. Just forced an update, and I'll have to keep an eye on it.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Relevant bugzilla for addon updating: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1058643
mozillaZine thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=13734323

[EDIT]: Looks like an AMO update might be to blame for addons not upgrading: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1058682

jink fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 28, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I'm trying to find that utility which automatically strips out unwanted locales from extension xpi files to shrink them and reduce memory footprint. You can do it manually but it's a faff.

Anyone got the link? It's a Korean utility which isn't making finding it easy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do unused locales ever get loaded? I'm surprised, that would be a lot of extra strings loaded in Firefox proper.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

I'm trying to find that utility which automatically strips out unwanted locales from extension xpi files to shrink them and reduce memory footprint. You can do it manually but it's a faff.

Anyone got the link? It's a Korean utility which isn't making finding it easy.

Took 15minutes to re-find the post

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3431449&perpage=40&pagenumber=57#post412165292

http://www.techgravy.net/tip-speed-up-firefox-and-decrease-page-loading-time/

website it's posted on

http://forum.moztw.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30196&start=0

And direct download

DelFxExtLocal
http://forum.moztw.org/download/file.php?id=11938

Required 7zip
http://forum.moztw.org/download/file.php?id=11337

NVB fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 29, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Hmm. I think there's something up with recent versions of Noscript and my install of Aurora: I installed it about a week ago, after a very long lapse, and Aurora balloons from a modest 400 megs of allocated RAM to upwards of a gig in less than a day.

RAM is meant to be used, I know, but the troubleshooting tab suggests most of it's going to javascript and not coming out, and it's ultimately affecting browser performance and stability.

Oh well. Cost of riding the knife handle, I guess.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Does Firefox have any working addons to bypass youtube age checks? That awful Google+ down my throat won't fly if possible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GuyUpNorth posted:

Does Firefox have any working addons to bypass youtube age checks? That awful Google+ down my throat won't fly if possible.

What's your problem with using a Google account?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Straight paranoia. And logging in everytime I want to watch them is plain tedious.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'd just make a new Google+ account and have it only link to your Youtube. That way you don't have to use your real accounts. I did that so Youtube would stop hounding me to link my actual Google accounts and I don't even need to mess with the Google+ side.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

You're looking for Ageless. I haven't used it, and it only has two reviews.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
You can also just manually disable the Age thing with a tiny URL change shown here. http://www.wikihow.com/Bypass-Age-Restrictions-on-YouTube-Videos

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

I posted the details in your first link :laffo:

I'm a failure of a human being

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there anything like the Fancy SA Forums extension for chrome that works on firefox? All the ones I find on google firefox throws a wobbly about them being incompatible. I wouldn't normally mind but the chrome extension has spoiled me with not having to move my eyes across my entire 27 inch monitor to look at how many new posts there are etc

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

Is there anything like the Fancy SA Forums extension for chrome that works on firefox? All the ones I find on google firefox throws a wobbly about them being incompatible. I wouldn't normally mind but the chrome extension has spoiled me with not having to move my eyes across my entire 27 inch monitor to look at how many new posts there are etc

Apparently goon "Kapinga" maintains a Firefox version, though the one on the Mozilla Addons Directory is outdated for my version of Firefox.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

After updating to 32, I'm suddenly getting this "More tools" button to the right of the Firefox menu button.

It opens an empty menu, and I'd like to get rid of it, but it disappears in "Customize" mode. Any thoughts?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Knormal posted:

I'm on Firefox 31 on Linux, and for the last month or so the upload files function on imgur hasn't worked. Clicking the "browse your computer" option, which used to pop up a file selection dialog box, does nothing, and if I try the drag-and-drop option it shows a thumbnail of the image but then fails when I try to start the actual upload. Other web interfaces with file upload dialog boxes (i.e the WiFi File Explorer page my phone generates) continue to work fine.

I tried a new profile and that made the file selection dialog work again, so it's something in my profile, but I really don't want to have to recreate my profile from scratch just for this. The problem still happens if I start in safe mode, so I don't think it's an add-on. Trying to Google the problem just brings up a bunch of results for imgur add-ons which I don't want to install. Anyone have any ideas?
If anyone else ever encounters this problem I finally figured it out after it started happening to me on Google Drive. Imgur whatever, but I need Drive to work. Apparently the pop-up blocker functionality was silently blocking the file selection pop-up, when I enabled pop-ups for the sites in about :permissions it started working again. I dug a little further and discovered that a long time ago I had blanked out the dom.popup_allowed_events option in about :config in order to try to be stricter against pop-ups, and that's what was preventing the file selection window from appearing. Once I restored that option to the default everything worked again even if pop-ups were blocked on the site in about :permissions.

Also am I the only one who didn't know about about :about? There's a lot more about : pages then I thought.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
You should try about:robots sometime.

Edit: And I should read closer! Hey, that's handy.

But about:robots is still worth the price of admission.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I don't think I've had an addon break since I switched to palemoon because they don't trickle down every stupid firefox update or pointlessly remove longstanding features just because it happened in today's firefox patch

Read
Dec 21, 2010

gggiiimmmppp posted:

pointlessly remove longstanding features

Has this happened? What features?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Read posted:

Has this happened? What features?
Status bar
Customization navigation buttons
Granular Javascript control (i.e. being able to disable status text replacement without disabling Javascript entirely)
The status bar again (the "add-on bar" this time)
Customizing what shows when you open a new tab (you can make it blank with an about :config option, but you used to be able to make it load your homepage or any other page)

Probably more, but those are the ones I can remember.

Edit: The throbber

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
I just updated to 32 and the Gmail Manager addon I use no longer works. Is there a recommended addon that lets me check my gmail account from within firefox, preferably one that lets me move it to the Classic Theme Restorer addon bar?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
No idea what that is but I did noticed this in one of the the changelogs for Classic Theme Restorer, so maybe try one of their beta's or look up Gmail Manager NG.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
From what I've gathered Gmail Manager NG is just a fork of the addon I was using, and from the reviews on its AMO page it seems to be just as broken in 32.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trump Card posted:

I just updated to 32 and the Gmail Manager addon I use no longer works. Is there a recommended addon that lets me check my gmail account from within firefox, preferably one that lets me move it to the Classic Theme Restorer addon bar?

I've found X-Notifier to work really well.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Gerudo Rivera posted:

After updating to 32, I'm suddenly getting this "More tools" button to the right of the Firefox menu button.

It opens an empty menu, and I'd like to get rid of it, but it disappears in "Customize" mode. Any thoughts?

This was apparently related to CTR, according to this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=953067

Using "Restore Defaults" in Customize view got rid of the weird empty "more tools" overflow button, and I just had to rearrange my icons again. HOPE THIS HELPS

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Why is there a popup blocker icon perpetually in my address bar now? Is this something one of my weird addons did?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xamphear posted:

Why is there a popup blocker icon perpetually in my address bar now? Is this something one of my weird addons did?

Yes, that or something is borked and you need a clean profile.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

xamphear posted:

I had it. Quitting and relaunching seemed to fix.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Just updated to Firefox 33 and the tabs bar gets corrupted every time I open a new tab (that isn't a blank tab) :toot:
At least it fixes itself quickly, I guess.
edit: And whenever I move left or right on the tab bar
edit: the BSODs I'm getting suggest this is a GPU issue

xamphear posted:

I had this for a while and at some point it went away. Just ignore it.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 8, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I remove a domain from the suggestions in the URL bar if it doesn't show up in the list? I often go to a domain for my school that starts with fa, but when I go there, I type the course number, which brings up the right URL. However, I've gone there so many times recently that when I want to go to facebook, the URL bar brings up the other one first, so I can't just type fa and hit enter. I know that normally I'd highlight the offending entry and hit delete, but when the entry appears in the URL bar rather than in the suggestion list, this doesn't seem to work.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

pipes! posted:

I had it. Quitting and relaunching seemed to fix.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I had this for a while and at some point it went away. Just ignore it.

Confirmed. I ignored it and it went away sometime this weekend.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

hooah posted:

How can I remove a domain from the suggestions in the URL bar if it doesn't show up in the list? I often go to a domain for my school that starts with fa, but when I go there, I type the course number, which brings up the right URL. However, I've gone there so many times recently that when I want to go to facebook, the URL bar brings up the other one first, so I can't just type fa and hit enter. I know that normally I'd highlight the offending entry and hit delete, but when the entry appears in the URL bar rather than in the suggestion list, this doesn't seem to work.

I would guess deleting that site from your history would work. Or adding Facebook as a bookmark so it has higher priority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Try "fac".