Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Galick posted:

Just picked up a 3DS, Bravely Default, and Pokemon Y. Any other 'must have' games for it? Assuming Fire Emblem, of course :v:

If you like dungeon crawlers, check out Etrian Odyssey. 4 has a demo up on the shop. Don't let the cutesy graphics fool you: they are pretty hardcore dungeon crawlers with rockin' soundtracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Galick posted:

Just picked up a 3DS, Bravely Default, and Pokemon Y. Any other 'must have' games for it? Assuming Fire Emblem, of course :v:

SMT IV is a good shin megami tensei game that has a much more forgiving difficulty curve than its predecessors while still being suitably challenging.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

a medical mystery posted:

SMT IV is a good shin megami tensei game that has a much more forgiving difficulty curve than its predecessors while still being suitably challenging.

...That is, if it has been released in his region in the first place.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Galick posted:

After those; Super Mario 3D World, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Mario Golf, Mario Kart 7.

Must. Own.

Edit: gently caress I forgot Zelda. Best Zelda in a long time.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 2, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Galick posted:

Etrian Odyssey is rather fun. Basically old school dungeon crawlers with JRPG-style combat. Grab IV or Untold/Millenium Girl (which is a remake of the first.) The original versions of the first 3 were on the first DS and aren't nearly as well balanced.

There's also of course the excellent Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

a medical mystery posted:

poo poo, I thought it was soul crushingly difficult in the beginning/midway, I stopped playing...

The other games are HARDER??

Also to the recommendation for Double Action Boogaloo, it's so much fun. John Woo does a speedball then makes a video game.

SquadronROE posted:

Also looking for this, and modern remakes of Close Combat, ie. tactical squad or platoon based WW2 strategy games.

I still have my Close Combat 2 physical copy. poo poo, I may want to install it.

There was a game called Road to Baghdad that used the CC engine but it takes place in Gulf War II.

Funkysauce fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 2, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nah SMTIV is way too hard in the beginning, although depending on how far you got it should have tapered off a lot if you had a good understanding of the mechanics.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Funkysauce posted:

poo poo, I thought it was soul crushingly difficult in the beginning/midway, I stopped playing...

The other games are HARDER??

Also to the recommendation for Double Action Boogaloo, it's so much fun. John Woo does a speedball then makes a video game.

Not just harder they also lack a lot of features you'll take for granted if you play the newer ones first.

I have no idea how the Megami Tensei series got so popular because the difficulty of the series as a whole puts other first person dungeon crawlers to shame. I've had an easier time in most Wizardry games than something like the original Persona.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

Not just harder they also lack a lot of features you'll take for granted if you play the newer ones first.

I have no idea how the Megami Tensei series got so popular because the difficulty of the series as a whole puts other first person dungeon crawlers to shame. I've had an easier time in most Wizardry games than something like the original Persona.

What I like about them as dungeon crawlers is that if the encounters don't kill you, the dungeons themselves will. It's frustrating to play but satisfying to survive, like some sort of dungeon bootcamp.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (aka; Lucifer's Call in PAL regions) will break your soul if you don't learn how Press-turn combat works fast. The entire game is a dungeon crawler designed to make you weep and suffer for daring to put it in the tray of your PS2.

And that's on Normal Mode. There's also a Hard Mode "For those who enjoy the thrill of death" :shepface:.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nocturne's hard mode is the subtle kind where your accuracy and evasion are bad, ambushes are frequent, your crit rate sucks and enemy crit rates are hilariously high. All of these are things that the press turn system punishes the hell out of.

My favorite part is getting ambushed every other fight in that tunnel with all the succubi. Their favorite spells are making your whole party fall asleep (accuracy on that is poo poo normally but this is hard mode) followed by one that instakills everyone that's asleep with no save other than not being asleep in the first place. Its the kind of poo poo that put a smile on Gary Gygax's face.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I still remember how in the first SMT I turned on auto-battle in a fight, and forgot that one of the enemies reflected all physical attacks.

All I could do is watch as my party slowly punched themselves to death since you can't cancel it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And to salt the wound the games usually end when the main character dies even if other characters could revive him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

And to salt the wound the games usually end when the main character dies even if other characters could revive him.

That's not true. Out of the PS2 games, only (Big spoilers for several SMT games released on the PS2) Persona 3 has the MC die, and even then not really. DDS2 has them all reincarnate as happy kids, and Nocturne ends with you marching on Heaven with a demon army at your back and planning to break God's kneecaps for fun. Unless you decided to turn the world back the way it was, and why would you do that? :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not true. Out of the PS2 games, only (Big spoilers for several SMT games released on the PS2) Persona 3 has the MC die, and even then not really. DDS2 has them all reincarnate as happy kids, and Nocturne ends with you marching on Heaven with a demon army at your back and planning to break God's kneecaps for fun. Unless you decided to turn the world back the way it was, and why would you do that? :colbert:

I meant you usually get a game over if the named protag dies even if the other characters are standing around healthy. In a game series with instant kill spells it can be a big middle finger at random moments.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

I meant you usually get a game over if the named protag dies even if the other characters are standing around healthy. In a game series with instant kill spells it can be a big middle finger at random moments.

Oh, duh :doh:. With the main SMT games, I just passed it off as your Demons no longer giving a poo poo about you. You're dead so the contract's broken and they've got better poo poo to do with their time.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Ok, my WW2 kick is done. Are there any decent space RPGs out that aren't mass effect?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

SquadronROE posted:

Ok, my WW2 kick is done. Are there any decent space RPGs out that aren't mass effect?

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 are both pretty fun.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Chinook posted:

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 are both pretty fun.

Played the first one twice and the second once, you are right. They are great.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

SquadronROE posted:

Played the first one twice and the second once, you are right. They are great.

If you've never played Space Rangers 2 and the HD remake of Space Rangers, there are some RPG elements, and it's a lot of fun. It has a bunch of genres mashed together, though. (including text adventure parts.)

edit: There really should be more space RPG games.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

There really should be, I've got SR2 HD and I'll probably go play that a bit more. I was just wondering if there was anything I was missing out there.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

SquadronROE posted:

There really should be, I've got SR2 HD and I'll probably go play that a bit more. I was just wondering if there was anything I was missing out there.

You might consider looking into Drox Operative, which is kind of like a space Diablo. Except you control a ship instead of a person. But that might be a bit of a stretch.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any game where you get to actually be Robin Hood, like you get to go through an RPG where you steal from the rich. A Fantasy GTA type game I guess?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Turtlicious posted:

Is there any game where you get to actually be Robin Hood, like you get to go through an RPG where you steal from the rich. A Fantasy GTA type game I guess?
There's a Commandos-style Robin Hood game that's pretty good (and rather pretty), but it's nothing like GTA.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Turtlicious posted:

Assassin's Creed games are kinda like this. There's a Lord of the Rings game coming out soon that is similar to Assassin's Creed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

Infinite Space on DS if you want something anime as gently caress with a lot of broken systems to explore. I know I'm not selling it but it's the only one of its kind and pretty good once you figure out how to play it.

Turtlicious posted:

Psshhh. Aside from the previously mentioned game there's bupkis. There's Conquests of the Longbow which is basically Quest for Glory but with Robin Hood (and one of Sierra's best that tends to be forgotten). The Adventures of Robin Hood is basically Robin Hood open world style but the game looks like it was built on the Populous engine and hard as gently caress to get into. Lastly there's Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown, a poor man's remake of Defender of the Crown.

You'd think someone would make a game where you rob from the rich and give to the poor while hiding in the woods and building up an army of rebels but naw.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If living in the woods and stealing from the rich is your thing, maybe mount and blade: warband might work? It's not quite robin hood, but you can just build up a small army of bandits and ransack the castles of the rich while doing friendly quests for the impoverished villagers of the world.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

SquadronROE posted:

Mars: War Logs maybe? I only played a couple hours from the beginning before I got distracted by other, shinier games, but it felt like it might be a pretty good game, if a bit low budget and rough. Most user reviews on Steam seem to be positive, at least.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Guys, I'm looking for a game that will make me feel like a big mister boss man. Think Overlord, but more serious. Preferably organized crime-themed but my expectations are high enough, so I'll live without that. Thinking about playing a guild creation mod in Skyrim but I'm looking for more recommendations. Thanks in advance.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Nordick posted:

Mars: War Logs maybe? I only played a couple hours from the beginning before I got distracted by other, shinier games, but it felt like it might be a pretty good game, if a bit low budget and rough. Most user reviews on Steam seem to be positive, at least.

Ehhh... Mars: War Logs is really hit or miss. I like it alright but it's a really, really poor man's Mass Effect at most. Plus it's all set on Mars so it's not really "space". Almost feels like a post-apocalyptic game or a western. I guess it's worth checking out since it's on sale for like three bucks so often. Still I'd rather check out Anachronox for a scifi kick even if the ending will always be a cliffhanger.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
Anyone got a favorite modern-setting/nontraditional RPG? I have a weird love of non-sword-and-sorcery games that use RPG mechanisms. StickRPG 1 and 2 are the gold standards, but I'm having trouble thinking of any alternatives. Bonus points for a fun/interesting plot and OSX/iOS compatibility. Thanks!

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I just played Warship Gunner 2 for the first time last week and after binging 60 plus hours in to the game so far and watching Captain Harlock Space Pirate (the CGI Film on Netflix) I now want to play WG2 IN SPAAAACCCEEE!

So can anyone recommend me something along the lines of Warship Gunner 2 but in space?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Hecuba posted:

Anyone got a favorite modern-setting/nontraditional RPG? I have a weird love of non-sword-and-sorcery games that use RPG mechanisms. StickRPG 1 and 2 are the gold standards, but I'm having trouble thinking of any alternatives. Bonus points for a fun/interesting plot and OSX/iOS compatibility. Thanks!

The World Ends with You, even if the publishers are dicks and decided to make different versions for iPhone and tablet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hecuba posted:

Take a look at Alpha Protocol. It's a modern setting FPS with strong RPG elements. Maybe take a look at Dues Ex: Human Revolution.

Recettear isn't modern but it's pretty non-traditional. You run an item store.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Hecuba posted:

The Shin Megami Tensei series is my go to for RPGs with modern settings. If you have a PS2, Persona 3 and 4 are worth looking at. If you have a 3DS, the devil survivor games and SMT4 are good. I know the original Shin Megami Tensei is on the app store if you just have an iPad.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Luminaflare posted:

I just played Warship Gunner 2 for the first time last week and after binging 60 plus hours in to the game so far and watching Captain Harlock Space Pirate (the CGI Film on Netflix) I now want to play WG2 IN SPAAAACCCEEE!

So can anyone recommend me something along the lines of Warship Gunner 2 but in space?

I can't think of any that don't have massively overcomplicated trading systems and other grog poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Red Garland posted:

Guys, I'm looking for a game that will make me feel like a big mister boss man. Think Overlord, but more serious. Preferably organized crime-themed but my expectations are high enough, so I'll live without that. Thinking about playing a guild creation mod in Skyrim but I'm looking for more recommendations. Thanks in advance.

You've played Earthbound and the fan translation of Mother 3, yes?

Keep an eye out for Citizens of Earth which comes out November.

Then there's Sunless Sea which is early access but you role play a ship captain in antiquated London after it fell beneath the surface of the earth and somehow got populated by devils and Cthulhuloid people and mummies and poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turtlicious posted:

Thief? :confused: nobody suggested it yet since its so freaking brilliant and pretty much Robin Hood: The game.

Play the original Gold edition, not the more modern trash sequels.

Hecuba posted:

Shadowrun Returns has this in spades.

Wasteland 2 is also pretty dang good.

You've played Fallout (all of them) right?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Red Garland posted:

Ordinarily, I would recommend the The Guild off of GOG, where you could delve into tons of dastardly plots which involve bankrupting a rival, framing him for a crime, having him executed, and resurrecting his corpse as an undead servant. Sadly, it was just taken off of GOG's catalog. The next best thing I can recommend, however, is its' sequel, which I admittedly have less experience with. From what I hear, The Guild 2: Renaissance is supposedly the definitive version of the game if you were thinking of picking it up off of Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Pengu! posted:

Ordinarily, I would recommend the The Guild off of GOG, where you could delve into tons of dastardly plots which involve bankrupting a rival, framing him for a crime, having him executed, and resurrecting his corpse as an undead servant. Sadly, it was just taken off of GOG's catalog. The next best thing I can recommend, however, is its' sequel, which I admittedly have less experience with. From what I hear, The Guild 2: Renaissance is supposedly the definitive version of the game if you were thinking of picking it up off of Steam.

The Guild is amazing, The Guild 2... less so.

I don't think I played the Renaissance addon, but I remember it being so littered with broken systems and go-nowhere mechanics, it was really hard to love. They expanded the game a bit too much to the point where your building is constantly having firebombs hurled at it, and you're being assaulted nonstop in the streets as well, and you do a lot of tedious town walking trying to arrange meetings with the woman you're courting.

Some developer with a decent amount of money and ability to present a game needs to make a new Guild, dammit.