Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Full cycle of functional refuge reprints:

Phoenix is very very good. Basic lands spoiled also, they're just regular lands, not full-art or anything.

All very cool cards. That phoenix is gonna own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

The bird is a huge mana investment... 9 Mana for a 4/1 flyer that shocks something...

What, it only does damage to players. Splitting the cost on the morph means it hits for 6 the first time it attacks flipped or hits for 4 on turn 5. If curved in after Temur Ascendancy it cycles and has haste too!

It's actually 4 for a 4/1 that's annoying to get rid of.

Like, nobody ever called Exalted Angel a 7-drop even though you could pay 3 and then 4 to flip her. And it doesn't even do anything when flipped!!!

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Here's the Delve card you were looking for:

This card is so good.
Holy poo poo that card is powerful.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If the bird dies while it's still a Morph, it doesn't get returned to play, correct?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

If the bird dies while it's still a Morph, it doesn't get returned to play, correct?

Correct.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Correct, while it's morphed it's a 2/2 no abilities.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 8, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sarmhan posted:

Nope, while it's morphed it's a 2/2 no abilities.

Yeah, I think it's pretty bad.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

sarmhan posted:

Nope, while it's morphed it's a 2/2 no abilities.

You mean yes then

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The Blue Mythic guy is I guess okay design-wise, but probably I don't think in Constructed you'd play it over Prognostic Sphinxes. Especially now that PS's hexproof feeds your Murderous Cuts.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Trail of Mystery would have been a cool build-around uncommon for limited :smith:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, I think it's pretty bad.

I think you're evaluating it way too hard as just a card on its own in terms of its efficiency in being aggressive. 2RR for a 4/1 flying is probably okay but not great. 2RR for a 4/1 flying that gives you a 2/2 when it dies seems pretty good in terms of worsening wraths. 2RR for a 4/1 flying that gives you a 2/2 that you can pay 4RR to turn into the original 4/1 is really obnoxious for control to deal with. This card is pretty nuts for flood insurance and it's looking like it will be very hard to deal with since it dodges or worsens a lot of the efficient removal.

Not having haste as a 4-drop is certainly awkward, sure, but if they tap out to wrath you're left with a 2/2 that threatens to flip so you haven't lost a lot.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Angry Grimace posted:

Here's the Delve card you were looking for:

This card is so good.

This is so, so loving good.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
This is a fun card I guess that will be the ultimate limited beater. Here's how the design discussion went:

How many random, non synergistic abilities should we slap on this guy to make him feel mythic?
3? Not enough
5? too much text
4 it is.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Trail of Mystery would have been a cool build-around uncommon for limited :smith:

The first half would be; the second half at uncommon would be infuriating, because now you are going to lose a shitload of combats to creatures unmorphing (especially the free cycle of unmorphs) and there is nothing you can do about it. I'm sure we'll see something else at uncommon.

The Nastier Nate posted:

This is a fun card I guess that will be the ultimate limited beater. Here's how the design discussion went:

How many random, non synergistic abilities should we slap on this guy to make him feel mythic?
3? Not enough
5? too much text
4 it is.

Well, when you remember it's meant as a control v. control card, it makes sense. Flash/Uncounterability is so that you can hold up counters while still being able to cast your threat (and he *will* resolve), Prowess is to kill board stalls when there's the board mirror and you don't just have 6/7s facing each other, and the bounce is a great self-protection clause for what's going to be a slow matchup. I was cold on this at first, but I feel like it's actually a very solid design.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 8, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

3? Not enough
5? too much text
4 it is.

Please point out on the card where the non-prowess abilities don't have synergy. Uncounterable and Flash are like, huge control buzz words and self-bounce adds to make the thing stupidly hard to kill. I mean, Stoddard even addresses prowess as the one thing that kind of sticks out but it actually works in testing because control decks will go head to head.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

3? Not enough
5? too much text
4 it is.

Flash and can't be countered kinda go together. This leviathan is sprouting out of the water like "oh hey guys". Returning lands to hand is like plucking a giant creature out of water, I dunno it probably spills water everywhere. Prowess is because it gets excited when you cast spells? :shrug: that one makes no sense.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Gyshall posted:

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS

THAT's not going to get old quickly.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zoness posted:

Please point out on the card where the non-prowess abilities don't have synergy. Uncounterable and Flash are like, huge control buzz words and self-bounce adds to make the thing stupidly hard to kill. I mean, Stoddard even addresses prowess as the one thing that kind of sticks out but it actually works in testing because control decks will go head to head.

Yeah I like that it being a 6/7 as opposed to a 5/8 or whatever means that two control decks aren't going to be bouncing these off of each other and going to time in mirror matches. If your opponent has open mana and is swinging his Ancient into yours, you better have an instant in your hand you're willing to cast, because they sure as hell have one.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

Flash and can't be countered kinda go together. This leviathan is sprouting out of the water like "oh hey guys". Returning lands to hand is like plucking a giant creature out of water, I dunno it probably spills water everywhere. Prowess is because it gets excited when you cast spells? :shrug: that one makes no sense.

Thats flavor not synergy. It taught all the monks how to fight, that's why it has prowess, duh.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

mcmagic posted:

The bird is a huge mana investment... 9 Mana for a 4/1 flyer that shocks something...

No, it's 4 mana for a 4/1 flier that blocks, dies, and returns itself as many times as you can pay the 6 mana to hatch it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

This is so, so loving good.

Im shocked it doesn't cost 4BB

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Well, the first one might be casted for B but if you want to cast one again you gotta dump at least 3 more cards or it will cost 3B. Contrast to tragic slip which was really efficient when chained. At 4BB chaining these would be really cost-prohibitive. The main reason I'm shifting how I was evaluating this and pits was that this is an effect you're going to want to repeat multiple times but actually becomes harder to reuse. Logic Knot is probably comparable in power but is usually run as a 1 or 2 of in modern control lists. Actually, Logic Knot is probably slightly weaker.

Plus it doesn't seem likely that you'll be able to use this early on to kill a cheap dude.

Card is good, but as with every delve card, worsens in multiples. It IS really cool that you can't cascade into it in legacy though.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 8, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Its a lot better than Death Rattle. The thing about it is that its not a card that you'd likely run completely in place of Hero's Downfall since Delve is so cannibalistic and unlike something like Empty the Pits, you might want to use it multiple times.

^^ If you're looking to just kill cheap dudes, I think you'd stick to Bile Blight.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

Well, the first one might be casted for B but if you want to cast one again you gotta dump at least 3 more cards or it will cost 3B. Contrast to tragic slip which was really efficient when chained. At 4BB chaining these would be really cost-prohibitive. The main reason I'm shifting how I was evaluating this and pits was that this is an effect you're going to want to repeat multiple times but actually becomes harder to reuse. Logic Knot is probably comparable in power but is usually run as a 1 or 2 of in modern control lists. Actually, Logic Knot is probably slightly weaker.

Plus it doesn't seem likely that you'll be able to use this early on to kill a cheap dude.

Card is good, but as with every delve card, worsens in multiples. It IS really cool that you can't cascade into it in legacy though.

I'm thinking of modern grixis control. You thoughtseize, bolt, counter something, then this is cheap. At that point you've dealt with 4 threats, and should have mana out to move toward the game in your favor.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Its a lot better than Death Rattle. The thing about it is that its not a card that you'd likely run completely in place of Hero's Downfall since Delve is so cannibalistic and unlike something like Empty the Pits, you might want to use it multiple times.

^^ If you're looking to just kill cheap dudes, I think you'd stick to Bile Blight.

You only need to resolve 2 more spells after Murderous Cut for it to still be one of the best Black removal spells ever printed.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I found this bit interesting from an article at the mothership today:

quote:

How are we able to go back to multicolor so soon. Return to Ravnica block was just two years ago?

The answer is that Khans of Tarkir block does have a multicolor component, and a high-profile one, but is in many ways much less of a multicolor block. The best way to explain this is by using what we in R&D call as-fan. As-fan is a term describing how many cards of a subset in question you can be expected to open, on average, when you open a booster pack of a particular set. As-fan is important because it talks about actual percentages that a player will get.

For this explanation, I'm going to talk about the as-fan of multicolor cards. In Return to Ravnica, the as-fan of multicolor cards was 3.58. That is, if you opened a random Return to Ravnica booster, you would expect an average of 3.58 multicolor cards. In contrast, if you open a Khans of Tarkir booster, you will get as as-fan of 1.85. What this means is that Return to Ravnica had almost twice the as-fan of multicolor cards of Khans of Tarkir. In plain English speak, that means that Khans of Tarkir will have multicolor cards but not nearly in the volume (very close to half) that they appeared in Return to Ravnica.

Just to get more perspective I calculated the number for Shards of Alara - 2.75. There's considerably less actual gold cards around in the limited format for example, than in multicolor sets proper.

I then went back to the spoiler of what gold cards we know there will be, and as we know that magic number of 1.85 calculated that there's space for just 13 gold commons overall at maximum - and it wil obviously be less because there's higher rarities still left to spoil. 10 gold commons might not be a bad guess. That'd make it ten less than RTR, five less than Shards.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Zoness posted:

You should be comparing it to Death Rattle to get a sense of how good it is not Logic Knot.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

mcmagic posted:

Forget the Morph ability. This is a 4/1 Flying for 4 that leaves behind a 2/2 when it dies. Basically a natural 2-for-1, which is perfectly fine on a card. It's no Thragtusk, but it's not terrible.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Lunsku posted:

Just to get more perspective I calculated the number for Shards of Alara - 2.75. There's considerably less actual gold cards around in the limited format for example, than in multicolor sets proper.

I then went back to the spoiler of what gold cards we know there will be, and as we know that magic number of 1.85 calculated that there's space for just 13 gold commons overall at maximum - and it wil obviously be less because there's higher rarities still left to spoil. 10 gold commons might not be a bad guess. That'd make it ten less than RTR, five less than Shards.

What formula did you use?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Applebees posted:

You should be comparing it to Death Rattle to get a sense of how good it is not Logic Knot.

Why would I compare it to a card that never saw constructed play (it was fine in limited, of course) as opposed to the delve 1-for-1 removal spell that sees play in modern?

I get that they're both removal spells but the context is so vastly different - mostly in that creatures are now way better and more efficient.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 8, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Applebees posted:

What formula did you use?

10*(#GoldCommons/#Commons)+3*(#GoldUncommons/#Commons)+7/8*(#GoldRares/#Rares)+1/8*(#GoldMythics/#Mythics)

It gives the exact number they gave for the Return to Ravnica example. So as they gave the number for Khans, you could calculate how much space is left for unspoiled cards.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Maro posted:

The answer turned out to be a cross between the unnamed Naya mechanic from Shards of Alara and morbid. Naya cared about creatures with a power of 5 or greater. What if we used creature size on a threshold mechanic? That is, on a series of spells that got stronger if you had a big enough creature on the battlefield, similar to how morbid improved if a creature had died that turn.
Ferocious confirmed as a threshold mechanic. Having a 4 power dude powers up your stuff rather than making said dude better.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Clan Themed Basic lands

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arc/tarkir-basically-2014-09-08

Abzan

Jeskai

Sultai

Mardu

Temur

Each clan lands was done by the same artists, neat.

edit: I thought the Jeskai lands were done by John Avon at first, but it seems it's a new guy, Florian de Gésincourt.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 8, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Adamant Negation U
Intant
Counter target non-creature spell unless its controller pays 1.
Ferocious- Counter it instead.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

GonSmithe posted:

Adamant Negation U
Intant
Called it.

Also hot drat that's one hell of a counterspell.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Big blue here I come

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

Adamant Negation U
Intant

Spicy. One-mana counterspells rarely suck, even with the non-creature clause.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GonSmithe posted:

Adamant Negation U
Intant

I was hoping it'd be the ravnica version where the bigger the muscle, the bigger the toll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GonSmithe posted:

Adamant Negation U
Intant

Goddamn I wish Prognostic Sphinx had 4 power.

Big blue here I come
I think it's definitely a Simic card. :krakken:

• Locked thread