Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

STOP!

Hammer time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GoutPatrol posted:

It also had art that made no sense with what it does. And also is kinda creepy.

It makes sense to me, the wizard is absorbing the bolt of magic.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

dragon enthusiast posted:

Did this get posted yet?

Deflecting Palm WR
Instant
The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage.
If damage is prevented this way, Deflecting Palm deals that much damage to that source's controller.

Really hoping we see more of these spells with kung fu names; it makes for a neat deck theme with Prowess.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

It also had art that made no sense with what it does. And also is kinda creepy.

Lol I forgot about this bad card art

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
This is almost Reverse Damage + Eye for an Eye in one card. Very playable.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I can't wait until someone Reflecting Palms that Temur Fireball.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Jorath posted:

This is almost Reverse Damage + Eye for an Eye in one card. Very playable.

Yea that was the other card I was trying to remember. Both old school rare effects that have bounced around rarity (we had that Devotion to White version in the last block).

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Froghammer posted:

I can't wait until someone Reflecting Palms that Temur Fireball.
"Crater Claws for 20"
"Nah my dude punches it back"
"What"
"With one hand, even"

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

sarmhan posted:

gently caress playing around this in limted at uncommon.

"Don't attack so that reflecting your biggest guy kills you now or on the backswing" or "attack with enough guys so your kill can't be reflected" ain't exactly too much to play around.

It looks to me like a sideboard card in limited, assuming the translation there is correct, against X-burns and big enough creatures and power boosting tricks you've seen.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
That card is going to cause a ton of draws in limited.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
A 2 mana lava axe with a hold at bay stapled on is not going to be a sideboard card. Two bad cards fused together and effeciently priced is going to be a good card in limited.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Meatbag Esq. posted:

That card is going to cause a ton of draws in limited.

Why draws? I can see it as a very turnaround card, but I don't see why it'd draw a game.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Lord of Hats posted:

Really hoping we see more of these spells with kung fu names; it makes for a neat deck theme with Prowess.

If I don't get to write "(Everybody Was) Kung Fu Fighting" as a deck name on my deck registration sheet for a GPT at some point in the next year I'll be majorly disappointed.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It doesn't deal damage at the same time as combat damage occurs in Magic.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Jonked posted:

A 2 mana lava axe with a hold at bay stapled on is not going to be a sideboard card. Two bad cards fused together and effeciently priced is going to be a good card in limited.

I'd expect Lava Spike fused with Healing Salve is what you get most of the time. Not impressed.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Also known as face helix.

theCops
Aug 13, 2004
Crater claws for anywhere between 4 and 10 on your own hornet nest with Purphoros, god of the forge out doesn't seem impossible to pull off if you're in a G/R devotion shell.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

theCops posted:

Crater claws for anywhere between 4 and 10 on your own hornet nest with Purphoros, god of the forge out doesn't seem impossible to pull off if you're in a G/R devotion shell.

A new combo winter approaches.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

There's really no reason Deflecting Palm needs to be rare. If it could prevent damage to creatures I could see that being rare just for Limited power level, but effects like this have traditionally been uncommon (Reflecting Trap, Captain's Maneuver.) I guess Divine Deflection was a rare, and a huge blowout in Limited at that, but that could target creatures.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Did this get posted yet?

Deflecting Palm WR
Instant
The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage.
If damage is prevented this way, Deflecting Palm deals that much damage to that source's controller.

This seems like it could have quite a few sideboard implications in modern, if not legacy. I'd love to do this to a scapeshift player. :) Or a giant cranial plated dude.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jassi007 posted:

This seems like it could have quite a few sideboard implications in modern, if not legacy. I'd love to do this to a scapeshift player. :) Or a giant cranial plated dude.

Preventing 3 damage from Valakut likely isn't going to be what makes or breaks you. Remember it's only the next instance of damage, not all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Full cycle of functional refuge reprints:

Phoenix is very very good. Basic lands spoiled also, they're just regular lands, not full-art or anything.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

jassi007 posted:

Also wouldn't Cranial Plating likely not work as expected either (in all cases that is), since if you have time to cast this then your opponent has time to move Plating at instant speed to another unblocked creature.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If this really is as slow a format as it looks like it is, Pearl Lake Ancient is awesome.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Here's the Delve card you were looking for:

This card is so good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, that is REALLY good.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Holy poo poo the mana fixing in this set! Hell yes, gently caress Obelisks, gently caress basic landcycling. Just sweet dual and trilands all day long.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, that is REALLY good.

That card is so good I would have been happy with it at rare.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

This card is so good.

I fuckin' love that art. :allears:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Hey has anyone remarked that these are ~"strictly better"~ than guildgates yet? :can:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

That card is so good I would have been happy with it at rare.

Thats a 2 dollar uncommon that will be played in both Legacy and Modern.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Hey has anyone remarked that these are ~"strictly better"~ than guildgates yet? :can:

I miss the gate subtype. It was so OP. :cry:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Did this get posted yet?

Deflecting Palm WR
Instant

This is going into any Jeskai Control decks that want to win with Keranos. Got a dude I can't bolt? I'll just reflect his attack back at you.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Realistically though I think the moonfolk leviathan is really exciting. I wonder if all the fixing in the set makes Spooky Ghost of Ravnica playable (i mean, it obviously wasn't pre-rotation) if the basic idea of what a control deck is composed of in this format changes.

Pretty sure at this point it's time to just :f5:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I dig that bird.

Murderous Cut is loving good.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Ramos posted:

It doesn't deal damage at the same time as combat damage occurs in Magic.

Deflecting Palm deals damage immediately after combat damage but still before SBAs are checked, so the game would be a draw.

Lets Pickle posted:

There's really no reason Deflecting Palm needs to be rare. If it could prevent damage to creatures I could see that being rare just for Limited power level, but effects like this have traditionally been uncommon (Reflecting Trap, Captain's Maneuver.) I guess Divine Deflection was a rare, and a huge blowout in Limited at that, but that could target creatures.

As has been pointed out, the effect is traditionally rare starting with Reverse Damage and Eye for an Eye.

Reflecting Trap and Captain's Maneuver are pretty different. Reflecting Trap is a colour hoser and only prevents some of the damage, and you have to pay for each damage with Captain's Maneuver.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

Can't win with Maze's End. 2/10 :colbert:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Applebees posted:

Deflecting Palm deals damage immediately after combat damage but still before SBAs are checked, so the game would be a draw.

As has been pointed out, the effect is traditionally rare starting with Reverse Damage and Eye for an Eye.

Reflecting Trap and Captain's Maneuver are pretty different. Reflecting Trap is a colour hoser and only prevents some of the damage, and you have to pay for each damage with Captain's Maneuver.

Am I the only person who thought of Shining Shoal first?

Obviously the bounds and flexibility are different though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The bird is a huge mana investment... 9 Mana for a 4/1 flyer that shocks something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Pearl Lake Ancient is just new AEtherling, I think, but slightly less busted in terms of "you win immediately."

mcmagic posted:

The bird is a huge mana investment... 9 Mana for a 4/1 flyer that shocks something...

For whatever reason I assumed it had haste. Yeah, its less good than I was thinking.

• Locked thread