Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
An Anime Hater, Wreaking Havoc On The Something Is Awful Forums???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was a bit surprised to see there were about 50 new posts overnight, because as far as I'm aware neither Spoony nor the Game Grumps are regularly discussed any more. :v:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Here's the second part of the Samurai Cop Interview.

They sorta lost some of the steam of the first part. I also don't get the almost a minute or so of silence at the end.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Times like these i am happy i never Liked god of war since i am mainly a nintendo fanboy who rather play games with bright colors and cheerful moods. and i know nintendo is not 100% clean in the treatment of woman (rocket high heels anyone?) but i feel it's easier to have new gamers play mario kart then god of war IMO.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 8, 2014

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Violet_Sky posted:

If anything, I would say most sane people would think of gamers as really hosed up if they saw that scene. Hopefully, Tropes vs. Women can make game developers see that they need to dial back the gratuitous "shock value" scenes.

I understand that people binge watch or play horror movies and the like all the time. They aren't psychopaths. But do not shock for shock's sake. Video games don't need to be KEWL or MATURE to get people to play them.

Why can't video games have as wide a selection of options as movies? There are movies that shock for shock's sake, there are movies that are KEWL and MATURE just to get people to watch them. By all means, don't play things like God of War 3. It sounds pretty poo poo. I really don't like the idea of creators changing things because someone will think something is hosed up though. Let the title fail or succeed on the market, not personal distaste.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think LittleBigPlanet had pole dancers.

Video Games Are hosed Up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yes because questioning inherently sexist/racist/homophobic themes and messages in video games/movies/TV/books is literally the exact same as questioning the plot of MST3K. This is a good point you just made here.

Yes, it pretty much is. People doing the questioning are a small subset of the demographic, and they do it because they feel it's a Very Important Thing they are doing.

Their opponents, so to speak, defend the medium/culture because they've internalized that culture into themselves. They defend it because they feel that doing so is a Very Important Thing.

But for the vast majority playing the games/watching the movies/reading the books simply do not give a poo poo one way or another. Furthermore, they don't want to give a poo poo about it. They've got their own Very Important Things to invest in emotionally, and they aren't going to bother dealing with the trivial poo poo (in their opinion) a bunch of nerds are bickering about.

Gamergate, as with most Internet Arguments, are two tiny sides feeling passionately about something the rest of the demographic doesn't even know exists as A Thing.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

Why can't video games have as wide a selection of options as movies? There are movies that shock for shock's sake, there are movies that are KEWL and MATURE just to get people to watch them. By all means, don't play things like God of War 3. It sounds pretty poo poo. I really don't like the idea of creators changing things because someone will think something is hosed up though. Let the title fail or succeed on the market, not personal distaste.

I do understand where you are coming from and I somewhat agree, but people still call out films that just shock for shock's sake and made to be KEWL and MATURE like Serbian Film and Sucker Punch, which both movies are awful in their own hosed up way. so this isn't purely targeting games. But i am sure the next god of war will still make bank even if it changed or not for better or worse.

EDIT: i changed my phrases to make it easier for people to read.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 8, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm liking this newfangled freeform word usage that seems to be all the rage these days.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

quakster posted:

I'm liking this newfangled freeform word usage that seems to be all the rage these days.

what did i do?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It'd help if you'd just capitalize properly.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Well last weekend brad release a new snobcast about his time at a con a few weeks ago. it a bit long but a good listen. The ending was great when it get's to talking about Toby Keith's theme bar.

http://www.thecinemasnob.com/podcasts/snobcast-wizard-world-chicago

Cyron fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 8, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cyron posted:

Times like these i am happy i never Liked god of war since i am mainly a nintendo fanboy who rather play games with bright colors and cheerful moods. and i know nintendo is not 100% clean in the treatment of woman (rocket high heels anyone?) but i feel it's easier to have new gamers play mario kart then god of war IMO.

Really, Rocket High Heels bothers you and not Other M?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tae posted:

Both are pretty bad. The later more so than the former.

Edit:

BigRed0427 posted:

What were the rocket high heels? I forget.

This

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 8, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Tae posted:

What were the rocket high heels? I forget.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Tae posted:

I am just using something current. But if i remember the zero suit in Other M had high heels build in that did nothing at all. It shown in a artwork for the game that is just a rear end shot. now thinking about it, Other M is god awful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Literally every female in Other M Has high heels.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There is a great LP of Other M in the LP archives but I would love to read or watch a full review, breaking down the game. Other M is sexist but it's also a great example of how not to tell a story in a video game.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

BigRed0427 posted:

There is a great LP of Other M in the LP archives but I would love to read or watch a full review, breaking down the game. Other M is sexist but it's also a great example of how not to tell a story in a video game.

Or there's the Retsuprae which is pretty great.

(Can anyone tell me how the 'Ridley voice' came to be?)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The Rocket High Heels are problematic™ but I kind of can't get mad at them because it's such a silly idea. I also really like the glowy design.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

KayTee posted:

just got to 9 minute in the let's play, i already pissed the hosed up just in bad writing alone.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That's cool, I can be reduced to a biological function. I don't really like anime or your show or your opinions, but I still think you're a human being worthy of respect and I wish you all the best. :)

"I was transparently fake-polite to someone who was mean to me (because I said horrible things)! I have both the biggest dick and am the biggest grown-up all at the same time!"

Don't act like I came at you out of nowhere, man. The only reason I came down on you that hard was to paint stark what other people were already trying really hard to handle with kid gloves. You Should Probably Re-Examine Your Extremely Sexist Worldview. It's jaw-droppingly offensive and off-putting, and you deserve to be mocked for it, not humored. So that's all I did.

I'll drop it now, though. Just...goddamn. It was 5 AM when I came back to this thread last night and your posts were making me laugh myself out of my chair. Forgive me for not having super-clement judgment in my response, but jesus. Sorry you don't like it when a chick calls you out on your gross fingers-in-my-ears attitudes toward blatant sexism because that's all that was, on your end, and on my end.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 8, 2014

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

The Rocket High Heels are problematic™ but I kind of can't get mad at them because it's such a silly idea. I also really like the glowy design.

I think everyone can get behind ROCKET BOOTS™, but what most people find problematic about it is that the logic seems to be, "Well, Samus is a woman, so of course she wears high heels."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KayTee posted:

It came from slowbeef's LP of Metroid Prime (I think...). He just sort of randomly started channeling Mewoth whenever Ridley appeared on screen.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jay O posted:

Don't act like I came at you out of nowhere, man. The only reason I came down on you that hard was to paint stark what other people were already trying really hard to handle with kid gloves. You Should Probably Re-Examine Your Extremely Sexist Worldview. It's jaw-droppingly offensive and off-putting, and you deserve to be mocked for it, not humored. So that's all I did.

Thanks, JO, it's nice to have a bad cop around because I can't bring myself to be mean to people no matter what crap they're spouting. (Because this is in text -- not sarcasm)

Alacron posted:

I think everyone can get behind ROCKET BOOTS™, but what most people find problematic about it is that the logic seems to be, "Well, Samus is a woman, so of course she wears high heels."

Oh definitely, I'm opposed to it on an intellectual level for that reason. It's just there's some part of me that goes "pretty glowy shoes that are also rocket boots :syoon:"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wouldn't call it kid gloves so much that coming down on someone, on the internet of all places, like an anvil just makes them more confrontational. It's counter-productive and telling a complete stranger to re-examine their worldview straight-out is very presumptuous. I don't agree with what he's saying, he's actually more civilized about it than most of the internet, but there's no need to get nasty. The whole stupid drama with the enthusiast press and "gamergate" is pretty good proof that being confrontational doesn't amount to anything and only makes things worse and stupid.

Man the handling of all that drama was dumb.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

nine-gear crow posted:

It came from slowbeef's LP of Metroid Prime (I think...). He just sort of randomly started channeling Mewoth whenever Ridley appeared on screen.

To be more specific, it started in the test video where he and Diabetus asked what Ridley would sound like if he had voice acting and they joked that he would sound like Irving from Resident Evil 5, and they just kind of ran with it there for the LP proper and anywhere else it cropped up.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 8, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jimbot posted:

I wouldn't call it kid gloves so much that coming down on someone, on the internet of all places, like an anvil just makes them more confrontational. It's counter-productive and telling a complete stranger to re-examine their worldview straight-out is very presumptuous. I don't agree with what he's saying, he's actually more civilized about it than most of the internet, but there's no need to get nasty. The whole stupid drama with the enthusiast press and "gamergate" is pretty good proof that being confrontational doesn't amount to anything and only makes things word and stupid.

Man the handling of all that drama was dumb.

Well, it's bad when everyone does it, c.f. any argument that's ever hit Twitter/Tumblr, but I think when it's a closed forum like this and you have one or two people willing to just shut that poo poo down it works.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

Oh definitely, I'm opposed to it on an intellectual level for that reason. It's just there's some part of me that goes "pretty glowy shoes that are also rocket boots :syoon:"

Same here, Rocket Heels gives such cognitive dissonance that I get dizzy from it some times.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Drama" like that is actually really cool because losers come out of the woodwork to expose themselves as dipshits for all the cool people to laugh at. And then they whine about people being mean to them as if they didnt just open their mouths and say a bunch of hilarious idiot thoughts defending, like, god of war or something.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I will never understand how making Samus have a mental breakdown when faced with Ridley in Other M made any sense whatsoever to the writer. She'd faced him and kicked the poo poo out of him like 5 times before, why is it this time it's suddenly the scariest thing to ever happen to her?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

I will never understand how making Samus have a mental breakdown when faced with Ridley in Other M made any sense whatsoever to the writer. She'd faced him and kicked the poo poo out of him like 5 times before, why is it this time it's suddenly the scariest thing to ever happen to her?

Well she's a girl dummy. Females aren't brave. :downs:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Argumentum ad hominem doesn't really win over neutrals following a discussion. If there is something you want to refute then use logic and evidence to rebut the points not attack the person. If your arguments are good you will win over neutrals even if you don't convert your opponent.

I wouldn't get all :eng101: on this but you're a critic so you're supposed to be good with persuasion.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Argumentum ad hominem doesn't really win over neutrals following a discussion. If there is something you want to refute then use logic and evidence to rebut the points not attack the person. If your arguments are good you will win over neutrals even if you don't convert your opponent.

I wouldn't get all :eng101: on this but you're a critic so you're supposed to be good with persuasion.

Neutrals should read a book.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Since we have been talking about it, Extra Credits did an episode about the God of War trilogy.

They also did a video on propaganda games that I think might be relevant here.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 8, 2014

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think you messed up the link there, and part of the video has that same issue as the Juarez video I have with which is if the piece happens to be super duper pro-US imperialism, the worst they can pin is as if the developers had a whiteboard and naively went "Whoops, we accidentally made a videogame about exploding not-white people".

To be honest, claiming "Argumentum Ad Hominem" on something that isn't exactly an independent and identically distributed argument is sort of hosed up. "Hmm, past experience with extremely similar matters with this same person has lead to a hosed up response" is certainly grounds for one to throw one's link to "Your Fallacy IS" over their shoulder. Also anyone who has looked at BB's replies on this thread can easily gather that they're not exactly neutral about this ordeal.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 8, 2014

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Neutrals should read a book.

Well, there's space between :ralp: and :eng101:, wouldn't you say? I'm partial to the odd :iceburn: myself but you've got to be sharp enough.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To extremists the middle has become a loaded term. Them and people who are sick of South Park. So "somewhere in the middle" might as well be saying "I'm not taking a stance so I can contradict myself whenever I please! I have no convictions!" It's a bummer but extremists aren't known to be rational people.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Kunster posted:

To be honest, claiming "Argumentum Ad Hominem" on something that isn't exactly an independent and identically distributed argument is sort of hosed up. "Hmm, past experience with extremely similar matters with this same person has lead to a hosed up response" is certainly grounds for one to throw one's link to "Your Fallacy IS" over their shoulder. Also anyone who has looked at BB's replies on this thread can easily gather that they're not exactly neutral about this ordeal.

Fair enough, I haven't been following the discussion/argument closely and I don't have any opinion on the subject. I just noticed some laziness from a person who uses debate and criticism to make a living and wanted to use their crappy post to poke them with. It's the passive-aggressive in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jimbot posted:

To extremists the middle has become a loaded term. Them and people who are sick of South Park. So "somewhere in the middle" might as well be saying "I'm not taking a stance so I can contradict myself whenever I please! I have no convictions!" It's a bummer but extremists aren't known to be rational people.

The nicest way I can find a response to this would be that these "extremists" have gathered that usually "The Middle" is usually situated somewhere not neutral or that the sheer suggestion of inaction would outright gravitate said "middle" to just an endorsement of the status quo that would lead to being engulfed by one of the extremes.

• Locked thread