Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jeoh posted:

Hell, you don't even need Google. The Office help is pretty awesome.

I bet Clippy would know how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Muffinlord posted:

Wait, your IT guys are unionized?!

You don't really need to be unionized if you're employer signed a collective bargaining agreement with another union - I'm not a member of any union but I'm covered by the CBA with the journalist union (I work for a big media house).

edit: this goes for :sweden: that is

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 8, 2014

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Welp, I'm now a member of the Unite union, and apparently I'm not the only one in my division who is (the union rep is a software developer up at head office).

Lets see how this goes, never been in a union before.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenNight posted:

I haven't made a chart in Excel in over 10 years but I sure know how to Google the question.

Randomly clicking buttons in Excel has been pretty effective for me to learn the different functions of excel. Google's there for the rest.

Fil5000 posted:

I can remember a temp getting hired at my last workplace for a pretty low level clerical job. He kept asking about getting a permanent position,

We had a different temp who kept asking about getting a permanent position, yet was fired twice (and rehired for less money). He was in a different department and didn't come with us when we moved, I never found out what happened to him. Guy was a loving moron, I flat out told him to be thankful he even has a job and there was about a 0% chance he would ever go perm. His "boss" was a different temp who was just higher up on the temp food chain with more responsibilities.

My company really likes temps for their cheap labor and expendability, the only part I don't like is that my boss doesn't have to deal with these people.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

nexxai posted:

IF you're insinuating that he should have known how to make "proper" Excel charts because he claimed he had his MCSE, you're just as bad as most users who think that IT should just intuitively know how to use every piece of software ever written. Just because he is qualified (certified?) to work on Microsoft desktop and server products doesn't mean he necessarily knows how to make a pie chart in Excel. The two things have nothing to do with each other.

No no, I just found it hilarious that he kept touting the qualification as a reason to hire him permanently when it had no bearing whatsoever on the role. And like others have said, I'd be amazed if he had the wherewithal to get that certificate without even the slightest idea how to hit F1 and type "bar chart".

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Pyroclastic posted:

Ticket was assigned to Pyroclastic.
On Jul 23, 2014 @ 11:34 am, User wrote:

[Description:]:
request a keyboard that shows all letters and numbers on keys

Really? I and N are worn so you want a new keyboard? Good thing we've got plenty of extras.

Resolved: Took some white-out, painted letters back onto keys.

Seriously though, my keyboard at home would probably give this guy an aneurysm - pretty much every key is worn off completely.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Entropic posted:

Does Real Player even exist as a video player program anymore? I thought it was like Napster, where the name had be passed around from company to company until someone used it for a product different in everything but name. If you go to real.com now it's a Cloud-based video-sharing app or something. If that's what they're using it's probably not as terrible as you might think.

Unless they're making you go to oldversion.com to get the original Real Player. :stare:

True story I live three blocks or so from real HQ. It's a huge fancy building with landscaping. What the hell do they do anymore?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Lum posted:

Welp, I'm now a member of the Unite union, and apparently I'm not the only one in my division who is (the union rep is a software developer up at head office).

Start learning the Internationale and stockpile on molotov cocktails. Since you work in IT, you should have plenty of alcohol, all you need is sand and fuel. Welcome, comrade.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Not an Anthem posted:

True story I live three blocks or so from real HQ. It's a huge fancy building with landscaping. What the hell do they do anymore?

Produce carbon dioxide?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Words cannot properly articulate my jealousy. My airport is a fairly conservative office environment, and pretty crooked to boot. I don't even know if any unions for desktop support technicians exist here in the States.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Real Player update: Testing training courses today in a couple browsers, all worked fine without needing anything additional installed.

Conclusion: Affiliate IT staff are incompetent.

Ticket closed.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Produce carbon dioxide?

Well at least with some landscaping, they probably have some nice trees and shrubs to partially combat that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Not an Anthem posted:

They have this thing called RealPlayer Cloud now where you put your media files on their cloud and then there's an app on your phone or wahtever that you can use to watch it. They take care of transcoding it to a format the device can play.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Should've joined this union.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
One of my friends is a computer janitor for a school in the US and I think he's either in a union or at least has some gubbment benefits because he says he gets a pension after 10 years full time.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I haven't been bit by trying to be too helpful in awhile, and today made up for it spades. A couple of months ago, I stopped by a location that had printer problems, either a bad cable or switch port. Anyway, we had dropped the ball,I fixed it and made the mistake of giving the lady onsite my number and if they had a similar issue to give me a call. As it turns out, this apparently meant that any issues with the printer are now mine. She calls up asking when I can drive down and that I need to bring 2 printer transfer kits, and they need them today.
I told her I could drive down, I things to do in that area anyway, but I don't have whatever a transfer kit is. She gets mad and starts bitching about how useless IT is, since I can't pull a transfer kit out of my rear end. I look at the printer and the kit is at 1%, so they've been ignoring the replace message for weeks. The other printer is giving the same message, so this stupid assholes sat on these messages apparently expecting the loving printer fairy to fly by and poo poo out a transfer kit and toner.

The weird thing is she expects us to be excited at helping after listening to her bad mouth our department for 10 minutes.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

CitizenKain posted:

The weird thing is she expects us to be excited at helping after listening to her bad mouth our department for 10 minutes.

"Whoops, looks like a change in plans - I might be in the area next week some time, or I might decide to burn some vacation time. I'll let you know in a week or two when we can get out there."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

One of my friends is a computer janitor for a school in the US and I think he's either in a union or at least has some gubbment benefits because he says he gets a pension after 10 years full time.
I'm a state worker and am in the general state worker's union like everyone else who works for the state, I wouldn't be surprised if something similar existed at the county/city level.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

m.hache posted:

An erotic fan bearing.

Did Patrick Stewart's bakery go under?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Did Patrick Stewart's bakery go under?

Business is exploding...

:v:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

The Muffinlord posted:

Words cannot properly articulate my jealousy. My airport is a fairly conservative office environment, and pretty crooked to boot. I don't even know if any unions for desktop support technicians exist here in the States.

I do desktop support and am a member of SEIU.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lum posted:

Keep us posted. Might be useful to know down the line.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Most states let employees of state funded public schools participate in the state pension system (i.e. New York). Some states go even further and run a pension for civil servants and elected officials at the municipal and local levels (i.e. California).

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah even working as a student at a state university I had to pay into Ohio's public retirement system.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yeah even working as a student at a state university I had to pay into Ohio's public retirement system.

I had to pay into it when I worked at my local library during highschool. I -still- get letters from OPERS about the MINISCULE amount of money I have with them. It's... something like $20. I don't even know how they have tracked me through six moves.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

I obviously don't know how UK unions work, but here in Denmark they will only take the case if it's not already, eh.. "in action" when you join. If the case starts after you join you're good, but they won't accept being some place people only join when they're already in need of help. In short, unions (in Denmark) work like insurance companies.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crowley posted:

I obviously don't know how UK unions work, but here in Denmark they will only take the case if it's not already, eh.. "in action" when you join. If the case starts after you join you're good, but they won't accept being some place people only join when they're already in need of help. In short, unions (in Denmark) work like insurance companies.

Which makes sense.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
My dad joined USDAW part way through a dispute, because of said dispute.

They helped him out.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I suppose in theory, an insurance company might take a loss up front if they think that they can keep you for the rest of your life and make up the loss over time.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I suppose in theory, an insurance company might take a loss up front if they think that they can keep you for the rest of your life and make up the loss over time.

I think unions, ideally, are supposed to be a bit more high-minded than a profit-motivated insurance company...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mr. Fix It posted:

I think unions, ideally, are supposed to be a bit more high-minded than a profit-motivated insurance company...

Haha nope.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

No, unions take care of their members. If it becomes widespread to "skip" the membership until you need them to sink countless hours into a legal dispute on your behalf there's no one left to pay the lawyers' salaries.

Here in Denmark it was law up until 1993 that you had to join the union that held the agreement on salaries and working conditions in the workplace. Back then the unions was lax about joining before or after disputes. After 1993 it became more and more widespread to skip the union membership while still benefiting from the agreements arranged by the union, and understandably the union members became a bit miffed over that. As a result of more and more people choosing to skip the membership the unions has to cut back where they could, and an easy way to do that was to refuse aid in cases that originated before you became a member.

I'm biased since Mrs. Crowley works for one of the largest unions in the country, but I fully sympathize with the harder line. If you won't help support the union when it doesn't directly benefit you (apart from the agreements and other perks people tend to ignore) don't expect to get help when you find yourself in a bind. Even if you just view the union dues as a legal insurance it's still worth the money.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
From a tactical perspective, you might be able to get help on an issue that happened before you joined, but it'd be more than meets the eye

Like if you're in an industry or area that doesn't have much exposure to unions, they could help as a loss leader.

In any case, it wouldn't hurt to ask for help, maybe it fits with long term plans anyways.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010
Lum probably good idea if its ongoing to document from here out (any pre existing documentation can be pulled in as part of that I would hope). Then start looking for help in about a month or so, if your situation is at least tolerable for that length of time.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
AN e-mail went out:

Analysts aren't documenting tickets properly, so I thought I'd send an e-mail out to them to help guide them...

...and sent it out with the subject equivalent of "draft"

I think I need to start drinking coffee

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
An e-mail from the CIO:

quote:

Order: Desktop for <user>

He is running on XP. Needs replaced with a Windows ME machine ;)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

anthonypants posted:

An e-mail from the CIO:

So he can keep the System Restore feature!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

anthonypants posted:

An e-mail from the CIO:

"Nope!"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It has the winky face, so I'd do it. Just because it would be fun to replace someone's lovely machine with a shittier one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Not an Anthem posted:

Rent office space out to F5 (who is expanding like mad)?

• Locked thread