Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

duros posted:

one more (from Astro Gaming's Facebook page):

Oh man, that is slick. Jacket looks fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

Hah I think I took your picture at PAX. If it was you, the outfit is super sweet in person!

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Hah I think I took your picture at PAX. If it was you, the outfit is super sweet in person!

I'd love to see it :) - People would mob me for pictures on sat/sun. It would take me 30 minutes to make it to the escalators.

Found a few pictures of me and my gf as well (I put a lot of effort into this drat thing so you HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT!)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I always thought that newsprint/comic character style makeup was awesome.

Shame my beard means I can't ever do it well.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Hello Cosplay goons!

I've recently been drafted into a local LARP Group by some friends and it's inspired me to attempt something more creative and interesting than 'random fantasy human'. Based on the rules, some more mythic humanoids are permissible, so I'm hoping to put together a minotaur costume. I'm not sure what would be the best material or methods to use to create the details like the face, horns and maybe hands/feet. Keeping in mind that this is for a larp, so I'm hoping for something more on the lightweight and durable side over realistic detail.

Really appreciate any advice you can share!

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
If you can work fiberglass into the construction somehow, that's a good way to make something durable but lightweight.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

duros posted:

I'd love to see it :) - People would mob me for pictures on sat/sun. It would take me 30 minutes to make it to the escalators.

Found a few pictures of me and my gf as well (I put a lot of effort into this drat thing so you HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT!)

You two are hot-drat awesome.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Can you explain the process of having that thing chromed? i.e. stuff you had to do to prep it, perhaps

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Late comer to this thread, but this stuff fascinates the hell out of me. McPantserton is that you in your Avatar, and if so, were you at C2E2 this year?

Edit: Went back a few pages and answered my own question. I thought your Terran Marine was pretty rad. I was disappointed you didn't get a placement in your category. When it came to finals it was hard to beat Ming and the Big Daddy though.

C2E2 was my first Con ever. Grown man now, never had time/money/sufficiently interested friends/etc in the past. I was really disappointed to see zero REAL Space Marines, which is all the more disappointing when I see 40k is kind of your thing on here.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 5, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How would someone make an Olimar spaceman jumpsuit? I am not looking for insane quality since this is only my second costume/cosplay and I'm not any good at sewing or crafting yet

I was thinking one of starting with one of those white painter's jumpsuits with some gray belt things sewn into the waist, wrists and ankles, some mechanic's gloves and a clear acrylic dome with a hole for the whistle, but how could I make the control panel he has on his chest? And is there anyway to make it puff out the fabric so it looks kind of like it is actually inflated with air?

E: I can spell

E2: dang, I can't find any pictures of me as Joel Robinson, but yeah, dying a jumpsuit, making a Gizmonics badge out of plastic tiles and sewing it into my jumpsuit is about my skill level right now

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 5, 2014

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Uroboros posted:

Late comer to this thread, but this stuff fascinates the hell out of me. McPantserton is that you in your Avatar, and if so, were you at C2E2 this year?

Edit: Went back a few pages and answered my own question. I thought your Terran Marine was pretty rad. I was disappointed you didn't get a placement in your category. When it came to finals it was hard to beat Ming and the Big Daddy though.

C2E2 was my first Con ever. Grown man now, never had time/money/sufficiently interested friends/etc in the past. I was really disappointed to see zero REAL Space Marines, which is all the more disappointing when I see 40k is kind of your thing on here.

Thanks, man! I really wasn't too surprised that we didn't place, the level of costumes in that contest was just amazing. It was extremely fun though, I'm really looking forward to it next year. If I get in I'm going to enter my new Warhammer suit because I think it's a lot cleaner at the detail level than our big marines.

I've got plans someday to do a big Chaos marine for myself, I want to do a massive Champion of Khorne terminator setup. But I'm still feeling pretty burnt out on giant stuff from StarCraft so you may have to wait for a bit yet before I've got a proper marine of my own. ;)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I saw some great Chaos Marines at DragonCon!

(Not me, but I am responsible for the terrible picture quality.)

And I also saw this little guy:

Great inspiration to be found all over the place. :3:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Lately I've had a lot more drive to delve into all the nerd stuff that I had wanted to do for years but never really had the money or the time. The former I am in ample supply of at this point in time, and the later I have enough to essentially research/devote a day here an afternoon there to certain things. Case-in-point I've pretty much been on a slippery slope to full Warhammer fanatic investing time and money into not only the Role-Playing Game, but also the Table-Top. I had long thought I lacked the skill to nearly make anything of either of these, but thanks to down-n-dirty on-line how-to's even people with little artistic skill can put stuff together.

Moving on from mini-spacemans to dressing up like an actual space mans is pretty tall order for me, especially since I still live in an apartment, and don't have any real workspace. In addition I have absolutely zero experience with any of this. That being said I am pretty drat confident in my ability to figure something out given proper time/instruction. In addition, after I hit C2E2 my mother and her husband expressed interest in cosplay, because they have kind of fallen in love with steampunk, so I might find assistance from that corner. I would really like to cosplay at some future point as something from Warhammer 40K, although I have no illusions that full on power armor may never reasonably fit into my future.

That being said how hard would you say it would be for an absolute beginner to put something like this together assuming money not be a major limiter?

Barring that, I've seen individuals going as Space Marine scouts, and I assume I would have a much easier time finding tips/advice/instructions on that, which seems largely similar in design.

Also, with Halloween rolling up is there a costume design thread around here? Two months until Halloween, and I figure I best start working on something.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 6, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Uroboros posted:

Also, with Halloween rolling up is there a costume design thread around here? Two months until Halloween, and I figure I best start working on something.

There's usually a Halloween megathread that starts up in GBS. If it's not there yet, it should show up soon.

Edit: This is also a great place to get beginner's advice and costuming help, even for something like Halloween!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

There's usually a Halloween megathread that starts up in GBS. If it's not there yet, it should show up soon.

Edit: This is also a great place to get beginner's advice and costuming help, even for something like Halloween!

Thanks, I am surprised there isn't a perm. thread.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I feel like this is pretty much the permanent thread!

I obviously am in full support of 40k cosplay, and I will say that most of my poo poo is done out of a small apartment with no real ground/garage/etc so it can be done. I got a PM about beginning armor builds awhile ago and I recommended looking into a few different materials depending on your priorities and preferences, I'll paste that info here! These suggestions are assuming that people starting out don't want to jump in too heavy with tool costs right away, I'd recommend owning a dremel, heat gun, and high-temp glue gun if possible for basically everything though.

1. EVA foam, which is like craft foam from JoAnns or those big puzzle piece yoga mats. It's very easy to work with and super cheap and very lightweight. The downside would be that it's not as durable as plastics but you can surface it with glue (I hear FlexBond is a really good brand) or plastidip spray to protect it a bit more. I like cosplayer WM Armory for getting ideas, he posts tutorials sometimes like this http://www.wmarmory.com/?p=949 and his facebook has a lot of photos that I think are helpful to see how he's working

2. Worbla low-temp thermoplastic
This is an expensive option, runs like $80 per jumbo sheet but it's one of the most resilient materials I've ever worked with, it doesn't scratch easily and it's not brittle. Usually the way people work with it is to do a layer of craft foam for a base, then you heat worbla on either side and make a worbla 'sandwich' for the piece. Worbla adheres to itself so it's pretty easy to assemble with just a heat gun. The plastic can be stretched or shaped over complex curves too as long as it doesn't get too thin, I do double layers for stuff like making boob cups on breastplates and it works really well. It also can be sculpted almost like clay when it's hot. Reference cosplayer to check out for ideas/help is Kamui Cosplay, she is a wizard with this stuff and sells tutorial books that are probably really helpful as well

3. Foamed PVC sheet (aka sintra)
This is also a plastic but it's shitloads cheaper than worbla, I really like it. It doesn't have any stretch but it can be heat curved very easily. You can cut it easily with a utility knife and it's really durable and light. It's easy to heat it too much and have it start to melt but a bit of practice with it gives you a pretty good idea of how much or little heat it can take, I think.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Uroboros posted:

That being said how hard would you say it would be for an absolute beginner to put something like this together assuming money not be a major limiter?

Barring that, I've seen individuals going as Space Marine scouts, and I assume I would have a much easier time finding tips/advice/instructions on that, which seems largely similar in design.

I'd say go for the more cooler older Kasrkin models instead but that's just me. Although they could be easier to do as well. If not there is always the standard Guardsman that would look amazing if you put some effort into it.

If you want some inspiration and ideas for a IG uniform there is this German 40k cosplay group named Inquisitionstrupp 23 that has done some really amazing uniforms and equipment. Found a gallery of one of the members here and here's another gallery I found as well as their own website here

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks for the info guys. Like I said, I don't see this taking flight anytime soon, but I figure I am more apt to getting around to taking my first steps if I get myself a bit educated. Personally, when it comes to cosplay I am not a man opposed to commissioning certain items, although I understand in terms of 40K this is something GamesWorkshop will sue people over. That being said at the end of the day whether what I'm wearing is something entirely of my own efforts, or a hodge-podge by various individuals is kind of irrelevant. I don't plan on ever being so into the hobby that I would enter a competition or anything of that nature, I am so busy with life in general that I can't forsee that ever being a reality. Basically, having a cool end result that catches the eye, and how do I get to something like that is really my primary focus, after that I am more than happy to have a conversation with someone about how "badass item X was made by this really talented individual, maybe you should look them up".

Having a tutorial book, or an intro book on the hobby would make for an interesting read as well. I am curious how 3D printing has effected this hobby. I've seen all sorts of news articles where individuals are printing out actual firearms using them, so I wouldn't think props and costume accessories(atleast solid ones) being far behind.

Cooked Auto posted:

I'd say go for the more cooler older Kasrkin models instead but that's just me. Although they could be easier to do as well. If not there is always the standard Guardsman that would look amazing if you put some effort into it.

If you want some inspiration and ideas for a IG uniform there is this German 40k cosplay group named Inquisitionstrupp 23 that has done some really amazing uniforms and equipment. Found a gallery of one of the members here and here's another gallery I found as well as their own website here

They certainly do look awesome, but before I would even plan the minor details it would be more of this: how do I design and construct a helmet? All the bells and whistles like color, visor, etc seem small change compared to some of the starting hurdles here.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm starting to build a dalek (not quite cosplay as it's going to be radio-controlled, but nonetheless this seems like the best place to ask) - most of it will be wood or MDF, except the dome on the top, most of the builders of which seem to use fibreglass. But I've never worked with fibreglass before and I know it's dangerous as gently caress.

What are my options if I don't want to give myself horrible lung disease? Would worbla work (and if so, where in the UK can it be gotten)? I know I could probably do it with vacforming, but that would entail having a vacuum former...

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Uroboros posted:

Thanks for the info guys. Like I said, I don't see this taking flight anytime soon, but I figure I am more apt to getting around to taking my first steps if I get myself a bit educated. Personally, when it comes to cosplay I am not a man opposed to commissioning certain items, although I understand in terms of 40K this is something GamesWorkshop will sue people over. That being said at the end of the day whether what I'm wearing is something entirely of my own efforts, or a hodge-podge by various individuals is kind of irrelevant. I don't plan on ever being so into the hobby that I would enter a competition or anything of that nature, I am so busy with life in general that I can't forsee that ever being a reality. Basically, having a cool end result that catches the eye, and how do I get to something like that is really my primary focus, after that I am more than happy to have a conversation with someone about how "badass item X was made by this really talented individual, maybe you should look them up".

Having a tutorial book, or an intro book on the hobby would make for an interesting read as well. I am curious how 3D printing has effected this hobby. I've seen all sorts of news articles where individuals are printing out actual firearms using them, so I wouldn't think props and costume accessories(atleast solid ones) being far behind.

They certainly do look awesome, but before I would even plan the minor details it would be more of this: how do I design and construct a helmet? All the bells and whistles like color, visor, etc seem small change compared to some of the starting hurdles here.

If money is no object then you could buy a Shark Raw motorcycle helmet as a base for the helmet

http://www.shark-helmets.com/produc...M%20-%20English

Or you could get a cheap brain bucket that seems to be popular in America as the base of the helemt

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm starting to build a dalek (not quite cosplay as it's going to be radio-controlled, but nonetheless this seems like the best place to ask) - most of it will be wood or MDF, except the dome on the top, most of the builders of which seem to use fibreglass. But I've never worked with fibreglass before and I know it's dangerous as gently caress.

What are my options if I don't want to give myself horrible lung disease? Would worbla work (and if so, where in the UK can it be gotten)? I know I could probably do it with vacforming, but that would entail having a vacuum former...

Fiberglass isn't dangerous, but you do want to wear protective gear mostly when you're cutting or sanding it. Just get some tyvek jumpsuits and a good breath mask for when you're cutting or sanding it. And wear gloves when you're laying it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

thespaceinvader posted:

Depending on size maybe an acrylic sphere cut in half? For the faux face shield for our StarCraft marines I cut a big acrylic globe with a dremel steel cutting wheel, IIRC it wasn't too expensive and it was relatively easy to cut.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

Funky Bunch Wikia posted:

Can you explain the process of having that thing chromed? i.e. stuff you had to do to prep it, perhaps

Sorry coming back to this :)

The process of getting a helmet chromed is a bit time consuming.

1. Prime the object you wish to chrome
2. Wet-sand the thing to 1000grit (start with 100grit and move up until its basically polished and smooth)
2.a there shouldn't be any underlying plastic or anything showing through. Should look uniform in primer color
3. SHIP IT OFF!
3.a I recommend http://www.coatofchrome.com - they fixed my helmet when it was botched real bad by the first company. Don is fantastic and totally easy to work with (getting ready to send off my Guy helmet to him :))
4. wait patiently for it to come back all shiny and amazing :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

McPantserton posted:

Depending on size maybe an acrylic sphere cut in half? For the faux face shield for our StarCraft marines I cut a big acrylic globe with a dremel steel cutting wheel, IIRC it wasn't too expensive and it was relatively easy to cut.

Was thinking about that, but it's pretty expensive compared with that I want to spend, and the shape isn't actually a hemisphere, the edges are chamfered off.

I might just take the plunge and do it with fibreglass, or see if any local makers on the dalek-making forum(!) would let me take a casting from their moulds or something.

Thanks =)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Speaking of molds, I know a mold-maker here in Seattle that loves to do nerdy fan stuff. I'm sort of overwhelmed by the possibilities.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Speaking of molds, I know a mold-maker here in Seattle that loves to do nerdy fan stuff. I'm sort of overwhelmed by the possibilities.

Woah. Woah, woah, woah.

We need to talk. You got Plat?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I've started working on a Prototype Viktor costume, from League of Legends. This guy: http://www.lolking.net/models/?champion=112&skin=2

So far, I've ripped the model from the game files, and separated all the costume pieces - the pauldron, the arm, the gauntlet, and the leg armor. I'm building this out of EVA foam, and it's coming along pretty well - I have to fix the scaling a bit.

Does anyone else have experience with EVA foam? I'm looking at how best to seal and fill parts of it before painting. I've heard about using diluted Mod Podge, followed with a coat of Plasti-dip.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

7thBatallion posted:

Woah. Woah, woah, woah.

We need to talk. You got Plat?

Sure do :coal:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Trying to come up with something simple yet eye-catching for Halloween. I was thinking of trying a Slenderman costume, however I am only 5'9. I would think stilts with minimal movement might be best, but I was wondering what a good way to extend ones arms would be while still allowing them to bend?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
So I was considering doing the whole cosplay thing for Katsucon in February and have been toying with the idea of building a female flight suit from Knights of Sidonia.

Problem is, I'm not sure what the flight suit is made of, or what would be best to use. My first thought was a catsuit or a cotton/lycra bodysuit, but looking at the picture, I'm becoming more and more unsure of that idea. I thought maybe aramid/kevlar, but that's pretty expensive, and I'm not sure how breathable that would be. Also, it seems like a lot of work.

I was also considering making the helmet, as well.

Which just looks like a Motocross/dirt bike helmet. How easy/difficult would it be to modify and paint something like that, if I could find a used helmet?

Please help. I r dum wit dis.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

foxatee posted:

So I was considering doing the whole cosplay thing for Katsucon in February and have been toying with the idea of building a female flight suit from Knights of Sidonia.

Problem is, I'm not sure what the flight suit is made of, or what would be best to use. My first thought was a catsuit or a cotton/lycra bodysuit, but looking at the picture, I'm becoming more and more unsure of that idea. I thought maybe aramid/kevlar, but that's pretty expensive, and I'm not sure how breathable that would be. Also, it seems like a lot of work.

I was also considering making the helmet, as well.

Which just looks like a Motocross/dirt bike helmet. How easy/difficult would it be to modify and paint something like that, if I could find a used helmet?

Please help. I r dum wit dis.

My suggestion would be foam in a similar fashion as the mass effect suits. Someone with more experience in armor/suit crafting might have better ideas though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Okay goons, I am in need of your assistance. I kinda want to cosplay as Death Gun from SAO for Halloween, because A: He's appropriately spooky looking for the holiday, and B: His outfit isn't too complex, just the cloak, mask, and then wrapping my arms in bandages. However, as I have next to no costume making experience at all, I'm kinda at a loss for what to do.
Does anyone know how I should make the mask/what I should make it out of? (glowy eyes optional, but if you have an easy way to make them I'm all ears.) Also, does anyone have a pattern for a cloak similar to that that I could use? e: Never mind, I found a really nifty cloak pattern already.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 14, 2014

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Question for anyone that might have worked with spandex. I'm working on an Agent Venom costume, I've got most of the pieces done, and have a goggle sort of thing rigged up for the eyes, what I'm wondering is this: Is there a way to combine the goggles with the spandex mask? My thought is to glue the goggles to the mask, then cut out the eyeholes around the mask, but I'm not particularly keen on ruining the $50 mask on an experiment. Thanks in advance

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Check out this guy's technique. The basic idea is there. http://imgur.com/a/xfpPm

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Awesome that's just about exactly what I had in mind, thanks for the help.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Dreqqus posted:

Awesome that's just about exactly what I had in mind, thanks for the help.

There are a bunch of youtube tutorials too under "spiderman eyes" or equivalent.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Blaziken386 posted:

Okay goons, I am in need of your assistance. I kinda want to cosplay as Death Gun from SAO for Halloween, because A: He's appropriately spooky looking for the holiday, and B: His outfit isn't too complex, just the cloak, mask, and then wrapping my arms in bandages. However, as I have next to no costume making experience at all, I'm kinda at a loss for what to do.
Does anyone know how I should make the mask/what I should make it out of? (glowy eyes optional, but if you have an easy way to make them I'm all ears.) Also, does anyone have a pattern for a cloak similar to that that I could use? e: Never mind, I found a really nifty cloak pattern already.

for the mask part, since it looks completely flat, you could use some heat shaped material, foam or otherwise, pretty easy. Then just paint the whole thing the color you need. Since the goggles look like they recess inward, you could find some round swimming goggles, remove the foam bits, cover the part you need to see through with blue painters tape (use a compass to get the diameter and cut the tape out) inside AND outside, then paint the whole thing the same metal gray as the mask. I would cut off the nose bridge and make my own...thing there...that holds the goggles together...Consider making it so it doesn't sit against your face, but a little bit away.

There really wont be any "easy" way to make the glowing eyes, but I have ideas. It all depends on how uniform you want the eyes to glow. Someone in the thread with more technical know how will have better ideas, but here's my take. Despite how poorly I write this, I, as an inexperienced crafter, could probably knock these out pretty quick if I had the parts. It's not nearly as complicated as it seems to make things glow, and certainly not as complicated as I write, I'm just horrible at explaining things like this. So, ready for some :words:? If I had my tablet, I would draw some pictures explaining some of these concepts...

If you use LEDs and have it be easier: Set the mask away from your face, far enough to get 1 to 2 LEDs in there angling towards the goggles (top and bottom). Maybe at a 70-80 degree angle towards the eye piece, but hidden under the opaque part of the mask. Use pure white or red LEDs. Buy them from Amazon, NOT Radio Shack. You can get 20-50 LEDs for $5 online, or pay $10 for 2 at Radio Shack.. How you mount these will be up to you. On the goggle part, use some contact paper on the inside of the lens, and take a red sharpie to it. Take your time to really fill it all in with red. Don't try coloring on the goggles themselves, contact paper freaking loves sharpies so you can get a uniform color really easy. Practice on a small part of the contact paper to make sure you can get a uniform color. Run the wires from the LEDs to the back of the mask. You will have to use an online LED wiring calculator to figure out what kind of power source/resistors you need. If you don't run any resistors, you will burn out the LEDs pretty quick if you use a 9V battery, but 2x AA should work. You can get a holder for these at Radio Shack or online. You can get a cheap on/off switch at Radio Shack also. Run the negative wire from the LEDs to one connector on the on/off switch, and the negative from the battery connector the the switch. Make absolutely sure that you cover any contact points, because they get really drat hot really quick. Liquid electric tape is my go to when I can't use a piece of heat shrink tubing. Turn the LEDs on and look in from the back of the mask without putting it on to see if you need to cover any of the LEDs to prevent blinding yourself. Using the liquid electric tape is a good way to cover the back of the LED and any part that might blind you or shine in your eyes.

If you want to use EL panels and go full on hard mode: First, good luck finding Red EL panels. They are really hard to come by for some reason. Pure white panels are really drat expensive. get 2 panels, an inverter, and an 8x battery pack. The inverter and 8x battery pack can be bought from Adafruit Industries. If possible, some heat shrink tubing and maybe a heat gun unless you have access to one. Make the lower part of the mask. When you get to making the upper half, keep a small slit between the goggles and the lower mask portion. This is what you would see out of. This means your glowing eyes would be maybe an inch higher than your real eyes. If you can get the portion of the mask where your eyes will be against your face, you don't need that big of a slit to see out of. Experiment with it. For the eyes proper, cut the two EL panels to fit inside the goggle part, with the connector that comes in each panel facing whichever way you want to run the wires. It tends to be easier if it points up. Don't cut right at the connector, try it something like this first:

Use cardboard in place of your EL panels first to see how you need things to fit. When you do get to cutting the panel, you need to coat EVERY EXPOSED EDGE of the EL panel in liquid tape, if you don't you will get shocked. Place the EL panel inside the goggle and glue it in place. A bit of hot glue on the inner portion, and a generous heaping on the back might do it. Take one of the EL panels and strip a bit of the positive and negative, and then solder the other EL panel's wires to the stripped bits. Make sure to use enough wire to run this thing over your head. Having a lot of wiggle room is good. You will want to have some kind of lining in the mask so you don't have wires running against your head, it's more comfortable. Make sure to tape/liquid tape the exposed wire. The EL panel, if it came with wires attached, should already have a connector that the inverter can plug into. If it doesn't, you will have to hunt that down and solder it on, but that shouldn't be an issue if you look for any reasonable amount of time. Now solder the inverter to the battery pack. If you don't know which wires are pos/neg on the inverter, load up the battery pack, plug the inverter into the EL panel, and touch the battery and inverter wires together. This is a good place for heat shrink tubing. You put the tubing on the positive wire before soldering, slide it way back so it doesn't start to shrink on accident, then cover the solder joint after soldering. Use a heat gun, or maybe a hair dryer would work, to shrink the tubing. Attach the negative inverter wire and negative battery wire to a switch and solder. Now you got some glowy rear end eyes. You will need to make a holder on the back of your head for the battery pack, inverter, and switch. Word of warning about this, the inverter makes an incredibly high pitch noise, even a really good one will do it once you cut the EL panel. I have tinnitus, so It's something I'm actually used to, but my ear and the high pitch whining kind of compete with each other. It's possible to block the sound out after a while.. If you want the light to diffuse a bit on the edges, we go back to contact paper. Use a compass to get the size of the eyes, and make to circles to fit the goggles. figure out how big you want the brighter inside of the eye to be. Use the compass on some blue painters tape. You may need to overlap the painters tape a few times over to get the size you need. Use the compass to make a circle and cut it out with an exacto knife, unless you have a compass that can fit an exacto blade, in which case I envy you. Put the circle on the center of contact paper circle. Use some of that spray on frosted stuff you can get at a home supply store (Lowes, Home Depot, whatever). They keep it with the spray paint usually. It's used to give glass a frosted finish, but it will diffuse a bit of light and give it a noticeable tinge around the side.

Hyper Mega Easy Mode: Use contact paper, color it red, put on the inside of the goggle. It won't glow, but it takes 10 minutes if you are slow.

Edit: No matter how I look at this, it's a lot of work you know someone who can model and 3-D print that mask and parts for you. You could probably do the underside of the mask by taking a paint ball mask, and cutting the goggle part out. Use the nose bridge piece on the mask to help with stability, cover the whole outside with crafting putty or something and smooth it into the shape you need, or use some kind of craft/heat foam to cover the outside. That whole upper part needs to be fabricated, or you need to look up pre existing parts and play a game of connect-the-dots to see how you can minimalize your work. Either way, it's a lot to do (but worth doing).

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 14, 2014

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Thanks! I think I'll try and go for the LED method for the eyes. I'd never heard of liquid electrical tape, and it sounds really useful.

The Repo Man posted:

for the mask part, since it looks completely flat, you could use some heat shaped material, foam or otherwise, pretty easy
This is probably going to be the harder part, honestly. This is my first mask project, so I'm not fully sure how to make a mask out of foam. The only guides I could find for masks were paper-clay ones, but A: With paper clay I'd actually have to sculpt the goggles, as opposed to just placing goggles on the mask, and B: my head is a bit larger than average, (hats almost never fit) so if I used a mannequin head as a model, it probably wouldn't fit me.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Blaziken386 posted:

Thanks! I think I'll try and go for the LED method for the eyes. I'd never heard of liquid electrical tape, and it sounds really useful.

This is probably going to be the harder part, honestly. This is my first mask project, so I'm not fully sure how to make a mask out of foam. The only guides I could find for masks were paper-clay ones, but A: With paper clay I'd actually have to sculpt the goggles, as opposed to just placing goggles on the mask, and B: my head is a bit larger than average, (hats almost never fit) so if I used a mannequin head as a model, it probably wouldn't fit me.

Well, you will have to sculpt the plate over where the goggles are anyway. I suggest foam because it's much lighter than clay, but I don't know how to work with it either. The mask looks like it's made of so many flat planes it just seems like it would be easy to make each plane as a single panel and connect the panels to form the mask. I WOULDN'T KNOW THOUGH! SA GOONS WHO DO THIS STUFF SEND HELP!

The only things I can think of that would actually be useful for the inside of the mask: Since you need the mask to sit far enough away from your eyes to keep from blinding yourself, you could cushion the forehead area, and the nose bridge area so that the mask sits off your face. I use elastic and velcro to hold my repo masks on, and it works amazingly well. If you want to test how the LED would work before comitting to doing it in the mask, here is what I would do. Buy the round goggles (maybe two-three pair if they are cheap enough so you have room to screw up), and some cheap craft foam, that really thin stuff from Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. Make a flat eye plate out of a piece of foam. It doesn't need to match the picture you posted, just a long piece of material you can attach the goggles too. Cut the goggles out and reverse them and figure out how to get your LEDs to stay put, like maybe some cheap crafting wire? Just make sure not to let the wire touch the leads on the LED. Poke the wire into the foam and glue it down w/hot glue. Use more hot glue to get the LED to stay put. This way you can freely move the LEDs by bending the wire, and work out how far away you need it to be. You can hold the hot mess to your face and figure out how far away you need the eye plate to be from you, and use that as the basis for how to set your mask up. Don't worry about messing with contact paper or the like yet. It may end up being that you can only have 1 LED at the bottom of the eye piece for rooms sake. Maybe 1 on the bottom, and 1 on the outer side of the eye piece. You can also test wire it all together with some really long wire to a 2x AA holder, not to a switch yet, and see if it will be too bright. Keep in mind also that when the LEDs are on, you will loose a chunk of your vision, and I guarantee you won't be able to see in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
I haven't posted since my last costume, and I'm almost done with this year's Halloween costume: one of the Amazonian fembots from the Robot Restaurant show in Shinjuku, Tokyo. I heart this show so much, and I've been planning this costume since they opened in 2012. It's madness. This video (http://youtu.be/w2lQCLS8IxY) and Anthony Bourdain's segment (http://eater.com/archives/2013/11/04/watch-bourdain-visit-tokyos-insane-robot-restaurant.php) come fairly close to giving the highlights, but you're going to have to just take my word for it that no amount of pictures or video can really capture the live experience.

But I digress.

Reference photos:

Choosing a color was difficult; to be accurate I should go with the wig I have that is only one color, but the red/orange/yellow one I have is more in the spirit of the character. Decision: red/orange, hair pulled back in front. I'm told it's not pretty, but I'm not going for "pretty" so much as "space robot."

Construction started from the feet up. Started with cardboard over sneakers, ended with craft foam over Converse.

Calves are attached by elastic straps at ankle and knee, thigh pieces are attached by magnets. Oh my god I love magnets for attaching costume pieces. Motion test: http://youtu.be/L2m_Q5ld96g?list=UURc_ol3miuWJ7GaaFr7zB2Q

I'm still not great at sewing, but this is good enough for a Halloween costume.

Painting the craft foam accents is my favorite part.

Right around here I realized I painted the light source on the smaller pieces upside down and had to redo it, but it turned out not to be a huge crimp in the workflow.

Next is the backpack, shoulder guards, arm bands and bracelets, and adding some touch lights to more closely emulate the bots in the show.