Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The MG Ingram is about as good as it could possibly be IMO, though they appear to be using a different (not very good-looking) material for the joint covers in the new kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The MC Model Xi is nearly done. Haven't built the stand or related bits yet, just the main MS; pics will happen when the light is better.

Buggering hell, it's is huge. For a supposed 1/144 kit, it's really quite disturbing. The Crossbone Maoh's head comes halfway up the the Xi's crotchplate.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

DigitalRaven posted:

Buggering hell, it's is huge. For a supposed 1/144 kit, it's really quite disturbing. The Crossbone Maoh's head comes halfway up the the Xi's crotchplate.

That's the joke. A Minovsky Craft is so large that the minimum size for a MS to have one would put it roughly the same size as the Psycho Gundam. Keep in mind that MCs are traditionally used by battleships to achieve levitation.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Crossbones are super small anyways.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

BlitzBlast posted:

The Crossbones are super small anyways.

Yeah Crossbones Gundam Maoh only comes up to my Zaku II's shoulder.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

peeNamaste posted:

Yeah Crossbones Gundam Maoh only comes up to my Zaku II's shoulder.

I know the Crossbone's short. Shoulder-height is one thing, dick-height is quite another. :)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's the usual result when you compare Late UC with CCA era.

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

ActionZero posted:

We need to stage an intervention for you guys.

How about an armed intervention? :v:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Ahahahaha whoops:

(seriously tho making those markings waterslides may not have been the best idea)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah no way im not just going to airbrush those when I get around to never building it

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's a vKa, it's contractually obliged to go for the most intricate possible result.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Actually a pre-build overview of the kit suggests that it's been considerably simplified and de-contented compared to something like the Sazabi, but it looks so loving good I don't really care.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, honestly I would've preferred a major Katoki-izing of the design like the Nu and Sinanju got. I really like the Nu's 'open frame' gimmick, along with all the other details, but I guess there's nothing wrong with a simpler design either.

Especially since I'll be making GBS threads it up with all the HWS baubles.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I choose to believe that Ka was specifically ordered not to gently caress with it, given how little it resembles his usual style. I'm glad of it, myself; one "creative" re-interpretaion of this design was plenty.

edit: seriously, did Izubuchi take a blow to the head at some point? Look at this poo poo:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 8, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My MG Build Strike FP is going to be here soon! :dance: Pretty excited to put this together if only to have a little break from UC aesthetics.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

That's the usual result when you compare Late UC with CCA era.

D'awwwwww, look at Victory, it's so pissed off it's being treated like a kid. :kimchi:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bimmi posted:

I choose to believe that Ka was specifically ordered not to gently caress with it, given how little it resembles his usual style. I'm glad of it, myself; one "creative" re-interpretaion of this design was plenty.

edit: seriously, did Izubuchi take a blow to the head at some point? Look at this poo poo:

The original MG still looks (slightly off) great, I do like the original (VerKa's) design better don't get me wrong but they both look cool imo.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 8, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I somehow hate it even more now that we have a good one.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The problem with the original mg hi-nu is that it seems to lose all the things that made the design special. the hi nu is supposed to be a fat suit.

Plus it got rid of that great paint job on the funnels.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I still like both honestly. It's a bit of a shame that they both got slimmed down a bit, but I do honestly prefer the silver blue and white colorscheme to the purple and white scheme, but that's just me.

Bimmi posted:

Actually a pre-build overview of the kit suggests that it's been considerably simplified and de-contented compared to something like the Sazabi, but it looks so loving good I don't really care.

You mean like there was an earlier, busier kit design before it got simplified to what's currently out? I'd like to see that, it sounds cool.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

S-Alpha posted:

Yeah, I still like both honestly. It's a bit of a shame that they both got slimmed down a bit, but I do honestly prefer the silver blue and white colorscheme to the purple and white scheme, but that's just me.

I like the blue and silver scheme as well, but it should not have been the initial attempt. Even when I was younger and preferred the thinner, blue-er Hi-nu, I still didn't like how many liberties they took with the MG.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

Was Izubuchi responsible for the MG/HGUC redesign of the Hi-Nu? I always figured they were stealth Katoki redesigns themselves. The reason the new Ver Ka looks so good is because it resembles Izubuchi's original lineart after all.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So I decided to buy a pair of the $30 Tamiya nippers and I'm really wowed by them. I was using a $10 pair of Xuron flush cutters before and I always had to do a fair bit of clean up on nubs, usually filing them down then going over the area with sandpaper. The Tamiya ones cut so cleanly that in some cases I haven't even been able to feel a nub or imperfection left over afterwards. On most nubs all I need to do is a few passes with some 400 grit sandpaper and a couple passes with some 1000 grit stuff to make sure everything is nice and smooth. They also cut so cleanly through sprues that parts almost never go flying off into the carpet.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

Was Izubuchi responsible for the MG/HGUC redesign of the Hi-Nu? I always figured they were stealth Katoki redesigns themselves. The reason the new Ver Ka looks so good is because it resembles Izubuchi's original lineart after all.

nope izubuchi redesigned his own design for the mg/hguc kits. In the process he made it worse.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So I decided to buy a pair of the $30 Tamiya nippers and I'm really wowed by them. I was using a $10 pair of Xuron flush cutters before and I always had to do a fair bit of clean up on nubs, usually filing them down then going over the area with sandpaper. The Tamiya ones cut so cleanly that in some cases I haven't even been able to feel a nub or imperfection left over afterwards. On most nubs all I need to do is a few passes with some 400 grit sandpaper and a couple passes with some 1000 grit stuff to make sure everything is nice and smooth. They also cut so cleanly through sprues that parts almost never go flying off into the carpet.

Could you provide the nipper's model number? Always in the market for a really nice pair of nippers to make nub management easier.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

S-Alpha posted:

You mean like there was an earlier, busier kit design before it got simplified to what's currently out? I'd like to see that, it sounds cool.

No, just that there's a certain whiff of it having been done on a tight budget. Not a big deal in my book but it is noticeable.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I don't think it was an issue of budget. I think they wanted Hi-Nu ver. ka to have the same aesthetics as Re 1/100 Nightingale since almost everyone will pose those two together and the Nightingale would have looked out of place against a Hi-Nu with traditional ver. ka design.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I wonder what our December big thing is going to be, I doubt it's going to be a PG and Hi-Nu VerKa would have been a usual suspect normally. I'm guessing a MG G-Self is most likely right now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's more a matter of corners being cut than dodgy aesthetics. The inner frame is about as rudimentary as it gets, there's a dumb-looking void in the rear skirts because they couldn't be bothered to mold two extra parts, stuff like that. Again, not a deal-breaker IMO.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I opened up my first MG a little bit ago.

What have I gotten myself into please send help

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kurui Reiten posted:

Could you provide the nipper's model number? Always in the market for a really nice pair of nippers to make nub management easier.

They are the Tamiya 74035 Sharp Pointed Side Cutters.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Literally The Worst posted:

ONE OF US, ONE OF US...

Kidding aside, what kit, and what do you need help with(assuming that's a genuine help)?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Great, thanks!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

ONE OF US, ONE OF US...

Kidding aside, what kit, and what do you need help with(assuming that's a genuine help)?

Build Strike FP and nah, I figure if I managed to do the RG RX-78-2 by myself as my first kit I should be fine. There's more parts but they're also bigger which helps a lot.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Frames seem to be more simple in the last few years in general (exceptions notwithstanding), I hate to bring it up again but the Original MG Hi-Nu has a downright stellar frame. (And RX 2.0 is insane, but it's a 2.0)

Zedd fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 8, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

One of Us. One of Us! ONE OF US!

On a side note: I'm looking at 18 runners of MG Qubeley, it's looking like a pretty fun kit and I've always liked the unorthodox design of it but I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to get a nice gloss coat on it via brushes. It seems to scream for gloss or at least semi-gloss with all the large curved surfaces.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The '07 Hi-Nu does have some fairly decent frame detail going on, I'll give it that. I have mixed feelings about the Gundam 2.0 frame though, which while fantastically flexible and solid also started the trend away from the more varied and interesting inner detail we used to see. Again, I'm not too broken up about this, since frame detail has almost never been that good and was never a big selling point for me, but I notice things like the dirt-basic frame styling of newer kits and the disappearance of internal panel detail and it still seems kind of unfortunate.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to get a nice gloss coat on it via brushes.

Brushes definitely won't cut it for something that size. Though I suppose you could forgo paint entirely and just coat it in Future. As noted elsewhere, the stuff is very forgiving of being brushed on whereas paint is generally not.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 8, 2014

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Why is that, anyway? You would think at this point a modeling paint company would be like "Huh, maybe we should figure out how this self-leveling stuff works and apply it to our paints".

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Are the SEED Destiny MGs okay to just build out of box? I want a Gunner Zaku Warrior since I play that unit so much in EXVS but I don't think there's a newer version than '07?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kurui Reiten posted:

Why is that, anyway? You would think at this point a modeling paint company would be like "Huh, maybe we should figure out how this self-leveling stuff works and apply it to our paints".

GSI does sell levelling thinner, I think.

• Locked thread