Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The issue with 4xRGP is buying a second Imperial Aces when you bought 4xInterceptors before you knew that Aces was going to be a thing. Even though it's your favorite Star Wars ship ever, it's hard to justify owning 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I always feel like that if you are going for a swarm of inties, you might as well go 4xRGPs with PtL, since it gives you the maneuverability and staying power you need thanks to the double actions pretty much every single turn. Also PS6 is pretty great as well. I don't really know if an extra Intie is worth not having PtL on all of your dudes.

Yeah, this. By all means, please try that 4x Alpha + Tetran list and let us know how it went (I am a fellow Intie-swarm-desirer) but I have a feeling it won't work that well.

Poopy Palpy posted:

The issue with 4xRGP is buying a second Imperial Aces when you bought 4xInterceptors before you knew that Aces was going to be a thing. Even though it's your favorite Star Wars ship ever, it's hard to justify owning 8.

Also this. :( :( :(

(I bought three before I knew what I was doing, and ended up getting a replacement for one because it was damaged in the blister, so I have six Inties.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 8, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Yeah, that's the main issue I have as well, I had two Inties and then bought Imperial Aces as well. To be fair, if I wanted to play casual, I would just proxy and if I didn't, I can probably borrow the extra two RGPs cards/tokens if I need them.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
So I tried out a mini swarm the other day against a Falcon XX build, and didn't do so well. It did get me thinking though, in the middle stages of the game all hell breaks loose for my mini swarm, no matter the composition. I'm making falcons run into academy pilots and my dudes are turning and barrel rolling into range one and behind firing arcs and the thing just becomes a big mass of ships flying every which way. Total chaos.

So why not swap in a Scimitar Squadron TIE bomber? Maybe throw a little seismic charge or proximity mine on there and see if I can set up some decent hits on my opponent while keeping my own bros out of the blast zone.

Well, that train of thought set off a cascade of good and bad decisions which led me to this build:

+++ New Roster (100pts) +++
+++ 100pt Imperial Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

Imperial (Standard) Selections:

+ TIE Bomber + (25pts)

* PS 2 - Scimitar Squadron Pilot (25pts)
(Barrel Roll, Focus, Target Lock)
2x Concussion Missiles (8pts), Munitions Failsafe (1pts)

+ TIE Fighter + (44pts)

* PS 1 - Academy Pilot (12pts)
(Barrel Roll, Evade, Focus)

* PS 1 - Academy Pilot (12pts)

* PS 8 - •"Howlrunner" (20pts)
Swarm Tactics (2pts)

+ Lambda-Class Shuttle + (31pts)

* PS 6 - •Colonel Jendon (31pts)
(Focus, Target Lock)
Fire-Control System (2pts), Weapons Engineer (3pts)

I basically let the academy pilots sprint forward in a staggered formation to block enemy ships while Jendon passes target locks to the scimitar, who focuses and throws concussion missiles out from as far back as I can manage. Howl is at this point just helping out the shuttle and throwing a PS8 onto the bomber. Once the distance begins to close or if the TIEs get splattered/outmaneuvered earlier than expected, she will close and contribute where she can.

With this build I absolutely DESTROYED the aforementioned Han Solo w/ engine mod, Tarn Mison, Jek Porkins w/ Veteran Instincts build that so thoroughly trounced my mini swarm the game before. I think I managed to block the Falcon from moving for something like 3 turns straight. Sitting duck for those focused concussion missiles and the shuttle's guns. I've never gotten an opponent so pissed as when I pulled a 0 move with the shuttle and caused the x-wings to pile up immediately after the falcon went down, too. It was great fun.

I want to buy another TIE Bomber.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Played my Garven, Dutch, Hobbie Target Lock build in a tournament over the weekend. Ended up with 14 people; pretty good turnout considering it was our first X-Wing event!

Game 1 vs Fell, Whisper and Doom Shuttle
Lost 0 to 100
While I nearly destroyed all of his ships, and Hobbie did good work Stressing Soontir and Whisper, he out-flew me and I couldn't close finish anyone off. At least he only got to use Darth Vader once.
Highlight of the Match: Missing the Ion Turret roll that would have given Soontir a second damage and put him on an Asteroid, probably destroying him.

Game 2 vs Corran and two B-Wings
Won 52 to 32
Managed to focus fire on one B-Wing to destroy it right off the bat. Corran then flew off and didn't have any shots for several turns, and I managed to kill his other B-Wing. After that, he couldn't keep up with my damage, though I couldn't kill off Corran because of R2-D2.
Highlight of the Match: Flubbed up my Formation, bumping Garven into a B-Wing and landing on an Asteroid, causing Hobbie to bump into Garven and be on the Asteroid as well.

Game 3 vs Ten Numb, Roark, Luke, and a Tala
Lost 28 to 100
Completely misjudged where his ships were going, and he managed to kill Hobbie turn 2. While I eventually managed to kill Luke, I couldn't get any good shots with Garven, and Roark's Blaster Turret just shredded everyone.
Highlight of the Match: Killing Luke at Range 3 with Garven with 3 hits and no evades on Luke's part.

Game 4 vs Fel, Carnor, and Whisper
Won 100 to 0
We closed up Turn 1, but I managed to pop both Stealth Devices off with Torpedos. I then stayed in formation and focus-fired each of his ships down in turn. Carnor was annoying, but I got it to work with Target Locks.
Highlight of the Match: After chewing through Whisper's Shields, killing her off with a Direct Hit.

Overall, pretty pleased with how it worked, though I need to work on my maneuvering more. Hobbie especially was pretty awesome for giving out Stress everywhere. Deadeye on Garven pretty much guaranteed I'd pass off his Focus when I used the Torpedos, but I don't think it did enough compared to a R7 Astromech, so I'll probably switch that back. I think I'll also get rid of the Munitions Failsafes, as I used one all day. Maybe I'll give Garven a better EPT with the extra points or replace Hobbie with Jek Porkins or Wes Janson. Should be fun!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I always feel like that if you are going for a swarm of inties, you might as well go 4xRGPs with PtL, since it gives you the maneuverability and staying power you need thanks to the double actions pretty much every single turn. Also PS6 is pretty great as well. I don't really know if an extra Intie is worth not having PtL on all of your dudes.

I fly this a lot but I feel like I really struggle against higher-skill pilots that can barrel roll or boost.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

As much as I miss the squint swarm, I think it's effectively been replaced by the phantom swarm. That extra die is really good and they more or less fly like x-wings after decloaking so it's not too bad.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Played my Garven, Dutch, Hobbie Target Lock build in a tournament over the weekend. Ended up with 14 people; pretty good turnout considering it was our first X-Wing event!

Game 1 vs Fell, Whisper and Doom Shuttle
Lost 0 to 100
While I nearly destroyed all of his ships, and Hobbie did good work Stressing Soontir and Whisper, he out-flew me and I couldn't close finish anyone off. At least he only got to use Darth Vader once.
Highlight of the Match: Missing the Ion Turret roll that would have given Soontir a second damage and put him on an Asteroid, probably destroying him.

Game 2 vs [url="http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!75:56,36,-1,3:-1:3:;44:43,-1,58,-1:-1:-1:;44:43,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:"]Corran and two B-Wings[/url]
Won 52 to 32
Managed to focus fire on one B-Wing to destroy it right off the bat. Corran then flew off and didn't have any shots for several turns, and I managed to kill his other B-Wing. After that, he couldn't keep up with my damage, though I couldn't kill off Corran because of R2-D2.
Highlight of the Match: Flubbed up my Formation, bumping Garven into a B-Wing and landing on an Asteroid, causing Hobbie to bump into Garven and be on the Asteroid as well.

Game 3 vs Ten Numb, Roark, Luke, and a Tala
Lost 28 to 100
Completely misjudged where his ships were going, and he managed to kill Hobbie turn 2. While I eventually managed to kill Luke, I couldn't get any good shots with Garven, and Roark's Blaster Turret just shredded everyone.
Highlight of the Match: Killing Luke at Range 3 with Garven with 3 hits and no evades on Luke's part.

Game 4 vs Fel, Carnor, and Whisper
Won 100 to 0
We closed up Turn 1, but I managed to pop both Stealth Devices off with Torpedos. I then stayed in formation and focus-fired each of his ships down in turn. Carnor was annoying, but I got it to work with Target Locks.
Highlight of the Match: After chewing through Whisper's Shields, killing her off with a Direct Hit.

Overall, pretty pleased with how it worked, though I need to work on my maneuvering more. Hobbie especially was pretty awesome for giving out Stress everywhere. Deadeye on Garven pretty much guaranteed I'd pass off his Focus when I used the Torpedos, but I don't think it did enough compared to a R7 Astromech, so I'll probably switch that back. I think I'll also get rid of the Munitions Failsafes, as I used one all day. Maybe I'll give Garven a better EPT with the extra points or replace Hobbie with Jek Porkins or Wes Janson. Should be fun!

If making this post wasn't too much effort I'd love to see this format become the standard. The acronyms and cute list names people use can be mighty confusing for newbies.

Edit:

Chill la Chill posted:

As much as I miss the squint swarm, I think it's effectively been replaced by the phantom swarm. That extra die is really good and they more or less fly like x-wings after decloaking so it's not too bad.

Case in point.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 8, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Case in point.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Squint

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/swarm

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4795

The only one of those that's confusing is "Squint" because it's EU in-universe slang. :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StuG Jeebus posted:

I fly this a lot but I feel like I really struggle against higher-skill pilots that can barrel roll or boost.
You could do a soontir with PtL and targeting comp, two RGPs with PtL and an alpha if you wanted to stick to four inties. At that point you might as well get phantoms though :shrug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard posted:

Case in point.
I picked it up from the x-wing books but I could've sworn it was referred to that on one of the cards. Maybe an LCG card?

e: \/ \/ We can always hope they'll show up in scum and villainy. They did dress up as a misfit band of pirates, after all.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 8, 2014

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
One of these days I'm going to drat the rules and run a Wraith Squadron wing of X-Wings and Interceptors and I will have a great goddamned time.

I understand balance and keeping factions distinct but I would sell an organ to get a Wraith Squadron expansion, and I'll never have the chance because I'm pretty sure the Allston estate wouldn't ok it even if FFG asked. :(

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Did videos ever go up for the Gencon finals? I really want to see those.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SageNytell posted:

One of these days I'm going to drat the rules and run a Wraith Squadron wing of X-Wings and Interceptors and I will have a great goddamned time.

I understand balance and keeping factions distinct but I would sell an organ to get a Wraith Squadron expansion, and I'll never have the chance because I'm pretty sure the Allston estate wouldn't ok it even if FFG asked. :(

90% guaranteed that they will eventually run out of new ships to make and will print Imperial Zs and Rebel TIEs and etc.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tekopo posted:

You could do a soontir with PtL and targeting comp, two RGPs with PtL and an alpha if you wanted to stick to four inties. At that point you might as well get phantoms though :shrug:

Pretty huge difference in pilot skills between the basic Phantoms and the RG Interceptors, though. Not to mention Fel.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Gate posted:

Pretty huge difference in pilot skills between the basic Phantoms and the RG Interceptors, though. Not to mention Fel.
It'd probably be best just going for Whisper with VI/ACD, echo with VI/ACD and fill up on academy pilots. Low PS Inties and low PS phantoms suffer from the same problem really.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SageNytell posted:

I doubt the Allston estate would have a say. Those books were written under contract and everything in them belongs to Lucas Licensing and now Disney.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Barnes And Noble paid off - got my 2nd A-Wing, finally, after checking every hobby store in the area. They even had a Millennium Falcon too, but it had the radar dish snapped off and the packaging was really busted up. Passed on that one - I already have one, and it's the only ship where I feel really weird, flavor-wise, seeing two in play.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Clearly that is the one Lando pilots.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ville Valo posted:

Barnes And Noble paid off - got my 2nd A-Wing, finally, after checking every hobby store in the area. They even had a Millennium Falcon too, but it had the radar dish snapped off and the packaging was really busted up. Passed on that one - I already have one, and it's the only ship where I feel really weird, flavor-wise, seeing two in play.

I didn't even realize there was an A-Wing scarcity. My game shop has four.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I didn't even realize there was an A-Wing scarcity. My game shop has four.
Everything from wave 2 is scare right now, especially falcons

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ville Valo posted:

You could have bought it and sent it in to FFG

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Edit: Not related enough.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 9, 2014

susan
Jan 14, 2013
A'ight, newb question time. There's a 130pt tournament happening locally in a couple weeks, and my brother and I are interested in making this our first tournament, having played a grand total of 5 games each up to now. Yay! I'm considering a list that looks like this:

Rookie Pilot (21)
"Dutch" Vander + R2-D2 + Ion Cannon Turret (32)
Ten Numb + Marksmanship (34)
Chewbacca + Millennium Falcon (43)

He'll probably run a 2 Phantom + 4 Tie Fighter list of some kind, because those are the only ships he has (he's really liking "Whisper" + Fire-Control System + Veteran Instincts + Advanced Cloaking Device (39)). Thoughts?

Me_Game
May 21, 2010

Alas, poor Johnny! I knew him, Mark, a fellow of infinite greetings, of most questionable fancy. He hath pet me on my head a thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is! My dick rises at it.
Ordered some Gencon stuff from eBay and tried them out tonight. I ran a variant on something I saw in this thread since it seemed crazy and different from what I'd normally try:

Keyan Farlander (29) [B Wing]
Advanced Sensors (3)
Push the Limit (3)
B-Wing E2 (1)
Kyle Katarn (3)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)

Dash Rendar (36) [YT-2400]
Leebo (2)
Outrider (5)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Predator (3)
Cluster Missiles (4)

My friend/opponent fielded:

Commander Kenkirk (44) [VT-49 Decimator]
Dauntless (2)
Ysanne Isard (4)

Carnor Jax (26) [TIE Interceptor]

Academy Pilot (12) [TIE Fighter] x2

I thought a two pilot build would really be tenable but the maneuverability of these pilots and the strength of the attacks was pretty great. There were a few mistakes early where I forgot to cancel crits on the Heavy Laser which possible could have changed the game. At one point during the end my friend forgot to take his focus action which theoretically could have changed the outcome. We play pretty causally but at that point I had already attacked and he had already rolled defense dice.

Either way it was a super close game. Early game his Interceptor flew in close to try and take advantage of Jax's ability to null focus and evade tokens, but I had anticipated his move and scored a direct hit with a Range 1 B Wing in the third round. Meanwhile I had been using Rendar's ability to ignore obstacles during movement to keep both my ships as far from the Decimator as possible, which was slowly but surely making its way around the asteroids and debris placed mostly in the center of the map. Eventually he got some shots in on the Outrider but it escaped with full hull and no shields. Before fleeing I had fired the Cluster Missiles which was extremely useful against a ship with no evade. Took down all his shields and hit for 2 hull damage in one shot. At that point he could follow me through the Asteroids and risk his ship or follow the B Wing and he chose the B Wing, splitting off one TIE to chase Dash.

I shot down the TIE by using the barrel roll to stay out of Range One. At this point I really messed up maneuvering the B Wing and managed to go a few turns with no shots while my shields we're torn to shreds. With my shields gone I got in one more crit against the Decimator and then on the next turn killed the TIE at range one before being shot down by the Decimator.

At this point it was the Outrider with 3 Hull vs the Decimator at 5. I tried to stick at range 3 to take advantage of the Heavy Laser. One of the turns was where my friend forgot his Focus and I got a strong hit, and he hit back in return. At the end of the game it was 1 hull each and I fired first. Got 3 hits and even with Ysanne Isard giving a free Evade and an dice due to his pilot ability he couldn't possibly roll enough to block it.

It was a really fun build to fly and I might try it again, maybe with a Heavy Laser Cannon on Keyan Farlander instead of the ordinance. It was a pretty close game and really either of us could of one especially since I accidentally cheated at the beginning and he forgot his action near the end. I might run it again and try to win more legitimately. Either way the new ships are awesome and I'm really looking forward to trying out the new A Wing pilots and upgrades.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Mara Jade on the Kenkirk Dauntless, along with Engine upgrade to slam into dudes more readily and get bonus actions off the slam is pretty legit. With Mara Jade when you run into guys your stress is going to lock them out of whatever manuevers they need to not hit you again while shooting.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Probably going to play on tomorrow evening, and I was thinking of fielding this , well, stub of a list:
A fat Kyle (title+recon+blaster turret
Garven Dreis, which would act as my main hitter, dont know what kind of upgrades to give him
Biggs, probably with a shield upgrade and R2D2.
What do you think so far, considering I own the following:
Starter set
X wing
B wing
Hwk 290
Imp aces
Tie Defender

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 9, 2014

Dunkelgelb
Apr 19, 2012
My local game store is running an interesting tournament - 32 points, one ship only. Looks like there will be a lot of shuttle variants.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dunkelgelb posted:

My local game store is running an interesting tournament - 32 points, one ship only. Looks like there will be a lot of shuttle variants.

That is a really loving bad point limit specifically because it means that taking an Omicron with upgrades is your best shot at winning as an Imp, since it's 3att and 10hp. Soontir or two TIEs won't stand up to a B with Sensors and HLC or even Wedge with an EPT, so you have basically no options (although comedy option, you could run a Shadow with ACD and Intelligence Agent to annoy all the low PS ships).

e; :laffo: it's even one ship only, I glossed over that. You should tell your store to reconsider, because 32 points as a Rebel is not 32 points as an Imperial.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 9, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
32 points is actually pretty terrible.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

In what world are people living where theyd rather take a shuttle than soontir to a 32 pt battle?

Also agreed 32 points is stupid

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I will bet you anything that it was done to avoid having the entire tourney be Echos with VI and ACD. It's still really terrible number of points.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

In what world are people living where theyd rather take a shuttle than soontir to a 32 pt battle?

The world where Soontir is made of paper and will explode when looked at sideways, i.e. this world.

e; this is assuming you stay with Imps, otherwise I'd just run the aforementioned Blue+Sensors+HLC or Test Pilot Tycho with PtL, Expert Handling, Experimental Interface and Refit.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 9, 2014

Dunkelgelb
Apr 19, 2012
I'm not too familiar with the local meta, I only play casually, but I'd guess it's to prevent phantoms dominating. I'll post up the results if I attend.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sigma-X posted:

Mara Jade on the Kenkirk Dauntless, along with Engine upgrade to slam into dudes more readily and get bonus actions off the slam is pretty legit. With Mara Jade when you run into guys your stress is going to lock them out of whatever manuevers they need to not hit you again while shooting.

You can't boost if you would end up bumping another ship.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Sigma-X posted:

You can't boost to slam into dudes; a boost has to be unobstructed. You can make a Daredevil turn to run into someone, but it gives you a stress so you can't use your free Dauntless action.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

So my Decimator's female peg end is loose as heck. Any time I pick it up it comes off the peg. It's annoying to have to pick it up by the base when it may be surrounded by enemy ships. Anyone tried to tighten their peg hole up? (:heysexy:) I have no idea where to start aside from gluing a peg into it, which I don't want to do.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

alg posted:

So my Decimator's female peg end is loose as heck. Any time I pick it up it comes off the peg. It's annoying to have to pick it up by the base when it may be surrounded by enemy ships. Anyone tried to tighten their peg hole up? (:heysexy:) I have no idea where to start aside from gluing a peg into it, which I don't want to do.

Blue tack should work and it is reversible and non-destructive.

Me_Game
May 21, 2010

Alas, poor Johnny! I knew him, Mark, a fellow of infinite greetings, of most questionable fancy. He hath pet me on my head a thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is! My dick rises at it.
Question: Is purposefully revealing a red maneuver when you already have a stress kosher? I know it's against the rules and it states something to the effect of you remove the dial and don't get to move, but I could see how occasionally not moving would be an advantage. I've never seen it done nor have I done it myself which makes me think it's not something you're supposed to do, but I was wondering. Would it be considered unsportsmanlike or is it a legitimate strategy?

Me_Game fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you reveal a red manager with a stress, your opponent gets to choose another (non-red, non-board-leaving) maneuver. Green maneuvers chosen in this way do not clear stress.

Don't do it.

• Locked thread