Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Cleretic posted:

I didn't like the swordy-spoony scene, but not because of its ridiculousness. It was just kind of painfully shot, since they had to obscure the fact that a spoon is an awkward as poo poo weapon to be dueling with and the fact that they couldn't actually shoot the duel in a realistic way (partly because of probable lack of training, partly because, again, spoon). The duel with the Sheriff was just fine if a little shaky, but the one with the Doctor didn't really work.

Well, the Doctor did say he learned from Errol Flynn, who specialized in staged duels that looked cool but wouldn't work in real life. But yeah, the main thing is that Robin was just screwing around, not fighting to the death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jurgan posted:

The War Doctor. The entire arc of series 7 was about him running from his past, so what could be scarier than coming face to face with it?

Finding out for sure whether or not Adric was right.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

CobiWann posted:

I love how they actually dealt with some of that in Spare Parts.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

He blew up instead of stopping the ship. Prrrrretty sure that makes him wrong. :v:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Potsticker posted:

I could get behind this theory-- except that Clara hasn't touched the Sonic Screwdriver

*Snigger*

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Eiba posted:

This is absolutely hilarious.

I guess it's a fantastic example of how you notice posts you disagree with more than ones you agree with or something? I don't know, it's amusing whatever the case.
This is entirely possible, and if I were to re-read the thread with this in mind, it may paint a less negative picture. But hell if I'm going to go put that kind of effort in. I'll just assume you're right, and apologize for being a negative nancy about the thread hate.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's called Confirmation Bias

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's called Confirmation Bias
No need to be condescending.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

LividLiquid posted:

Have you met MrL_JaKiri?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Well, this episode was the most fun I had with Doctor Who in I don't know how long. :toot:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I was replying to a question in the quote you posted:

quote:

I guess it's a fantastic example of how you notice posts you disagree with more than ones you agree with or something? I don't know

It's called confirmation bias

I don't see how that's condescending?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

He was just telling you the name for the term. It's something everyone experiences, so I'm sure he didn't mean it as an insult.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

*Snigger*

:sweatdrop:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

He was just telling you the name for the term. It's something everyone experiences, so I'm sure he didn't mean it as an insult.
He assumed I didn't know what confirmation bias was, and mansplained it to me, which is condescending.

But all is forgiven. Let's just move on.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

He assumed I didn't know what confirmation bias was, and mansplained it to me, which is condescending.

:what: He literally just said what the term is, and since you described the phenomenon clumsily instead of saying "confirmation bias", it wasn't an unreasonable assumption to think you didn't know the term.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

He assumed I didn't know what confirmation bias was

I assumed the other guy didn't, given he said he didn't know what it was called.

I've been a condescending jerk lots of times, this is not one of them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Could everyone please get Doctor avatars so I can pretend this derail about condescension (or lack thereof) is part of a multi doctor episode? Thanks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

Could everyone please get Doctor avatars so I can pretend this derail about condescension (or lack thereof) is part of a multi doctor episode? Thanks.
I'm totally going to start imagining discussions I think are stupid as coming from the voices of characters in the avatars now. That sounds like it'd be hilarious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Does DoctorWhat's count already?

Oh, and for any Big Finish peeps who ordered the big BF Who anniversary crossover, they first moved it up to the end of this week... then just released the freakin' thing today. So if you ordered direct from them, the download should be in your account right now. I've downloaded it, but not listened, because I'm mainlining an X-Men podcast right now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

If some avatar fairy would grant me a few avatar certs, then I would change mine to Tom Baker and instead of regenerating into Five immediately, over the next few weeks, I would just find pictures where he looks progressively drunker and zoom in closer on his face each time that I have to re-buy an avatar. Maybe for the last one, I'll just put Tom himself in the clown car and see if they let me keep it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah, well, hmm. Have you tried not being condescending? I was saying something to Charley the other day about this...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
He wasn't being condescending, you people are just too sensitive these days.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Meow.
-The Thirteenth Doctor

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He wasn't being condescending, you people are just too sensitive these days.

That doesn't sound a bit like the Seventh Doctor!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

because of this week's episode i decided on a whim to rewatch Prince of Thieves for the first time in 20ish years. the extended cut too.

Moffat's greatest crime.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, well, hmm. Have you tried not being condescending? I was saying something to Charley the other day about this...

YOU were saying it? Oh, dear, I think I'm having another identity crisis.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I'm on board for an irreverent DWwiki penned by goons. Will happily do some of the writing/entries for it.

What's your email address?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Hi, I was rewatching the Children of Earth yesterday and that was pretty great. Bye.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'll start writing some stuff then I'll get bored and stop like my review of the Krotons

(Pre-season training has started, so I'm low on time and energy if anyone cares)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Your Personal Muse posted:

Hi, I was rewatching the Children of Earth yesterday and that was pretty great. Bye.

Why you!!!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you made a wiki I might chip in on on the things I have knowledge of after seeing your guidelines, when I have time. I prefer to have no administrative responsibility or commitment and will be part of absolutely no drama when people start disagreeing on how to do things, though.

e: I'm so generous.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

That doesn't sound a bit like the Seventh Doctor!

There are far bigger issues in this thread than Jakiri's prickly demeanor. For one, this lunacy about a goon-made DW wiki.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Honestly, you'll all go insane. Don't do it! :smith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Imagine four Doctor Who continuities on the edge of a cliff

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There are far bigger issues in this thread than Jakiri's prickly demeanor. For one, this lunacy about a goon-made DW wiki.

But see if the likeliest thing happens, which is that it explodes into factions and intense arguments and bad design mock-ups before it even hits the ground, it has the potential to be the funniest thing since the Zybourne Clock and if not, it virtually has to be better than the TARDISpedia or whatever.

e:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Imagine four Doctor Who continuities on the edge of a cliff

This basically, except with pictures of Doctor What's coat and angry jibes edited into every Moffat entry by PriorMarcus

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

What's your email address?

doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail.com

Let's run this thing into the ground!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yes. Yes. To hold in my hand a article that contains such power, to know that editing and re-editing on such a scale was my choice. To know that the tiny pressure on my thumb, enough to click 'publish', would change everything. Yes, I would do it! That power would set me up above even TARDISpedia. And through the Wiki, I shall have that power!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just want to write the real world POV article on Doctor Who/Godzilla fan fiction.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Please include an entry on sex but have the entire text be "If you're reading about it here, give up on it forever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why does that wiki have the weird POV callout boxes, anyway?

• Locked thread