Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Re: old letters justifiably making GBS threads all over their recipient (leftmost column, transcription below):

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/01/to-my-old-master.html

[It is almost too good to be true, but being provably from 1865 I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt]

Link to microfiche archive of the NY Daily Tribune at the Library of Congress, August 22, 1865, page 7: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030213/1865-08-22/ed-1/seq-7/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PaganGoatPants posted:

Those dudes on that skyscraper. :stonk:

There's no schadenfreude here except for people with acrophobia I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-R5NJb-dRI

A friend who saw this was saying, welp at least the backpacks are probably parachutes, right? Pretty sure they had cameras and tripods in there.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/02/gulabi-gang-indias-women-warrriors-201422610320612382.html

The Gulabi gang is a gang of women in India that beat up abusers with brooms.

EDIT: I found a better link because the video's not in English. :saddowns:

Violet_Sky has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Sep 7, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

syscall girl posted:

A friend who saw this was saying, welp at least the backpacks are probably parachutes, right? Pretty sure they had cameras and tripods in there.

This is so incredible. Do they have videos of any of the other buildings they've climbed?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHZPEkZCqwA

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This is so incredible. Do they have videos of any of the other buildings they've climbed?

They climb stuff all over the place, but I believe that was their only video.

However, they do at least photograph all their climbs.
http://500px.com/dedmaxopka

It's well worth poring through every image.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

This will get you jumped in Portland.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

treizebee posted:

Thanks, these are fabulous.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

https://twitter.com/LanningSpencer/status/508738201671192576

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

treizebee posted:

:3:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Easily the coolest play of the year :allears:

brokowski
May 13, 2013
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGUoRd6eCg
The most beautiful cops segment.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

No, it's this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJS4hz1MlsY

nm, that clip edits out the best part :saddowns:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Would-be burglar discovers the limits of solipsism when he breaks into a home and starts beating the woman inside:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2014/09/03/12-news-homeowner-shoots-intruder-on-911-audio/14989333/

quote:

Homeowner: I see.... Hurry, hurry! They're coming in right now, please, please, please, please!

Dispatcher: Yes. They're coming out as fast as they. I promise you. They're, they're coming out there as fast as they can. I got a lot of officers responding. And, I'm getting, and as everything you're telling me I'm typing in and other dispatchers are giving it to them immediately. They're getting all of this information.

Homeowner: They're breaking out my window.

Dispatcher: Are you in your bedroom or?

Homeowner: My bathroom.

Dispatchers: Yes. They're coming out as fast as they can I've got a lot of officers responding. Is there an alley behind your house?

Homeowner: (Whispering) yes.

Dispatcher: You back up to the canal, right?

Homeowner: (Whispering) yes.

Dispatcher: Yes. Okay. You don't need to answer anything. I'm just going to stay on the line with you. Okay?

(Garbled screaming. Phone dials. Gunshot.)

Michael Lewis: Ow! (Expletive.) What was that? What was that? What was that? (Expletive) did you do?

Dispatcher: What happened?

(Garbled)

Homeowner: Did you think you could beat me half to death?

(Garbled)

Michael Lewis: I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Watch the first 1:20 of this and then skip to 5:20 for more fun with balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmyzAXMNi5I

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

That prick should have been taken off the field in handcuffs. And that's coming from a life-long Steelers fan.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So besides being balls-hot for 5 months out of the year, there are very few severe weather events in the desert areas of Arizona. Look forward to the winter, when AZ people smugly comment on the facebook posts of out-of-state friends stuck in blizzards and having roads closed.

But then, sometimes, this happens.

That is a ton of rain from today. That is not a flooded river/stream/canal, that is an enormous amount of rain water that cannot drain fast enough.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

So besides being balls-hot for 5 months out of the year, there are very few severe weather events in the desert areas of Arizona. Look forward to the winter, when AZ people smugly comment on the facebook posts of out-of-state friends stuck in blizzards and having roads closed.

But then, sometimes, this happens.

That is a ton of rain from today. That is not a flooded river/stream/canal, that is an enormous amount of rain water that cannot drain fast enough.

"As of this morning, the rainfall at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport had reached 2.96 inches"

So apparently the issue is Arizona just doesn't HAVE drains? We got 6 inches of rain over 2-3 hours in one day this summer. My basement flooded with 2 feet of water and it filled one of my window wells, shattering an egress window with the pressure. That was definitely a lot of rain. I don't understand how 3 inches of rain could do what is pictured above.

Ragequit has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Sep 8, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

It was 5-6 inches in other areas of the valley. It's about twice the rain that they usually get over a day of big storms, and it all fell within a matter of hours. The soil here is different too. 6-24 inches under the topsoil is a hard, nearly impermeable layer of caliche, which behaves pretty much exactly like concrete. That does poor things to drainage.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

"As of this morning, the rainfall at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport had reached 2.96 inches"

So apparently the issue is Arizona just doesn't HAVE drains? We got 6 inches of rain over 2-3 hours in one day this summer. My basement flooded with 2 feet of water and it filled one of my window wells, shattering an egress window with the pressure. That was definitely a lot of rain. I don't understand how 3 inches of rain could do what is pictured above.

It's the same reason the South shifts into apocalypse-mode when it snows. Some regions just don't have the infrastructure to handle once-in-a-great-while weather events. And apparently the rain in Arizona is once-in-a-100-years type of event.

Plus, it's the loving desert. There's no basins,retention areas, rivers or lakes for all this water to go. It's all flat loving plains.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Thwomp posted:

It's the same reason the South shifts into apocalypse-mode when it snows. Some regions just don't have the infrastructure to handle once-in-a-great-while weather events. And apparently the rain in Arizona is once-in-a-100-years type of event.

That 30 years of climate change denialism that's so prevalent in the south red states, that's the schadenfreude for me, and it's gonna keep on giving year after year - at least until the arctic CO2 store releases

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's not plains, it's rocky hills and hard dirt. Unlike rainy regions, the ground can't absorb much water at all so it all rolls downhill, and I-10 is downhill. Valley of the Sun etc etc.

e: and let's see your area get half it's annual rainfall total in three hours and come out grinning.

carry on then has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Sep 8, 2014

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Ragequit posted:

Weird. You'd think a city in the middle of a literal desert would be more well equipped for rain.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, today was really fun. I think the Schadenfreude will be me when I get home and see how much damage there is.

And no, there is no drainage system here that can handle 3" of rain over a few hours.

Edit:

Here's another of the I-10 shot from what appears to be a camera from a 1st gen RAZR

Phanatic posted:

Why? Why would you expect a city in the middle of a literal desert to install storm drains and retention basins and etc etc for rain events that only happen very rarely? It's like expecting Miami to prepare for snow.

:thejoke:

Maker Of Shoes has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Sep 8, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mds2 posted:

Weird. You'd think a city in the middle of a literal desert would be more well equipped for rain.

Why? Why would you expect a city in the middle of a literal desert to install storm drains and retention basins and etc etc for rain events that only happen very rarely? It's like expecting Miami to prepare for snow.

The schaedenfreudest part of it is the people who inevitably decide to drive through feet of standing water. I lived in Phoenix for a few years, and there are a number of surface streets that pass below the highways. I don't just mean that there's a highway overpass, I mean the surface street literally has a dip where it goes down well below grade, you go down a hill and back up. So obviously those are places you don't want to be in a flash flood. Just as obviously, they're were a bunch of water accumulates and makes them impassable. And to drive the obviousness home, there are signs in front of them that say not to enter them when they're flooded.

Example.

But it never fails. Ever. Every single time there's a flood a bunch of hayseeds try to drive right on through. You can hear the dull impact of hydrolock echoing across the valley.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Sep 8, 2014

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Phanatic posted:

Because sarcasm.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Does the rain not replenish the oasis?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pookerbug posted:

That prick should have been taken off the field in handcuffs. And that's coming from a life-long Steelers fan.

He's trying to hurdle the guy. Except the guy is a punter, so the punter doesn't know how to tackle and thus doesn't make the move the guy is expecting.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of football schadenfreude, Ray Rice is out of a job

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Shaucenfreud from yesterdays Dallas and 49ers game, watching Romo try to make a pass. :laffo:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Shaucenfreud from yesterdays Dallas and 49ers game, watching Romo try to make a pass. :laffo:

Nothing good comes from Tony Romo passing attempts.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
He's a good way to gently caress up your back

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pookerbug posted:

You're a bad fan and that play ruled. And that's coming from a life-long Steelers hater.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TheBigAristotle posted:

He's a good way to gently caress up your back bet

ftfy

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

His poor skeleton :ohdear:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

canyoneer posted:

It was 5-6 inches in other areas of the valley. It's about twice the rain that they usually get over a day of big storms, and it all fell within a matter of hours. The soil here is different too. 6-24 inches under the topsoil is a hard, nearly impermeable layer of caliche, which behaves pretty much exactly like concrete. That does poor things to drainage.

Thanks for the info. I figured the soil composition would be different, but I didn't think it would be that bad. Crazy stuff.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Dez Bryant died for the Cowboys' sins, and on the third day the 'Boys went on to win the Super Bowl :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014

syscall girl posted:

This is the stuff of nightmares. How is it even possible to be that high up and NOT be afraid? My father used to install glass in skyscrapers and I could never wrap my mind around how it is humanly possible to not be scared shitless by being up that high.

• Locked thread