Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OddObserver posted:

^^^^^^
Let's be real here. It won't have the same effect not because of international politics, but because the Finns would be treated as "real" Europeans (like, says, the Dutch), whose deaths actually matter, unlike these third world Ukrainians, which are only noticeable because Russia is the aggressor in the first place.

I mean, yeah, that's definitely part of it. But another part of it is that people are just more used to Finland being an independent, neutral country than Ukraine. It's been its own country for a lot longer, and it was as neutral a state as possible during the Cold War. Ukraine, on the other hand? Pretty much synonymous with "Russian client state" for most people in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

While I would be hesitant to rely on witness accounts for stuff like this, I do want to confirm one thing: Moscow[*] accent does stick out a lot. It's not the base/generic/news anchor dialect.

[*] Not actually limited to there, but the relatives I have that use it as Muscovites.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

OddObserver posted:

While I would be hesitant to rely on witness accounts for stuff like this, I do want to confirm one thing: Moscow[*] accent does stick out a lot. It's not the base/generic/news anchor dialect.

[*] Not actually limited to there, but the relatives I have that use it as Muscovites.

Also the BUK that shot down the plane has been seen being driven by the Russian Army flying a Russian flag.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Also the BUK that shot down the plane has been seen being driven by the Russian Army flying a Russian flag.

Yeah, though that doesn't mean they didn't "forget the keys in ignition" 50m from the border.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, though that doesn't mean they didn't "forget the keys in ignition" 50m from the border.

And the instruction manual, don't forget that.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Nonsense posted:

They bought it on the local Sunday market from a kind old woman, not their fault the Russian flag was on it. Jeez some of you people. :rolleyes:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Batham posted:

They bought it on the local Sunday market from a kind old woman, not their fault the Russian flag was on it. Jeez some of you people. :rolleyes:

You're all rubes. It was clearly a false flag operation from the Homojunta.

Literally a false flag operation. On account of there being a flag.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

eXXon posted:

Wow, that really is some brutal torture right there.

not saying it is. Just that tensions between the sides are rising and whatever the outcome is it won't die out in a day or a few years.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

El Scotch posted:

And the instruction manual, don't forget that.

Not a very good one apparently.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So long as the same BuK is being used now by the Russian army, it's functionally the same thing whether Russian army operators shot the plane down or separatists did it after the Russian army gave it to them. The international community's unwillingness to pin this crime on Russia because they might have to get off their asses about it is staggeringly shameful.

I'm also shocked at the audacity of Russia for not destroying the BuK or at least dumping it in an arsenal deep in Siberia. I'd assumed they'd shot and buried the drivers just to make sure they don't talk.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Dolash posted:

I'm also shocked at the audacity of Russia for not destroying the BuK or at least dumping it in an arsenal deep in Siberia. I'd assumed they'd shot and buried the drivers just to make sure they don't talk.

Why waste a perfectly good Buk system?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Not a very good one apparently.

The page saying "don't shoot down a civilian airliner" was missing.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dolash posted:

Or you know, if it really had a Russian flag in it...just paint it over or some poo poo :psyduck: I'd imagine Russians and Ukrainians share a shitload of military technology.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

DarkCrawler posted:

Or you know, if it really had a Russian flag in it...just paint it over or some poo poo :psyduck: I'd imagine Russians and Ukrainians share a shitload of military technology.

See, the Ukrainians painted a Russian flag on it, shot down the plane, and then the freedom fighters captured the BUK.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

They didn't mothball that thing and hide it from sight? That takes balls, especially after that report comes out tomorrow.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

They didn't mothball that thing and hide it from sight? That takes balls, especially after that report comes out tomorrow.

It was filmed in a column heading to the Ukrainian border a few weeks before the attack, not after. Probably should have done a better job painting over all the markings, not just obscuring the number.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey guys, not to be nitpicking too much, but the system used in the shooting of the airliner is a Buk. It's not an acronym, it's a word. It means "a beech tree" in Russian. I can understand capitalizing the entire word, but occasionally people write it as "BuK", which is weird and makes no sense.

In Poland news, Donald Tusk's government is set to resign on Thursday, as Tusk is moving on to become the President of the European Council in December. He will be replaced as Prime Minister by Ewa Kopacz, previously a poor minister of health and a completely unremarkable speaker of the Sejm. For the first time in months, opinion polls seem to favour the government over the opposition.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tevery Best posted:

For the first time in months, opinion polls seem to favour the government over the opposition.

Those reaalllly don't mean much, whichever way they may sway.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Here is a recent video out of Donbass I think.

Донские казаки идут на помощь братьям в Донбассе (Don Cossacks go to help the brothers in the Donbass) - Google translated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rITiBggfYGo

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

In Poland news, Donald Tusk's government is set to resign on Thursday, as Tusk is moving on to become the President of the European Council in December. He will be replaced as Prime Minister by Ewa Kopacz, previously a poor minister of health and a completely unremarkable speaker of the Sejm. For the first time in months, opinion polls seem to favour the government over the opposition.

I'm still pissed about Tusk getting one of the best paid job in the EU instead of losing next elections and fading into obscurity like most politicians. I guess I don't like this smug bastard even more than I thought.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Tevery Best posted:

Hey guys, not to be nitpicking too much, but the system used in the shooting of the airliner is a Buk. It's not an acronym, it's a word. It means "a beech tree" in Russian. I can understand capitalizing the entire word, but occasionally people write it as "BuK", which is weird and makes no sense.

"Beech" is "Buch" in German too; "Buchenwald" is "beech forest" (or "beech wood" I guess). I'm pretty sure it's the etymological root of "book" in English (and German) because books were bound in beech bark (possibly a complete myth).

Also I speak about as much German as a 2 year old German dog.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

emfive posted:

"Beech" is "Buch" in German too; "Buchenwald" is "beech forest" (or "beech wood" I guess). I'm pretty sure it's the etymological root of "book" in English (and German) because books were bound in beech bark (possibly a complete myth).

Also I speak about as much German as a 2 year old German dog.

It's 'Buche' - 'Buch' is indeed just a book.

3peat
May 6, 2010

As a funny aside, in romanian the word for beech is "fag" so native english speakers probably get confused when they go to a local Carrefour here and see labels like "lemn de fag" (beech wood), "mobila de fag" (beech furniture), etc

Another one like that is the romanian word "crap" which means carp. Doesn't this sound delicious :v:

Some other funny romanian/english pronunciation things: the english word "foot" is pronounced just like the romanian word "fut", which means (I) gently caress. So if someone yells out "my foot!" to a romanian it sounds just like "mai fut!" (I'm still loving/I'm loving some more!)
Or the romanian word "(eu) fac" that means "(I) do" but is pronounced exactly like the english word "gently caress"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The Bulgarian word for 'to drive (a car)' - карати - means 'to gently caress' in Serbian. That can cause some interesting misunderstandings. :v:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

3peat posted:

Some other funny romanian/english pronunciation things: the english word "foot" is pronounced just like the romanian word "fut", which means (I) gently caress. So if someone yells out "my foot!" to a romanian it sounds just like "mai fut!" (I'm still loving/I'm loving some more!)
Or the romanian word "(eu) fac" that means "(I) do" but is pronounced exactly like the english word "gently caress"

I would not pronounce fut like foot (more like foo plus a t than foot, which are not pronounced the same) or fac like gently caress, but then I guess these are not universal pronunciations in either language and I can't find dictionaries with phonetic transcriptions to support my claim.

The most confusing eastern European language thing is that Serbian, Greek and Romani apparently lack definite articles of any sort, not even postposed ones.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

eXXon posted:

The most confusing eastern European language thing is that Serbian, Greek and Romani apparently lack definite articles of any sort, not even postposed ones.

I honestly still don't understand the point of definite articles. What kind of useful information that can't be grasped from context are they supposed to convey? They're completely alien to me, and I have to think about what I'm saying almost every time I use them in English.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am invoking Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty.

- Are you sure you want to invoke the article?

Definitely.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

eXXon posted:

I am invoking Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty.

- Are you sure you want to invoke the article?

Definitely.

:golfclap: A great pun AND topical to boot.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

my dad posted:

I honestly still don't understand the point of definite articles. What kind of useful information that can't be grasped from context are they supposed to convey? They're completely alien to me, and I have to think about what I'm saying almost every time I use them in English.

You don't always have the context.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

my dad posted:

"Give me five"
"Give me a five"
"Give me the five"

all have rather different implied meanings.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Deteriorata posted:

"Give me five"
"Give me a five"
"Give me the five"

He took five (provinces)

3peat
May 6, 2010

eXXon posted:

I would not pronounce fut like foot (more like foo plus a t than foot, which are not pronounced the same) or fac like gently caress, but then I guess these are not universal pronunciations in either language and I can't find dictionaries with phonetic transcriptions to support my claim.

They sound pretty much the same to me (and I pronounce them identically), but I guess they get weird with their vowels in english and you can pronounce them differently. Your pronunciation of fut (foo plus t) sounds like Transylvanian accent tho :v:

I also did a little google search and could only find this joke http://www.sebastianbargau.ro/2011/05/06/banc-moldovenesc/ (lol)
And I also found that there's a wikipedia page for curse words in romanian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_profanity and whoever wrote that felt really poetic that day :D

quote:

n example of this phenomenon is the phrase (Futu-ți) paștele și dumnezeii/Dumnezeul mă-tii astăzi și mâine de nenorocit ("(gently caress) your mother's Easter and [her] God/gods today and tomorrow, you rear end in a top hat"), which can, in theory, be further elaborated. E.g. - Futu-ți Cristoșii mă-tii de câcat rânit cu lopata, meaning (gently caress) your mother's Christ of poo poo taken off with a shovel.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
In Hungary news Orbán is cranking up his project of Putinization again. He was at a Fidesz party meeting on the 6th saying the left-liberals would never return to power and (again) that democracy doesn't need liberalism, then he showed up at one of the country's top univerities on the 7th to tell them that modern democracy had abandoned the necessities of 'principle, honour, greatness, home(land), devotion, rank, order, and firmness' and that the current 'national government' was breaking with the past and beginning a 'new era'.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What are the origins of Fidesz' coziness with Putin?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Rinkles posted:

What are the origins of Fidesz' coziness with Putin?

It's unclear. It goes back at least to 2009, when Orbán (as opposition leader) met Putin at a United Russia congress. If you go back to commentary from that time, there were a lot of questions about what Orbán was aiming to achieve and what the details of their discussions were. Fidesz's pro-Russian stance has steadily hardened from that time.

Eva Balogh has a couple of informative discussions of it in English:

http://hungarianspectrum.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/negotiations-between-putin-and-hungarian-opposition-leader/ (2009)
http://hungarianspectrum.wordpress.com/2010/11/20/viktor-orban-and-russia-continued-confusion/ (2010)
http://hungarianspectrum.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/viktor-orbans-russian-roulette/ (2013)
http://hungarianspectrum.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/viktor-orban-is-the-real-danger-not-the-hungarian-far-right/ (2014)

Like she points out in the last piece, at least part of it is Orbán absorbing ideas from Jobbik, which we know is funded from Moscow; one of their MEPs is even thought to be a Russian spy..

e: It's worth pointing out the enormous irony of all this, for those who don't know: Orbán was one of the main leaders of the movement that toppled communist rule and Fidesz started off as a libertarian, extremely pro-Western party.

Zohar fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 9, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Appreciate it, thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zohar posted:

e: It's worth pointing out the enormous irony of all this, for those who don't know: Orbán was one of the main leaders of the movement that toppled communist rule and Fidesz started off as a libertarian, extremely pro-Western party.

If I was a Polish right wing conspiracy theorist, I'd suspect he was an informant during the communist regime.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Deteriorata posted:

"Give me five"
"Give me a five"
"Give me the five"

You can still say "give me those five" if you have definite set of five in mind

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Rinkles posted:

If I was a Polish right wing conspiracy theorist, I'd suspect he was an informant during the communist regime.

He was apparently censured for having "Stalinist tendencies" when he was at university under communism :lol:

Honestly, though, my feeling is that it's less to do with financial interests and the like, and more just that Orbán is an enormous narcissist. I think around 2008 he decided the West was actually on the wrong side of history, and he started the 'Eastern opening' and now the illiberal democracy stuff because he can't abide the idea of not going down in the history books as a hero. Not to mention that it lets him play at being a dictator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zohar posted:

Honestly, though, my feeling is that it's less to do with financial interests and the like, and more just that Orbán is an enormous narcissist. I think around 2008 he decided the West was actually on the wrong side of history, and he started the 'Eastern opening' and now the illiberal democracy stuff

I don't think that's that uncommon a sentiment in eastern/central Europe. Except Russia is usually seen as one of the reasons to be banding together, rather than the one they're rallying behind.

I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been punished more for his brash support of Putin given Hungary's communist past.

• Locked thread