Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

MrYenko posted:

If it's not an Osprey, Dash 7.

I mean, look at this ridiculous, beautiful motherfucker:

We may have strayed from the original mission of carry-a-miata, but I don't care. The -7 is ALWAYS the answer.

But the new livery on the Greenland air is just so ugly. The old red and white 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Oldest tsarina is Katerina (Budanova) Lydia (Litvyak) and littlest tsarina is Natalia (Meklin) Yulia (uh, princess Juliana of the Netherlands. Long story, family name thing). I wanted Valentina (Tereshkova) but my wife vetoed that because, and I quote, "That name sounds like it belongs to a forty year old Italian gigolo". My wife is the WASPiest WASP that ever WASPed, though, and while she has many fine qualities, she has no soul and a severe lack of awesome names in her ancestry.

And yeah, man. I know your little comrades. Remember I put Yuriy into, like, half a dozen of my Rogue Trader books?

Ohhhh! You changed your username. :p

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Colonial Air Force posted:

Ohhhh! You changed your username. :p

I did! And so did you, which confused the poo poo outta me for a little while.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This sure is one way to beat the traffic downtown to the footbal game.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2014/09/07/Float-plane-s-arrival-causes-a-stir-in-Downtown-Pittsburgh/stories/201409070284

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
A rather cool *H-53 variant flew past us yesterday on the beach at Assateague - almost silent like the MH-53 I saw in London, but darker grey or green, and with the fatter pontoons and no drop tanks. Had what looked like a refueling boom on the back too. I thought all the Sea Stallion family had been retired now?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Couple of CF-18 looking things flew over Montreal this afternoon, it was pretty cool.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

drgitlin posted:

A rather cool *H-53 variant flew past us yesterday on the beach at Assateague - almost silent like the MH-53 I saw in London, but darker grey or green, and with the fatter pontoons and no drop tanks. Had what looked like a refueling boom on the back too. I thought all the Sea Stallion family had been retired now?

There are a couple of MH-53 squadrons operating out of Norfolk. No refuelling boom on the back; it may have had the tow winch set up. They tow a sled for minesweeping.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

If it's not an Osprey, Dash 7.

I mean, look at this ridiculous, beautiful motherfucker:

We may have strayed from the original mission of carry-a-miata, but I don't care. The -7 is ALWAYS the answer.

I saw one of these not long ago - I think it was a coast guard aircraft used for Ice Patrol. I didn't have my camera with me :/

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

I have almost 2000 hours on a Dash 7. I loved that piece of junk always breaking plane :)

It and the Dash 8s were some of the coolest planes I saw at KAF.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I saw one of these not long ago - I think it was a coast guard aircraft used for Ice Patrol. I didn't have my camera with me :/

The Canadian Coast Guard (Or Transport Canada? Whichever) has one set up for pollution surveillance, it's painted red with a white racing stripe. Because :canada:.

They also use it for ice recon once in a blue moon, and it does an absolutely loving amazing job at that.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

It and the Dash 8s were some of the coolest planes I saw at KAF.

Those Dash 7s you saw at KAF (the all white one and the red stripe one) were the ones I used to fly on :3:

I have a few hours on those Dash 8s there too.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

Those Dash 7s you saw at KAF (the all white one and the red stripe one) were the ones I used to fly on :3:

I have a few hours on those Dash 8s there too.

Any time on any of the Army King Airs they had floating around there?

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Any time on any of the Army King Airs they had floating around there?

yeah, both the GOGO and GOCO ones. (this is OGA, i just changed my name). i actually flew on the one contractor u21 that crashed in 09. pretty weird knowing a bird you flew on crashed.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

mobby_6kl posted:

So... I just realized that I don't really need a flying car, as cool as that'd be. Just a plane big enough to drive a car into. So, what's the smallest transport that can take a Miata? I assume they aren't quite as affordable as ancient 172s but might be something to keep in mind for when my drug business takes off I win a lottery.

I have had a similar thought (though I included rough-fields in my original requirements because it would mostly be for four wheeling out of mine strips in the middle of nowhere, Alaska) and happen to know of two C-123s for sale cheaper than a new C-172.

Edit: VVV If that's the one I think it is, you're halfway to a flying car already with a steering wheel.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 8, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Advent Horizon posted:

I have had a similar thought (though I included rough-fields in my original requirements because it would mostly be for four wheeling out of mine strips in the middle of nowhere, Alaska) and happen to know of two C-123s for sale cheaper than a new C-172.

You'd better make sure neither of them are located in Chino, California.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I'm surprised it's not a special issue of PopSci.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Are those pools of oil under the motors?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
More "stains" than "pools."

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Barnsy posted:

Are those pools of oil under the motors?

If a radial engine isn't leaking oil, it probably doesn't have any in it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

Despite my borderline irrational love of deHavilland designs, the V-22 is the obvious answer here.

I've never been on one but I really like the DHC-2 and -3 and I guess by extension the -6. I have flown the -2 in flight simulator! :P

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I guess it's no wonder the F-35 is so bad if it's an unnecessary sequel to a cult classic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

If a radial Pratt and Whitney engine isn't leaking oil, it probably doesn't have any in it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

MrYenko posted:

If a radial Pratt and Whitney aircraft engine isn't leaking oil, it probably doesn't have any in it.

Fixed for the crew chiefs.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There are a couple of MH-53 squadrons operating out of Norfolk. No refuelling boom on the back; it may have had the tow winch set up. They tow a sled for minesweeping.

That must have been it. Thanks! Are they all that quiet? Last time I saw one it was in London about 12 or 13 years ago and it was utterly silent until it was almost overhead. I guess being quiet helps minesweeping.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

YF19pilot posted:

Fixed for the crew chiefs.

Beat me to it :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Is it actually a leak, or did the drunk pouring the oils just miss the scupper with half the can?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Linedance posted:

Is it actually a leak, or did the drunk pouring the oils just miss the scupper with half the can?

Every engine and most gearboxes I've ever worked on have had a drip rate in the pubs. That rate can be pretty high. On the MH-53E I worked on, the max drip rate out of the back of the intermediate gearbox was something like six drops per minute. That gets into pint-level leaks overnight. If it's leaking from both seals, and the APU and hydraulic manifold are both leaking, you can be looking at just shy of a gallon of mixed oil/fluid in one drain pan over a weekend.

Newer stuff (built in the 2000s at least) is better. The most recent aircraft engine I worked on was four drops per hour. It was a 2013 major overhaul engine and never leaked the entire time we used it. The aircraft stay SCARILY clean when they're not constantly dripping fluids.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Linedance posted:

It's very hard to build a radial with a highly effective captive lube system, so it is normal to bleed oil at all times, and ensure levels are fine as part of preflighting

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Every engine and most gearboxes I've ever worked on have had a drip rate in the pubs. That rate can be pretty high. On the MH-53E I worked on, the max drip rate out of the back of the intermediate gearbox was something like six drops per minute. That gets into pint-level leaks overnight. If it's leaking from both seals, and the APU and hydraulic manifold are both leaking, you can be looking at just shy of a gallon of mixed oil/fluid in one drain pan over a weekend.

Newer stuff (built in the 2000s at least) is better. The most recent aircraft engine I worked on was four drops per hour. It was a 2013 major overhaul engine and never leaked the entire time we used it. The aircraft stay SCARILY clean when they're not constantly dripping fluids.

Are new engines better due to better engineering or higher tolerances?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
53 crew chiefs and maintainers are constantly covered in oil from what I've seen.

and yeah I've learned to just becareful shutting/opening panels on poo poo because if you don't that'll be the day that there is a quart of oil dripped out on the other side of that panel and it'll get all over you

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Somehow my favorite part of EAA is seeing all the warbirds with buckets set up under the engines.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Why has no nation besides the US invested in Gunship aircraft? By this I mean indigenously developed ones; besides the MC-27J and the "AC-235" there really aren't any that aren't based on US designs (the various South American AC-47s don't count, since they're basically evolutions of the original Spooky.) I would think Russia would have at least experimented with the concept, but I've never seen anything suggesting they've done that.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Why has no nation besides the US invested in Gunship aircraft? By this I mean indigenously developed ones; besides the MC-27J and the "AC-235" there really aren't any that aren't based on US designs (the various South American AC-47s don't count, since they're basically evolutions of the original Spooky.) I would think Russia would have at least experimented with the concept, but I've never seen anything suggesting they've done that.

Mostly because, as I understand it, it has a seriously limited engagement profile, basically relegated to COIN or special forces ops in permissive skies. Russia could have used something like it in Chechnya, but that's what conscripts, hinds, and howitzers are for. Outside of that, basically anything but MANPADS will shred the big slow target that's orbiting a position in about no time flat. And I'd think that enough shoulder launchers could do the same.

Also when you look at it from a price perspective, developing all the poo poo that something like a Spooky needs to not get flipped by the howitzer, all the targeting systems, etc, vs say buying a couple dozen Hinds/Frogfoots/whatever indigenous ground strike aircraft, it's a pretty easy choice.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 9, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Yeah but MrYenko's right, give me a GE over a Pratt any day.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Barnsy posted:

Well, less wear, for starters. I have it on personal assurance that by the time Vietnam rolled around, all those A-1 Skyraiders were no longer endurance-limited by fuel load anymore, but by the amount of grease they had. They were so ragged out after twenty years of pounding pistons that the bearings ran dry after every flight just from flinging grease out of them.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Well it's another summer and my hometown/region has burst into flame again. This time around they're basing a couple of the DC-10 Airtankers out of there. Figured you all might appreciate all the random vids that have been popping up from there the past week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rgv2Vpt-7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0OKyhAxGTk
http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154596115265323
and just for fun from a couple weeks back: http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=843408789005622

also: hah, when the hell did the USFS start using a Cobra? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms4RlV6RiXs

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Barnsy posted:

Seal materials that aren't from the Victorian era help. Modern plastics came about soon after WW2. (and in a large part due to the war effort)

Sadly, the engines, haven't seen a major update since about WW2. "New" engines have the full advantage of new, and modern seal technology.

Madurai posted:

Well, less wear, for starters. I have it on personal assurance that by the time Vietnam rolled around, all those A-1 Skyraiders were no longer endurance-limited by fuel load anymore, but by the amount of grease they had. They were so ragged out after twenty years of pounding pistons that the bearings ran dry after every flight just from flinging grease out of them.

Are you suggesting that the pistons were lubricated with grease?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

StandardVC10 posted:

You'd better make sure neither of them are located in Chino, California.

Is that a Lockheed Model 10 in the background? Let's talk about that one.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Naturally Selected posted:

Mostly because, as I understand it, it has a seriously limited engagement profile, basically relegated to COIN or special forces ops in permissive skies. Russia could have used something like it in Chechnya, but that's what conscripts, hinds, and howitzers are for. Outside of that, basically anything but MANPADS will shred the big slow target that's orbiting a position in about no time flat. And I'd think that enough shoulder launchers could do the same.

Not just "could," but "have." The Strela has a couple of AC-130 kills on record in Vietnam and Iraq. Missile launch warning systems and IRCM have gotten better since then, but so have MANPADS. The aircraft itself is an easy target, kinematically speaking.

In short: gunships like the AC-130 are only useful if you're sure that the people on the ground can't shoot back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Nah, forget the Electra. What's this?