Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In the grim darkness of the far future everybody are bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Werix posted:

That might be a thing with the PDFs. The actual physical copy of the book is beautiful to look at and behold. They did an especially fine job in the armory section, the small drawings of the weapons are the best out of all the books, I think especially since they colored them in for a change. The yellowed parchment doesn't bother me, and I find the charts easier to read.

But I guess to each their own.

So how's your book holding up? My buddy that bought it is reporting that his is falling apart to the point that he's concerned its going to start losing pages after a week and building 5 characters for campaign he's working on.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Zereth is right. If you're using standards by which the Imperium is good, you have to go really really far until people start being evil rather than just the other side.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

So how's your book holding up? My buddy that bought it is reporting that his is falling apart to the point that he's concerned its going to start losing pages after a week and building 5 characters for campaign he's working on.

Mine came with about 6 pages already loose.

It's a massive shame that it's so pretty but glued together with crap.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Waci posted:

Zereth is right. If you're using standards by which the Imperium is good, you have to go really really far until people start being evil rather than just the other side.

Yeah when the "least bad" guys are space nazis and a mind-control slave society, really only individuals in 40k have any chance of being good guys. I dunno what the Eldar's deal is, they might be ok, but if I had to guess probably not. The necrons are the real good guys, just let it all end :unsmigghh:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Fellblade posted:

Mine came with about 6 pages already loose.

It's a massive shame that it's so pretty but glued together with crap.

There's a pretty big thread on FFG complaining about the lovely binding - sounds like it's a common issue. FFG is replacing books if you contact customer service with pics of your book falling apart.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah when the "least bad" guys are space nazis and a mind-control slave society, really only individuals in 40k have any chance of being good guys. I dunno what the Eldar's deal is, they might be ok, but if I had to guess probably not. The necrons are the real good guys, just let it all end :unsmigghh:

Eldar are basically the good guys since they're only genocidal dicks at the everyone else when they have something to gain by doing so rather than just doing it for the sake of screwing over everyone else.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Orks are the only good guys in 40k.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Necrons, everyone settled in their planets without permission, its only right they take it back

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

The problem is that FFG is saddled with whatever rules systems GW bequeathed unto them with Dark Heresy 1.0 and that's what people know. In particular, I doubt they will ever change the dice resolution system because that will change how the game works/feels drastically. Could it be for the better? Probably, but because people are used to the system the way it works, they will think it is definitely worse.

As a note, FFG doesn't have to use the system at all. They are just really bad at writing their own rules. See WFRP 3e with it's custom dice. It ended up being a novelty rather than a game worth playing.

FFG does a lot better with RPGs when just refining stuff over time.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Azhais posted:

It's holding together pretty well, I've not noticed anything wrong. My black crusade book is a different. Started falling apart rather quick after it arrived, but that was months ago.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Bought my book at GenCon, haven't cracked it open too much but the binding's already looking suspicious. Could be worse though-I bought three other books on behalf of various friends at the same time, and we found out while playing a session last night that one of them has a pretty bad misprint-Something like pages 210-240 are repeated where pages 241-270 would be.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bought my book at GenCon, haven't cracked it open too much but the binding's already looking suspicious. Could be worse though-I bought three other books on behalf of various friends at the same time, and we found out while playing a session last night that one of them has a pretty bad misprint-Something like pages 210-240 are repeated where pages 241-270 would be.

Email FFG about that and they will replace that. That's the printing companies fault, not FFG. I've had that happen with a few books in the past.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 9, 2014

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Me too, guess I just won the "not a crappy book" lottery.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Clanpot Shake posted:

There's a pretty big thread on FFG complaining about the lovely binding - sounds like it's a common issue. FFG is replacing books if you contact customer service with pics of your book falling apart.

Does this apply to any of the rulebooks, or just Dark Heresy 2.0? Because I just bought a Black Crusade book from my FLGS and drat is it falling apart already.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

LuiCypher posted:

Does this apply to any of the rulebooks, or just Dark Heresy 2.0? Because I just bought a Black Crusade book from my FLGS and drat is it falling apart already.

The thread is specifically about DH2, although someone did mention a problem with their BC book. You could try customer service about BC, though. If it's in otherwise good condition but the glue isn't doing its job they may be cool and send you a replacement.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gaghskull posted:

So my first session of running Black Crusade was yesterday. Here is a summary of a few short things I learned.

#1. Holy poo poo, space marines are fast and absurdly deadly compared to humans.
#2. I am so drat glad I gave one of the opponents a plasma gun, so the marine actually had to fear the enemies.
#3. Having played this system for over 6 years with the same group, I forgot how difficult it can be to explain sometimes, especially to people who haven't played RPGs in years.
#4. Watching people who are normally trying to play heroes be the bad guys is hilarious.

The group managed to get together, wipe out an Imperial patrol and steal their chimera, and pack themselves and a squad of chaos soldiers into the back of the thing like a crazy heretical clown car. Now they are off to the planet's spaceport where they can hopefully find a way off the planet that isn't executions. They have no plan. Life is good.

Deathwatch Space Marines, using the rules from that core book, are even deadlier. Seriously, their bolters dealt 2d10+5 damage, had a rate of fire of S/2/4, and that was just the beginning. Firing on full-auto gave you a +20 BS bonus and made the Heavy Bolter (which was starting equipment for the Devastator Marine, mind you) one of the most powerful weapons in the game with its full-auto RoF of 10. The cheap cost of Kraken rounds also made the Bolter and Heavy Bolter pretty much capable of dealing with any situation right out of the gate, and I've seen a Kill-Team of marines murder a Warboss with several Hordes of boyz without even letting him get into melee distance.

This is not to mention the usual Space Marine over-the-topness, which back then Unnatural Strength and Unnatural Toughness doubled your bonuses instead of giving a flat amount. Basically, as soon as you got a bonus of at least 5 in Strength or Toughness, it became much better than the flat bonuses given in the newer systems. Also, Space Marines are just drat tough and can basically ignore threats that would probably kill a guardsman or a cultist because they'll never get through the toughness and armor of the marine.

A lot of Deathwatch had to be errata'd (in this scenario, almost universal nerfs) to bring it in line with the other systems. Even still, if players want to basically re-enact any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie from the 80s then it's one of my absolute favorite systems to use.

Probably the most challenging thing is getting used to all of the little rules tweaks done over the years. DH 1.0 is slightly different from DW which is slightly different from BC which is slightly different than OW which is slightly different than DH 2.0, but what this means is that if you're familiar with running rules in DW but you're running OW, then there's enough little details that have been changed that you'll inevitably miss something.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5036

Could that ork themed dice bag maybe be a precursor to a WAAAAGH based RP set? :pray:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Speaking of WAAAAGH! I seem to recall hearing somewhere about a warhammer MMO that was going to be "Free to WAAAAGH!"? Or was that just a fever dream?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Speaking of WAAAAGH! I seem to recall hearing somewhere about a warhammer MMO that was going to be "Free to WAAAAGH!"? Or was that just a fever dream?

Look up "Eternal Crusade" and pray to the Emperor in his aspect of the Omnissiah, citizen!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
How would you even do a game that truly captured the essence of Orks? "Roll dice, if they land you hit something."

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I'm going to pray to no one and WAAAAGH all over that rotten meat's peasant army.

edit: Roll 4d10, choose any one to be the tens, any other to be the ones and the other two are bonus damage.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 9, 2014

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

VanSandman posted:

Look up "Eternal Crusade" and pray to the Emperor in his aspect of the Omnissiah, citizen!

Better do a a lot of praying because the developer's track record so far is nothing but licensed crap and WET.

From the makers of SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge comes a new epic chapter in the Warhammer 40k saga!

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
To be fair, that's about exactly as serious a developer 40k needs and deserves.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I really want that game to be good. I really do. But it won't be.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ronwayne posted:

To be fair, that's about exactly as serious a developer 40k needs and deserves.

Sure, it's also par for the course when it comes to GW's track record at doling out their IP.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, regarding Only War again: My players are buck wild with the loot. Like, they are very interested in how many thrones they can scam a civilian out of, and if the votive candlesticks they stole can be traded for something useful. This is me thinking if I understand the logistics system right! There are no prices in OW, only the requisition roll.

So, a couple of thoughts:

- How often can players make a requisition roll? With their assigned 'fixer' (a player with the commerce skill), they can often gain rather good rolls. If I feel they're getting off too easy, should I make potential penalties for bartering via commerce stricter?

- How do you handle contraband? My players are rather obsessed with looting everything they find, and with using it to requisition. Do you allow players to trade things towards their requisition rolls for bonuses, or only when using the commerce skill?

- if I understand requisitioning correct, the regular logistics rolls represent acquiring gear through "legit" channels (greasing munitorum officials, getting good gear awarded for good performance, actually requisitioning things from the Munitorum AND getting them!), and if so, does it make sense that you can get near-unique items as a Log 10 dog soldier? Something seems off to me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They requisition when you say it is appropriate. Basically whenever they have downtime and are in a location where they have access to a quartermaster's stores or other suitable group to trade with. You can use it as a way to bring in some internal IG friction if that would be good.

Depending on how loud they're being, what they're acquiring and what local conditions are like, your party might be heading towards an attitude adjustment from the Commissariat and a redistribution of kit by their superiors. Maybe a local priest has heard about their actions and lodged a formal ecclesiastical note of "possible heretical activity among IG elements in [location]", or a local noble has heard about it happening and expressed his distaste to a Colonel at a formal dinner.

Perhaps they discover that they can loot anything they like, but there's just nothing in the theatre worth trading for. Nobody thought that the fancy poo poo would be necessary, so nobody brought it with them. There just aren't any bolt/plasma/melta weapons around apart from the personal pieces carried by a few unique individuals. The only carapace armour on the planet is for the use of a stormtrooper detachment, and they have a habit of "visiting" any unit that tries to appropriate it. The armoured units are all from a slightly odd forge world and they get really unhappy if anyone touches their poo poo.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If you're playing pirates instead of armymans, consider transitioning the campaign into Rogue Trader or Only Waaaugh!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Not as such, but they are penal colony scummers with scavengers doctrine and a mind for skullduggery, so I'm trying to accommodate that while playing up the armed conflict guard life is infamous for.

Thanks, Goatface! That's how I try to do it, but the players are sticklers for rules, and would requisition when they can. Right now, I'm telling them it's GM fiat, particularly because I don't want them landing a masterwork plasma cannon just because a lucky die roll could permit it or what have you.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

One thing to keep in mind is that stuff you Requisition isn't really 'yours' - it's just on loan to you from the Department Munitorum. Basically you convinced them you totally need this sweet gear, and you check it out for use. That doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want with it - at the end of the engagement/campaign the Munitorum will expect it to be returned in the same condition, with an accounting of what happened to any expended ammunition, etc. Your requisitions can also be recalled whenever appropriate, either at the end of an engagement or if you hosed up. This is the point of your set kit - those are the things that you are basically guaranteed to have and keep.

Fluffwise, the Munitorum has the ability to inflict harsh penalties for the misuse or damage of equipment, up to and including summary execution. So if your players are really jonesing for a plasma cannon, maybe they get one, ok. But you can actually turn that into a hook. They get what they asked for, but it turns out they have been selected to bear a near-relic of a great Imperial hero, and any damage to the glorious scrollwork will come out of their hides. And Emperor help them if it is destroyed or lost. Maybe it's an actual relic, and it comes with an attendant Cleric who will ensure that the operator chants the appropriate Rite of Dedication when using it. I usually find that it works out better to work with what the players want, rather than try and keep them off it.

If your players are intent on robbing people blind, I think that needs to happen outside the Requisition system. The Munitorum doesn't want your votive candlesticks, and is probably actually going to want to know where they came from and do you have a receipt for that, bucko? But maybe the guy running the heavy lifter knows someone who would like to improve their mantle, and can help you with a trade... If you're going to do this, you could decide to either let your players have a pool of actual thrones they add and draw from on the black/grey market, or use the Rogue Trader Profit system in parallel with the formal requisition.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The depot guys are capable of using common sense. Why would they give power swords to a penal legion in the first place, especially if the mission doesn't call for it?

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
Is there anywhere that states in DH1 (or I guess 2 for that matter) that you can't have an upgrade to what is basically an upgrade?

Basically I am wondering if I can make a melee attachment for a weapon into a mono melee attachment.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ashcans posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that stuff you Requisition isn't really 'yours' - it's just on loan to you from the Department Munitorum. Basically you convinced them you totally need this sweet gear, and you check it out for use. That doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want with it - at the end of the engagement/campaign the Munitorum will expect it to be returned in the same condition, with an accounting of what happened to any expended ammunition, etc. Your requisitions can also be recalled whenever appropriate, either at the end of an engagement or if you hosed up. This is the point of your set kit - those are the things that you are basically guaranteed to have and keep.

Fluffwise, the Munitorum has the ability to inflict harsh penalties for the misuse or damage of equipment, up to and including summary execution. So if your players are really jonesing for a plasma cannon, maybe they get one, ok. But you can actually turn that into a hook. They get what they asked for, but it turns out they have been selected to bear a near-relic of a great Imperial hero, and any damage to the glorious scrollwork will come out of their hides. And Emperor help them if it is destroyed or lost. Maybe it's an actual relic, and it comes with an attendant Cleric who will ensure that the operator chants the appropriate Rite of Dedication when using it. I usually find that it works out better to work with what the players want, rather than try and keep them off it.

If your players are intent on robbing people blind, I think that needs to happen outside the Requisition system. The Munitorum doesn't want your votive candlesticks, and is probably actually going to want to know where they came from and do you have a receipt for that, bucko? But maybe the guy running the heavy lifter knows someone who would like to improve their mantle, and can help you with a trade... If you're going to do this, you could decide to either let your players have a pool of actual thrones they add and draw from on the black/grey market, or use the Rogue Trader Profit system in parallel with the formal requisition.

For added hilarity, play the Departmento Munitorium exactly like PLC in Paranoia. For the expensive stuff, play them like R&D.

To keep atmosphere, don't play them like this all the way to the hilt, but just enough for the PCs to realize they can't always get what they want and when they do, they end up getting a lot more than they asked for (in a manner of speaking).

Edit: Imagine playing the DM like Paranoia R&D when it comes to the Vortex Grenade - they expect a full field report on the device's performance while expecting the device to come back to them in one piece!

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 10, 2014

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

"And why exactly do you need a... 'pallet of plasma grenades,' for this infiltration assignment?"

edit:

Power Player posted:

Is there anywhere that states in DH1 (or I guess 2 for that matter) that you can't have an upgrade to what is basically an upgrade?

Basically I am wondering if I can make a melee attachment for a weapon into a mono melee attachment.

The melee attachment is functionally a separate and distinct melee weapon. I believe the text block says it is a spear, so any upgrade or attachment you could add to a spear you could add to the melee attachment.

I would also argue that it means you could have a 'Best Quality' melee attachment.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 10, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Investigating looters and instances of fraud, waste, and abuse sounds like a great job for junior-grade Inquisition acolytes.

Suppose one of those candlesticks had heretical symbology, which called for a closer look, and what's this? One squad has requisitioned enough gear to outfit a small cult army, and none of it can be accounted for?

This works even better if another unit in the same force actually is funneling equipment to traitors.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Ashcans posted:

I go pretty much that way with my OW game. My group is full of scammers and shucksters as well (and is definitely pushed further in this direction by their regimental rivalry*). I just settled on a quick and dirty generic "crates of contraband" system. They're not necessarily literal crates, but it keeps the bookkeeping easy on everyone. For example, after stealing some things from a docking bay at a Magos Biologos' secret space station, the doctor ended up with a "crate" of drugs and a "crate" of gene splicing equipment. They've been running around with it for a while now, but they also have a "crate" of religious paraphernalia. Basically, I use it as a generic trade unit of contraband that is worth more or less depending on who they are trading it to and under what circumstances. Since they get their hands on cash occasionally, I give it about ~1000 thrones = 1 crate, depending on the material and the buyer.

They can also use them in other ways. The medic, their scammer in chief, basically dumped a pile of goods onto the regiment as a goodwill gesture and earned Peer for his regiment as a result. More recently, he gave two crates of :catdrugs: to the decadent General Hax (2nd nephew of the Calixis Sector Governor, he'll have you know) overseeing their front in order to get the regiment's impending suicidally dangerous deployment swapped with their regimental rival's position on the reserve line. Besides that, they can usually take a few single items from it and it's still a "crate". So, the doc can pull a stim or two from the drug crate for actual use. As for using it to get legit gear, usually crates don't work towards that, although I'll occasionally make exceptions based on how they're doing it, either allowing them to get something reasonable as an outright trade or giving a bonus towards the Req roll.

*In my opinion, if you're going to do a game with ANY non-combat downtime at all (my game is probably ~70% sessions off the front lines), a regimental rivalry is the absolute most fun part of Only War.

*edit* Also, I love the Paranoia PLC angle as well. I find myself having to strongly resist taking the game too far in that direction.

MilkmanLuke fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 10, 2014

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

S.J. posted:

I really want that game to be good. I really do. But it won't be.

It looks like it's going really well. If we want it to not suck maybe we should all become founding members?

Skip to the 5:30 mark if you don't want to hear Joe's annoying introduction. Do be warned the footage is Super Alpha.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Werix posted:

It looks like it's going really well. If we want it to not suck maybe we should all become founding members?

Skip to the 5:30 mark if you don't want to hear Joe's annoying introduction. Do be warned the footage is Super Alpha.

Is their free version of the game still 'you get to play a regular ork boy who is inferior to every other character and can never catch up' like they initially announced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

S.J. posted:

Is their free version of the game still 'you get to play a regular ork boy who is inferior to every other character and can never catch up' like they initially announced?

In the video it sounds like its more going to be like planetside 2, where money is for cosmetic stuff ans side-grade weapons, but you can still be really good without dropping cash.