Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There are 15 minute YouTube videos for end user Windows 8.1 training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVEvbKg6JNI

We make our users watch that before they get a Windows 8 PC or laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Flameingblack posted:

It isnt that I have to learn it. It's that I have to teach every client we have how to use it, most of which call us when they can't change their homepage. The difference between 7 -> 8.1 is going to cause some of them to melt down.

Install ClassicShell (http://www.classicshell.net), and then in its Advanced settings, disable the hot corners and skip the start screen; now it is functionally no different from Windows 7. No user training required.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

HalloKitty posted:

I don't think so, it's Windows detecting the monitor no longer exists and shifting windows back to a visible screen.

Doesn't happen with Ye Olde DVI, which is why when I set my new monitor up, I tried DisplayPort, then immediately went back to DVI.

It's by design.

So its yet another thing being a 4k early adopter makes me endure :downsbravo:

Don't do 4k kids, not even once

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Byolante posted:

So its yet another thing being a 4k early adopter makes me endure :downsbravo:

Don't do 4k kids, not even once

The solution most people recommend with their monitors is to simply set a monitor standby timeout in Windows, and let them turn themselves off.

But of course, one your monitors is a TV, and I doubt you want to leave a TV on all the time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

stevewm posted:

Install ClassicShell (http://www.classicshell.net), and then in its Advanced settings, disable the hot corners and skip the start screen; now it is functionally no different from Windows 7. No user training required.

Yep, that's definitely something that should be done on corporate computers. I know that when I'm making images, I always disable the page file too.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yep, that's definitely something that should be done on corporate computers. I know that when I'm making images, I always disable the page file too.

What exactly is the problem with it? It just puts a start menu back.. There are ADMX templates to control its settings through GPO. And its free for commercial use.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yes these are comparable things and this post totally makes sense.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

stevewm posted:

That's what I ended up doing. Some people catch on to new technology quickly, and enjoy all the new features. Others panic and call us when they can't find an icon for their email on their desktop in all their mess. Guess which ones a lot of our clients are? This program worked pretty well, but the poor guy is still hyperventilating because things are different, I don't think that's going to be something I can fix though.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

That's what I ended up doing. Some people catch on to new technology quickly, and enjoy all the new features. Others panic and call us when they can't find an icon for their email on their desktop in all their mess. Guess which ones a lot of our clients are? This program worked pretty well, but the poor guy is still hyperventilating because things are different, I don't think that's going to be something I can fix though.

Tell him to breathe into a paper bag, or though pursed lips.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

Yes these are comparable things and this post totally makes sense.

It just seems to me that third-party shell customizations (that, let's be honest, you can never know 100% what they're doing in the background) aren't a valid replacement for user training in a corp environment when user training is all it would take. It's risky to introduce new, third-party software into your ecosystem unnecessarily.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I deal with mostly home and small business users, but the reaction to Windows 8 have been almost universally negative. We've tried offering stuff like installs with classicshell, but a) we don't really want to be troubleshooting a third-party product and b) most clients' reaction tends to be "Why can't I just get windows 7 instead of hacking this thing I don't like to make it look like windows 7?" So almost all our new builds these days are Windows 7, because that's what people want. People hate Metro enough that they don't want anything to do with Windows 8 even if you can turn Metro off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We gave it to the CEO and he loves it so much that he told us that if anyone has a problem with Windows 8, tell them to speak to him. People stopped complaining.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lately this has been happening:

So I decided I should maybe get an antivirus that isn't dogshit. In the OP it talked about AVG and Avast, are those two still pretty good?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm having problems with Office Online. I'm on a Macbook, but hey, it's MS software so I figured it was worth a shot asking in here.

I've just started to use Office Online, for two reasons: 1) I do work on my Macbook, but it's not set up for my employer's domain, so when I want to print e.g. a Word document with Office Online all I have to do is open up onedrive on a domain workstation and hit print. 2) I just like it better than Office 4 Mac (although maybe not for much longer).

The problem is that whenever I have two or more tabs open with Excel, I can't copy & paste between them. I understand that I have to use keyboard shortcuts, because the web app isn't allowed to access the clipboard directly (or something). It just doesn't work. That is, it worked once or twice, then started pasting old clipboard text, a message saying to wait or try again, or nothing. I can select stuff in the spreadsheet and hit cmd-c; it will create a marquee around my cells but that content can't be inserted into another spreadsheet tab.

Fake edit: So I decided to check the MS Community Forums before posting this here. I had been googling around but couldn't find any information before going there. Sure enough there's a thread about it

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...fc-68b599b31bf5

It's just strange to me that there are so few replies. You'd think that with the Office Online user base, there'd at least be a few more people who had experienced this problem. It's also strange (really more like lovely) that the OP of that thread is from 2011, but there's a post from 2014 at the end so this problem has been around for 3 years with no solution.

Ok, fine, whatever. So why am I sharing all this if I've found an 'answer' to my problem? Well, I just think it's extra special that when I tried to reply in that thread, I got a little message in red text saying that my submission could not be processed. Beautiful.

I'm still ready to be down with M$ again. I actually like Windows 8, and Office 13 is great, too. I'm sad that I'll have to go back to GDocs to get my basic functionality in a web-based office app.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Droid Washington posted:

So I decided I should maybe get an antivirus that isn't dogshit. In the OP it talked about AVG and Avast, are those two still pretty good?

Avast is still pretty much the best free antivirus out there. Put it in silent/gaming mode, and you won't even know it's there.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Droid Washington posted:

Just use the one built into Windows and try not to download virus.exe

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Does anyone here have experience with office space utilization software? I was thinking of building a database, but before that I decided to check if there at any commercial options. Ideally it would work like this:

- doesn't utilize external servers (information isn't held by software company)

- one time price, though a yearly license is okay.

- interacts with AutoCAD. This is optional.

Research has been difficult. Most companies don't give the details I need, and I also don't feel like making several dozen phone calls.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Does anyone know how one goes about setting up VLC to open to certain parameters from a shortcut?

Currently, I have to click the icon, enter the ip address & credentials of the network stream, open it, click 'minimal interface' and then drag the window to my second monitor and resize it. Is there anyway for VLC to remember these settings other than leaving it running 24-7?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My mother-in-law has moved from a Mac to a Windows 8.1 machine. We copied her photos from the Mac to a shared drive then to Windows. We launched the Asus iPhoto equivalent, tried to sort by date and it's not sorting by date "properly". Looking at the photos, from several different camera and phone sources, some devices have set the photos "date taken" property field and others not at all. My assumption is that the Asus app is looking at this field and falling back to file dates. Which given how we copied the photos, now have file create/modify dates from last month.

First, is there a better recommendation for a photo viewing/management software for the 8.1 modern UI?

Secondly, in regards to such photo software, am I correct in that most work based on the photo's date taken property field then fall back to the date creation/modified? It seems like the date taken field would be far more reliable than try to use the file creation/modified times. I confirmed that she can set that property for multiple selected photos but don't want to tell her to waste time if it's not the correct field that most apps would use.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Factor Mystic posted:

Just use the one built into Windows and don't install flash or Java.

Fixed for you.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
What's the best remote access software for Windows that supports Wake-On LAN? I was using VNC but it was pretty slow, and I don't like how RDP logs out of the current user.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

unpurposed posted:

What's the best remote access software for Windows that supports Wake-On LAN? I was using VNC but it was pretty slow, and I don't like how RDP logs out of the current user.

Team Viewer?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not exactly a Windows question, but not sure where this would go:

I need to create a simple callsheet for people within a fairly small community who are interested in playing tennis with other people.

My idea so far was to create a Google Spreadsheet with the following values:

Name - Experience (beginner, intermediate, advanced) - Email - Phone # - Available hours - Comments.

While this technically suits my needs, I was hoping to find a more user-friendly method that would let me lock down user input to specifically the fields they'd have to complete and would then auto-generate the list everytime.

Any free software or websites that I can use for this?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Are there any good disk clone/backup utils that can use Windows+VSS and have a bootable CD that don't cost money, or is it time to dig figure out which box I stored TrueImage in again?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Getting a bit annoyed with how slow Handbrake is.

Are there any good free video converters which make use of multiple CPU cores and/or CUDA?

Edit: I would be tempted to pay up to £40 if it's a really sweet piece of software.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Well, it's not handbrake, it's x264, which DOES use extra instructions on the CPU and as many cores as it gets its hands on.

I believe there are CUDA encoders, but I never heard good things about quality. x264 is the best quality encoder, basically, and there's no shortcut around the fact you need a boatload of CPU power to make it fast.

If you're willing to have larger or crappier encodes, there's probably some CUDA software out there, but I don't know enough about it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

WastedJoker posted:

Getting a bit annoyed with how slow Handbrake is.

Are there any good free video converters which make use of multiple CPU cores and/or CUDA?

Edit: I would be tempted to pay up to £40 if it's a really sweet piece of software.

You can try mediacoder to get quicksync/cuda access, but like the above poster said x264 is still by far the best option. you could try avisynth to x265 but it's probably a waste of time for at least another year http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=169607

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What the gently caress is it about Windows 8 (and updates) that ALWAYS loving DESTROY WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY. Every single Windows 8/8.1 laptop we have used here at work has, at some point, gotten an update that render its wireless unfuckingusable. It constantly can't get an IP. The only fix is to try to identify the update and roll it back but primarily we have to use the refresh your PC or flatten and reinstall option. It's loving ridiculous.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's pretty loving weird. We have maybe 50 Windows 8.1 laptops and we've had zero wireless issues.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

That's pretty loving weird. We have maybe 50 Windows 8.1 laptops and we've had zero wireless issues.

He's probably installing the MS provided drivers, which is usually a path to tears.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Inspector_666 posted:

He's probably installing the MS provided drivers, which is usually a path to tears.

A couple years ago, my Asus UL20A had a wifi driver pushed to it via Windows Update. Until I replaced the driver with the correct one from Ralink's site, it would BSOD within 5 seconds of connecting to an 802.11n access point. Wireless G was fine, though. Never, ever let Windows Update touch your drivers.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
That's almost certainly what it is. We forgot to limit that awhile ago and Microsoft pushed some old Synpatics touchpad driver that didn't have support for the scroll bar. I had no idea people used that on laptops until many angry users called.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah it was definitely an update, but unfortunately installing Intel's own drivers haven't fixed it yet. Blargh.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Not exactly a Windows question, but not sure where this would go:

I need to create a simple callsheet for people within a fairly small community who are interested in playing tennis with other people.

My idea so far was to create a Google Spreadsheet with the following values:

Name - Experience (beginner, intermediate, advanced) - Email - Phone # - Available hours - Comments.

While this technically suits my needs, I was hoping to find a more user-friendly method that would let me lock down user input to specifically the fields they'd have to complete and would then auto-generate the list everytime.

Any free software or websites that I can use for this?
You can use Google Docs for this, just not the way you think. And with a caveat.

Make a form. When designing the form, only include the fields you want with the correct forms. Use good labels for the questions.

Send the results to a spreadsheet. Label the spreadsheet well. The form results will use the labels from your form. Then, share the results spreadsheet as view only with your people. Anyone can submit a form at any time and the results will always show up in the results spreadsheet.

The caveat is that people can't edit their own info. You could manage that yourself though by periodically scanning the sheet for duplicate info and using the most recent one. Or something.

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 12, 2014

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

crestfallen posted:

You can use Google Docs for this, just not the way you think. And with a caveat.

Make a form. When designing the form, only include the fields you want with the correct forms. Use good labels for the questions.

Send the results to a spreadsheet. Label the spreadsheet well. The form results will use the labels from your form. Then, share the form as view only with your people. Anyone can submit a form at any time and the results will always show up in the results spreadsheet.

The caveat is that people can't edit their own info. You could manage that yourself though by periodically scanning the sheet for duplicate info and using the most recent one. Or something.

This is a great suggestion, thanks. One thing, though. Where you said "Then, share the form as view only with your people", I'm assuming you meant "Share the spreadsheet"?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
You are correct. I went back and edited my original post too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a niche software request. Tonight we're meeting remoting in with a director of a film to discuss visual f/x. We're going to go through the entire film to discuss what we need. It'd be great to be able to sync how we're watching it. Like, when we pause it, it pauses on his end and is perfectly synced up. That way we aren't having to struggle with the movie getting out of sync while watching it.

Is there a way to do this other than just essentially streaming from our PC at work and giving him the stream info? And if that's the solution what's the best way to do that? Will plain ole VLC work?

edit: Actually it turns out he has the rough cut on Vimeo. So we could use one of these services:

http://www.ldrmagazine.com/blog/2013/12/18/8-ways-watch-videos-together-synch/

Any of those better than the other?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 14, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What's a good way/program to record when the computer randomly reboots? I have a computer rebooting for seemingly no reason and was wondering how I could diagnose the gremlins.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Event viewer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

What's a good way/program to record when the computer randomly reboots? I have a computer rebooting for seemingly no reason and was wondering how I could diagnose the gremlins.

Blue Screen View can be handy for setting out blue screen details in an easy to read way:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html