Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SRM posted:

If a unit is 10 or more dudes they start infighting when they fail morale tests. Only having 10 man squads keeps them from eating themselves every time they get shot at.

Yeah, they just run away instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

It's basically a fuckload of boyz and some characters, right? I don't think it's a bad idea. Consensus in my game group is that big mobs of Orks don't really do it anymore though, and that multiple 10-man units are the way to go since they basically ignore the Mob Rule table. I've only played one game against the new dex though, and I blasted those Orks just the same.

Sorry man this is just wrong. Sub 10 man units without leaders break and run away when they fail a leadership test. Bigger mobs, with leaders, stay in the fight on a 2+ (with rerolls for bosspole) when they fail morale. The mob rule is a bonus not a penalty.

It's so much better to lose a couple of boyz from a twenty strong unit over being pinned or fleeing from combat and being run down.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Look, it's a traitor Mechanicum character not in a book yet, the Archmagos Draykavac!

but it's also a dual kit, coming with an alternate head and weapon to make a Magos Prime

Yes, it's a minibase in a diorama base like the other characters and is that a Legion Ultramarine for scale? :aaa:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That's the first Mechanicum thing I've seen in recent memory that I really don't like.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

drat it Ghost Hand, not only do you keep making me jealous regarding 40k flea markets but now I'm trying to figure out how I would do an IG themed Tau count-as contingent in the same vein as BuffaloChicken's squat army as a possible allies. :arghfist::sigh:
Flea markets are the best; most of my RT stuff came from flea markets at conventions where I got the stuff dirt cheap. My favorite find was a big box of old metal Marines for 10bux. There were at least a dozen Rogue Trader beakies, a metal land speeder, Calgar, the old Ultramarines commander, Techmarines, all kindsa good stuff. I got my start in 40k through a 3rd ed starter set I found at a flea market for about 20bux.

Cataphract posted:

Sorry man this is just wrong. Sub 10 man units without leaders break and run away when they fail a leadership test. Bigger mobs, with leaders, stay in the fight on a 2+ (with rerolls for bosspole) when they fail morale. The mob rule is a bonus not a penalty.

It's so much better to lose a couple of boyz from a twenty strong unit over being pinned or fleeing from combat and being run down.
It's just what folks in my group are doing to try and mitigate it; they're pretty desperate to figure out something that works and it's the tactic du jour there. I'm yet to play as Orks with this book and I've only played against em once. The reasoning is that instead of 20 boyz running away or being pinned it's only a couple.

E: was beaten to the punch with that archamgos, but he's peak 40k/30k.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fix posted:

That's the first Mechanicum thing I've seen in recent memory that I really don't like.

I think he's not bad with the Mechanicum head, but I don't like the platform all that much either way

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

SRM posted:

It's just what folks in my group are doing to try and mitigate it; they're pretty desperate to figure out something that works and it's the tactic du jour there. I'm yet to play as Orks with this book and I've only played against em once. The reasoning is that instead of 20 boyz running away or being pinned it's only a couple.

E: was beaten to the punch with that archamgos, but he's peak 40k/30k.

Yeah I concur with Cataphract, 10 orks without any backup is almost a joke. Kill like 3-4 of them and they'll probably run away. For an ork mob you need either a trukk if you're going small, or minimum 20 orks with a bosspole. Otherwise they're just too fragile and lack staying power in combat simply through any wounds usually resulting in a casualty unless you're very very lucky.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

Flea markets are the best; most of my RT stuff came from flea markets at conventions where I got the stuff dirt cheap. My favorite find was a big box of old metal Marines for 10bux. There were at least a dozen Rogue Trader beakies, a metal land speeder, Calgar, the old Ultramarines commander, Techmarines, all kindsa good stuff. I got my start in 40k through a 3rd ed starter set I found at a flea market for about 20bux.

Yeah I've heard they're great and amazing constantly of ICS but they just seem to be a US thing mainly because I've never heard of such a thing being organized around here. Maybe at some of the larger Swedish gaming cons but outside of those it doesn't seem to be a thing.

I know it's pretty much because Gaming Stores are a rather rare thing in Sweden outside of the major cities and even then most people tend to just organize gaming groups because you can get funds for that.

Then again I don't even play so I'm starting to wonder why I trawl ebay anyway for tanks that aren't really worth bidding on due to costs and sniping when I'm probably better off just buying the occasional kit of Element or something instead for building and painting purposes. v:shobon:v

In more relevant news, finished assembling and magnetizing my spare Demolisher turned and even gave the Plastic Soldier Company WW2 British Armour Spray on it.
Really good coverage on it even if it turned out it's a bit brighter in shade than the Castellan Green I've used for my main Demolisher hull.
Which I guess is gonna make it look slightly off on my Demolisher hull but that remains to be seen once I've finished painting it up.
But pleasantly surprised with the spray at least and it'll be a great way to quicken up any future tank projects I've got.
Now only if that Blitzkrieg Crusade could arrive in the mail so I knew how well it sized up to a Russ.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

NTRabbit posted:

I think he's not bad with the Mechanicum head, but I don't like the platform all that much either way

I feel it could be a little taller. Right now it's just kinda dragging itself along the ground; it'd be more imposing if it floated more, maybe having the model 'stand' on all those wires.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Does anyone want a new-in-blister Navigator? I got one at Gencon and I like it, but not so much that I wouldn't part with it for a reasonable profit. I see some ebay sellers overseas listing them for $30-40 plus shipping, but no one over here. PM me if you're interested in working something out (or hell, just post).

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah I've heard they're great and amazing constantly of ICS but they just seem to be a US thing mainly because I've never heard of such a thing being organized around here. Maybe at some of the larger Swedish gaming cons but outside of those it doesn't seem to be a thing.

I know it's pretty much because Gaming Stores are a rather rare thing in Sweden outside of the major cities and even then most people tend to just organize gaming groups because you can get funds for that.

The Overlords in London just did a "Bring and Buy" at their club - so this is something you could easily organize for a club to do instead of a store...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

The Overlords in London just did a "Bring and Buy" at their club - so this is something you could easily organize for a club to do instead of a store...

Oh I'm sure it's doable in some other way and it wouldn't surprise me if clubs elsewhere in bigger towns have done such things before.
Although in my case it's still kinda tricky since I live in such a small town that it feels like I pretty much know all active Warhammer players. Which is most likely hyperbole but still.
But I still, I can't help but to feel slightly jealous at principle of the whole thing.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

serious gaylord posted:

I'll be interested to see if its a re-issue with maybe new missions, or if they've re sculpted anything.

My money says same sculpts (you lucky Blood Angels players!), new missions and maybe a couple new tiles.

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh I'm sure it's doable in some other way and it wouldn't surprise me if clubs elsewhere in bigger towns have done such things before.
Although in my case it's still kinda tricky since I live in such a small town that it feels like I pretty much know all active Warhammer players. Which is most likely hyperbole but still.
But I still, I can't help but to feel slightly jealous at principle of the whole thing.

I get ya.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

I feel it could be a little taller. Right now it's just kinda dragging itself along the ground; it'd be more imposing if it floated more, maybe having the model 'stand' on all those wires.

Maybe prop the lot up on a clear flying base like it's hovering?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

I like that. Along with the weird skull face, it does a good job of saying, "this guy ain't human anymore." I really like how "alien" the FW Mechanicum stuff is.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

PeterWeller posted:

I like that. Along with the weird skull face, it does a good job of saying, "this guy ain't human anymore." I really like how "alien" the FW Mechanicum stuff is.

For me its just the techno-hair, the skull is goofy but not horrible, I plan to magnetize the heads and use the "hair" as The Relic, that I can stick whichever head im not using on like a platform.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

But twenty orks, are very unlikely to run away or be pinned. If there's a nob with a bosspole in the unit they'd need to fail their leadership test and then roll a 1 twice on the mob chart. The odds of that are 1.14%... vs the 41.67% failure rate of a standard ld7 test.

The way I've been playing orks, and it's been doing well for me so far, is to take a big foot unit of of choppa boyz with a megawarboss up front with the lukky stix and to take more big units in wagons with additional warbosses. Those units are brutal, fast, cheap and will tear through just about anything it can reach in melee.

Here's what I've been rolling at 1,500 and it's been doing really well... the only army I've had trouble with was Orks who had 3 units of 30 footslogging choppa boyz, each with a warboss.
CAD 1

HQ
Warboss Mega armour PK lukky stix
Warboss eavy armour PK finking cap bosspole

Elite
3xmeganobz+trukk
3xmeganobz+trukk

Trooops
20xChoppa boyz PK bosspole
19xShoota boyz PK bosspole

Fast
Deffkopta
Deffkopta
Deffkopta

Heavy
Lootasx8
Lootasx8
Battlewagon +ram +2 big shootas

CAD 2
HQ
Big Mek SAG, Eavy Armour 2 ammo runt Bosspole

Troops
10xboyz
10 Gretchin +runtherd

Taking it up to higher points, I'd add another warboss, wagon and boyz unit.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 8, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit, I just found out that GW doesn't make their modular hill anymore. I really wanted another set so I could make one bigass hill. :argh:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Pretty much finished up my (hopefully) last Hive Tyrant. One more Harpy and ten Gargoyles to go and I'll have a completely painted army! :toot:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

One question. Why are you bothering with the second detachment for just a SAG? I've found them to be mediocre at best and you're paying a +90 point lovely troop tax for yours.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I like the concept for the Magos models just not the way they're all toppling forward.

I'm a Tech Priest whose fallen and I can't get up!

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
With all the Ork chat I want to promote a big mob of BikerBoyz with Warboss and painboy. Very quick moving with armour, a cover save and fnp. A squad of Bikes with some Mega-Nobz in Trukks, buggies and Kannons is fun.

I have not been a fan of Boyz for a while. Challenges have consistently screwed me with Nobz, they are more a problem than a bonus. I wouldn't take boyz if they number fewer than 20. I have repeatedly tried Trukkboyz and numbers gently caress them up. I think Boyz are petty lovely though. You have to spend big on making them stick around and although they can tie down a unit they lack killing power and can be avoided all too easily.

Orks can put a lot of speedy models on the board. Speed is good for objectives.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

I don't even think it's that fun. Two weak blast markers is pretty loving boring.

Yeah, and with the thunderfire canon there is no reason to take one

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Raphus C posted:

Orks can put a lot of speedy models on the board. Speed is good for objectives.

This is my thinking as well. I hardly make a list with boyz these days. Just pay the 60 points of grots tax and be done with troops.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Hencoe posted:

For me its just the techno-hair, the skull is goofy but not horrible, I plan to magnetize the heads and use the "hair" as The Relic, that I can stick whichever head im not using on like a platform.

Ahh, I like the "hair" as well, actually. I imagine it's just the end of some umbilicals leading to something even more baroque and horrendous.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I like the concept for the Magos models just not the way they're all toppling forward.

I'm a Tech Priest whose fallen and I can't get up!

Fuse fifteen different servo arms and skulls to your spine and see how long you can keep standing. :v:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

CyberLord XP posted:

This is my thinking as well. I hardly make a list with boyz these days. Just pay the 60 points of grots tax and be done with troops.

A squad of 30 Boyz with a painboy and/or KFF is a force to be reckoned with, but I accept they need some sort of backup as on their own they're kind of meh. They received a great buff with ere we go and stikkbombs though

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
30 boyz with a pain boy and a mega armored war boss with the lucky stick is pretty amazing. If you roll the warlord trait to infiltrate then that is pretty cool too.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Is using a big mek as the warlord (so I can take a painboy and abuse FNP and the KFF) a bad idea? I was thinking of giving him a waaagh banner (just plugging some banners into his back alongside the forcefield generators, or should I give it to a different thing?).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Thunderfire cannon makes the Whirlwind absolutely obsolete.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

The Thunderfire cannon makes the Whirlwind absolutely obsolete.

*Exception: Dark Angels, Blood Angels.

Did Space Wolves get access to TFC in their new codex? I haven't read through it yet.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Android posted:

30 boyz with a pain boy and a mega armored war boss with the lucky stick is pretty amazing. If you roll the warlord trait to infiltrate then that is pretty cool too.

Relying on random Warlord traits to do anything is a bad idea. I really wish they were pick and choose but whatever (psyker powers too please). That being said yes 30 boyz can be a force to deal with but A) they're slow and B) they're only really good with one or two pumped up HQ's to lead them, and by that time you're looking at a 300+ point unit so it drat sure better be a solid unit.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

CyberLord XP posted:

One question. Why are you bothering with the second detachment for just a SAG? I've found them to be mediocre at best and you're paying a +90 point lovely troop tax for yours.

Cause I painted it up nice and it's fun to use.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Android posted:

That sounds too slow. It moves 6 inches a turn because of the mega boss and it can be flanked so that the lucky stikk and Mega-boss saves don't apply.

If you roll hammer and anvil that unit will take forever to get anywhere. I would think that is too many points for an objective denial unit.

I am prejudiced though. I mostly play Eldar and have had the pleasure of playing a hammer and anvil game against Dark Angels where my opponent set up with his tanks touching his short board edge and never moved them. It took 5 turns for a mob of Boyz to get into assault range and that was with them running.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raphus C posted:

That sounds too slow. It moves 6 inches a turn because of the mega boss and it can be flanked so that the lucky stikk and Mega-boss saves don't apply.

If you roll hammer and anvil that unit will take forever to get anywhere. I would think that is too many points for an objective denial unit.

I am prejudiced though. I mostly play Eldar and have had the pleasure of playing a hammer and anvil game against Dark Angels where my opponent set up with his tanks touching his short board edge and never moved them. It took 5 turns for a mob of Boyz to get into assault range and that was with them running.

playing hammer and anvil with your opponent touching the back edge is always going to be tough for any mid to close range army. Don't let the few situations where you're at a distinct disadvantage be the only situations you consider. That ork unit can withstand a whole guard blobs FRFSRF without taking a scratch and can be brutal in situations where your oponent isn't being a total coward.

not lame! posted:

Is using a big mek as the warlord (so I can take a painboy and abuse FNP and the KFF) a bad idea? I was thinking of giving him a waaagh banner (just plugging some banners into his back alongside the forcefield generators, or should I give it to a different thing?).

A Big Mek is Ld8, so he can only be your warlord if you don't have any warbosses or characters with LD9+

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 8, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Cataphract posted:

Okay when it comes down to it this is what really matters.

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp

CyberLord XP posted:

Relying on random Warlord traits to do anything is a bad idea. I really wish they were pick and choose but whatever (psyker powers too please). That being said yes 30 boyz can be a force to deal with but A) they're slow and B) they're only really good with one or two pumped up HQ's to lead them, and by that time you're looking at a 300+ point unit so it drat sure better be a solid unit.

Mostly just a bonus if I get that trait but I've been doing two cad for just about all my lists since I haven't been going to any tournaments that disallow it yet so I also run a war boss with the thinking cap for two rolls on the table. Also the blob unit is backed up by meganobs in battle wagons for a little more mobility. That said orks are somewhat difficult to make mobile and will certainly never reach eldar or dark eldar levels of zooming around. Trying to make the boys work since I can't just use meganobz as my troops anymore.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...

Cataphract posted:

A Big Mek is Ld8, so he can only be your warlord if you don't have any warbosses or characters with LD9+

Actually that's not true in 7th, you can nominate any character model to be your Warlord. Another important note is that if a Warboss isn't your Warlord, you cannot declare a Waaagh!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

For the record, a trukk full of hard boy sluggas is a really good troops unit. If y'all want to play fast orks, I recommend hard boyz. They recently got rid of the 0-1 restriction on them. My immediate reaction to the new codex was converting up a second squad.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Cataphract posted:

:patriot:

In other news, I finished the first of three FORGE WORLDED OUT BLACK TEMPLAR ASSAULT CANNON RAZORBACKS WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

For the record, a trukk full of hard boy sluggas is a really good troops unit. If y'all want to play fast orks, I recommend hard boyz. They recently got rid of the 0-1 restriction on them. My immediate reaction to the new codex was converting up a second squad.
My idea for a mech Ork force with the new codex was tacticool 'Ard Boyz squads in Trukks converted up to look like halftracks. I'll never do it, but it was a cool idea.

• Locked thread