Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Yeah that's what I figured happened with their AI which is dumb as hell and means one of their big features isn't even accurate. Can't believe how badly they hosed this up when they couldn't just release practically the same game like they have for the past five years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Post-release plans released: http://www.easports.com/nhl/news/20...s=1410197856829

Patch plan summary:
Sept- Playoff mode, BAP coaching while on bench, 3 stars, HUT hud changes
October- Online team play, GM drafting

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 8, 2014

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

"Control every player on the ice" 'except goalies, cause "goalies are too hard to code"' Actual words from Rammer's mouth
"heres coach feedback" 'we had this last year, but lets wait to release it hyuck hycuck'
"GM draft be on the clock!" 'With the same old league interest, green yellow red bullshit colors that mean nothing. Oh yeah we dont have CHL or AHL so the drafting does nothing.'

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Technetium posted:

Yeah that's what I figured happened with their AI which is dumb as hell and means one of their big features isn't even accurate. Can't believe how badly they hosed this up when they couldn't just release practically the same game like they have for the past five years or so.

Which was the first year that there wasn't just one generic arena with different center ice logos? There were different arena models in NHL 2K on the Dreamcast.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Ashekaban posted:

With the same old league interest, green yellow red bullshit colors that mean nothing. Oh yeah we dont have CHL or AHL so the drafting does nothing.'

I somehow missed they didn't have the CHL or AHL in. What the hell?

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

DOOMocrat posted:

I somehow missed they didn't have the CHL or AHL in. What the hell?

Its not that they dont have them (Well i dont know about the CHL stuff), but the AHL is there, in some form, if you call this a form.

-Yearly draft is fully automated by the CPU
-Cannot play the AHL games for your chosen franchise
-Players sent down to the minors do not accumulate any season stats
-No season mode (you can only play seasons in Be A GM, which is limited to NHL teams)

Im shocked they worked out how to make trades work if they struggled with people gaining points in a season mode.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

sellouts posted:

OTP with real teams

This is awesome.

Ashekaban posted:

"Control every player on the ice" 'except goalies, cause "goalies are too hard to code"' Actual words from Rammer's mouth

Wait, seriously? So you can't hold L1+Select to control the goalie? Am I gonna be able to play goalie in online team play?

It seems like they finally fixed goaltending and now I might not be able to even play goalie?!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

cname posted:

It seems like they finally fixed goaltending

Where the hell did you get that impression from

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

cname posted:

Wait, seriously? So you can't hold L1+Select to control the goalie? Am I gonna be able to play goalie in online team play?

It seems like they finally fixed goaltending and now I might not be able to even play goalie?!

"Can you elaborate on why the online team play is only 5 vs 5.

Thanks"

'Goalies add another level of complexity. We want to get OTP into your hands asap as we continue to work on fleshing out the experience.'

IE coding goalies to hard, left stick makes goalie stick left appendage to the left too hard to code. cancel goalies.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Any mention of at least patching in goaltending?

Pleads posted:

Where the hell did you get that impression from

I feel like there aren't as many bullshit EA goals in the demo. You know, where the puck hits the inner-netting of the glove and still goes in?

cname fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 8, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I wish they would loving elaborate if BAP is going to be fixed to what it was last year with the normal game time and sim to shift rather than the stupid 7 minute periods or whatever where you wait around a while.

Edit ^^^ Yeah, it seemed pretty good in that respect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHL always has glitch goals. Just because they maybe fixed an old one doesn't mean they're gone.

Wasn't there a video with the demo showing that forehand-backhand shots almost always go in?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Polygon trashing it is awesome and necessary. I hope the Next-Gen versions score a 40 on Metacritic and EA Canada is forced to make some changes.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Wasn't there a video with the demo showing that forehand-backhand shots almost always go in?

The 45 degree forehand backhand shot has worked for like three years.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

cname posted:

Any mention of at least patching in goaltending?
Not a word about it yet (he did a semi q/a where he answered mundane poo poo like the wrong sided arenas question on the ea sports nhl general discussion forum)

shortspecialbus posted:

I wish they would loving elaborate if BAP is going to be fixed to what it was last year with the normal game time and sim to shift rather than the stupid 7 minute periods or whatever where you wait around a while.

But now you get coach feedback(you gotta hit the net!) Shift simming is so not needed when AI take full 4 minute shifts like you are still playing 20 minute periods in a 7min game. The question was asked multiple times, and wasnt answered once in the QA. At this point i will be shocked if there is any patches past the planned "October" plan. I think EASHL is a wash, as is BAP being a wasteland.

DOOMocrat posted:

The 45 degree forehand backhand shot has worked for like three years.

As does the curve shot from 09 onward. Just gotta be inbetween the faceoff dots like last year/Nhl 13. At this point id rather of seen curveshots then left right goal still be a thing. But goalies are hard to code remember.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Ashekaban posted:

he did a semi q/a where he answered mundane poo poo like the wrong sided arenas question on the ea sports nhl general discussion forum

Fan-loving-tastic. Ok, gently caress it, I'm waiting till I can find this game on Craigslist for $20. There is absolutely no way I'm buying this pile of poo poo tomorrow.

It's a goddamn travesty people even had the audacity to post about wrong sided arenas, instead of simply empty quoting "lack of feature" questions until he abandoned the thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just make the puck super huge, worked great for NES Ice Hockey.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

cname posted:

Fan-loving-tastic. Ok, gently caress it, I'm waiting till I can find this game on Craigslist for $20. There is absolutely no way I'm buying this pile of poo poo tomorrow.

It's a goddamn travesty people even had the audacity to post about wrong sided arenas, instead of simply empty quoting "lack of feature" questions until he abandoned the thread.

I think he answered like 8 total questions with the general answer being "I know its important but we didnt have time! or It's too hard to code!" Which means they spent the year off they took on next gen, taking pictures of arena's for that full 12 months, and spent the other 10 making this pile of poo poo, and it turned out harder then they expected to code into the next gen.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
One of the mods on the EA boards alluded to the fact that the NHL devs were pulled off the game to finish a different game that was behind schedule.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

sba posted:

One of the mods on the EA boards alluded to the fact that the NHL devs were pulled off the game to finish a different game that was behind schedule.

Stop trying to loving make a basketball game, EA. Unless it's another NBA Street. Screencap?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Behind in schedule?! Are you making GBS threads me?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Patch plan summary:
September- Playoff mode, BAP coaching while on bench, 3 stars, HUT hud changes
November- Ability to Skate backwards patched in
December- Add in Southern Hockey Teams
January- Take a bit of a rest, coding is hard
late 2015- wonderllama buys game at discount bin

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Wonderllama posted:

Patch plan summary:
September- Playoff mode, BAP coaching while on bench, 3 stars, HUT hud changes
November- Ability to Skate backwards patched in
December- Add in Southern Hockey Teams
January- Take a bit of a rest, coding is hard
late 2015- wonderllama buys game at discount bin

But you won't have the ability to edit players so any time you face the Maple Leafs Bozak will be an 87 elite level center (just like real life)

Also Drouin will probably be 70

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I'm confused by what they mean by goalies not being playable. I tried locking my position to the goalie in the demo and it worked fine and controlled the way it always has. How would those controls not work with an online mode?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

barren_sky posted:

I'm confused by what they mean by goalies not being playable. I tried locking my position to the goalie in the demo and it worked fine and controlled the way it always has. How would those controls not work with an online mode?

I guess they mean being able to switch to goalie on the fly during a regular game? I don't really know. :shrug:

Also I assume they mean the next-gen version.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
They probably didn't know how to program playable goalies accounting for the non-sphere puck or something dumb.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

barren_sky posted:

Are you on PS4/Xbone?

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

cname posted:

Are you on PS4/Xbone?

Yeah, on PS4. I just played the demo exhibition and switched to player-lock mid-game.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

barren_sky posted:

Yeah, on PS4. I just played the demo exhibition and switched to player-lock mid-game.

Its for online games on next gen the ability to not control the goalie.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Ashekaban posted:

Its for online games on next gen the ability to not control the goalie.

Yeah, it's just weird that they would be controllable against the AI, but not online. Maybe to do with latency or something?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

barren_sky posted:

Yeah, it's just weird that they would be controllable against the AI, but not online. Maybe to do with latency or something?

Considering that every online version before it on "inferior consoles" had goalie controls I'm going to go with NOPE just EA being lazy/penny pinching/releasing broken products to get that sweet yearly $60+tax :homebrew:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

sba posted:

In a weird way this makes sense and is almost reassuring. One of the biggest developers in the world is incompetent to a degree that they cannot keep sports games on schedule.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

soggybagel posted:

In a weird way this makes sense and is almost reassuring. One of the biggest developers in the world is incompetent to a degree that they cannot keep sports games on schedule.

Well, that game they were pulled onto (NBA Live) is still gonna be delayed by 3 weeks, so yeah, doesn't look like it helped enough

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I more or less bought an Xbox 360 back when for the NHL series, and personally I am glad EA is helping me by not offering the same temptation this year.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I more or less bought an Xbox 360 back when for the NHL series, and personally I am glad EA is helping me by not offering the same temptation this year.

I'm really hoping that they turn this into an acceptable game in a couple months.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm really hoping that they turn this into an acceptable game in a couple months.

Based on what they said they're patching in over the next two months and what they wouldn't commit to even being in this version I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. Unless you get it at a bargain basement price all signs point to "wait for NHL 16 and/or a new dev team."

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Technetium posted:

Based on what they said they're patching in over the next two months and what they wouldn't commit to even being in this version I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. Unless you get it at a bargain basement price all signs point to "wait for NHL 16 and/or a new dev team."

It won't stop me from hoping :smith:

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Ashekaban posted:

Its not that they dont have them (Well i dont know about the CHL stuff), but the AHL is there, in some form, if you call this a form.

-Yearly draft is fully automated by the CPU
-Cannot play the AHL games for your chosen franchise
-Players sent down to the minors do not accumulate any season stats
-No season mode (you can only play seasons in Be A GM, which is limited to NHL teams)

Im shocked they worked out how to make trades work if they struggled with people gaining points in a season mode.

The draft is supposed to be patched in around October according to the forums, and I'd expect the AHL stuff to be there around the end of the year if it ever makes it at all.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Technetium posted:

I am getting it for $20 off so I think I might as well keep my pre-order. It's the only game my wife will play too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Reported for spousal abuse.

• Locked thread