Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

RVProfootballer posted:

High resolution, greater than 1920x1080. The iPad's aspect ratio is nicer than most Android tablets for reading.

How bad does the Kindle HDX lock things down? I think I could be fine with 9 inch screen and the resolution is higher than the iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Apocadall posted:

How bad does the Kindle HDX lock things down? I think I could be fine with 9 inch screen and the resolution is higher than the iPad.

The Amazon app store is pretty bad compared to Google Play store. You can sideload stuff, including Google apps, but about the only reason to worry about malware on Android is if you're doing something like Googling apks... which you'd be doing to sideload stuff. The software on the Kindle Fires is also pretty bad. There're rumors of a 9" Nexus tablet from HTC coming out eventually, but who knows if that will really happen or what the price will be.

I'd second Duckman2008's advice to XenJ for you: an iPad Air on sale now or once the new one is released, for ~$300-350, would be a good bet. Some of Samsung's recent tablets might also be ok, just be careful to buy one of the higher end lines, not something like the Tab 4. You probably won't save much if any compared to an iPad, though.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
first I want to say thx for your suggestions :)

The nexus 7 LTE version cost for me in europe :nsacloud: (yeaj, I have to outing me, I'm from europe) 283 Euro and a nvidia shield tablet with LTE 380 Euros. Ipad air LTE around 427 Euros. Thats the price range.

RVProfootballer posted:

I'd second Duckman2008's advice to XenJ for you: an iPad Air on sale now or once the new one is released, for ~$300-350, would be a good bet. Some of Samsung's recent tablets might also be ok, just be careful to buy one of the higher end lines, not something like the Tab 4. You probably won't save much if any compared to an iPad, though.

A plus would I give the nvidia shield for the sd card slot (love this to have for much mp3/speech books and other crap), the nexus 7 and Ipads miss that.
Samsung is a no go company for me since they nerves handy users with their simlock implementation...(yepp I know it's only important if you want use a cheap sim card from the land you visite, but it's a fundamental thing for me, that when i buy a phone drat I want make the decision what a fracking phonecard I want to use...).
Than I was reading that the shield tablet has a very good akku inside and can deal with more as 5,5 hours gaming/watching movies... sound good too right?

On the other hand you're right next round of tablets and phones are in the box waiting for launch... old stuff goes cheaper - new stuff has things I absolutely need :p:

Duckman2008 posted:

I would avoid it. I can't see its software or hardware being better than the Nexus 7, especially with price factored in, and a 8" screen isn't even that much bigger.

If you want games, that is one category the iPad still kills any Android tablet in. Instead of $300 there, look for an iPad Air on some kind of good sale (or if you want to invest more, wait for the new one to launch and get that).

I think (hihi saturday night paln :smuggo: ) I buy a nexus 7 for my mom first. She only need it to check mails and look a bit around in the i-net and I can send new aps they need over their google account... (I read a lot good things here in the thread about nexus 7) so I can take a look if it is useful to me too and make my mom happy.

But is anyone out there and have the nvidia shield tablet in use, please share informations here, if you like it or wish you had bought some other tablet.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I was at a Verizon store the other day and the lady mentioned that I might be eligible for a free tablet. It sounded cool but I left before she could check on it. I just looked for the deal online and it looks like they're just give away a cheap 7" tablet to get people signed up for 2 year tablet service contract that's a minimum of $30/month.

How do most of you connect to the net on your tablet? Through a wireless service or your home/public network?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think I've ever actually used the wireless capabilities on my iPad. Next one will be wifi-only.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm not looking for a tablet in specific, but I am looking for an Android device that's not necessarily a phone.

Basically, I want something I can play stuff like the Final Fantasy games on. So something with a D-pad and hardware buttons.

I've found this, which looks all right, but I don't know what the other current Android offerings are like.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

How do most of you connect to the net on your tablet? Through a wireless service or your home/public network?
It's really about whether you use your tablet exclusively at home or if you would travel with it a lot. If you'd only use it at home, then WiFi is just fine.

When traveling though, it's pretty convenient to be able to use a tablet on cellular. Coffee-shop and hotel WiFi can be hit or miss, sometimes cost extra, have agreement pages and other inconveniences. It's nice to have a tablet that just works wherever you go.

But the way most people do cellular tablets is the opposite. They buy a tablet first, and then add it to their existing shared data plan for $10/mo, or do the $20/mo prepaid thing (Verizon on iPads for example). The other benefit of doing prepaid data is that you're not bound by a two year agreement, so you can turn it on for a month you might travel on vacation and leave it off the rest of the time if you're particularly cost conscious.

Don't cheap out though. Go for an iPad or 2013 N7, and decide whether spending an extra $150 on the cellular-capable hardware is worth it to you. Paying $30/mo for a cheap tablet over two years is a waste of money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Djeser posted:

I'm not looking for a tablet in specific, but I am looking for an Android device that's not necessarily a phone.

Basically, I want something I can play stuff like the Final Fantasy games on. So something with a D-pad and hardware buttons.

I've found this, which looks all right, but I don't know what the other current Android offerings are like.
This is likely a hacked together piece of garbage that will never see any sort of support or updates. For not a whole lot more you can get a refurbished Nexus 7 and a PS3 controller.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

True, but then I'd have to deal with pairing and charging both of them and a big seven-inch screen that I'd be using to play SNES-era games. I'd just prefer to have one small Android device to play games on.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 24, 2014

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Djeser posted:

True, but then I'd have to deal with pairing and charging both of them and a big seven-inch screen that I'd be using to play SNES-era games. I'd just prefer to have one small Android device to play games on.

Nobody makes what you want. Sorry.

Here are your options for an Android emulation machine:
  • Hacked together no-name phones-with-controller-buttons that will never see any warranty support, bug fixes, or updates
  • The Nvidia Shield, which is a good piece of hardware but nowhere near small or pocketable (the form factor is "OG Xbox controller plus a display")
  • Cheap tablet or SIMless low-end phone plus bluetooth controller
  • Cheap tablet or SIMless low-end phone with on-screen controls
That's pretty much it. If you're willing to drop Android, I think Sony also still sells PSPs that can be hacked to run emulators.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Well, I've got a phone, and I've tried both bluetooth controllers and on-screen controls, but neither really fit the bill. The former makes it too non-portable and the latter is uncomfortable and imprecise for anything that isn't a turn-based RPG. The PSP emulation options are all right, but I was really hoping for something more versatile.

Guess it's going to be a hacked-together no-name phone-with-controller-buttons for me.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Djeser posted:

What about this -
http://www.funstock.co.uk/dingoo-a330

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

^ Crap specs

I don't quite understand what you want, and I'm not sure you do either. Shield is as good as it gets unless you want a Tablet + Controller. But you can't get a no-name POS and expect good emulation performance, so that narrows it down to Nexus 7 + controller.

e: you want a shield because you don't care if it's not a tablet.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 25, 2014

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

All I really want is a single device, portable enough to stick in the pocket of my bag, that has Android and physical buttons. Is Shield really the only choice? I mean, I know there's this too, which has Tegra at least, but it's both bigger than I'd prefer and it looks pretty drat bulky from the screenshots.

Basically, a PSP that runs Android would be my dream machine, which is why I liked the JXD device I linked before.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Djeser posted:

All I really want is a single device, portable enough to stick in the pocket of my bag, that has Android and physical buttons. Is Shield really the only choice? I mean, I know there's this too, which has Tegra at least, but it's both bigger than I'd prefer and it looks pretty drat bulky from the screenshots.

Basically, a PSP that runs Android would be my dream machine, which is why I liked the JXD device I linked before.

Skip android devices and get one of those portable emulators.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was looking at a relatively low priced tablet for my fiancee's birthday in a few weeks. We've talked about getting some really nice ones, but those wouldn't be for another year or so when we can put money aside for them. In the meantime, I thought I'd get her something a bit more affordable. Mostly for netflix and general apps, but I'm also wondering if you can use tablets like nexus or kindle fire to watch video files from like a flash drive or something? Can you put programs like VLC or anything like that on these things?

Anyway, I was initially looking at the Kindle Fire HD but after reading the OP it sounds like I might be better off going with the Nexus 7?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm looking to buy a tablet to use primarily for drawing and digital painting. My first instinct is to go for a Galaxy Tab wi-fi, as I'm quite fond of my Galaxy s5, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I kind of feel like a Surface Pro would be a better option, really, though if tablet apps are good enough, then a Galaxy Note is pretty much your only option for that.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Endless Mike posted:

I kind of feel like a Surface Pro would be a better option, really, though if tablet apps are good enough, then a Galaxy Note is pretty much your only option for that.

Surface Pro is kinda out of my budget, unfortunately. I'm looking to spend like $300, so it's either an android device of some kind or like a refurbished old-model Surface, from what I see on Amazon.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Are you doing serious art? If so, I'd pick up a wacom tablet to use with a laptop/desktop until you can afford an SP.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Nah, not super serious. I'm trying to start drawing on a regular basis again, and I'm just trying to skip past the whole paper and scanner step between my brain and my hard drive. The extra hassle of trying to do all my coloring and inking with a mouse isn't as worth it to me now as it was in high school.

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery

Guancho fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 26, 2014

Colgrim
Jul 23, 2009
Hello. I am looking for a basic tablet that can run the Kindle and Nook apps plus whatever hosed up thing GW uses. I have about 150-175 to spend. I am not looking for anything super fancy. I am going to primarily use this for reading on the bus ride to and from work. Thank you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Colgrim posted:

Hello. I am looking for a basic tablet that can run the Kindle and Nook apps plus whatever hosed up thing GW uses. I have about 150-175 to spend. I am not looking for anything super fancy. I am going to primarily use this for reading on the bus ride to and from work. Thank you.

Search for a Nexus 2013 edition (latest one), you could find a refurbished one for that price.

Colgrim
Jul 23, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Search for a Nexus 2013 edition (latest one), you could find a refurbished one for that price.

Thank you!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Any opinions about the Asus VivoTab Note 8? It's in my price range, and it has Wacom tech. It looks like babby's first Surface Pro, which is pretty much what I'm looking for.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

Any opinions about the Asus VivoTab Note 8? It's in my price range, and it has Wacom tech. It looks like babby's first Surface Pro, which is pretty much what I'm looking for.

found only this site with "customer" opinions abaout the Asus VivoTab Note 8.. hope that helps a bit...

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

On the kindle fire 1st gen, is there a way to see a PDF's table of contents when viewing PDFs? If not, is there a <$80 (used or new) device that I could use to read PDFs and skip to sections within PDFs using the files' built in table of contents?

Edit: Ended up getting the Acer Iconia B1-710

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 5, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Is nexus 7 the latest from Google? I'm looking for something in that price range and just want to make sure I'm getting the latest thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Is nexus 7 the latest from Google? I'm looking for something in that price range and just want to make sure I'm getting the latest thing.

Yes. There may be an update in November, if that matters.

CityTransit
Jan 25, 2010
Can anyone recommend me a tablet at a reasonable price that will run Microsoft Office and has a screen >= 10 inches? Also; are people out there using bluetooth keyboards and the like to write documents or is this kind of thing reserved for laptops and/or the surface? How difficult would it be to find one that could output to HDMI, displayPort or DVI? There are way too many products out there! :confused:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CityTransit posted:

Can anyone recommend me a tablet at a reasonable price that will run Microsoft Office and has a screen >= 10 inches? Also; are people out there using bluetooth keyboards and the like to write documents or is this kind of thing reserved for laptops and/or the surface? How difficult would it be to find one that could output to HDMI, displayPort or DVI? There are way too many products out there! :confused:
What's a reasonable price? iPad does everything you want, but some other tablets might also do some or all of that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CityTransit posted:

There's multiple Windows 8 tablets out there that can do that. ASUS T100 and Acer Switch 10 (a 11 inch model is on the way) can be found for under $400 and they come with Office/detachable keyboard/microHDMI.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
(Wrong thread, never mind)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 10, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Is there a recommended screen protector for the nexus 7? Or just whatever the highest rated thing on amazon is?

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
I'm looking for a large tablet to do drawing on. My N7 is good, but the screen is just physically too small. So I don't need mobile data, just wifi and a good screen. I would prefer an N10 for the quick updates, but I guess that's not getting an updated version.

There's a second hand shop near me selling a Sony experia Z (not Z2) wifi for ~300 bucks. Assuming it is in good condition, is it a good deal?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Computers.woot.com has this guy on sale.

http://computers.woot.com/?ref=gh_cp_3

I can't speak for the quality, but I can say I expect mine to arrive in 3-4 business days.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm on a budget and I was looking for a tablet that I could play stupid android games on. There are a handful of games I'd like to play but I don't want to get a smart phone with the associated data plan. What would be a good tablet to get? Are the low end cheap-o tablets perfectly fine if all I want to do is play puzzles and dragons or what have you?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Agent355 posted:

I'm on a budget and I was looking for a tablet that I could play stupid android games on. There are a handful of games I'd like to play but I don't want to get a smart phone with the associated data plan. What would be a good tablet to get? Are the low end cheap-o tablets perfectly fine if all I want to do is play puzzles and dragons or what have you?

Check out Groupon. I would bet that older model known brands and refurbs would be better than low end cheap crap.

If really all you want to do is play phone games on wi-fi, see if someone you know has an old smartphone they don't want. Futzing around with custom firmware on an old phone might be worth it if the price is basically nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agent355 posted:

Low end garbage would *probably* be okay for that, but considering you can get a refurbished 2013 Nexus 7 for like $130 all day there's no real good reason to do that.