Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Serperoth posted:

This reminds me of the following play from a PTQ I was helping out with on Saturday.

UW Control vs Red Burn (or Rabble Red? Some Burn-y red deck)

UW is at 2 life, has some stuff down, including at least one Elspeth token.
Red casts Searing Blood, targeting a token. UW casts Last Breath, on the same token.
Red casts Shock.
Targeting the token.

How much mana did the control player have up? A revelation even for 1 would have screwed the shock to the face plan bretty badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

It's an easy mistake to make when you get caught up in the heat of a counter war, though. One of the things I had to train myself on when running Boros Humans during INN/RTR standard (shortly after I started playing the game after a 5 year break) was to avoid focusing on my opponent's creatures too hard and keep their life total in mind. I lost quite a few practice games to creature-tunnel-vision.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

How much mana did the control player have up? A revelation even for 1 would have screwed the shock to the face plan pretty badly.

A revelation next turn for (more than 1) also would have shut the game out. Play to win, don't play to not lose.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Looks like Sylvan Carytid and Goblin Rabblemaster are up around $9 today. I also see that basically only 1 rare from each Theros block set is above $10 at this point: Thoughtseize, Courser of Kruphix, and Mana Confluence. So if you can hold out on buying fetches immediately, it seems fairly certain they'll dip below $10 at some point.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Boco_T posted:

Looks like Sylvan Carytid and Goblin Rabblemaster are up around $9 today. I also see that basically only 1 rare from each Theros block set is above $10 at this point: Thoughtseize, Courser of Kruphix, and Mana Confluence. So if you can hold out on buying fetches immediately, it seems fairly certain they'll dip below $10 at some point.

Glad I got my rabbles at 5.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm really glad I picked up a playset of Coursers at $6, I knew I should have bought more.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Ramos posted:

1. You burn the other person faster than they can do that stuff. The problem with this might be lifegain, in which case, yeah, burn doesn't win against lifegain, but that's the one match up you just really will have endless trouble with.

2. Hit the creature with a kill spell as the aura is being cast. That way it dies and the aura goes to the graveyard since it can't attach to its target.

Wait so if my opponent casts Spectra Ward I can cast lightning strike on the creature and it will die before it goes into affect?

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

Glad I got my rabbles at 5.

No lie I planned to get some eventually, not so sure anymore :V.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Xeom posted:

Wait so if my opponent casts Spectra Ward I can cast lightning strike on the creature and it will die before it goes into affect?

When your opponent casts the spell, you have a chance to respond. The creature doesn't gain protection until the spell resolves, so you can play a removal spell and kill it first.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Boco_T posted:

I'm surprised Temple of Malady is lower than 10 and don't expect it to last there for long. Others maybe, maybe not-- I can see Mystery going up high, but it's from Theros and was opened a ton. Epiphany is likewise probably going to go up. Plenty, Malice and Enlightenment I'm not sure about, because while BNG wasn't opened for poo poo, it does seem like those color combos (surprisingly) aren't going to want mana that slow.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xeom posted:

Yes.

When your opponent plays a spell (or activates an ability), it doesn't take effect immediately - it first goes on the stack, and then both players get the chance to play Instants and activate abilities before it actually resolves.

If a targeted spell or ability (including Auras, which target the thing they are trying to enchant) has no legal targets when it would resolve, instead it gets countered and none of its effects happen. (There are a few exceptions, but they're mostly called out explicitly. The Bestow mechanic from Theros is another exception.)

What this means is that if your opponent tries to enchant one of their creatures, and you kill the creature before the enchantment resolves, the enchantment just goes straight to the graveyard with no effect.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jabor posted:

What this means is that if your opponent tries to enchant one of their creatures, and you kill the creature before the enchantment resolves, the enchantment just goes straight to the graveyard with no effect.

And this explains why auras aren't played :eng101:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Abzan Battle Priest 3W
Creature - Human Cleric
Outlast - W
Each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it gains Lifelink.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Outlast is kinda looking like slivers. The thing is, I can almost see that deck working in a casual/kitchen table way, but you know what's way better than Outlast AND on-color for Abzan? Nature's Panoply. It's instant speed, hits tons of creatures at once, and is a sweet combat trick since it not only pumps them but can also turn on first strike from Ainok Bond-Kin and I'm sure other abilities elsewhere.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Zorak posted:

Abzan Battle Priest 3W
Creature - Human Cleric
Outlast - W

Jesus gently caress, Outlast is going to be a house in Limited with all these rider effects. First strike, token generation, lifelink...

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm starting to like Outlast a lot. Originally I was disappointed because I heard that Abzan was controlling and didn't like that its mechanic made me tap out and tap my blockers. Their cards seem super durdly. Then I realized that durdling around to make huge buffed-up armies is awesome.

Actually, for a set themed around warlords and armies, Outlast seems like a very appropriate mechanic for it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak posted:

Abzan Battle Priest 3W
Creature - Human Cleric
Outlast - W

Christ, that's an uncommon? It looks right in line with all the cool-limited-bomb-but-unexciting-for-constructed rares we've been seeing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Reminds me of that mardu shock uncommon. Quite the draft buildaround. I was hoping we'd see a killer outlast cost soon too. Solid. Thick. Tight.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I love that the Mythic Rare leviathan knows Kung Fu, that rules.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak posted:

I love that the Mythic Rare leviathan knows Kung Fu, that rules.

I just love that the playtest name for Prowess was literally "Kung Fu" and they still give a big fuckoff whale-monster Kung Fu because why not.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Entropic posted:

I just love that the playtest name for Prowess was literally "Kung Fu" and they still give a big fuckoff whale-monster Kung Fu because why not.

All sentient beings are capable of pursuing enlightenment. And cool loving martial arts.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I really don't like Outlast sorry guys :(. Activating only as a sorcery kills it for me. I'd love to be wrong. I don't mind the Herald so much since it generates a blocker to replace itself when it outlasts. If there was a "When you activate this outlast ability, target creature can't attack next turn" I'd love it a lot more. That might be too good though. Maybe a lifegain trigger to mitigate losing a blocker.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Wheres the Kung-Fu Octopus with 4 Prowess Triggers?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

These are all really pretty. I love the icy island.

OneDeadman posted:

Wheres the Kung-Fu Octopus with 4 Prowess Triggers?
As cool as that would be, even an 0/1 would probably be overpowered.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

Gathering magic preview

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I really don't like Outlast sorry guys :(. Activating only as a sorcery kills it for me. I'd love to be wrong. I don't mind the Herald so much since it generates a blocker to replace itself when it outlasts. If there was a "When you activate this outlast ability, target creature can't attack next turn" I'd love it a lot more. That might be too good though. Maybe a lifegain trigger to mitigate losing a blocker.

What you really want is a Masako the Humorless variant, I think.

Speaking of which, EDH price speculation target?

TicalStal posted:

Gathering magic preview

This card is also sweet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TicalStal posted:

Gathering magic preview

It's like Thelonite Hermit, but a little different. Very very cool.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TicalStal posted:

Gathering magic preview

Is this the first non-Outlast (or at least non-Abzan) source of +1/+1 counters we've seen in KTK?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

That's a really good hydra, god drat. Green can generate absolute assloads of mana. Morph creatures seem to have anti-synergy in a devotion deck, but you don't need that much devotion to flip this guy, and the upside to doing so is pretty high. He dodges remove like nobody's business-- flipping him puts him out of range of Mardu Charm, Stoke, Lightning Strike etc.

It seems that with Wingmate Roc, this guy, Knuckleblade, Pearl Lake Ancient, Ashcloud Phoenix, even that regenerating 2/2 they are making it really hard to get solid value out of removal. Utter End is also a lot better against many of those. One way to incentivize playing 4+ CMC dudes is by avoiding the Doom Blade Problem and they seem to be focusing on that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is this the first non-Outlast (or at least non-Abzan) source of +1/+1 counters we've seen in KTK?

TicalStal posted:

Gathering magic preview

As someone who likes Snakes, Hydras, and Doubling Season: yes

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 9, 2014

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Zorak posted:

As someone who likes Snakes, Hydras, and Doubling Season: yes

Oh god, I just realized that the morph version of this guy makes 20 snakes with doubling season in play. A 10/10 that makes 20 snakes when it dies sounds pretty fun.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The Abzan cards and the new duals that gain life make me say: let's go Ajani Pridemates

Brood
May 27, 2007
Pip Pip, Wot Wot

TicalStal posted:

Gathering magic preview

As someone who wants to play Hardened Scales in standard, this is what I like to see.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Obscil posted:

Oh god, I just realized that the morph version of this guy makes 20 snakes with doubling season in play. A 10/10 that makes 20 snakes when it dies sounds pretty fun.

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
What I really want is the Snake damage mechanic from Kamigawa to come back, you know, how if they dealt combat damage the creature doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

And here I thought Hornet Queen was going to be the best addition I'd make to my Prossh deck this standard season. :fap:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

One of the modes of Abzan Charm had better be "put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control."

Also I believe that is the last Mythic in the set except for the Temur khan. they are:

-5 Khans
-Sarkhan + Sorin
-Ugin's Nexus
-some Phoenix
-a bad Summoning Trap
-a cool Hydra
-Zombie token maker
-super Clone
-Kung fu Leviathan
-Broodmate Roc

So I guess the money mythics will probably be Sarkhan, maybe Sorin if he turns out to be good, and that bird. Also maybe the Clone, that seems to have a lot of potential. The Abzan and Sultai khans might be good enough for Standard as well. Hell, maybe even Zurgo. 7 power of haste for 5 is not bad.

The money rares will obviously be fetchlands, and possibly:
Utter End
Necropolis Fiend (it's basically Tombstalker, a 4/5 flyer for BB)
Rattleclaw Mystic

I just don't see any three color rares being worth a ton of money, even though some Ascendancies and Mantis Rider, Siege Rhino, and Savage Knuckleblade all seem good enough for standard.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 9, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lets Pickle posted:

One of the modes of Abzan Charm had better be "put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control."
That would be a little weird, given there is already a spell at the exact mana cost that does that in Abzan?

I personally can't figure out what will be on Abzan Charm at all.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I like that they changed it up a little between the casting and morph cost--X casting cost, flat morph cost (and flat amount of counters)--rather than just taking the lazy way out and putting X in both. It's a tiny thing but it really does add some interest to the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

Abzan Ascendancy does that already. Instant speed does make it better, but... maybe. I'd rather see "Untap each creature you control. Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you untap this way." I think that's fair at that CMC, since for 2WW white already gets "Untap each creature you control. Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn."

• Locked thread