Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

If she is drawing from the national weather service for alerts, then this is normal. I don't live that close to large bodies of water, but my accuweather app constantly gives me weather alerts based on marine warnings.

Does it not alert you of the corresponding land part of the storm, like severe thunderstorm warnings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Is it possible you have it set to upload in best quality? That would force it to wait till you were on WiFi.

Afraid not- also I returned from my trip a week ago and have been on wi-fi pretty much ever since. I may have to manually copy them off the phone and paste them into my OneDrive camera roll folder.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Partycat posted:

Does it not alert you of the corresponding land part of the storm, like severe thunderstorm warnings?

It gives me both.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Guillermus posted:

Is there any kind of clock widget/tile I can install so i have a big one that displays the time and if i push it it sends me to alarms.

You'll have to live with them being separate apps. Use a live tile for Alarms and Glance for a big clock.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Some other good clock live tile apps (because I'm an expert on those apparently :negative:) are Analog Clock Tile or Start Screen Clock. Although, I think 627.AM might do what you want; it displays the weather for sure. no it doesn't, good at alarms though :shobon:

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 7, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions, Start Screen Clock is nice. I'm adapting myself very well to WP, I went to my dad's for dinner yesterday and he liked the UI so he asked me to install the WP8 launcher for his android phone. I have to admit, as android fan, that is miles easier to use for a starter than android due to the tile setting.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LentThem posted:

If your phone ends up coming with the Cyan + 8.1 update I'd be really curious to hear about the battery life.

Quoting you again since I had a few days to try out the phone both on working and non-working days. After messing with my 925 with Cyan 8.1 (still don't have cortana in my region :spain:) I have to compare battery life to my main phone, a Galaxy S4 (i9505) with stock android (less battery demanding than Samsung's touchwiz). After 17 hours since last charge, is on 64% and I've been using it like my S4 wich is mainly whatsapp messaging, some browsing and at 40-50mins of music playing while I run. Seems to be on par with my S4 despite this one having a 2600mAh battery (vs 2000mAh on the 925) same screen family (Super AMOLED vs Amoled on Nokia) and a slightly smaller screen on my 925 (4.5" vs 5"). To my eyes and considering that I honestly used my phone a bit more than usual seems fantastic so far for me.

Take in mind that I'm not a heavy user during work days and I can stretch my S4's battery for 35-40h without charging it and still have about 30% remaining so the 925 has good battery life for my day to day use considering its smaller battery wich makes me think two things, that WP 8.1 is really nice and that even my stock Android 4.4.4 with all sorts of stuff to keep power usage lower (rooted, using an app to hibernate power hungry stuff etc) still shows that Android L can't come soon enough to really make a difference when it comes to battery life.

After the newbie review, I have a deal breaking issue with Windows Phone 8.1. Is there any goddamn app, free or paid I don't care, that can play my music using folders and NOT playlists? It was one of the reasons I hated iPods a decade ago and made me just ignore completely iPhones. I'm a huge fan of folders and there are like 50 or more decent apps on android that can do that.

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'

Guillermus posted:

After the newbie review, I have a deal breaking issue with Windows Phone 8.1. Is there any goddamn app, free or paid I don't care, that can play my music using folders and NOT playlists? It was one of the reasons I hated iPods a decade ago and made me just ignore completely iPhones. I'm a huge fan of folders and there are like 50 or more decent apps on android that can do that.

Can you clarify your issue? If your metadata is correct, this shouldn't be an issue. You can use Xbox Music to sync your music to your phone correctly, regardless of folder structure or playlists as long as your metadata is good.

Also,

Folder Play or Folder Audio Player? They're pretty barebones for music players.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bjobjoli posted:

Can you clarify your issue? If your metadata is correct, this shouldn't be an issue. You can use Xbox Music to sync your music to your phone correctly, regardless of folder structure or playlists as long as your metadata is good.

Also,

Folder Play or Folder Audio Player? They're pretty barebones for music players.

Sorry if I explained myself wrong. What I've been doing with all my mp3 players and phones is just copy-pasting folders into the internal (or SD) memory and just open the app and browse folders.

And yes! Folder play is just what I was looking for, really barebones and not close to winamp or power amp but is perfect. Thank you! :peanut:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 8, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Is there a good reason to use the Nokia camera app over the WP8.1 app on a 1520 if all you use it for is point-and-shoot? The Nokia one seems more awkward to use and I can't tell if it's taking better pictures or anything. I don't see myself using the animated "live photos" or whatever either.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I haven't seen anyone mention this in this thread yet, but apparently Blu is releasing two windows phones. Both devices are dual-sim and unlocked.
The first is $89 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/BLU-4-Inch-Windows-Unlocked-Phones-White/dp/B00M9KSSUI/) and comes with 4GB storage and 512 MB RAM.

The second isn't available yet but is a 5 inch device for which the specs aren't out yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAXzuKFazA

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Guillermus posted:

Sorry if I explained myself wrong. What I've been doing with all my mp3 players and phones is just copy-pasting folders into the internal (or SD) memory and just open the app and browse folders.

There is no reason to not set up track metadata. You will open yourself up to a magical new world when you stop relying on folder structure.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Naffer posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention this in this thread yet, but apparently Blu is releasing two windows phones. Both devices are dual-sim and unlocked.
The first is $89 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/BLU-4-Inch-Windows-Unlocked-Phones-White/dp/B00M9KSSUI/) and comes with 4GB storage and 512 MB RAM.

Oh wow, Snapdragon 200 4 Gb internal and 512 ram, I'd really caution against this device. At least until some reviews show it's not as weak as it looks on paper.

A $129 Moto E may well blow this away (I know ewww Android).

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

$40 can be a lot depending on circumstances; a week's worth of groceries for a family, for example.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Factor Mystic posted:

There is no reason to not set up track metadata. You will open yourself up to a magical new world when you stop relying on folder structure.

For some stupid reason my phone has trouble with Chinese characters in the ID3 tags, meaning that in some cases I can never ever find a song even if I know the exact file name and location.

On the plus side, outside of this specific situation metadata means I don't really have to sort any of the files and can just dump them all onto the phone.

furaxu
Oct 23, 2010

LifeSizePotato posted:

Is there a good reason to use the Nokia camera app over the WP8.1 app on a 1520 if all you use it for is point-and-shoot? The Nokia one seems more awkward to use and I can't tell if it's taking better pictures or anything. I don't see myself using the animated "live photos" or whatever either.

I don't have 8.1 but the Nokia app takes much better photos on my 521, particularly in low light. Downside is it takes 6-7 seconds to launch whereas the default is about 2 seconds.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Since we on camera chat, does Nokia cam replace Nokia Smart Cam?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Has there been any word on the HTC One W8 coming to ATT?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Does anyone know why the camera app on my 930 might be deciding to randomly launch itself without me doing anything? It happens 2 or 3 times a week.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Factor Mystic posted:

Can you elaborate? My mp3 collection just doesn't seem amenable to metadata. What I did was copy my hierarchical directory structure into the "genre" tag, so that I could at least browse it in iTunes.

* I don't use concept of "Album". As for "Artist", it's sometimes the composer and sometimes the musician.

* I like to drill down in folders. For instance, I'm in the mood for some Baroque music, I check out what I've got, settle on Bach, and decide from there which piece and which recording to play. Or I feel like listening to some comedy as I fall asleep, and out of my 3000 odd recordings, I'll browse through and pick ones that will make sense.

code:
Music
+- Baroque
| +- Bach
| |  +- Goldberg Variations
| |  |  +- Glenn Gould 1955
| |  |  |  +- [00] Aria.mp3
| |  |  |  +- [01] 1 clavier.mp3
| |  |  |  +- ...
| |  |  +- Glenn Gould 1981
| |  +- Cantatas
| |  +- Clavier
| +- Biber
| +- Vivaldi
| +- Handel
|
+- Talk - nonfiction
+- Talk - drama
+- Talk - comedy
   +- The 99p Challenge
   +- Dead Ringers
   +- I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue
   |  +- [200 files; filenames show date of first broadcast]
   +- Mark Watson
      +- [01] lust.mp3
      +- [02] gluttony.mp3
      +- [03] envy.mp3
All of my "talk" files are ones I recorded off the radio, so there's no automatic metadata tagging. I'd have to manually edit tags on all of them. I've actually found Windows Explorer and folders an easier UI for editing all that information - I can copy, drag, paste, do batch renames and all of that.

furaxu
Oct 23, 2010

wormil posted:

Since we on camera chat, does Nokia cam replace Nokia Smart Cam?

It replaces both Smart Camera and Pro Camera.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Guillermus posted:

Quoting you again since I had a few days to try out the phone both on working and non-working days. After messing with my 925 with Cyan 8.1 (still don't have cortana in my region :spain:) I have to compare battery life to my main phone, a Galaxy S4 (i9505) with stock android (less battery demanding than Samsung's touchwiz). After 17 hours since last charge, is on 64% and I've been using it like my S4 wich is mainly whatsapp messaging, some browsing and at 40-50mins of music playing while I run. Seems to be on par with my S4 despite this one having a 2600mAh battery (vs 2000mAh on the 925) same screen family (Super AMOLED vs Amoled on Nokia) and a slightly smaller screen on my 925 (4.5" vs 5"). To my eyes and considering that I honestly used my phone a bit more than usual seems fantastic so far for me.

Take in mind that I'm not a heavy user during work days and I can stretch my S4's battery for 35-40h without charging it and still have about 30% remaining so the 925 has good battery life for my day to day use considering its smaller battery wich makes me think two things, that WP 8.1 is really nice and that even my stock Android 4.4.4 with all sorts of stuff to keep power usage lower (rooted, using an app to hibernate power hungry stuff etc) still shows that Android L can't come soon enough to really make a difference when it comes to battery life.

Man, I'm super jealous. I don't know what's different about my settings, but after about 12 hours (from time I unplug phone from charger to the time I get home from work) my battery is in the 40s, and that's with 2-2.5 hours of use during my commute, and the rest of the day just being in standby (and maybe checking the chat app a couple of times). Basically, my battery drain is 15-20% per hour of active use, and 2-3% per hour on standby.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

LentThem posted:

Man, I'm super jealous. I don't know what's different about my settings, but after about 12 hours (from time I unplug phone from charger to the time I get home from work) my battery is in the 40s, and that's with 2-2.5 hours of use during my commute, and the rest of the day just being in standby (and maybe checking the chat app a couple of times). Basically, my battery drain is 15-20% per hour of active use, and 2-3% per hour on standby.

That's odd.I normally get 2-3 days out of my 930. Admittedly I don't use it for music, just web browsing, forum browsing, and communication type stuff - email, sms, calls etc.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
After a couple of weeks with 8.1 gotta say that Cortana is seriously useful and the speech recognition is scary good.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

The Lord Bude posted:

That's odd.I normally get 2-3 days out of my 930. Admittedly I don't use it for music, just web browsing, forum browsing, and communication type stuff - email, sms, calls etc.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is doing a hard reset without restoring from backups. Maybe I have some bugged settings somewhere.

But that's going to waste half a weekend.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

furaxu posted:

It replaces both Smart Camera and Pro Camera.

Thanks. I read some pretty harsh reviews on Nokia Cam and am hesitant to install it if it replaces Smart Cam.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Whenever I connect my phone to something via Bluetooth, the volume rocker will ONLY ever operate for that Bluetooth connection from there on out. Even after disconnecting the device and straight up turning Bluetooth OFF on the phone. Want to adjust the ringer or call volume? Nope, it will only adjust a non-existent Bluetooth connection. Trying to watch a Netflix video and want to turn the volume up? Nope. Still trying to adjust a Bluetooth connection.

Anyone else run into this bug?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

No, never seen that, and I use Bluetooth audio several times a day every day. Negative answers don't help you much though I guess :)

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Does anyone know why the camera app on my 930 might be deciding to randomly launch itself without me doing anything? It happens 2 or 3 times a week.

This happens almost daily on my 1520. Only happened after 8.1 DP, and not fixed by Cyan or update 1.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

And another issue: every now and then the volume (all volumes, for alarms, notifications, ringtone, general typing sounds, etc) disables itself and the only way to get sound back is to reboot the phone. I rely on the phone for an alarm clock, if it ever happened overnight it could be an issue, although granted at worst 1 day per week is a 'hard' wakeup for me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think as long as I've owned a WP phone I've been extremely glad I don't use Bluetooth for anything. Has Bluetooth ever not been broken on this OS?

e: also I just ?-button'ed all of my posts in this thread and I'm pretty sure :shrug: is my #1-used emoticon here, lol

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 9, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Bluetooth works for me when pairing my phone to my surface for Office remote, but that's probably no help. :smith:

Bude, I do get that no audio bug once in a while, but only with Cortana. Never had it happen to music, calls, notifications, alarms, and the like. I do keep the keyboard silent on purpose.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My Nokia suddenly went into rebooting loop. Googling suggests this is an 8.1 problem but I'm still on 8.0. Took the battery out for a few minutes then returned it and restarted the phone. That stopped the reboot loop temporarily but the date/time was screwed up. A soft reset didn't fix that problem. Turning date auto update off then on fixed the date. If it starts again I'll have to try a hard reset. Frustrating. Anyone else experience this?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well, that's something I guess, but they really need to get something out there to replace the 920/925 and 1020:

quote:

AT&T confirmed it will add the Nokia Lumia 830 to its leading portfolio of Windows Phone 8.1 devices. Further details on pricing and availability will be announced at a later date.

http://about.att.com/story/att_to_carry_the_nokia_lumia_830.html

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Stick100 posted:

Oh wow, Snapdragon 200 4 Gb internal and 512 ram, I'd really caution against this device. At least until some reviews show it's not as weak as it looks on paper.

A $129 Moto E may well blow this away (I know ewww Android).

It looks pretty decent compared to the Lumia low-ends. Flash, FFC, ambient light sensor, dual-SIM, etc.

http://www.wpcentral.com/blu-win-jr-unboxing-windows-phone (video review)
http://www.bluproducts.com/index.php/win-jr

It's one of those android manufacturers slapping 8.1 on their android hardware. And I don't think people buy on price points alone anymore, I think they choose their ecosystems and then see what they can afford. Jumping ecosystems based on price every upgrade cycle just seems like a big headache.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Bought a Lumia 635 on a lark from T Mobile and using it is like when I went from a dumb phone to an iPhone. This is so different I feel all stupid and intimidated. Are these phones totally rad?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

vigorous sodomy posted:

Bought a Lumia 635 on a lark from T Mobile and using it is like when I went from a dumb phone to an iPhone. This is so different I feel all stupid and intimidated. Are these phones totally rad?

:stare:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Soon you'll be rearranging tiles for aesthetic and not practical reasons and searching for the perfect start screen background. :unsmigghh:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I use my second-favorite podcast manager since my otherwise favorite has an ugly non-theme-color tile. This is important stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

God I love playing with the tiles. So many options for spatial ordering when you've got 3 different icon sizes and a scrolling one-page app screen.

And as for the low-end processor and RAM on the low-end WP devices, my 635 (Snapdragon 400, 512MB) is... not impressing me. I knew it was going to be worse than my iPhone 5, but I thought it would at least be better than my iPhone 4. Even though the 635's processor probably beats the A4 in benchmarks and has the same amount of RAM as the old iPhone, it's markedly slower in real life use.

Someone kind of challenged me when I noted before that the animation seemed a little choppy at times, so I've been watching for it and it definitely is there, especially when resuming an app or going back to the home screen. But what really bothers me is how it never seems to save the state of an app if I go out of it for more than a couple of minutes. Halfway through a podcast and I need to check my email and get the weather forecast? When I go back to podcasts, it has to re-initialize and my place won't be saved, so I have to use the tiny timeline to scrub back to (approximately) where I left off. In the middle of composing an email and I want to listen to a podcast for a while? When I get back to the email app, my draft is gone. It's like that with the browser, games, everything, it seems like. And apps just crash too, often enough for it to be annoying. I've also had two total lock-ups this week. Had to pull the battery both times to get the device to turn off; it wouldn't respond to the physical buttons at all.

The iPhone always kept my poo poo ready for me when I came back to it. I guess it's the OS software that makes the difference, though, because 512MB and a 1GHz single-core processor on the iPhone seemed to be just fine.

Otherwise, it's a really decent phone. But there are some definite drawbacks.